Matt Lowne’s entire channel has been copyright claimed

ProtoJeb21

Matt posted an update video: 

As you may have guessed, YouTube is doing nothing other than saying they’re going to “look into it”. SonyATV has also copyright claimed a few other videos that didn’t even have the “Dreams” song. But KSP content will continue regardless.

1 hour ago, ProtoJeb21 said:

they’re going to “look into it”

They're OBVIOUSLY lying. [snip] we need to dig up the facts on our own.

1 hour ago, ProtoJeb21 said:

KSP content will continue regardless.

Good for @Matt Lowne. I hope he also gives these scumbags exactly what they deserve.

Edited by Gargamel
Portions Redacted by Moderator

1 hour ago, Mars-Bound Hokie said:

They're OBVIOUSLY lying. [snip] we need to dig up the facts on our own. .

It happens everywhere. Lying is cheap, proof of being right it's expensive. Do the math. :/

Edited by Gargamel
Portions of Quote Redacted by Moderator

2 minutes ago, Lisias said:

Lying is cheap, proof of being right it's expensive. Do the math. :/

If lying is cheap AND has no repercussions, then we should give them a taste of their own medicine. Shouldn't we?

• Eye for an eye.

Any ideas on how to force an investigation?

They're OBVIOUSLY lying. [snip] we need to dig up the facts on our own.

That’s why I put it in quotations. Once YouTube says that, you know they’re not going to give you a second thought, especially if you’re so far under 1 million subs like Matt. It’s a cheap way of letting you think they might do something when in reality they’re just going to forget you and focus on the money-making 10+ mil channels. 

Edited by Gargamel
Portions of Quote Redacted by Moderator

2 minutes ago, Mars-Bound Hokie said:

If lying is cheap AND has no repercussions, then we should give them a taste of their own medicine. Shouldn't we?

• Eye for an eye.

I don't know you, mate - but I have only two eyes (three, depending on your local slang… :sticktongue:).

Companies have thousands of eyes to spare. The only way to fight back is with our money - just don't buy anything that would render them some money. But if enough people would be willing to do that, they would not be doing it.

(sigh)

Similar fights had been won in the past by the good ones, however. I just don't know how to fight this one without getting killed on the process. :)

In a way or another, Sony ATV is on my blacklist forever.

1 minute ago, Lisias said:

In a way or another, Sony ATV is on my blacklist forever.

It'll take more than just a boycott by liquided-off Matt Lowne fans to make Sony suffer. 

• Yes, I know that Sony ATV is a branch of the Sony corporation itself - but I don't care. You mess with the kerbal fans, you get the Kraken.

You got any other ideas on how to make them pay for what they did (e.g. smear campaign - with facts, this time)?

Perhaps Matt should consider contacting his local network news, specifically whichever department stands up for consumers (in my locale, Global News has "Consumer Matters" and CTV has "... On Your Side"). When some little guy has a dispute with a "big bad company" (such as an overbilling matter the company refuses to correct, amongst other things) they will do a report on it. It's amazing how quickly a company will change its tune when faced with bad publicity. There would be two targets here, Sony ATV and YouTube.

Now, before we go and get our pitch forks and torches, let's stop and think about something.

You have no idea who you're actually mad at.

Sony isn't the one who filed the copyright claim.   Most of the digital Copyright and DMCA claims (like downloading bootleg movies and such) come from third party agents that have signed up the copyright holders as clients.   These small companies are hired to protect the copyright holder's IP's across the internet.  So they are constantly searching the internet for infringers, and hit ISP's and web sites with DMCA claims when the discover one of their clients IP's being stolen.    The client themselves don't actually do the hunting or the claiming.  Furthermore, these companies are usually paid per claim that survives any appeal process, so they are basically encouraged to claim as much as they can.  

So while you can get angry if you want, don't get angry at the IP holder who is just trying to protect their asset by employing an outsider contractor to do so, be mad at the contractor for making this claim.   And good luck figuring out who that contractor is. 

Just now, Gargamel said:

Now, before we go and get our pitch forks and torches, let's stop and think about something.

You have no idea who you're actually mad at.

Sony isn't the one who filed the copyright claim.   Most of the digital Copyright and DMCA claims (like downloading bootleg movies and such) come from third party agents that have signed up the copyright holders as clients.   These small companies are hired to protect the copyright holder's IP's across the internet.  So they are constantly searching the internet for infringers, and hit ISP's and web sites with DMCA claims when the discover one of their clients IP's being stolen.    The client themselves don't actually do the hunting or the claiming.  Furthermore, these companies are usually paid per claim that survives any appeal process, so they are basically encouraged to claim as much as they can.  

So while you can get angry if you want, don't get angry at the IP holder who is just trying to protect their asset by employing an outsider contractor to do so, be mad at the contractor for making this claim.   And good luck figuring out who that contractor is. 

Fair point. But as the employer/client of the infringement hunting contractor, the IP holder has the ability and the duty to tell their contractor when to cease-and-desist. And putting the pressure on the IP holder would be the quickest way to get through to the trolling agent, who probably gets paid per infringement found/countered. 

15 minutes ago, Gargamel said:

...So while you can get angry if you want, don't get angry at the IP holder who is just trying to protect their asset by employing an outsider contractor to do so, be mad at the contractor for making this claim.   And good luck figuring out who that contractor is.

IMO if one company hires a bad actor to act on their behalf, the original company still shares responsibility.

You got any other ideas on how to make them pay for what they did (e.g. smear campaign - with facts, this time)?

Small dogs don't fight big ones. Wee need to find a big dog willing to fight with us, or...

Spoiler

b624d0c07357e293d5c5f88ce601ca16.jpg

Edited by Lisias

20 minutes ago, Gargamel said:

Sony isn't the one who filed the copyright claim.   Most of the digital Copyright and DMCA claims (like downloading bootleg movies and such) come from third party agents that have signed up the copyright holders as clients.

Vicarious liability. Also, take in consideration that we are talking about UK laws here, not USA's. Things there are a bit different.

16 minutes ago, Gargamel said:

For a guy (I think) still living at home with his parents, making about $75,000 a year (based on a variety of youtube income tracking sites), I'm pretty sure he can get a decent enough lawyer to fight this fight for him. 

Frankly, irrelevant. He got stroke for something that any youtuber are susceptible. It affects me, as audience, and also some friends of mine also youtubers. Where he lives and how he earns should not be an issue about fighting abuse.

Abuse is abuse, and should be handled as such.

Spoiler

Poem_by_Martin_Niemoeller_at_the_the_Hol

3 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

Like how if you use someone's music and they promise it's totes legit but then later you find out it's not?

It was legit, at least the music author was reached about.

But yet, he once used Starman under agreement of the copyright holder. But then, when Elon Musk secured exclusive rights for the music for the time of the Tesla launch, that video became inaccessible some time before the launch until sometime later. And then the video was reinstated.

It's just how these guys work. They're sociopaths.

--- post edit---

Just found this. Some years ago someone else tried to register the music as its own.

It's copyright trolling no doubt about.

https://mobile.twitter.com/JoakimKarud/status/916926031189168128#

— post post edit — 

It appeasr that the music author had used a sample used on a music from the Sony ATV portfolio.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Th3Jez/status/1195793057620221952

it worths to mention that Sweet Bitter Symphony, from The Verve, got into this exact drama. They had sough the permission to use a 5 notes sample from one music from Rolling Stones at 50% of the royalties- at the time, the Stones was running their own label, and choose a shady guy to run it. Some time later, that shady guy just sued The Verve for that sample, ignoring the agreement and forcing The Verbe to wave 100% of the music royalties, as they didn't have money for the fight . This thing ended only on 2018, by the way,

Edited by Lisias
Post edit

And now it’s on Slashdot — pretty much as mainstream as it gets in tech.

It’s not the first time and won’t be the last time. I remembered that Sony blocked Blender’s yearly movie that they sponsored. I think the sponsoring was actually part of the problem, as the bot likely saw the word “Sony” and assumed it was Sony owned content.

As @5thHorseman pointed out; you’re creating content on a platform you don’t own distributed through a platform you don’t own. There’s very little expectations you’re entitled to at that point, sadly.

50 minutes ago, Kerbart said:

And now it’s on Slashdot — pretty much as mainstream as it gets in tech.

It's long the days when Slashdot was The One way to smash baddies (and some friends too) using the Slashdot Effect. (I miss Cmdr Taco times)

But it still can be useful, as it appears.

I'm going to lose some carma there. :D

17 hours ago, Mars-Bound Hokie said:

It'll take more than just a boycott by liquided-off Matt Lowne fans to make Sony suffer. 

• Yes, I know that Sony ATV is a branch of the Sony corporation itself - but I don't care. You mess with the kerbal fans, you get the Kraken.

bro you just posted cringe, you're gonna loose subscriber

3 hours ago, Lisias said:

It's long the days when Slashdot was The One way to smash baddies (and some friends too) using the Slashdot Effect. (I miss Cmdr Taco times)

But it still can be useful, as it appears.

I'm going to lose some carma there. :D

Cmdr Taco... how long ago did he retire? 10 years ago?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.