Matt Lowne’s entire channel has been copyright claimed

ProtoJeb21

2 hours ago, Dartguy said:

Sony is dead to me.  I'll never give them another penny.

It's going to be hard, as Sony is at the top of the big three companies in musical production. Their grip does not even stop there, a case (funny to my perspective) is in the case of digital cameras, where as always the lovers of some brands shoot at each other because, "Canon is the best.  NO! Fujifilm is the best!  What?! Everyone knows that Nikon has the best products!  Impossible, it's Panasonic! etc." while almost all those brand are almost using Sony's censors and chips only.

So let me get this straight....

Sony makes a supposedly rightful claim to an IP they own, which was supposedly listed as copyright free in a YouTube library.  YouTube somehow loses track of this song in said library, and passes the copyright claims onto the end user.      And we're boycotting Sony?   :confused:

What do we want!?

Justice!

When do we want it?!

Right now!

How are we going to get it!?

Ummmmmmm......

9 minutes ago, XLjedi said:

so... I will never add music in a video on youtube.

Not only the music that you would add, but also any music which you are not directly responsible for playing.  Warner Music Group dropped a complain on three of my in-cabin aircraft landing videos during the last year, because the airline I flew with was playing a track under their records while taxiing to the gate.  Even worse, as I absolutely refuse to allow commercials on my few vids (I would not have enough subscribers to be eligible anyway) they only offer to mute the videos, or to delete them.

6 minutes ago, XLjedi said:

What else should I avoid?

Bad words, forbidden content, anything that could hurt all those little, innocent, and pure™ watchers from YouTube Kids... alas.  Still, that will not even protect you a bit of false reports from bots and other users.

13 minutes ago, Gargamel said:

Sony makes a supposedly rightful claim to an IP they own, which was supposedly listed as copyright free in a YouTube library.  YouTube somehow loses track of this song in said library, and passes the copyright claims onto the end user.      And we're boycotting Sony?   :confused:

Hmm, yes, apparently YouTube should shoulder some of the blowback from this, since apparently it is their error somewhere. What are the alternatives to YT again?

I have to wonder if there is any way to prove that the music in question came from YAL?

Disclaimer: I haven't watched any of Matt's videos; in fact, I don't watch any streamers on YT, Twitch, or anywhere else. Occasionally I'll watch a Manley video or something similar. But this circus is....  

Spoiler

2uyk82.jpg

Just now, 5thHorseman said:

Posting videos

Or being creative, for that matter.

YouTube's already taking enough crap for censoring conservative opinions (at least in the U.S.), but it's worse when it censors innocent creativity and fun. Eventually, if they don't get their act together, enough people will say "THAT'S IT!" and either force them to change or go out of business.

• Basically, if we are to let freedom live, we'll let YouTube die if need be.

If anyone here's good with web design, you might want to start a replacement video-watching site - at least for KSP videos (to start). And I personally wouldn't recommend using any Google products (e.g. Google Sites) for the new website, for they're associated with the subhumans that are attacking Matt.

12 hours ago, Gargamel said:

And we're boycotting Sony?   :confused:

Off course! The very purpose of a boycott is to force companies to do the right thing, not the lawful ones - for the later, there're the Courts, if you can afford them.

It's what's called "vote with your wallet".

12 hours ago, Gargamel said:

What do we want!?

Justice!

When do we want it?!

Right now!

How are we going to get it!?

With our hands.

Edited by Lisias
miswordings

What is fascinating to me is that so many people seem to be genuinely surprised by the fact that youtube/sony/whoever-you-want-to-point-the-finger-at is acting exactly like a large faceless corporation.

55 minutes ago, Meecrob said:

What is fascinating to me is that so many people seem to be genuinely surprised by the fact that youtube/sony/whoever-you-want-to-point-the-finger-at is acting exactly like a large faceless corporation.

Even worse. That's how AI is defeating the humanity.

Demonetization of a few music videos for strong language or copyrighted songs was fine. It’s just YouTube being an amazing person, and that is acceptable, because that’s just what YouTube does.

But copyright-claiming his entire channel? That’s the last straw! YouTube has ascended past amazing person and achieved ultra-enemy of state-instinct. That’s not acceptable! The terms of use haven’t even changed yet! That’s in almost 3 weeks! What the hell?!

YouTube’s terms of use? More like the terms of which they will abuse you on! 

On 11/18/2019 at 5:59 PM, Mars-Bound Hokie said:

It'll take more than just a boycott by liquided-off Matt Lowne fans to make Sony suffer. 

Then lets do more than that! They take away our idol, they get smote from the heavens by bolts of pure and unbridled IQ points that they have no way to defend against. Simple as that. The average IQ of a KSP forums user is proven to be more than VIGINTUPLE that of the entire YouTube and Sony workforce, COMBINED.

RISE, GAMERS! LET THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS LIVE OUT TO THE END OF TIME BURNING IN THE DEPTHS OF TARTARUS!

15 hours ago, Mars-Bound Hokie said:

subhumans

Hear hear!

Though the phrase “Unworthy of the gift of life spawn of a being worse than satan, condemned to eternal punishment from birth for the sins they will commit in their lives” seems significantly more fitting

2 hours ago, Fraston said:

Then lets do more than that! They take away our idol, they get smote from the heavens by bolts of pure and unbridled IQ points that they have no way to defend against. Simple as that.

Nice call-to-arms, but it will take more than that too.

2 hours ago, Fraston said:

The average IQ of a KSP forums user is proven to be more than VIGINTUPLE that of the entire YouTube and Sony workforce, COMBINED.

Then we should be able to come up with feasible ACTION PLANS against these crackhead losers.

• And if we can, so can the God of SSTOs himself.

Since we work on our kerbal space programs (more or less) individually, imagine what we can do TOGETHER. Any ideas, everyone?

1 hour ago, ProtoJeb21 said:

Of course it won’t. 

They'd better, unless they want to incur our wrath and have their lives ruined... PERMANENTLY.

• Oops, too late for that.

L9MN4NK.jpg

• Pretty much a last-resort plan. If they won't side with us and do what's right - not only for Matt, but for all their previous censored victims -  we'll make sure YouTube shuts down forever.
    • If they keep censoring us without reason, we'll censor them too without mercy.

We will then welcome our own, new website where we can show our KSP creations in peace. Anyone here feel up for the task?

1 hour ago, Mars-Bound Hokie said:

We will then welcome our own, new website where we can show our KSP creations in peace. Anyone here feel up for the task?

Give away unlimited bandwidth for free AND fight on behalf of your customers freeloaders against the major copyright holders, also for free?

Who WOULDN'T jump at that opportunity!

A random free music customizable generator is what we need.

Where is the world-wide open-source community when they are actually needed?

P.S.
Just imagine the composition titles: "A Mozart-like drum-n-bass adagio "Seed 0x455EA7756BEF865"."

Edited by kerbiloid

6 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

Give away unlimited bandwidth for free AND fight on behalf of your customers freeloaders against the major copyright holders, also for free?

Who WOULDN'T jump at that opportunity!

Only as a last resort. After all, if YouTube finally gets shut down, we'll still need some place to watch each other's videos, right?

Which brings me to this question (aside from any action plan ideas): Should we try to

1. Save YouTube
    1. PROS: 
      1. We'll get our beloved content-sharing platform back
      2. Innocent content creators that have nothing to do with what happened to Matt won't suffer in the end.
    2. CONS:
      1. Executives may betray us.
        1. Will need some kind of "Leverage"-style contingency plan and/or legal agreement
  2. Let it live/die on its own
  3. Kill it
    1. PROS:
      1. Revenge Justice for their repeated civil rights violations.
      2. They're hurting normal content creators anyway, so YouTube's death may make no significant difference to them
    2. CONS:
      1. Average everyday content creators (YT victims or not) who don't even know Matt will be hurt as well.
      2. We'll have to rebuild on our own

b4z0sDK.png

As much as I like Matt he is still a small channel relative to other larger channels. and the ksp community is one of the best forum/game community I have ever seen. I honestly don't think it will matter that it happened. If it happened to some massive channel like pewdiepie then the impact might be bigger and force actual change. This happened to mumbojumbo(a channel much larger than Matt's) and Youtube didn't do anything to help

Edited by lapis

On 11/18/2019 at 7:08 PM, Gargamel said:

For a guy (I think) still living at home with his parents, making about $75,000 a year (based on a variety of youtube income tracking sites)

Neither here nor there, he's also an ophthalmology practitioner of some stripe (it's not clear to me whether he's got a full MD yet, or going for nurse, or residency, or whatever).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.