Will Skyhook tech be available in KSP 2?

Bej Kerman

11 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

That doesn't change that it will require special code to handle.

What do you mean 'special code'? I'm pretty sure KSP 2 wants to handle time warp, physics and physics ranges much differently than KSP's alphabetti spaghetti code.

Given we have no information on how exactly KSP2 will handle physics range, or if physics range will even exist, let's not get into an argument about the fine print of the game while we haven't even seen the cover letter yet. 

6 hours ago, Gargamel said:

haven't even seen the cover letter yet. 

Dying for new infos.

On the skyhook it's an interesting concept but I don't get the catch, can't be that easy, no?

15 minutes ago, Master39 said:

Dying for new infos.

On the skyhook it's an interesting concept but I don't get the catch, can't be that easy, no?

I can't imagine that it's that straight forward. Outside of the issues they say, I can see many problems due to materials and the physics of the individual components. I keep seeing the hook being unintentionally reeled up like fishing line or being deviated by huge amounts when it catches or collides with something.

Sounds rather fun, but I'm not sure I see that much advantage compared to a space elevator. Just shorter string won't be that advantageous, if you end with much higher load on it due to swinging and higher propellant expenses for keeping the counterweight in orbit.

Anyway, it would be quite interesting to have support for such superstructures. And it probably should be quite doable with some smart design to avoid full simulation of both ends

On 11/17/2019 at 8:39 AM, Bej Kerman said:

What do you mean 'special code'? I'm pretty sure KSP 2 wants to handle time warp, physics and physics ranges much differently than KSP's alphabetti spaghetti code.

A discussion of why it would be hard would get long and have a lot of technical stuff in it that would likely be both hard to follow and not very interesting to anyone who's not a programmer.

Suffice to say that it would be hard and require a lot of special-casing and likely be more trouble than it's worth.  My guess is that it's extremely unlikely to happen.  Way too much work and risk for nowhere near enough benefit.

15 hours ago, Alchemist said:

Sounds rather fun, but I'm not sure I see that much advantage compared to a space elevator. Just shorter string won't be that advantageous, if you end with much higher load on it due to swinging and higher propellant expenses for keeping the counterweight in orbit.

Anyway, it would be quite interesting to have support for such superstructures. And it probably should be quite doable with some smart design to avoid full simulation of both ends

The advantage is that we could do this with current materials; space elevators would require the mass-production of flawless carbon nanotubes to get the borderline strength necessary.

But neither will happen anytime soon anyway. We (humans) haven't even refueled a ship in orbit; let alone develop the needed infrastructure and organizational resources to build megastructures. No country or corporations are willing to assume that burden financially or the inherent risk with these projects.

Baby steps are being taken through, and it's looking like all of the above may change in the coming decades.

On 11/18/2019 at 4:56 PM, Incarnation of Chaos said:

But neither will happen anytime soon anyway. We (humans) haven't even refueled a ship in orbit; let alone develop the needed infrastructure and organizational resources to build megastructures. No country or corporations are willing to assume that burden financially or the inherent risk with these projects.

Doesn't the Progress module regularly refuel ISS?  Does that not count for some reason?

https://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/station/structure/elements/progress_about.html

Personally, I prefer the 'Fountain' approach, as that lets you start small and on the ground to prove everything works as expected and cheaply, then you just increase the number (and speed?) of the kinetic elements as your platform rises higher and higher.  The hardest part seems like it would be building the vacuum tube as you climb higher...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_fountain

On 11/18/2019 at 7:08 PM, Snark said:

A discussion of why it would be hard would get long and have a lot of technical stuff in it that would likely be both hard to follow and not very interesting to anyone who's not a programmer.

Suffice to say that it would be hard and require a lot of special-casing and likely be more trouble than it's worth.  My guess is that it's extremely unlikely to happen.  Way too much work and risk for nowhere near enough benefit.

Sounds like you don't know what you're talking about. You can't say it'll be easy or hard to implement, because you appear to be suggesting you aren't a programmer.

1 minute ago, Bej Kerman said:

Sounds like you don't know what you're talking about. You can't say it'll be easy or hard to implement, because you appear to be suggesting you aren't a programmer.

Actually, my intention was to indicate that,

• I do have an idea of what I'm talking about, since 1. I am in fact a programmer (have been shipping software for a living for >25 years), and 2. I've got a fair amount of understanding of what makes KSP tick under the hood, since I've been modding it a fair amount for the last few years, and
  • actually going into the reasons would likely be tedious, lengthy, uninteresting, and likely rather cryptic to anyone who's not a programmer, which I assume would encompass most of the audience in the thread.

Just now, Snark said:

Actually, my intention was to indicate that,

• I do have an idea of what I'm talking about, since 1. I am in fact a programmer (have been shipping software for a living for >25 years), and 2. I've got a fair amount of understanding of what makes KSP tick under the hood, since I've been modding it a fair amount for the last few years, and
  • actually going into the reasons would likely be tedious, lengthy, uninteresting, and likely rather cryptic to anyone who's not a programmer, which I assume would encompass most of the audience in the thread.

Would you like to go into the reasons anyways?

18 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

Sure, but it would likely be one of those massive Walls of Text™ to which I am prone, and would take a while to set down.  So it'd need to be later when I have time.  IRL stuff beckons at the moment.  ;)

14 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

To start with, you would need very large precision for very large objects and very high relative speeds for those objects.(if you are in position, would you want the hook to have a 99.999% chance of skipping past your position instead of grabbing your ship?  If not, the system will need to run physics calculations for any sort of sky-hook parts(including ships trying to catch a sky-hook)) 100,000 times more often than is done for any other parts in the game, causing a lot of slow-down).  More than just a massive slow-down this will change how other things interact with those sky-hook compatible parts and may need a whole separate approach to implementing physics.

Because both the numbers and the precision needs to be so high, it will probably not be able to use any of the standard data-types, meaning a lot of custom-coded calculations using bits of math that can't take advantage of CPU optimizations like floating-point look-ups(yes, it is often faster to look up a calculation in a table than to do the math yourself, even if you are a computer.  Remember the problem with Pentiums?  That was bad numbers in a look-up table)

Because KSP players like to home-brew, every single part that gets close to being in-range of a sky-hook will need microsecond-increment physics simulation in case someone decides to make a custom sky-hook handle out of fuel tanks or something.(or else the hook will just skip past the entire ship without interacting with it)

The accuracy and precision needed to use a sky-hook successfully requires extensive computer calculations and control, making it wholly unsuitable for the sort of seat-of-your-pants flying that is encouraged in KSP.

Just a few reasons I can't imagine seeing anything even close to a sky-hook in KSP2.

Im about 99.999% sure its safe to say no. Did you see anything like that in the trailer? Have the devs discussed it? Regardless the difficulty of implementing it, the futuristic engines and ability to build in space makes it redundant, imo.

Edited by harrisjosh2711

It definitely shouldn't (and pretty much can't) be done by simulating the entire thing, let alone custom-built from small parts. But if when you approach the end the things actually simulated are the few parts on the end and then there is just the structure going into the distance simulating the rest of the thing with all the inertia (yes, completely custom code for a specific part) - that's something plausible.

Anyway, docking to the hook would be a very Kerbal piloting experience. Because, even if the horizontal speed is matched, you are still on suborbital trajectory and gravity pulls you down, while the thing you are trying to dock with has upwards acceleration (due to its rotation). Which would probably be even more complicated than precision landing with VTOL. (Of course, tethered drone option does allow to get a few moments of 0g maneuvering, but quite a narrow window at that)

2 hours ago, Terwin said:

Doesn't the Progress module regularly refuel ISS?  Does that not count for some reason?

https://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/station/structure/elements/progress_about.html

Personally, I prefer the 'Fountain' approach, as that lets you start small and on the ground to prove everything works as expected and cheaply, then you just increase the number (and speed?) of the kinetic elements as your platform rises higher and higher.  The hardest part seems like it would be building the vacuum tube as you climb higher...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_fountain

If i remember correctly it's transfering RCS fuel (Hydrozine), so technically you're correct because i failed to further qualify my statement xD