How Hyperspace Time Variances Could Effect Commerce

Spacescifi

Scenario: Three types of scifi hyperdrives are available to you.

Class I: A small drive that can be fitted on small vessels. Hyperspace travel time is a lightyear covered per 30 minutes. Yet in reality, outside 30 days passes for every 30 min of hyperspace travel. So about 2 hours would get you to Proxima Centauri, but when you arrive 4 months will have passed.

Class II: A medium size drive for medium size vessels neither gigantic nor small. Hyperspace travel is a LY per 15 min, outside 15 days pass per LY traveled.

Class III: Large hyperdrives for large vessels. Five min per LY in hyperspace, equal to 5 days passing outside per LY.

Throttling down: You can also throttle down the hyperdrives to go lightspeed, in which there is no time variance. Useful mainly for interplanetary cruising.

My analysis: Class I hyperdrives are best for explorers I think, and Class II hyperdrives could be used for cheaper shipping for longer wait times, but by and large the Class 3 hyperdrives would reign supreme in shipping.

Big ships would be the fastest ever.

Did I miss anything that you can add to my analysis?

EDIT: I have no clue how close these travel times compare to modern sea shipping, but I have a feeling they are similar, and faster in some cases.

EDIT 2: I think the ability to skip several months into the future within a few hours woukd be nice ability to have, if only to see rapid progress.

Whoa... I just figured it out! Passenger ride fares would be a healthy source of income. Don't wanna wait months for your package to arrive? Hitch a ride in hyperspace and the wait will only be a few hours.

Sure, months of time will pass outside, but who cares? You want your package ASAP!

Edited by Spacescifi

Plan A.

1. Make rum. Leave in dungeon. Skip time. Sell.
2. Make rum. Leave in dungeon. Skip time. Sell.
3. Make rum. Leave in dungeon. Skip time. Sell.

Plan B.

Grab a junk can. Skip 5000 years. Sell to a museum.
Golden watches can be recommended as well. Better from various clockmakers.

Plan C.

Buy some land next to big city. Skip 100 years. Reappear, show your DNA, ask for money.

Plan D.

Take a credit. Then you know what's next.

Plan E.

Maybe in the future they don't know about herbalife.

Edited by kerbiloid

4 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

Plan A.

1. Make rum. Leave in dungeon. Skip time. Sell.
2. Make rum. Leave in dungeon. Skip time. Sell.
3. Make rum. Leave in dungeon. Skip time. Sell.

Plan B.

Grab a junk can. Skip 5000 years. Sell to a museum.
Golden watches can be recommended as well. Better from various clockmakers.

Plan C.

Buy some land next to big city. Skip 100 years. Reappear, show your DNA, ask for money.

Plan D.

Take a credit. Then you know what's next.

Plan E.

Maybe in the future they don't know about herbalife.

Only if taken to extremes... since such drives expend fuel so their are limits on range without refueling.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.