Best way to track new/updated mods?

Motokid600

I miss this thread.

That was my checklist when throwing new installs together. Now I just browse the addon-release page and space dock. But I can only imagine all the mods im missing by just skimming through each. So what does everyone use now a days to track this? I would love just a simple list of all mods currently updated. Can CKAN do this? Ive never touched it, but if I could use it as such that would perfect. However im under the impression that even CKAN doesnt list all the mods as some cannot be installed with it.

23 minutes ago, Motokid600 said:

Now I just browse the addon-release page and space dock. But I can only imagine all the mods im missing by just skimming through each. So what does everyone use now a days to track this? I would love just a simple list of all mods currently updated. Can CKAN do this? Ive never touched it, but if I could use it as such that would perfect.

Yes, this is one of the main things CKAN does.

23 minutes ago, Motokid600 said:

However im under the impression that even CKAN doesnt list all the mods as some cannot be installed with it.

If you'd like to get a sense of which mods are in CKAN without using it, this page shows most of them:

http://status.ksp-ckan.space/

You can search in the filter box at the upper right, sort by Last Indexed to see which have updated recently, and check the frozen checkbox to include mods that haven't had an update in the last 1000 days. Hover a mod to access its "homepage" link which will generally go to the forum thread.

@Motokid600 This still seems to work:

Except for anything on Curse/CurseForge, since they changed their API. :(

but I've found very little thats on Curse, that isnt on SpaceDock. The nice thing about this app, is that it also uses forum links/threads, so it picks up LOTS of stuff that is *ONLY* available via Github, as well as stuff that is *NOT* on CKAN.

28 minutes ago, Stone Blue said:

it also uses forum links/threads, so it picks up LOTS of stuff that is *ONLY* available via Github, as well as stuff that is *NOT* on CKAN.

Does it? Checking the source code, it looks like it only sources data from SpaceDock, Curse, and CKAN:

https://github.com/akej74/ksp-mod-analyzer/blob/4597e58cc6c87e690fc5d3483aece86bb1df913d/ksp-mod-analyzer/main.py#L190-L218

The only reference to the forum is here where it renders a link to the forum, if it finds one in data from CKAN or SpaceDock:

https://github.com/akej74/ksp-mod-analyzer/blob/4597e58cc6c87e690fc5d3483aece86bb1df913d/ksp-mod-analyzer/mvc.py#L114-L115

5 hours ago, Motokid600 said:

But I can only imagine all the mods im missing by just skimming through each

do you have cookies disabled? You can see what's new every time you visit, and jump to the latest post by clicking on the star/circle to the left of the title. Doesn't take long. All I've ever done is check the forums at least once a day for the past 6 years and I haven't yet come across anything where I was like - how did I miss that? Plus mod checkers and the like only inform you of updates - you read the threads you get wind of problems and solutions that won't trip you up either. This is mainly why I've never bothered with any mod managers

Same here. Its just been so long since I played that there's alot of new mods I dont recognize, but for the most part grabbing everything off the forum does most of the job. However I wouldn't say no to a simple app that does nothing more then tracks mods and their versions. No auto install or updating. Which for the most part is what HebaruSan linked. I only wish it had categories, but beggars/choosers and such :P

Edited by Motokid600

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.