Servos broken in 1.8.x?

I'm trying to build a VTOL with servos that rotate the engine nacelles. It's not working like it used to. Either setting the rotation angle does nothing or it rotates only one of the pair. Anyone else seeing this problem? They worked fine in 1.7.3, this is a new phenomenon in 1.8.1.

Hmmm... My VTOL that I designed in with 1.7.3 works fine... A new test stand with a pair of F-12 servos placed in mirror symmetry also behaves as expected: when I set the target angle of one, then both of them move.

Hmm... curious. I'll have to try the usual things to see if it goes away. Thanks for testing it!

edit: ohoho, 8 files failed to validate and will be reacquired... hope that was it

edit 2: no it wasn't, servos still broken -- only one of the pair works :( ... ugh, debugging is my day job, not up to dealing with this right now

Edited by Guest

27 minutes ago, Brikoleur said:

ohoho, 8 files failed to validate and will be reacquired...

Yeah, I also usually get that. I guess that some files like "PartDatabase.cfg" etc. that are generated from other files by KSP are also in the Steam distribution, so that a Steam verify sees some modified files even if that's O.K.

On 11/22/2019 at 10:33 AM, Brikoleur said:

I'm trying to build a VTOL with servos that rotate the engine nacelles. It's not working like it used to.

I ran into what sounds like the same problem.

I believe there is a bug report active about this.

In my case I was using mirror symmetry (I assume this is the case for your VTOL) and the workaround that I have been using successfully required me to attach the servos using radial symmetry and then open the PAW for one of the two and click the 'Invert Direction' button.

I also needed to autostrut-to-grandparent the part which I attached to the servo and lock it for using the engine and unlock it (of course) to rotate the servo.

Anyway, that is working for me.  Good luck.

Happy landings!

• 1 month later...

I am having same issue with my build. trying to build a ducted fan craft that uses the servos for rotating the fans.

when I attach the fans in the hangar (SPH) and test the rotation there, they rotate properly. but when I go to the runway, the fans are stuck in position, but the servo still turns. and when I go back into the hangar, the breakage follows me back into the editor. I can reset the pieces and so on. but the whole issue just repeats itself. thought maybe I was doing 'it' wrong. glad to know it was probably bug at work.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1952439463

don't know if it's broken because the parts attached to the servo are not using symmetry, but the servos do (fans are configured for clockwise and counter clockwise rotation). will have to test to see what happens if I attach to both servos with symmetry configured parts

update: nope, servos attach nodes are completely broken.

Edited by Chris Solomon

issue seems to be with either servo node or ducted fan guard, or maybe both. I assembled a wheelsey engine and attached it to the servo in the same manner. but the servo and engine stayed properly attached to each other and servo was able to rotate the engine properly. I am guessing that the lack of a proper node from the ducted fan guard is the cause of the issue.

Edited by Chris Solomon

I had the same issue with servos, I had a pair that I wanted to rotate from 0-90 degrees, only one would rotate. No amount of changing the direction or limits would get them to rotate the other way. Removing symmetry didn't solve it. Allowing -90 to +90 rotation had them both rotate (and rotate in the same direction, not in opposite ones, as I wanted with symmetry on).

I guess it was fine for my design to be able to tilt the nacelles back, but... meh

• 1 month later...

Having the same issue (STILL), and noticed that it's only happening in the SPH.  If I switch editors over to the VAB, then the servos work.  So, I'm thinking that it's a bug.  It'd be really nice if they fixed this quicker...

*Edit:  just had the same issue happen in the VAB... :huh:

Edited by Lazarus MonkeyMan

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/5/2020 at 8:35 PM, KerikBalm said:

I had the same issue with servos, I had a pair that I wanted to rotate from 0-90 degrees, only one would rotate. No amount of changing the direction or limits would get them to rotate the other way. Removing symmetry didn't solve it. Allowing -90 to +90 rotation had them both rotate (and rotate in the same direction, not in opposite ones, as I wanted with symmetry on).

I have the same situation, and to add to the mystery downloaded craft like https://kerbalx.com/chargan/DERP (a propeller powered vtol) works fine. and i cant find any differences in the way i set them up.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.