Change In Velocity - An Alternate History of the Delta Rockets

DylanSemrau

Introduction:

August 26, 1998 - The Delta III rocket, carrying the Galaxy 10 satellite, loses control and explodes 1 minute and 20 seconds after liftoff. It's a tremendous failure for Boeing's brand new launch vehicle, and eventually sets the stage for the project's cancellation. But, what if this didn't happen? What if the Delta III was actually a major success, and how does that affect the next few decades of space exploration? That's what I'll be trying to explore here.

1O12BwZ.png

Table of Contents:

7VNHD0y.png

WTCQyDq.png

bBA0cEM.png

Edited by DylanSemrau

Chapter One:

August 26, 1998 - The brand new Delta III rocket, carrying the Galaxy 10 satellite, launches from Cape Canaveral Air Force Station. The launch is a success, sending the satellite into GTO and demonstrating the new Delta Cryogenic Second Stage, or DCSS. Boeing now has a rather capable launch vehicle. The switch from the upper stage used on the Delta II, to the high performing DCSS, means that the Delta III can send 2x the payload to GTO than it's predecessor. By this point Boeing had 18 planned launches for the new vehicle, 11 with Hughes Space and Communications International. 

1ZV6ceM.pngGbnKOPx.pnguVmlDOh.pngsuV2UX2.png

February 15, 1999 - Delta III successfully carries it's second payload, the Orion 3 Spacecraft, to GTO. After this mission, Boeing secures multiple launches with commercial entities. Due to it's capabilities in high energy orbits, and the success of the Delta II, NASA also begins to consider using the new launch vehicle for some of it's upcoming interplanetary missions in the early 2000's. 

EeRtpHV.pngFgOn8wo.pngNu4hWsx.pngBcI0uGT.png

By late 1999 Boeing had secured more than 20 payloads for the Delta III, and was attempting to grab government payloads for the vehicle. At the same time Boeing was awarded the EELV contract to develop the Delta IV family, which would utilize the same upper stages as the Delta II and Delta III.

Well I’m glad you guys seem to be enjoying it so far :)

I was hoping to post Chapter 2 before Thanksgiving, however my computer’s charger is currently borked so I won’t be able to do that til early December. In the mean time I’ll be trying to get a rough idea of how I want this to go, and will be doing a bit of research along the way. Stay tuned!

Edit: okay nvm, my computer is currently being fixed. No update until later this month at the earliest :(

Edited by DylanSemrau

• 1 month later...

Chapter Two:

May 9, 2000 - The Delta III lifts of from SLC-17, carrying it's 4th payload from Hughes Space and Communications International to GTO. The spacecraft was successfully placed in orbit, however Delta under performed due to a hydrogen leak in the upper stage. Although this did not compromise the mission, it would mean that the vehicle would be grounded for roughly 4 months so the issue could be properly resolved.

6X27DWa.pngAiQbzVz.pngrWYooZh.pngOAZQvKu.pngwCiE79h.png04A3j6r.pngx76Mgat.png

The vehicle would be flying again by September, carrying two more satellites into orbit by the end of the year, and carrying another three early 2001

June 20, 2001 - As apart of the Space Test Program, and the qualification of the Delta IV Medium's upper stage for Air Force Payloads, the Delta III was to launch 3 satellites, one in LEO and two in MEO. These satellites were designed to test new methods of power generation and storage, along with new propellants and engines. 59 seconds into flight, the vehicle experienced MaxQ. At this point, a faulty strut holding one of the solid motors onto the vehicle failed, causing the motor to separate and contact the core. This would result in the full destruction of the vehicle and loss of payloads by 61 seconds into the flight. This would be a major hit to Boeing, not only impacting the Delta III, but also the Delta IV as they failed to qualify the upper stage. The Delta III, and DIVM would both be put on hold, with DIII being grounded for the rest of the year, and two customers deciding to move their payloads to other launch vehicles. 

OmhJ1ql.pngT67SPq7.pngjOPohyn.pngZu7hP4T.png

Although this was an impact on the Delta IV Medium, it was not on the Small or Heavy variants. The DIVH was still targeting early 2004 for its first launch, and the DIVS was targeting mid 2002 for its debut flight. The small variant would utilize the Delta IV CBC for the first stage, and the Delta II upper stage, with a larger fairing, for the second stage. This was apart of the requirement for the EELV program, which required contractors to have Small, Medium, and Heavy versions of their vehicles. 

UCPurBU.png

Chapter Three:

September 15, 2002 - After years of development, the first Delta IV lifts of from CCAFS in the Small configuration. The launch essentially makes the Delta II obsolete. In fact, the Delta IV Small was expected to replace DII, as it had more performance, and used newer technologies. This would also mean that Boeing would need to operate less launch pads, and meant they'd only need to manufacture vehicles of similar design. 

UC89yDK.pngm686h2i.pngD4rJIFN.pngWrLKFo3.pngCBzlr4Y.pngG1brN2l.pngtIV8dhi.png

The mission was a complete success. The first flight of the RS-68 main engine went flawlessly, and the Delta-K upper stage performed as expected, placing the payload in a highly inclined orbit.

November 10, 2002 - With the introduction of the Delta IV Small, the Delta II is now seen as obsolete to Boeing. Earlier in the year they made the final Delta II, and officially shut down production for the vehicle. Any future launches that would have gone on the Delta II have now been put onto the Delta IV Small. Finally, in earlier November the Delta II lifted off for the last time, leaving the Delta III to be the last Thor derived Delta. 

WYtCWYd.pngqtGwcvF.pngF6H5Qr3.png5AgUQ0J.pngv1gAbVN.pngU1ZVILf.png

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.