Celestial Body Scavenger Hunt

prestja

In the developer story trailer starting at 3:04 you can see several sticky notes attached to a monitor, one of which is labeled "Celestial Bodies - Atmospheres". Some veteran bodies are obviously listed (Duna, Eve, Jool, Laythe) as well as what appears to be Pol, for some reason. New confirmed bodies from KSP 2 are visible (Glumo, Murble, Ovin), as well as several others I cannot make out. I've yet to identify the two bodies on the bottom and the one at the top left. Note that some confirmed planets (Rask, Rusk and Char) are not listed - presumably because they don't seem to feature atmospheres. Interestingly enough, Ovin is listed - as it was previously described as a gas giant whose atmosphere was stripped away.

No modificationsWith image sharpening, noise reduction, and contrast bump

Just now, The Dressian Exploder said:

It looks like Pol is on the list. Maybe we'll be getting an (probably really thin) atmosphere on Pol!

I know there's at least one visual pack out there that gives Pol a "glow" so it'd be really cool to have that in stock KSP 2.

6 hours ago, mcwaffles2003 said:

List as it looks to me:

D--yda               Laythe

Duna                 Murbal

Eve                    Ovin

Glumo              Pol

Jool                  V-da

Kerbin

Ah so the bottom left is Kerbin - good! It wouldn't make any sense for Kerbin to be omitted from this list.

• 2 months later...
15 minutes ago, KerikBalm said:

Pod to me sounds like it could be planety... but does it sound any better than Pol? or Bop?

IMHO no, and with the similarity in names it could become confusing typo fodder

15 minutes ago, KerikBalm said:

If it is, I'm even more disappointed in their divergence from scientific realism.

Like I mentioned, it could be a new out-gassing event caused by something like volcanism or something like that. If this is the case it would resemble Io, as far as planetary physical accuracy goes, this is an area I find least concerning. Not because I don't care, I really care, but because they literally have a PhD with them who has great knowledge on the subject. If they're willing to consult resources like this then I think its fair to trust the devs with celestial body realism.

Edited by mcwaffles2003

On 11/24/2019 at 1:15 AM, prestja said:

In the developer story trailer starting at 3:04 you can see several sticky notes attached to a monitor, one of which is labeled "Celestial Bodies - Atmospheres". Some veteran bodies are obviously listed (Duna, Eve, Jool, Laythe) as well as what appears to be Pol, for some reason. New confirmed bodies from KSP 2 are visible (Glumo, Murble, Ovin), as well as several others I cannot make out. I've yet to identify the two bodies on the bottom and the one at the top left. Note that some confirmed planets (Rask, Rusk and Char) are not listed - presumably because they don't seem to feature atmospheres. Interestingly enough, Ovin is listed - as it was previously described as a gas giant whose atmosphere was stripped away.

No modificationsWith image sharpening, noise reduction, and contrast bump

Maybe I have terrible eyesight, but I see "Pol" as Vod

2 hours ago, mcwaffles2003 said:

IMHO no, and with the similarity in names it could become confusing typo fodder

Like I mentioned, it could be a new out-gassing event caused by something like volcanism or something like that. If this is the case it would resemble Io, as far as planetary physical accuracy goes, this is an area I find least concerning. Not because I don't care, I really care, but because they literally have a PhD with them who has great knowledge on the subject. If they're willing to consult resources like this then I think its fair to trust the devs with celestial body realism.

The moon has outgassing from time to time... A tiny gas release does not mean it has an atmosphere. Also He3? are you joking, one doesn't need a PhD to know that's ridiculous. Jool can have He3, but its moons won't. Its moons may have some heavier rocks, which may contain radioactive isotopes in the core, which may decay by alpha particle emission, allowing for Helium to be trapped at the center with the dense elements, but that's He4... this is where we get Helium from on Earth.... and helium escapes from Earth's atmosphere. Even if Pol was substantially rocky (as opposed to dirty, very frozen ice, like most moons of the gas giants), and had a helium atmosphere equal to the content of helium in Earth's atmosphere, that would be 0.0005 atmospheres of Helium 4 (helium 3 escapes even faster, since its only 75% the MW). That doesn't even make sense to model, and it would be many time thicker than it should be.

Consider mars... https://ui.adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/2005Icar..176..395K/abstract

Helium is 10 ppm (10/1,000,000= 1/100,000))of an atmosphere that is about 0.01 atms, making the partial pressure of helium as 0.000000001 atms.

If Pol were to have any trace gas atmosphere, it would have to be a heavy gas like CO2, and even that would be lost ridiculously fast... its got lower gravity than Minmus for f&/("*('s sake.

Now if Tylo were to be given a thin atmosphere, I wouldn't object.

Aaaannnyyyyway... I definitely see a horizontal line on that letter, and we don't see a similar horizontal line on the other "L"s on the list: Jool, the body listed above Jool, the body 2 above the Pod/Pot/Pol/Vot/Vod/Vol body. I'm no handwriting expert, but it doesn't look like the other lower case "L"s, so I think its a lowly placed cross on a "t" or a very narrow loop (so that it looks like a single line) from a "d"

I see (without brain autocorrect fixing it for me):

Drayda, Loralto, Done, Mubel, Eve (okay, maybe a little brain autocorrect here), Dota,  Calamo, P??, Jool, V??d?, K??b??

The question marks are letters too scratchy for me to comprehend.

Let's try looking at some planets and autocorrect them to planets of the Kerbin system we know and love, and lock those in.

Drayda, Laythe, Duna, Mubel, Eve, Dota,  Calamo, P??, Jool, V??d?, Kerbin

Loralto looks vaguely like Laythe, Done looks like Duna, Eve is Eve, K??b?? is obviously Kerbin, and Jool is Jool.

But wait: if the writer of this note writes "er" like they do in Kerbin, this means that V??d? is Verde (spanish for green if I remember right), Verdo, or Verda.

Drayda, Laythe, Duna, Mubel, Eve, Dota,  Calamo, P??, Jool, Verd?, Kerbin

I don't think Mubel is Murble, because there's no letter after the L. I think I'm semi-confident with locking in Mubel.

And Drayda is in surprisingly coherent writing, so I think I'll lock that in too as the actual planet name.

This leaves us with Dota, Calamo, and P??. Judging by the fact that A's, E's and O's look very similar with this handwriting, we should assume that P?? could be Pe?, Po? or Pa?. The last letter has to be either L, T, or a J. And maybe a D.

List of P?? possibilities: Pel, Pet, Pej, Ped, Pol (which I refuse to believe is the right one), Pot, Poj, Pod, Pal, Pat, Paj, Pad.

Using the forum's angry red squiggles, we can narrow this down to some not-real-world possibilities (and also excluding Pol): Pel, Pej, Ped, Poj, Paj.

From this we can deduct it is somewhat likely that the planet ends with a J. Siunce I've already talked all I can about P??, I'll lock it in as P??.

This leaves us Dota and Calamo. I am fine with Calamo being Glumo.

Drayda, Laythe, Duna, Mubel, Eve, Dota,  Glumo, P??, Jool, Verd?, Kerbin

Dota could also be Oota. It looks a lot like it could be Ovin, but if they did write it there, then that means Ovin has a tiny atmosphere. Makes sense: a gas giant with tons of atmosphere gets de-atmosphered, it makes sense that some of it would remain somehow.

Drayda, Laythe, Duna, Mubel, Eve, OvinGlumo, P??, Jool, Verd?, Kerbin is my final list of planets. We see some new planets that we've never seen before (Drayda, Mubel, and Verd?), as well as some KSP2 planets we've heard of (Ovin, Glumo) and some planets from our very own Kerbin system (Duna, Eve, Kerbin, Jool, Laythe).

I sure hope they're adding more than just 5 atmospheric planets to other systems. We need a Titan planet: barely bigger than the Mun, yet has an atmosphere as thick as Eve.

20 minutes ago, LittleBitMore said:

I see (without brain autocorrect fixing it for me):

Drayda, Loralto, Done, Mubel, Eve (okay, maybe a little brain autocorrect here), Dota,  Calamo, P??, Jool, V??d?, K??b??

The question marks are letters too scratchy for me to comprehend.

Let's try looking at some planets and autocorrect them to planets of the Kerbin system we know and love, and lock those in.

Drayda, Laythe, Duna, Mubel, Eve, Dota,  Calamo, P??, Jool, V??d?, Kerbin

Loralto looks vaguely like Laythe, Done looks like Duna, Eve is Eve, K??b?? is obviously Kerbin, and Jool is Jool.

But wait: if the writer of this note writes "er" like they do in Kerbin, this means that V??d? is Verde (spanish for green if I remember right), Verdo, or Verda.

I don't think Mubel is Murble, because there's no letter after the L. I think I'm semi-confident with locking in Mubel.

And Drayda is in surprisingly coherent writing, so I think I'll lock that in too as the actual planet name.

This leaves us with Dota, Calamo, and P??. Judging by the fact that A's, E's and O's look very similar with this handwriting, we should assume that P?? could be Pe?, Po? or Pa?. The last letter has to be either L, T, or a J. And maybe a D.

List of P?? possibilities: Pel, Pet, Pej, Ped, Pol (which I refuse to believe is the right one), Pot, Poj, Pod, Pal, Pat, Paj, Pad.

Using the forum's angry red squiggles, we can narrow this down to some not-real-world possibilities (and also excluding Pol): Pel, Pej, Ped, Poj, Paj.

From this we can deduct it is somewhat likely that the planet ends with a J. Siunce I've already talked all I can about P??, I'll lock it in as P??.

This leaves us Dota and Calamo. I am fine with Calamo being Glumo.

Drayda, Laythe, Duna, Mubel, Eve, Dota,  Glumo, P??, Jool, Verd?, Kerbin

Dota could also be Oota. It looks a lot like it could be Ovin, but if they did write it there, then that means Ovin has a tiny atmosphere. Makes sense: a gas giant with tons of atmosphere gets de-atmosphered, it makes sense that some of it would remain somehow.

Drayda, Laythe, Duna, Mubel, Eve, OvinGlumo, P??, Jool, Verd?, Kerbin is my final list of planets. We see some new planets that we've never seen before (Drayda, Mubel, and Verd?), as well as some KSP2 planets we've heard of (Ovin, Glumo) and some planets from our very own Kerbin system (Duna, Eve, Kerbin, Jool, Laythe).

I sure hope they're adding more than just 5 atmospheric planets to other systems. We need a Titan planet: barely bigger than the Mun, yet has an atmosphere as thick as Eve.

to me the P?? looks like pol (although that doesn't make sense, pol doesn't have an atmosphere), and mubel is most likely murble, that icy planet we at the end of the ksp 2 trailer (I think, don't remember where I heard it), although I never saw Drayda and verd before.

33 minutes ago, Dirkidirk said:

to me the P?? looks like pol (although that doesn't make sense, pol doesn't have an atmosphere), and mubel is most likely murble, that icy planet we at the end of the ksp 2 trailer (I think, don't remember where I heard it), although I never saw Drayda and verd before.

I'm 100% sure Drayda and Verd? are NOT mentioned yet AND real planets, and Mubel could be an early version of Murble, or a different planet altogether..

Edited by LittleBitMore

3 hours ago, KerikBalm said:

If Pol were to have any trace gas atmosphere, it would have to be a heavy gas like CO2, and even that would be lost ridiculously fast... its got lower gravity than Minmus for f&/("*('s sake.

Woah! Calm down! Also, about Pol... What about subsurface gasses? Or maybe there are trace amounts of atmosphere in certain places? And also, remember that this is Ksp 2. It could be situated in a different timeframe the Ksp 1, for all we know. Changes can happen.

2 hours ago, έķ νίĻĻάίή said:

about Pol... What about subsurface gasses? Or maybe there are trace amounts of atmosphere in certain places? And also, remember that this is Ksp 2. It could be situated in a different timeframe the Ksp 1, for all we know. 

Pol is simply to small to justify having an atmosphere. Longer time frames just means more time for atmosphere to escape (and it would escape very fast).

If they've given pol an atmosphere, its simply face-palm worthy.

1 minute ago, KerikBalm said:

Pol is simply to small to justify having an atmosphere. Longer time frames just means more time for atmosphere to escape (and it would escape very fast).

If they've given pol an atmosphere, its simply face-palm worthy.

Kerbal has foregone realism in the past for the purpose of delivering better gameplay. I don't think giving Pol an atmosphere is out of the question or immersion breaking.