[1.12+] Less Real Than Real(ism) - RP-1 With Less 'R' [v2.0.6]

Pehvbot

LRTR is a less real than real(ism) mod for Kerbal Space Program to allow you to to play a Real Solar System RP-1 game with stock and stock-alike parts and without Realism Overhaul.  At its core it is a modified version of RP-1 plus a resizing mod to make parts something close to realistic in size, mass, and performance. 

Version 2.0:  v2.0+ is a significant update, requires KSP 1.12+,  and is likely game breaking for previous saves.  It brings LRTR in line with the RP-1 1.10.x and uses a version of the built in Kerbal Construction Time.  It also now supports KSRSS and KSRSS 2.5x worlds.

The mod as 5 components.  They can all be enabled or disabled from the LRTR/config.cfg file or in the game settings or from the settings interfaces.

• rescaler.  This rescales parts for RealSolarSystem (and possibly other 10x worlds)
  • RP-1 Contracts.  This is a slight rewrite of the RP-1 contract tree
  • RP-1 Tech Tree.  This uses the RP-1 tech tree and places stock and stock-alike parts into the tree
  • RP-1 training times for crew
  • RP-1 Style KerbalConstructionTime, KCT presets for stock, 2.5x, and RSS size systems.

It is intended to be as lightweight as possible and to be a lot more 'Kerbal' than the full RO/RP-1.

The resizing mod is a complete refactor of the Realism Overhaul ROMini.cfg file that's been cleaned up and modernized.

RP-1 has been simplified a little and the contracts have been modified to make them a little bit simpler and a little bit more 'Kerbal'.

CREDITS:  This is basically a derivative work.  The core functionality is from the RP-0 devs (https://github.com/KSP-RO/RP-0), much of the KerbalsimConfig file comes from Standecco et. al ( https://github.com/Standecco/ROKerbalism).  It pulls in parts from several other mods including Bluedog, Ven's Stock Revamp, Coatl Aerospace, and DMagic Orbital Science.  Also many thanks for bug fixes and suggestions from users boriboritalchas, drhead, Wallum, and mateusviccari

SUPPORT:  LRTR uses modified versions of both RP-1 and Kerbal Construction Time but they are not in any way responsible for this mod.  Complaints and support requests should definitely come through here.

Download for v2.0.7 (for KSP 1.12) here:
https://github.com/pehvbot/LRTR/releases/latest
(It's still in pre-release until CKAN metadata can be updated)

Download for v1.7.1 (for KSP 1.8-11) here:
https://github.com/pehvbot/LRTR/releases/tag/v1.7.1
Note:  the dependency list is different for this release as noted on the download page.

Download KerbalismConfig here:
https://github.com/pehvbot/LRKerbalism/releases/latest
(Supports both the 1.11 and 1.12 versions)

Code found here:
https://github.com/pehvbot/LRTR
https://github.com/pehvbot/LRKerbalism

Minimum Install:
ModuleManager
ClickThroughBlocker
CustomBarnKit
ContractConfigurator
DMagicScienceAnimate
MagiCore
ModularFlightIntegrator
Real Solar System, KSRSS, or KSSRS 2.5x

Recommended Mods:
ReStock/RestockPlus (pretty much required if you don't use other parts mods below)
Kerbalism using above LRKerbalism KerbalismConfig link

Supported Mods:
Scrapyard/OhScrap
MechJeb
Bluedog Design Bureau
Tantares Spacecraft
Completely Non-Aggressive Rocketry (V-2)
FASA Light
Snacks!
SMURFF
Procedural Parts
Procedural Fairings
Modular Fuel Tanks
TantaresLV
RealFuels-Stock
ProceduralWings
Waterfall (using Restock config or from supporting mods)
FarFuture
NearFuture - Aeronautics, Propulsion, LaunchVehicles, Spacecraft
reDIRECT
BARIS
Modular Launch Pads
Shuttle Orbiter Construction Kit
Real Antennas
CryoEngines
DeepFreeze
ORANGES
more to follow...(?) 

Unsupported Parts Mods:
RealismOverhaul
RP-1

Kerbal Construction Time (it uses a version of the RP-1 KCT)
SimpleAdjustableFairings (won't rescale correctly, excluded from rescaler)
SSTU (some parts won't rescale correctly, those are excluded from rescaler)

Notes:
-
It should work with SMURFF instead of it's rescaler although I haven't tested this for game balance. 
-It's still in development so it's likely the tech tree still needs to be balanced a little
-Other stock-alike part mods *should* work, but because RP-1 uses a custom tech tree, the parts may not be in the right place for game balance.

Known Issues:
-It includes experimental support for Breaking Ground surface features and science but is disabled in the config.cfg file.  Enable if you are feeling adventurous.
-I'm sure there will be some resizing bugs with untested mods.  If you find one let me know.

Give it a try and let me know what you think!

[6/21/23]
Tech tree fixes for KCT, Mechjeb, RealFuels-Stock, and Procedural Fairings.

Previous Updates

Spoiler

[4/16/23]
Support for CryoEngines and DeepFreeze (thanks mateusviccari!) and ORANGES, biome fixes for Phobos.

[8/30/22]
Minor science fix for LRTR and it's KerbalismConfig

[12/6/21]
Tons of contract fixes, especially for ScanSAT and RealAntennas and better tech tree support (thanks to drhead and Wallum for their help with this).

[10/21/21]
Major update to bring it in line with RP-1 1.10.3 and add support for KSRSS

[5/20/21]
Support for Modular Launch Pads and Shuttle Orbiter Construction Kit, bug fixes

[4/2/21]
Support for FarFuture, some NearFuture mods, BARIS, reDIRECT, plus supporting mods

[3/7/21]
Minor compatibility fixes for RealFuels, RestockPlus, and new stock parts

[1/17/21]
Fixes techtree problems.  Fixes issue with the RP-1 control panel in Science and Sandbox mode.  Adds experimental support for Breaking Ground surface features.  Adds a new command part (The Telemetry Launch Control Unit - TLC) an inline command part for early sounding rockets.

[12/20/20]
Reverted the techTree config file to one that works in 1.10 and lower.  It currently will not work in 1.11.

[12/19/20]
Well, dangit.  It looks like there's a glitch in the techtree code that means the custom techtree doesn't always get created correctly.  I withdraw 1.11 compatibility until I can get it to work consistently.

[12/19/20]
Rebalances the 'Aeronautics' branch of the tech tree to make X-Planes more viable.
Adds support for 1.11, Procedural Wings, and Waterfall.

[10/15/20]
Adds ISRU support and a simplified resources model.  

[6/23/20]
Add support for Procedural Fairings, LantaresLV, and Modular Fuel Tanks.

[3/30/20]
Added support for Procedural Parts.  Fixed cartoonishly low dry mass for fuel tanks, misc bug fixes.

[3/18/20]
Kerbal Construction Time is a dependency right now. 

[2/4/20]
Version 1.0 updated for KSP 1.8.1.  This has many updates, including:
- added feature to extend retirement dates for 'Veteran' crew.  This allows Jeb, Val, Bob, and Bill to make it to the moon landing era.  There is also a chance normal crew can become veterans and pushing back their retirement dates.
- added feature to shorten recovery time for Bad Ass crew as well as add a small chance normal crew can become Bad Asses based on the difficulty of the mission.
- added ability to enable/disable core features such as custom tech tree, custom science, etc in the config.cfg file

[12/10/19]
v0.4 cleans up some tech tree issues and brings things closer to the RP-1 1.1.2 release. KerbalismConfig 0.2 fixes some science problems.  Adds support for FASA Light parts mod.

Edited by Pehvbot

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi, I haven't played KSP seriously in about 2 years, and am trying to pick it up again. I'm really glad I've found this mod, because ROmini is what I've used a few years back, and am still looking for combining Real Solar System with stock difficulty (so without Realism Overhaul).

However, I can't seem to get this working in KSP 1.8.1 (with both DLC's). When I've only installed LRTR (using CKAN), including all dependencies, I have this weird problem that I can't click on any buttons in the main menu. They change color when I hover my mouse over them en click them, but nothing happens.

I've tried the following:

- Vanilla combined with RSS (and dependencies): menu buttons work fine

- Vanilla combines with RSS and LRTR (and dependencies): menu buttons don't work

- Vanilla combines with RSS and LRTR (and dependencies), but manually deleting Kopernicus Planetery Modifier: menu buttons work fine!

Also:

- I get the warning from Module Manager that LRTR\plugins\LRTRKCTBinder.dll is not supported in this KSP version (1.8.1).

- Which Custom Barn Kit-config do I need to pick? I've picked Stock, instead of RO, is that ok?

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

I'm actually not sure.  The mod itself is mostly a bunch of Module Manager patches which can't mess with game menus and the DLLs don't really dig too deep into the system.  None of this *should* mess with the game like that.  I suspect the warning is related to the menu problem but I'd need more info to be sure.

I would start by deleting the LRTR folder and installing the latest version manually: https://github.com/pehvbot/LRTR/releases/tag/v1.01

If that doesn't help try deleting the 'LRTR/plugins' folder and see what happens, then send me the KSP.log file.  Let me know if it fixes the menu glitch or not.

The standard Custom Barn Kit is the right one.

9 hours ago, Lenniepen said:

Hi, I haven't played KSP seriously in about 2 years, and am trying to pick it up again. I'm really glad I've found this mod, because ROmini is what I've used a few years back, and am still looking for combining Real Solar System with stock difficulty (so without Realism Overhaul).

However, I can't seem to get this working in KSP 1.8.1 (with both DLC's). When I've only installed LRTR (using CKAN), including all dependencies, I have this weird problem that I can't click on any buttons in the main menu. They change color when I hover my mouse over them en click them, but nothing happens.

I've tried the following:

- Vanilla combined with RSS (and dependencies): menu buttons work fine

- Vanilla combines with RSS and LRTR (and dependencies): menu buttons don't work

- Vanilla combines with RSS and LRTR (and dependencies), but manually deleting Kopernicus Planetery Modifier: menu buttons work fine!

Also:

- I get the warning from Module Manager that LRTR\plugins\LRTRKCTBinder.dll is not supported in this KSP version (1.8.1).

- Which Custom Barn Kit-config do I need to pick? I've picked Stock, instead of RO, is that ok?

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Edited by Pehvbot

I have the same problem, I've installed everything, however I don't have the DLC packs and whenever I tried to load it it kept freezing at "Loading Expansion" and didn't change. I deleted the plugins folder and now it progresses past that but it freezes right before the main menu. I'm not sure what to do.

14 minutes ago, gooseapple5 said:

I have the same problem, I've installed everything, however I don't have the DLC packs and whenever I tried to load it it kept freezing at "Loading Expansion" and didn't change. I deleted the plugins folder and now it progresses past that but it freezes right before the main menu. I'm not sure what to do.

I lied, after restarting it again it seems to have worked this time.

14 hours ago, Pehvbot said:

I'm actually not sure.  The mod itself is mostly a bunch of Module Manager patches which can't mess with game menus and the DLLs don't really dig too deep into the system.  None of this *should* mess with the game like that.  I suspect the warning is related to the menu problem but I'd need more info to be sure.

I would start by deleting the LRTR folder and installing the latest version manually: https://github.com/pehvbot/LRTR/releases/tag/v1.01

If that doesn't help try deleting the 'LRTR/plugins' folder and see what happens, then send me the KSP.log file.  Let me know if it fixes the menu glitch or not.

The standard Custom Barn Kit is the right one.

Thanks for your answer!

- Manually installing didn't solve the problem

- Deleting the \LRTR\plugins folder did solve the problem!

This is the log file from the attempt with manual install and without deleting the plugins folder: https://www.dropbox.com/s/8xdvzc9zj1hvm2y/KSP.log?dl=0

Edited by Lenniepen

3 hours ago, gooseapple5 said:

I lied, after restarting it again it seems to have worked this time.

I'm guessing this is the same issue as below.

3 hours ago, Lenniepen said:

Thanks for your answer!

- Manually installing didn't solve the problem

- Deleting the \LRTR\plugins folder did solve the problem!

This is the log file from the attempt with manual install and without deleting the plugins folder: https://www.dropbox.com/s/8xdvzc9zj1hvm2y/KSP.log?dl=0

It's crazy busy for me right now but I expect things to slow dramatically soon.  Something's obviously wrong with the DLLs.  I'll take a look at them but it may be a few days before you hear back from me.

Unfortunately removing the DLLs cripples things since it relies on them to make all the various parts work together.  This was only a diagnostic step.

It looks like you don't have Kerbal Construction Time installed.  I may have changed the DLLs at some point to require this mod and just never tested it again.  Try replacing the plugins and installing KCT and see what happens.  You can always disable the mod from the KSC ribbon menu.

58 minutes ago, Pehvbot said:

I'm guessing this is the same issue as below.

It's crazy busy for me right now but I expect things to slow dramatically soon.  Something's obviously wrong with the DLLs.  I'll take a look at them but it may be a few days before you hear back from me.

Unfortunately removing the DLLs cripples things since it relies on them to make all the various parts work together.  This was only a diagnostic step.

It looks like you don't have Kerbal Construction Time installed.  I may have changed the DLLs at some point to require this mod and just never tested it again.  Try replacing the plugins and installing KCT and see what happens.  You can always disable the mod from the KSC ribbon menu.

Ow yeah! :D

Installing Kerbal Construction Time worked.

Thanks a lot!

7 minutes ago, Lenniepen said:

Ow yeah! :D

Installing Kerbal Construction Time worked.

Thanks a lot!

Good to know!  In the short term I'll update the description and add it as a dependency.   I'd still like it to work without KCT just to give the mod more flexibility, but that's a problem for another day...

Hi, I know you're busy, and the Procedural Parts mod in not on the list of supported mods, but could you maybe look into it (sometime)?

I think there is something wrong with the scaling, as the nodes on the top and bottom of procedural fuel tanks are not visible at the top/bottom surfaces of the objects,  they are hidden inside the objects, so other objects attach at the wrong heigth:

5e7751fc18abe-Clipboard08.jpg

5e775265b1107-Clipboard09.jpg

Yeah, this falls under the 'Known Issues' category.  The rescaler basically multiplies the size of all parts by 1.6.  Normally this change gets propagated to the nodes as well so they get moved.  Some parts need to move the nodes separately (i.e. fairing interstages, variants for thrust plates and structural tubes, etc). 

I'm guessing the nodes for the ProceduralPart are generated by the module itself so it's not easily patched .  In this case the best option would be to not rescale the procedural parts at all and just use the in game procedural parts rescaling.

Another problem is that the part upgrades are hard wired for the default tech tree.  Because this mod uses a custom tech tree all these upgrades would need to be redone with patches

Finally the default max sizes are based on Kerbin sizes not RSS sizes, so everything would be too small.  This would need to be fixed with patches as well.

Unfortunately it would require quite a bit of work to get it working properly.  I *think* not rescaling the parts could work properly in sandbox, but it wouldn't really work for career mode because of the tech and size issues.  Try this patch:

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ProceduralPart]]:BEFORE[zLRTR]
{
	MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleTagNotRescaled
	}
}

If you are not familiar with how ModuleManager patches work, let me know and I can walk you through how to add it.  I've never used procedural parts so some of this is guesswork.  I'll see how easy it is to get a working patch.  I will probably be pretty bored soon, so I should have the time.  If so I'll roll it into a new version and post info here.

• 2 weeks later...

Version 1.1 has been released.  This adds support for Procedural Parts as well as a bunch of bug fixes:  NOTE:  This version fixes the ridiculously low dry mass of the fuel tanks so they are at least plausible now.   Existing craft will be noticeably less capable.

https://github.com/pehvbot/LRTR/releases/tag/v1.1

Edited by Pehvbot

• 1 month later...
17.03.2020 в 14:47 Леннипен сказал::

- Я получаю предупреждение от менеджера модулей, что LRTR\plugins\LRTRKCTBinder.библиотека dll не поддерживается в этой версии KSP (1.8.1).

- Какой пользовательский  Barn Kit-config мне нужно выбрать? Я выбрал акции, а не РО, это нормально?

Есть идеи?

Заранее спасибо

Проверьте необходимый мод Kerbal время строительства.

Edited by Weissman
Please delete this comment

Hello, there is a problem with stock parts "FL-T".  In the technology tree, I open the "post-war materials" cell and buy the development of these components.  But in the editor they are inactive.  What could be the reason?  Thank.

I think it is because all parts must be 'Purchased' before they are active.  If you right-click on the inactive part you should see a button in the lower left corner.

avPym6t.png

You can turn this off when you start a new Career.
oMGK0iL.png

If that is not the problem, let me know.

On 09.05.2020 at 22:41, Pehvbot said:

Я думаю, это потому, что все части должны быть "куплены", прежде чем они будут активны. Если вы нажмете правой кнопкой мыши на неактивной части вы должны увидеть кнопку в левом нижнем углу.

avPym6t. png

Вы можете отключить его, когда начнете новую карьеру.
oMGK0iL.формат PNG

Если это не проблема, дайте мне знать.

Thanks. Now I'll know where the switch is. I found out what the problem was. It occurred due to an incorrect update from version 1.3 to 1.8. In the configuration file of stock components, duplicate lines with new parameters appeared in some of them. I solved the problem by completely deleting the program and installing it again.

@Pehvbot Greetings. I am curious if it is feasible to use this mod with JNSQ? Aside from making changes to the contracts for the names of the planets and so forth, would there be a way to easily adjust to work in the JNSQ scale?  I really like the idea of RP-1 and this mod but I am trying to figure out a way to make them fit into the JNSQ scale and system.

Easily?  No.  The mod has 6 more or less separate functions:  Contracts, rescaler, science, tech tree, Custom Barn Kit (KSC buildings and features), and RP-1 features (astronaut training, ongoing costs, etc).  They can all be enabled/disabled independently but most of them are hard coded for the RSS and would take some serious surgery to work elsewhere.

Were there specific features you wanted to use? 

@Pehvbot Thanks for the reply.  Yes I am mostly interested in being able to use the contracts and maybe even the tech tree with JNSQ which is a 2.7x scale system.  For the contracts I think it would be a matter of changing the names of the bodies to reflect the JNSQ system which would not be difficult. But what I am not sure is whether the Contracts or the Tech tree can work without the rest of the parts of the mod.

13 hours ago, Redleg1 said:

@Pehvbot Thanks for the reply.  Yes I am mostly interested in being able to use the contracts and maybe even the tech tree with JNSQ which is a 2.7x scale system.  For the contracts I think it would be a matter of changing the names of the bodies to reflect the JNSQ system which would not be difficult. But what I am not sure is whether the Contracts or the Tech tree can work without the rest of the parts of the mod.

Yes, it's easy to separate the components.  You can edit the config.cfg file to enable/disable the core features.  The tech tree and science features should both work without modification, although the science part will break if you are using Kerbalism without LRTR's KerbalismConfig.  The contracts will be a little more difficult. I'm not sure if a global search/replace will catch everything since it's all been 'hard coded' for RSS.  If you keep the RP-1 crew training you may need to adjust the training time to match JNSQ time rather than RSS time.  The game will break without Kerbal Construction Time and default KCT config is also set to RSS time so that would need to be adjusted as well.

Overall I would say:
-Tech Tree: easy
-Science: easy
-RP-1: moderate
-Contracts: hard

Let me know if you try all this and how it goes!

• 1 month later...

This is exactly what I've been looking for since I tried playing RSS. RO was always too much for both me and my pc.

I've decided to install this with some parts mods that I use on my stock save and see if anything feels under/overpowered, but since it's a pure rescale I guess it will only reflect how the part originally feel.

Some questions:

There are some mods that are built balanced for a 2.5x system and rescaling them like the stock parts would made them too powerful, right? If so, how can we balance it?

I noticed the Terrier size didn't match the 1.25m tanks after rescaling (even in a clean install). It's intended?

edit: don't know what was causing it but now it's correct

Nice work and thanks

Edited by Karin
Correction of information

8 hours ago, Karin said:

This is exactly what I've been looking for since I tried playing RSS. RO was always too much for both me and my pc.

I've decided to install this with some parts mods that I use on my stock save and see if anything feels under/overpowered, but since it's a pure rescale I guess it will only reflect how the part originally feel.

Some questions:

There are some mods that are built balanced for a 2.5x system and rescaling them like the stock parts would made them too powerful, right? If so, how can we balance it?

I noticed the Terrier size didn't match the 1.25m tanks after rescaling (even in a clean install). It's intended?

edit: don't know what was causing it but now it's correct

Nice work and thanks

You can exclude parts from rescaling by creating a custom.cfg file (recommended to avoid over writing mod files if you update) and adding code such as:

@PART[part_header_name*]:BEFORE[zLRTR]:NEEDS[LRTRRescale]
{
    MODULE
    {
    }
}

The specific thing where it says 'part_header_name*' needs to be customized for each mod.  Some mods use a common naming convention.  Bluedog for example uses 'bluedog_' so it would read @PART[bluedog_*]:BEFORE... 

If there isn't a consistent naming convention there might be other ways to exclude the parts.  If nothing else you can simply list their names with the OR operator '|' between them, i.e. @PART[part1|part2]:BEFORE...

If you aren't sure how all this works, send me a link to the mod and I can whip something up.  If it's a fairly common parts package I can make it 'official' and add it to the supported mods.

The Terrier has a bug in its cfg file.  It lists it's rescaleFactor twice which breaks rescaling.  I've included a patch that fixes this so I wonder if the patch simply didn't get applied the first time.

Also, thanks!

18 hours ago, Pehvbot said:

You can exclude parts from rescaling by creating a custom.cfg file (recommended to avoid over writing mod files if you update) and adding code such as:

@PART[part_header_name*]:BEFORE[zLRTR]:NEEDS[LRTRRescale]
{
    MODULE
    {
    }
}

The specific thing where it says 'part_header_name*' needs to be customized for each mod.  Some mods use a common naming convention.  Bluedog for example uses 'bluedog_' so it would read @PART[bluedog_*]:BEFORE... 

If there isn't a consistent naming convention there might be other ways to exclude the parts.  If nothing else you can simply list their names with the OR operator '|' between them, i.e. @PART[part1|part2]:BEFORE...

If you aren't sure how all this works, send me a link to the mod and I can whip something up.  If it's a fairly common parts package I can make it 'official' and add it to the supported mods.

The Terrier has a bug in its cfg file.  It lists it's rescaleFactor twice which breaks rescaling.  I've included a patch that fixes this so I wonder if the patch simply didn't get applied the first time.

Also, thanks!

Thanks for the code, I'm new to modding (I play with mods for a long time but I started to understand more deeply how they work recently) but I know how to work with this.

I found these issues while I played with your mod

• Modular Fuel Tanks and the fuel switch in Firespitter messes up the volume in the tanks, their volumes either overwrite the rescale or don't get it applied at all, all I know is most of my tanks had stock volumes with them installed (which is sad because one of my mods (Cormorant Aeronology) has firespitter as a dependency)
  • the fairing side parts in Procedural Fairings mod don't fits correctly in the base. excluding them from rescaling might fix, I didn't tried that yet

Overall everything looks good

21 hours ago, Karin said:

Thanks for the code, I'm new to modding (I play with mods for a long time but I started to understand more deeply how they work recently) but I know how to work with this.

I found these issues while I played with your mod

• Modular Fuel Tanks and the fuel switch in Firespitter messes up the volume in the tanks, their volumes either overwrite the rescale or don't get it applied at all, all I know is most of my tanks had stock volumes with them installed (which is sad because one of my mods (Cormorant Aeronology) has firespitter as a dependency)
  • the fairing side parts in Procedural Fairings mod don't fits correctly in the base. excluding them from rescaling might fix, I didn't tried that yet

Overall everything looks good

Thanks for the feedback.  I was just working on a preliminary version for 1.9.1 (although still 'officially' for 1.8.1) so I rolled in Modular Fuel Tanks and Procedural Fairings.

Version 1.2 has been released.  It's added support for a TantaresLV, Procedural Fairings, and Modular Fuel Tanks. 

https://github.com/pehvbot/LRTR/releases/tag/v1.2

It's also added preliminary (i.e. unsupported) updates for 1.9.1 so if you want to play with the latest dev builds of Kopernicus you should be able to run a 1.9.1 game in Real Solar System.  I don't recommend this if you plan on continuing an existing save game though.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.