Bug in the ship, or bug in the game?

In which KSP version? A screenshot can be useful.

Last time I got hit by this, it was on 1.4.x and the problem was that the part must fit inside the part's colliders in order to get shielded by it. I was being bitten by it because I was trying to ferry a whole booster inside a long chain of cargo bays and, obviously, the thing had spread to more than one cargo bay - making impossible to be shielded at all.

I recently heard that on 1.8.x they changed the rules (not confirmed it my self). Apparently, you need to keep all the connected bay doors closed to keep things inside shielded from drag. One single door not properly shut, and everything gets drag.

7 minutes ago, Lisias said:

In which KSP version? A screenshot can be useful.

Last time I got hit by this, it was on 1.4.x and the problem was that the part must fit inside the part's colliders in order to get shielded by it. I was being bitten by it because I was trying to ferry a whole booster inside a long chain of cargo bays and, obviously, the thing had spread to more than one cargo bay - making impossible to be shielded at all.

I recently heard that on 1.8.x they changed the rules (not confirmed it my self). Apparently, you need to keep all the connected bay doors closed to keep things inside shielded from drag. One single door not properly shut, and everything gets drag.

Below is one of the occasion where the drag shows:
Ab0kIAO.png

While this time it's fine:

tmbPDmJ.png

I know of one bug (or perhaps unavoidable occurrence) that causes parts to not be shielded:

When the part that's supposed to do the shielding is the root part of the craft. For example, if you make a fairing base the root part of a rocket, the fairing will not shield the parts contained in it. The same is very likely true for a cargo bay.

4 hours ago, Signo said:

Did you open (and then of course close) the bay before lift off in the "drag events"?

Both yes and no. I actually did 4 test, 2 of them open then close, 2 did not. Sometimes the drag are there, sometimes are no drag.

4 hours ago, Streetwind said:

I know of one bug (or perhaps unavoidable occurrence) that causes parts to not be shielded:

When the part that's supposed to do the shielding is the root part of the craft. For example, if you make a fairing base the root part of a rocket, the fairing will not shield the parts contained in it. The same is very likely true for a cargo bay.

I will double check that, but I recall it's suppose to be the cockpit that is root.

30 minutes ago, Jestersage said:

Removed all the mods so only Squad and SquadExpansion is in GameData.

Sometimes with drag:

Sometimes no drag:

So totally unrelated about what I said. I think you may had hit a bug.

I have an interesting behaviour on my aircrafts - I make heavy use of flaps and slats for landing and taking-off, and I found that sometimes the surface controls get inverted when I deploy them. I go back to Editor, change the deployment, fire them, they works. But now and them, they are spawned inverted again.

Try this test: launch the Vessel, check the drag. If its there, "Revert to Launch" and try again. See if the thing "fixes" by itself. Then revert again to see if you get it "broken" again, or if the thing from this point is right and stays right.

Perhaps Reverto to Editor should do the trick, something to be tried.

If you manage to reproduce the issue with that steps, this worths a entry on the bug track

1 hour ago, Lisias said:

So totally unrelated about what I said. I think you may had hit a bug.

I have an interesting behaviour on my aircrafts - I make heavy use of flaps and slats for landing and taking-off, and I found that sometimes the surface controls get inverted when I deploy them. I go back to Editor, change the deployment, fire them, they works. But now and them, they are spawned inverted again.

Try this test: launch the Vessel, check the drag. If its there, "Revert to Launch" and try again. See if the thing "fixes" by itself. Then revert again to see if you get it "broken" again, or if the thing from this point is right and stays right.

Perhaps Reverto to Editor should do the trick, something to be tried.

If you manage to reproduce the issue with that steps, this worths a entry on the bug track

The actual issue is: "if the bay is the root instead of the cockpit, except load from editor, it will be unshielded" (aka, if revert to launch is used). Hence @Streetwind got the point.

However, it can be solved by making the cockpit root.

So it's a bug. What more do I need to input to submit it (and how?)

Edited by Jestersage

@Jestersage The public bug tracker is here: https://bugs.kerbalspaceprogram.com/

You need an account to view or do anything, and that's separate from your forum account.

Very likely the behavior has already been reported, as I've seen it discussed on the forums before. Look around, and if you find nothing, look through closed issues as well. It might have been closed with a "unfixable" or similar kind of statement.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.