KSP Loading... Deep Dive on the Breaking Ground Enhanced Edition Expansion

SQUAD

1 hour ago, klgraham1013 said:

Ah.  That's your Steam play time.   I only speak English.  So, it didn't register on first glance.

I thought about changing Steam to English, but I had a game launched at the moment and didn't know how it would react to that. 

On 11/26/2019 at 7:08 PM, SQUAD said:
These improvements include: new textures and mappings for Celestial Bodies, new shaders, optimizations, additional revamps and much more. Our goal for update 1.9 will be to continue to build upon the foundations that make KSP great.

while you are hacking the shaders, it would be very cool if you could add random tiling to the terrain-HQ shader, so the textures don't look that repeated.

for ideas how to implemt that: 

http://www.iquilezles.org/www/articles/texturerepetition/texturerepetition.htm
https://www.reddit.com/r/Unity3D/comments/dhr5g2/i_made_a_stochastic_texture_sampling_shader/

Or at least have the terrain shader included into the parttools or have at least the parameters described, so the modding community can create a replacement version for those who want random repeated textures. 

5 hours ago, Ger_space said:

while you are hacking the shaders,

The Google definition of 'hacking' is "the gaining of unauthorized access to data in a system or computer". How would Squad unauthorize themselves to edit the shaders?

Edited by Bej Kerman

Because Google definition is a load of BS, and the actual word for that sort of thing is cracking. "Hacking", as used by actual computer people, means cleverly working around computer-related problems of all kinds. Not just any coding, but at least somewhat ingenious and original sort (and shader work does tend to require that, these things need to run fast). Indeed, cracking this days usually doesn't involve much hacking, though crackers who can hack can be quite fearsome if they want to.

Seriously, don't use Google as a source. Or at all. The only part of it that kind of works is the search engine (and even then, you have to disable tracking in order for it to stop showing you things you've already found a million times...) and YouTube.

On 11/28/2019 at 11:05 AM, Bej Kerman said:

The Google definition of 'hacking' is "the gaining of unauthorized access to data in a system or computer". How would Squad unauthorize themselves to edit the shaders?

Simple answer: that definition is only one of several and is obviously not apt, so another more applicable definition should be used instead.

The failure to properly indent or index the topics and subtopics in the OP makes it rather difficult to understand.

I found this OP rather frustrating.

22 hours ago, Dragon01 said:

Because Google definition is a load of BS, and the actual word for that sort of thing is cracking. "Hacking", as used by actual computer people, means cleverly working around computer-related problems of all kinds. Not just any coding, but at least somewhat ingenious and original sort (and shader work does tend to require that, these things need to run fast). Indeed, cracking this days usually doesn't involve much hacking, though crackers who can hack can be quite fearsome if they want to.

many years ago, in the olden days of computer programming, we used proper design of code to achieve efficiency ;)

Now, the kids these days and their crazy language...  cracking , hacking, Oh! let's not forget fracking!

(Please don't take this post too seriously)

3 hours ago, HebaruSan said:

Is that like how sayings and references are now called "memes"?

I give memes a pass because I like them they are at least "specific to posting pictures on the internet."

I can think of no difference between a "life hack" and advice, other than that any random piece of advice is likely more useful than any random life hack.

Edited by 5thHorseman

What a "hack" are you guys talking about?

On 11/30/2019 at 3:44 AM, kerbiloid said:

Is the Deep Dive about new parts/terrain details for submersibles?

I think it's related to the great Mohole.

Never been there, but makes me want to go when 1.9 arrives.

Edited by airtrafficcontroller
englishless

By the Kraken I hope that the aero-effect and re-entry shaders are part of the new shaders collection for v1.9

Which parts still need revamping? Reaction wheels? fairing bases? mainsail/t30/t45? Girders/octags and structural things?

Whilst you're doing a deep dive on the PQS system (since 1.8-dev) could you also take a gander at this issue?

Body's North Pole vertex uses South Pole vertex altitude when using PQSMod VertexHeightMap

https://bugs.kerbalspaceprogram.com/issues/17005

If fixed, you may have to re-fix the Mohole though. :D

Edited by Poodmund
Mobile -> Mohole

13 hours ago, KerbMav said:

Fairing bases could do with the decoupler treatment - making them slimmer and even lighter. Most of the (procedural) weight should be from the actual walls.

I'm mostly hoping the 1.25m RW and the fairing bases loose their muffin-tops (oh, and the shrouds of the heatsheilds too actually) since they stick out weirdly from their size profiles

On 11/26/2019 at 12:14 PM, XLjedi said:

I love the robotics stuff...  really hate that 2.0 won't include that.  I love my rescue helos and robotic arms/cranes.

They could add it later, or make the current expansion cross compatible

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.