[1.12.x] Minmar Kerbin Rings 2.4.2 [Kopernicus]

Lithium-7

Minmar Kerbin Rings 2.4.2 [1.12.x] [Kopernicus]

(The screenshot below was taken using Astronomer's Visual Pack. Highly recommended!)

lwYSQb6.png

Requires Kopernicus!

DOWNLOAD HERE (Spacedock)

This mod gives Kerbin rings, intended to be the remains of part of Minmus when it was captured hundreds of years ago.

The mod now also moves Minmus inside the rings, tweaking science values to reduce the value of Minmus and transfer it to the Mun for balance. It even adds a new description and new science logs(With DMagic Orbital Science support), relating to Minmus' new position!

I highly recommend landing on the Greater Flats. The view of Kerbin and her rings is nothing short of spectacular. PERFECT real estate for a mining base!

The custom science logs additionally remove existing logs that contradict Minmus' new position- stock, DMagic, and Crowd Sourced Science.

Now included are a few custom flags- based on the stock Kerbin Mun flag. This is the primary one, but two other(worse) options are available with the legacy versions included in the download.

MpfHjF1.png

I hope people enjoy it!

The original versions are still included in the download, as Classic, 'New' and Minmus Mover Alt versions- previews of which are spoilered below.

Also, sorry, but I didn't bother updating the CKAN version. I just couldn't be bothered. If enough people ask for it, I will.

Spoiler

This screenshot was taken with a custom skybox, Sci-Fi Visual Enhancements, and custom parts installed as well.

KSIOOlI.png

Like the new one, this screenshot was taken using Astronomer's Visual Pack.

lEiOoxr.png

Minmus Mover Alt version.

LGKRbPK.png

Changelog

Spoiler

1.0 - Released.

2.0 - Added new texture option. Mod uploaded to Spacedock and CKAN.

2.1 - Fixed a dumb oversight where the textures weren't loading properly due to the asset path in the Kopernicus config not including the proper new folder names.

2.2 - Added a new option which moves Minmus, and adds new science logs. I didn't bother with CKAN, sorry. I never use it anyway.

2.2.2 - Added a couple custom flag designs to each version- a variation on the Kerbin Mun flag, one with just rings and another with rings and Minmus.

2.3 - Revised the texture of the Minmus Mover option, and copied the old Minmus Mover to a new folder named Minmus Mover Alt.

2.3.1 - One more tweak to the Mover version, moving the rings in much closer to Kerbin. Minmus is now closer to the Roche limit, and the rings largely orbit inside it.

2.3.2 - Added one more flag to all options, kerbinringsflag2. I think I like this one best.

2.4 - Completely redid the Minmus Mover version- now the default- with a new, much more realistic and far prettier texture.
This version was simulated in Universe Sandbox 2, and each minor gap was carefully positioned at an orbital resonance point with Minmus.
The gaps even have names now! They are, in order from closest to furthest, the Danny Gap, the Whistance Gap, and the Nassault Gap.
Minmus itself orbits in the Manley Division, bordering the outermost A ring and the inner B and C rings.

2.4.1 - Added a few new science logs for DMagic's Recon Scan experiment, providing an explanation for Minmus' bizarre geology thanks to its new orbit.

2.4.2 - Minor update moving the inner bound of Kerbin's A ring slightly further out, so it's no longer touching the edge of Minmus' SOI.

MIT License

Copyright (c) 2023 Lithobraker

Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a copy
of this software and associated documentation files (the "Software"), to deal
in the Software without restriction, including without limitation the rights
to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell
copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the Software is
furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions:

The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in all
copies or substantial portions of the Software.

THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR
IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY,
FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE
AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER
LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM,
OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE
SOFTWARE.

Edited by Lithium-7
Updated to version 2.4.2.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 1 year later...

The mod has been updated with a new texture! I know it's been years, but I just decided to give the old mod a facelift. The original textures are still available in the new download on Spacedock, and if I don't mess anything up, the mod will be available on CKAN as well.

Edit: The mod is now live on CKAN!

Edited by Lithium-7

17 hours ago, Lithium-7 said:

The mod has been updated with a new texture! I know it's been years, but I just decided to give the old mod a facelift. The original textures are still available in the new download on Spacedock, and if I don't mess anything up, the mod will be available on CKAN as well.

Edit: The mod is now live on CKAN!

Wow
I've been waiting

• 9 months later...

I made a new version! This one uses the same texture, but it finally also moves Minmus inside the rings.

This change comes with science value tweaks to reduce the overall value of Minmus- and an equal buff to Mun science, to keep the total science available the same.

On top of that, the Minmus Mover version also has custom science reports, which support DMagic Orbital Science, and even Crowd Sourced Science, by removing certain logs that contradict Minmus' new position.

I didn't really bother updating the CKAN version, since I never really use it anyway. If enough people want it, I might do it later. A bit too tired to deal with that right now, I suppose.

Edit: I wasn't quite satisfied with the state of things after I had some rest and another look at it, so I made another new variant with a new texture and revised ring/Minmus positions.

Edited by Lithium-7

In retrospect, I'm not sure how I was satisfied with the second texture for the Minmus Mover version I made last week. This new version is far superior.

The new texture and orbital parameters for Minmus were actually based on some RSS-scale simulations I did in Universe Sandbox 2, to ensure a stable ring system and to additionally ensure Minmus didn't get torn apart.

The new version has Minmus orbit some 200km beyond the outer boundary of its Roche limit, inside a complex system of rings consisting of an A, B and C ring, and several smaller gaps at orbital resonance points. Suffice to say, it's a lot more realistic than any previous version- though Minmus is sort of on the brink of being ripped to shreds.

There are also a few new science logs included, going into more detail about the rings, and the tidal forces acting on Minmus. Study the ring system from high Kerbin orbit with the DMagic orbital telescope!

Spoiler

sy0UTp8.png

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, NaviG said:

Amazing job, but, why is the dark side of Kerbin clearer?

You mean brighter? I think it might be a PlanetShine bug, but I'm not sure. It only seems to happen when in Minmus' SOI.

Come to think of it, Kerbin's dark side should be partially brighter thanks to reflections from the rings. I don't know if there's a mod that could implement that, though...

first image is eye candy
b8vVnRH.png

Planetshine on

Hi8G62I.png

PS off

r9AFtJe.png

Only vacuum ambient light working.

What i was meaning is about Kerbin, its should look as in the first image (darker)

If it's reflection light coming from Minmus, then it's ok but the colour sould be more intense? Somekind of atmo setting? Idk

The ring shader is so cool! I was wondering if some day i could see some scatterer on them :)

edit: oh i forgot, i can see the ring shadows from the terrain of kerbin. I think it would look better if it just doesn't have any shadow at all, because is weird seeing a "black line" as shadow

Edited by NaviG

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/28/2023 at 9:15 PM, NaviG said:

first image is eye candy
b8vVnRH.png

Planetshine on

Hi8G62I.png

PS off

r9AFtJe.png

Only vacuum ambient light working.

What i was meaning is about Kerbin, its should look as in the first image (darker)

If it's reflection light coming from Minmus, then it's ok but the colour sould be more intense? Somekind of atmo setting? Idk

The ring shader is so cool! I was wondering if some day i could see some scatterer on them :)

edit: oh i forgot, i can see the ring shadows from the terrain of kerbin. I think it would look better if it just doesn't have any shadow at all, because is weird seeing a "black line" as shadow

Sorry for the delay, I was distracted by a number of things. I don't think there's much I can do about this.

The configs in this mod are as simple as you can get. It just adds rings and moves Minmus. I don't touch anything that could account for this glow on Kerbin. It may be that there's a vanilla setting I need to change to fix the issue, but I don't have the Kopernicus experience to know what that is- so someone else would have to inform me on that.

• 1 month later...

Oops!  My finger may have slipped on the Hyperedit button and given Minmus a 15° inclination!  :)

screenshot104.png

screenshot6.png

Giving it the inclination may not be entirely realistic, but it sure makes for a fun interception mission early in Career games before you upgrade your tracking station!

• 1 month later...

I recently installed this mod, and there's a bug with the ring shadows. I'll have a normal shadow on the water, with a second ring shadow that follows the active vessel around, and a third that's overlaid on the skybox in its normal position. Any help on fixing this?

image link

• 7 months later...
On 7/18/2023 at 12:22 PM, barleybun said:

I recently installed this mod, and there's a bug with the ring shadows. I'll have a normal shadow on the water, with a second ring shadow that follows the active vessel around, and a third that's overlaid on the skybox in its normal position. Any help on fixing this?

image link

have this problem as well, only way I found to fix it was to disable ring shadows

6 hours ago, Viisuri said:

have this problem as well, only way I found to fix it was to disable ring shadows

On 7/18/2023 at 9:22 AM, barleybun said:

image link

I think ring shadows are just buggy. My mod handles rings exactly like any other Kopernicus mod; there's no special code of any sort. So it's most likely not a problem on my mod's end.