21 members have voted

1. 1. Cyber truck

• YES
    • NO
    • I am a Ford loyalist WHO WILL DIE to see this thing fail

Spoiler
1 hour ago, XB-70A said:

That glass appears to be all but unbreakable

Ford saboteurs replaced the steel balls with tungsten ones.

1 hour ago, XB-70A said:

Also, don't forget that the demonstration model is currently without any side-mirrors, making it illegal in the U.S.

Not human-rated. Autopilot only.

Spoiler

3559d2528c096301f32f9ac94d7e79ef.jpg

38 minutes ago, tater said:

EDIT: The guy that made the video is a wuss, IMO. If you're gonna post a "busted" video about that, you should get a similar hammer, and hit your own car with it.

In good old times "they" would just put the engineer inside and empty a Thompson in the door...
But no. Now they have to cosplay klingons.

The mirror thing is interesting, actually. If the view is the same, is the mirror actually required?

For example, if the rearview mirror screen include the same arc covered by side mirrors, why side mirrors? I'm someone who uses all my mirrors, all the time (and I also crank my head around a lot), but it's about seeing the largest angle possible. That said, laws are parsing specific words, not necessarily function.

I wonder how they are going to solve the issue of humans being used to seeing in three dimensions trying to alter their perspective to see something the 2D "mirror" display cannot see. I know I must look like an idiot trying to peer over ledges, etc. in video games to anyone watching me.

7 minutes ago, Meecrob said:

I wonder how they are going to solve the issue of humans being used to seeing in three dimensions trying to alter their perspective to see something the 2D "mirror" display cannot see. I know I must look like an idiot trying to peer over ledges, etc. in video games to anyone watching me.

Yeah, that would seriously bug me with a screen instead of a mirror. I adapted to a backup camera OK, but I still use my mirrors more even for reversing... and of course driving in reverse I fully turn around (and center myself).

3 hours ago, Meecrob said:

I wonder how they are going to solve the issue of humans being used to seeing in three dimensions trying to alter their perspective to see something the 2D "mirror" display cannot see.

Like we do this in KSP.
Flying to other planets while having only a 15..22" display before the eyes.

Just install RPM/MAS, ASET props, and Hullcam.

Spoiler

Also, isn't that what we exactly do in GTA or Saints Row.

Edited by kerbiloid

I should have worded my statement better. What I meant is that the perspective displayed in the "mirror" display is set by (fixed) camera position. The perspective in a mirror is set by my eye position. For example when I change lanes I look at my side mirror, then while still looking at the mirror, I move my head forward about 6-10 inches so my perspective changes and I can see into my blind spot. I'm sure you could mount the camera on a movable mount controlled by a sensor in the car that tracks your eye position, but personally that just seems like something else to malfunction.

1 hour ago, Meecrob said:

I should have worded my statement better. What I meant is that the perspective displayed in the "mirror" display is set by (fixed) camera position. The perspective in a mirror is set by my eye position. For example when I change lanes I look at my side mirror, then while still looking at the mirror, I move my head forward about 6-10 inches so my perspective changes and I can see into my blind spot. I'm sure you could mount the camera on a movable mount controlled by a sensor in the car that tracks your eye position, but personally that just seems like something else to malfunction.

Christ, the amount of unneeded complexity...

reminds me of that 400$ juice machine that wouldn't work unless it was connected to wifi

1 hour ago, Meecrob said:

Or the cameras are wide angle, and the left-rear and right-rear cameras are stitched to the side of the display so you get LEFT(inc blind spots)---REARVIEW---RIGHT(inc blind spots).

Still, odd compared to what we are all used to.

5 minutes ago, Aperture Science said:

Christ, the amount of unneeded complexity...

reminds me of that 400$ juice machine that wouldn't work unless it was connected to wifi

Yeah, the car has a bunch of cameras with overlapping POV, so they can simply make a single mirror that includes all rearview, including all blind spots, I would think.

The nice thing about a camera is that when you have stuff in the bed, you still get the direct rearview. Of course modern vehicles all have backup cameras anyway...

One thing they didn't talk about is that with a 16" clearance, it would be nice to have offroad cameras optimized for close range (wheel placement offroad).

On 11/27/2019 at 12:24 PM, tater said:

The mirror thing is interesting, actually. If the view is the same, is the mirror actually required?

From my personal aesthetic point of view, I would like to see vehicles getting rid off the side mirrors. Right now, I found the concept available on the VW e-Tron interesting:

audi_virtualmirror_01.jpg

Mounts are still present, but already more aerodynamic.

17 hours ago, tater said:

Also:

The more I'm looking at this pickup, the more I have the impression it could be a secret amphibian vehicle.

Good luck to reach that 0.30, however.

8 minutes ago, XB-70A said:

The more I'm looking at this pickup, the more I have the impression it could be a secret amphibian vehicle.

Good luck to reach that 0.30, however.

He tweeted some reference to the Spy Who Loved Me---didn't that have a submersible car?

On the 0.30 drag coefficient, seems unlikely, but the fact that it's even in the vicinity is sort of amazing given a first look at the shape.

I agree on the side mirrors... Also, there is no need for the mounts sticking out, as long as there is camera coverage There is probably a camera somewhere in the side window area facing sideways and back (and another forwards), so the views are already there someplace.

10 minutes ago, tater said:

He tweeted some reference to the Spy Who Loved Me---didn't that have a submersible car?

Yes, my favorite ride of the whole saga, the Lotus Esprit Series 1 of 76'  (Well, I'm crazy of all Lotus cars too :wub:)

12 minutes ago, tater said:

I agree on the side mirrors... Also, there is no need for the mounts sticking out, as long as there is camera coverage There is probably a camera somewhere in the side window area facing sideways and back (and another forwards), so the views are already there someplace.

Some (including myself) complained about it when the concept became public. Using the correct mirrors, the same target could have been achieved without any mounts, but two small protuberances instead. I never read about an official answer from the VW Group, but I would bet they had to do it for some legal reasons, otherwise it doesn't help further, while inducing more drag.

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.