RP-1 Realistic Progression One for KSP 1.12.3

pap1723

1 hour ago, hargn said:

Hi,

Does the new release compatble with RP-1 1.2.1 saves?

1.2.x saves should be mostly compatible. However some of the early game contracts were changed so it's possible that those could cause issues.

It might be a good idea to do a separate copy of your install for the 1.3 version. This way it would be possible to test your existing save and if there's issues, then you could just continuing playing on the old install.

Oh, and make sure that KCT is updated to the latest version.

1 hour ago, hargn said:

As I read in the changelog, the new X-1 is now only capable to go to 75 km. Above this altitude, my intrepids pilots will die. Right?

The X-1 cockpit part that you unlock in the first supersonic flight node is limited to 30km. However the second supersonic flight node contains a PartUpgrade that costs 5000 funds and allows the cockpit to go up to 75km. Going over that limit means that the crew will slowly asphyxiate, pass out, and eventually die.

On 2/11/2020 at 9:40 AM, siimav said:

I'm so sorry for such a noob question, but it's a real doubt. Why is this still only available for 1.7, while 1.8 has been around for some time, and even 1.9 is out now?

Is the plan to jump from 1.7 to 1.9, or something like that?

Thx in advance!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello chaps,

First of all big thanks to everyone working on this mod, after 700 odd hours in KSP Ive found some thing to do again, anyway onto my question.

I seem to be missing some stuff - in particular a lot of my tech tree nodes are emtpy "early science" for example seems like it out to have something, also some experiments included on the probes are missing,  The 20in x xray detector for example im sure used to include a gieger counter and a meteor impactor experiment but now only has "anylze" telemetry.   The reason im asking is im not sure if the devs have made deliberate changes or if im missing config files or parts?  Indeed I cant find the gieger counter anywhere in the tech tree, was it removed?

Im using KSP 1.7.3 and the latest version of RP-1 frm this thread.

Kind regards and thanks once again for making KSP more awesome (and hard) again.

Cheers!

3 hours ago, Cd109 said:

Hello chaps,

First of all big thanks to everyone working on this mod, after 700 odd hours in KSP Ive found some thing to do again, anyway onto my question.

I seem to be missing some stuff - in particular a lot of my tech tree nodes are emtpy "early science" for example seems like it out to have something, also some experiments included on the probes are missing,  The 20in x xray detector for example im sure used to include a gieger counter and a meteor impactor experiment but now only has "anylze" telemetry.   The reason im asking is im not sure if the devs have made deliberate changes or if im missing config files or parts?  Indeed I cant find the gieger counter anywhere in the tech tree, was it removed?

Im using KSP 1.7.3 and the latest version of RP-1 frm this thread.

Kind regards and thanks once again for making KSP more awesome (and hard) again.

Cheers!

Might be worth posting your tech tree via a slew of screenshots.

My intuition is that you might have a bad install of DMagicOrbitalScience.

My unrelated advice is that you'd probably enjoy Kerbalism with ROKerbalism configs. Among other things, it lets you integrate whichever experiments you want into any probe core you want.

I have an issue with Kerbalism where it shows that Pioneer 4 probe has enough EC to last for 3+ days but in-flight it runs out after just 20 hours.

I have tried to add a battery but then it's too heavy to be thrown on a Lunar trajectory with my basic rocket.

Hello all, played RP0 a few years back and recently getting back into the mod pack. I have question about probe control distances. I'm not using either of the ComSat mods (mostly because I like to build up to increasing complexity) and currently I have avionics packages that have controllable tonnage, and a maximum range. My thought is that if I were to stick an antenna (say the Communotron 16) on my probe, it would extend the range of the avionics control out to the range of the antenna.

This doesn't seem to be the case and I am stuck with the stock range of the avionics, even though I have probe control from the antenna. This means once I get beyond a certain distance from earth I get the 'insufficiant avionics' message pop up. I can fire up engines, perform science experiements etc, but not actually use RCS to orient the probe. My question is whether this is expected behaviour or not? Am I stuck doing LEO missions until I can unlock the next avionics upgrades?

Thanks a lot!

I need some help with a sticky launchpad bug.  I'm using 1.7.3.  I did a fresh install and the problem persists with big rockets.  I used ckan to install the following mods:

Firespitter Resources config (FirespitterResourcesConfig v7.13.0)
Hangar Extender (HangerExtenderExtended 3.5.5)
HeapPadder (HeapPadder 0.0.1.5)
HyperEdit (HyperEdit 1.5.8.0)
Inline Ballutes (InlineBallutes 1.2.9.8)
Kerbal Alarm Clock (KerbalAlarmClock v3.11.0.0)
Kerbal Construction Time-1.7.3 (KerbalConstructionTime-173 1.4.6.24)
Kerbal Engineer Redux (KerbalEngineerRedux 1.1.6.0)
Kerbal Joint Reinforcement Continued (KerbalJointReinforcementContinued v3.5.0)
Kopernicus Planetary System Modifier (Kopernicus 2:release-1.7.3-2)
KRASH - Kerbal Ramification Artifical Simulation Hub (simulation mod for KSP) (KRASH 0.5.30.2)
MagiCore (MagiCore 1.3.1.7)
MechJeb 2 (MechJeb2 2.8.4.0)
ModularFlightIntegrator (ModularFlightIntegrator 1.2.6.0)
Module Manager (ModuleManager 4.0.3)
Patch Manager (PatchManager 0.0.16.4)
Portrait Stats (PortraitStats 17.0)
Precise Maneuver (PreciseManeuver 2:2.4.3)
Procedural Fairings (ProceduralFairings 1:v1.6.2)
Procedural Fairings - For Everything! (ProceduralFairings-ForEverything v0.3.0)
Procedural Parts (ProceduralParts v1.3.19.1_rel)
Real Antennas (RealAntennas v1.0)
Real Fuels (RealFuels rf-v12.8.4)
Real Plume (RealPlume 2:v13.2.0)
Real Solar System (RealSolarSystem v16.4)
Real Solar System Textures - 4096 x 2048 (RSSTextures4096 v13.1)
RealChute Parachute Systems (RealChute v1.4.7.4)
RealHeat (RealHeat v5.0)
Realism Overhaul (RealismOverhaul v12.8.0)
Realistic Progression One (RP-1) (RP-0 v1.3)
Retractable Lifting Surface Module (RetractableLiftingSurface 0.1.6)
ROCapsules (ROCapsules v1.0.0.0)
ROEngines (ROEngines v1.4.0.0)
ROTanks (ROTanks v1.0.1.0)
scatterer (Scatterer 2:v0.0540)
scatterer - default config (Scatterer-config 2:v0.0540)
scatterer - sunflare (Scatterer-sunflare 2:v0.0540)
ScienceAlert ReAlerted (ScienceAlert 1.9.7.1)
SmokeScreen - Extended FX Plugin - Realism Overhaul (SmokeScreen-RO 2.8.12.0)
Solver Engines plugin (SolverEngines v3.7.4.1)
SXTContinued (SXTContinued 1:03.28.2)
TAC Life Support (TACLS) (TACLS v0.13.13.0)
Textures Unlimited (TexturesUnlimited 1.5.8.23)
The Janitor's Closet (JanitorsCloset 0.3.6.1)
Toolbar Controller (ToolbarController 1:0.1.8.2)
Trajectories (Trajectories v2.3.1)
Transfer Window Planner (TransferWindowPlanner v1.7.2.0)
Ven's Stock Part Revamp (VenStockRevamp v1.13.0)
Ven's Stock Part Revamp Core (VenStockRevamp-Core v1.13.0)
VesselMover Continued (VesselMoverContinued 1.7.5)
Zero MiniAVC (ZeroMiniAVC 1:1.1.0.1)

Any suggestions are appreciated.  Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone, I've been having some amount of difficulty getting my 1.7.3 RP-1 install to work smoothly. I meticulously followed every install instruction, bar manually installing builds of mods that had gone stable and were similarly available on CKAN, although I only installed them individually when stated to do so. Things are somewhat working, but performance is really terrible.

I've played a lot of KSP and most of this was on heavily modded installs. My last RP-0 install (on 1.1.x) featured many more extra mods (especially parts) than my current one and still ran smoother than my current, fairly barebones one. What happens to me is humongous loading times, not just the 15 minutes initial one but also often up to a whole minute going back and forth from VAB to test flight with a simple 25 parts sounding rocket. CPU usage in the VAB hovers at 90-100% (which provides nice space heating for my room, don't get me wrong) and RAM usage steadily increases even without doing anything, until my 20GB are all filled up (from an initial load of 12-13GB) and I have to reboot the game, which comes sooner rather than later. Graphics lag is really not an issue, I've played around with different texture resolutions and game options, removed scatterer, etc... no change at all, framerate is good except for that exact same 0.5sec stuttering every 5-6sec that I get in the VAB.

I am also encountering recurrent crashes (about half the time when staging a specific stage) tied to certain crafts, again very simple and minimalistic 38cm sounding rockets. I am afraid that I will hit the stability ceiling of the game quite quick and won't be able to progress further, not mentioning the annoyance of spending half the time looking at the game loading, and of course preventing the use of any other program by locking itself in the foreground because Unity. Below is my mod list from CKAN, if you find anything wrong in it I'd be glad to know :

Advanced Jet Engine (AdvancedJetEngine v2.14.0)
B9 Aerospace Procedural Wings - Fork (B9-PWings-Fork 1:0.91)
B9 Part Switch (B9PartSwitch v2.11.1)
BahamutoD Animation Modules (BDAnimationModules 1:v0.6.5.7)
Basic Procedural Textures (BasicProceduralTextures v1.2)
BetterTimeWarpContinued (BetterTimeWarpCont 2.3.12.5)
ClickThrough Blocker (ClickThroughBlocker 0.1.7.2)
Community Resource Pack (CommunityResourcePack 1.3.0.0)
Community Terrain Texture Pack (CommunityTerrainTexturePack 1:1.0.4)
Contract Configurator (ContractConfigurator 1.27.1)
Custom Barn Kit - RO build (CustomBarnKit-RO 1.1.19.0)
Deadly Reentry Continued (DeadlyReentry v7.7.3.1)
Distant Object Enhancement (DistantObject v1.9.1.1)
Distant Object Enhancement Real Solar System config (DistantObject-RealSolarSystem v1.9.1.1)
DMagic Orbital Science (DMagicOrbitalScience 1.4.2)
DMModuleScienceAnimateGeneric (DMagicScienceAnimate v0.21)
Environmental Visual Enhancements (EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements 2:EVE-1.7.3-0)
Extended information about scientific experiments in VAB (ScienceSituationInfo 1:1.3.3.2)
Ferram Aerospace Research Continued (FerramAerospaceResearchContinued 3:0.15.11.2)
Firespitter Core (FirespitterCore v7.13.0)
Firespitter Resources config (FirespitterResourcesConfig v7.13.0)
Freedom Textures (FreedomTex 1:v1.5.1.0)
Hangar Extender (HangerExtenderExtended 3.5.5)
Kerbal Alarm Clock (KerbalAlarmClock v3.11.0.0)
Kerbal Construction Time (KerbalConstructionTime 1.4.6.10)
Kerbal Joint Reinforcement Continued (KerbalJointReinforcementContinued v3.5.0)
Kerbalism (Kerbalism 3.7)
Kerbalism - RealismOverhaul Config (Kerbalism-Config-RO v0.2)
Kopernicus Planetary System Modifier (Kopernicus 2:release-1.7.3-2)
KRASH - Kerbal Ramification Artifical Simulation Hub (simulation mod for KSP) (KRASH 0.5.30.2)
KSC Switcher (KSCSwitcher 1.6.2.0)
MagiCore (MagiCore 1.3.1.7)
MechJeb 2 - DEV RELEASE (MechJeb2-dev 2.8.3.0-894)
MechJeb and Engineer for all! (MechJebForAll 1.3.0.6)
ModularFlightIntegrator (ModularFlightIntegrator 1.2.6.0)
Module Manager (ModuleManager 4.0.3)
Patch Manager (PatchManager 0.0.16.4)
PlanetShine (PlanetShine 0.2.6.1)
PlanetShine - Default configuration (PlanetShine-Config-Default 0.2.6.1)
Procedural Fairings (ProceduralFairings 1:v1.6.2)
Procedural Parts (ProceduralParts v1.3.19.1_rel)
Procedural Parts - MainSailor's Procedural Textures - Complete Texture Pack (MainSailorTextures-Complete 2.0.0.0.1)
Procedural Parts - MainSailor's Procedural Textures - Essential Textures and Flag (MainSailorTextures-Essentials 2.0.0.0.1)
Procedural Parts - Ven's Revamp Style Textures (VensStylePPTextures 1.1)
Real Antennas (RealAntennas v1.0)
Real Fuels (RealFuels rf-v12.8.4)
Real Plume (RealPlume 2:v13.2.0)
Real Solar System (RealSolarSystem v16.4)
Real Solar System Textures - 4096 x 2048 (RSSTextures4096 v13.1)
RealChute Parachute Systems (RealChute v1.4.7.4)
RealEngines (RealEngines 1:2.01)
RealHeat (RealHeat v5.0)
Realism Overhaul (RealismOverhaul v12.8.0)
Retractable Lifting Surface Module (RetractableLiftingSurface 0.1.6)
ROCapsules (ROCapsules v1.0.0.0)
ROEngines (ROEngines v1.4.0.0)
ROTanks (ROTanks v1.0.1.0)
RSS DateTime Formatter (RSSDateTimeFormatter 1.6.1.0)
SCANsat (SCANsat v18.13)
scatterer (Scatterer 2:v0.0540)
scatterer - default config (Scatterer-config 2:v0.0540)
scatterer - sunflare (Scatterer-sunflare 2:v0.0540)
Ship Manifest (ShipManifest 5.2.1.0)
SmokeScreen - Extended FX Plugin - Realism Overhaul (SmokeScreen-RO 2.8.12.0)
Solver Engines plugin (SolverEngines v3.7.4.1)
Textures Unlimited (TexturesUnlimited 1.5.8.23)
The Janitor's Closet (JanitorsCloset 0.3.6.1)
Toolbar Controller (ToolbarController 1:0.1.8.2)
Ven's New Parts (VenStockRevamp-NewParts v1.13.0)
Ven's Stock Part Revamp (VenStockRevamp v1.13.0)
Ven's Stock Part Revamp Core (VenStockRevamp-Core v1.13.0)

I am all the more motivated to get this setup working smoothly as progress on RO and RP-0 (now RP-1) since I last played it. In these times of confinement it's a non negligible mental health benefit, that is for sure. Even with the freezes, crashes and whatever, it's still the best nerdy creative outlet that I've got. Huge thanks to present, past and future contributors to this amazing project.

I can't edit my previous post which is pending approval (joined in 2013, never ever posted) so sorry for the double post. I managed to mitigate a lot of the slowness by deleting everything in the SquadExpansion folder, which freed something like 1/5th of KSP's memory use at idle and somehow also slashed the loading times in half going between the editor, KSC and flight scenes. I figure none of their assets were going to be used by RP-1, was I wrong?

I also deleted a few leftover part folders from an old version of KSP that for some reason Steam had kept all along, namely the standalone T200/T400/T800 fuel tank parts from 2017-18, since replaced by those from the Size1_Tanks folder. It solved a bug I encountered when trying out the corresponding parts, they seemed to work fine at first but whenever you would load back the vessel, all the parts would be clipping. In case anyone runs into it too, there is your fix, I haven't seen it mentioned elsewhere.

04/04 edit:

I can't figure out the intended way to use procedural tanks from Procedural Parts as in-game descriptions contradict each other. I understand that the "Tank I/II/..." series of parts is deprecated and all descriptions point towards the "Procedural Tank" part, which seems the most up to date and does switch between various available technology levels ; however, this part is also marked as deprecated and its description simply states "Do not use this part."

What is the logic behind it and what should players use, then? Modular tanks from ROTanks are a nice port of SSTU and do look more realistic, but I still really like the variety of Procedural Parts tanks in their varied textures, the shapes you can get out of them (cylinders are a bit restrictive) and vastly prefer their sizing in meters rather than playing with part variants and scale like on the Modular tank.

On another note, stock 1.25m tanks (unlocked at Post-War Materials Science and seemingly the only unlock of this node, bar radial and toroidal tanks from PP) are a bit broken in their mass ratios relatively speaking. I haven't unlocked type III or IV tanks so I can't compare, but stock tanks beat both type I and II (the latter unlocked at the following node, Early Materials Science) in mass ratio, on top of being dirt cheap and not requiring tooling... or fiddling to get each new part to exactly 1.25000m diameter.

Small comparison :

• A stock 1.25m 1kL T200 tank set to "Default" costs 5 credits, is about 1.15m long and, when containing a full load of A-4 propellant mix (incl 507.6 units of Ethanol 75) has a dry weight of 32.12kg.
  • A Procedural Parts cylindrical 1.25m tank with similar 1kL capacity in "Tank-II" configuration costs 9 credits tooled, is 0.926m long and has a dry mass of 52.73kg (again, when loaded with A-4 mix).
  • A similar tank from ROTanks costs 11 credits tooled, is 1.336m long and has a dry mass of 53.25kg.

The comparison goes similarly between a procedural Service module (SM-I) and a T-200 configured as Service module.

I hope this is not considered spamming, I merely wish to help iron out the issues that I stumble upon, from a relatively fresh perspective.

Edited by Tyrannus
Need to add additional information

This will be the final release for KSP versions 1.6.1 and 1.7.3.

Changelog from Previous Version

Contracts

• Increase manned Lunar flyby and orbit contract deadlines to 4 years
  • Remove 'solar power' param from Comm Sat contracts
  • Don't gate Lunar Station behind 4 Lunar Orbits
  • Try to improve the Lunar Impactor contract reliability
  • FSO is now available at the same time as FO. Accepting FSO will automatically accept FO.

Avionics

• Show information about avionics upgrade in the tech tree description
  • Add partial procedural avionics support for ROTanks probe cores. Tooling support still needs implementing.
  • Move avionics configs to a root node to make it more easily usable on other parts
  • Add CoM shifter to proc avionics
  • Defer autopilot/SAS disable when going on rails

Parts

• Undeprecate tank parts
  • Add ECMs, nodes, and Avionics to unconfigured parts from RN Souyz.
  • Add speculative upgrade configs for the X-405H
  • Add AJ10 Transtar
  • Add Lunex RL10
  • Tweak ROCapsules Apollo part cost to be more in line with other variants
  • Add tree placement and ECMs for Agena, Juno
  • Add RD-0124 and RD-0146 from ROEngines
  • Add Titan SRMS from ROEngines
  • Add M-1 from ROEngines
  • Add ETS Apollo from ROCapsules
  • Add Gemini from ROCapsules
  • Add missing Unpressurized cockpit tags
  • ImprovedNuclearPropulsion node shouldn't be orpahned
  • Add KAS/KIS compatibility
  • Raise the Kerbalism fuel cell cost to 1300, since it's ~1.3x the stock fuel cell
  • Lower the cost of all the other standalone Kerbalism LS and chemical processes parts by 10x

Other

• Add career progress tracking and export
  • Fix some MM patch errors regarding empty Cost and EntryCost values
  • Make ContractConfigurator DownrangeDistanceVesselParam starting point persist over autoaccepted contracts (not used yet)
  • Add AvionicsCheck ContractConfigurator parameter (not used yet)
  • Set airlaunch upgrade entry costs to 1
  • Add an option to enable/disable part tooling

CONTRIBUTORS

Thank you to everyone who contributed for this release!
@siimav @Capkirk123 @lpgagnon @nepphhh @Standecco @DRVeyl @DocRockwell @EdwinHoksberg @leudaimon

In my install, ion engines are listed as having 0 thrust, and in fact have 0 thrust.  Things seem to be listed correctly in the cfg files.  

Has anyone else run into this problem?  Thanks

Changelog from Previous Version

Contracts

• Add soft cooldowns to altitude and downrange sounding rocket contracts

Parts

• Use new Separate structure / Integral structure tank system by default (read more about it at #1195)
  • Add support for new ROTanks (integral, separate structure)
  • Add support for ROCapsules Orion
  • Hide deprecated parts from the editor and tech tree
  • Add kOS configs for avionics parts

Other

• Add PAW Groups for ModuleShowInfo's DragCubes
  • Add PAW groups to Avionics
  • Remove additional bits of information from science experiments that doesn't apply to ROKerbalism

CONTRIBUTORS

Thank you to everyone who contributed for this release!
@Standecco @siimav @nepphhh @Capkirk123 @DRVeyl @RCrockford

First ever RO orbit! Woo! (Probably a little unorthodox as I've only just reached Basic Rocketry - XLR43 first stage unguided, S2.253 with Able avionics to give control for latter part of burn, followed by AJ10-27 unguided final stage. Just WAC-Corporal telemetry payload.)

While I'm here:

@Tyrannus huge thanks for Squad folder clearance tip - that was necessary for RO/RP1 on 1.8.1 to load on my laptop. Could that be part of the standard installation instructions, if you're not using additional parts mods (some of which presumably reuse resources)? 

@hargn I can verify that Kerbals will survive to around 85km in the upgraded X-1, as long as its a fairly steep trajectory - they pass out by 80km but don't die and come around in time to pilot the plane back to runway! An X-1 heading an A9-with-wings could probably breach Karman from an airlaunch but I didn't have the heart to push it that far.

And a related question - is there a way to airlaunch within KRASH yet, please? I couldn't see an option, hence not being able to test the above. It's a fantastic addition as it is, so not complaining!

6 minutes ago, Such said:

they pass out by 80km but don't die and come around in time to pilot the plane back to runway

You just got lucky as they will randomly die after passing out. 

7 minutes ago, Such said:

And a related question - is there a way to airlaunch within KRASH yet, please?

Not yet. Just enable the infinite propellant cheat, fly to desired altitude and then disable the cheat.

43 minutes ago, siimav said:

You just got lucky as they will randomly die after passing out. 

Not yet. Just enable the infinite propellant cheat, fly to desired altitude and then disable the cheat.

Oops thanks for the warning. I've got lucky five times... I won't stretch to grab the 85km contract just yet, then. 

I tried with propellant cheat in the sim (take-off also pretty dicey fully fuelled), but could only reach the altitude at a very high velocity - unless there's also a throttle/restart cheat somewhere?

11 hours ago, siimav said:

XLR11 engine can throttle. Besides that, I'm pretty sure that the infinite fuel cheat will also give you infinite ignitions.

Ah thanks once again. I've just been reflying on an A9.