RP-1 Realistic Progression One for KSP 1.12.3

pap1723

On 6/18/2020 at 1:16 AM, Darth Marvin said:

Ok, I think at this point our paths are diverging. My game has no longer crashed on ignition since I removed KRASH. I will reinstall later and then take the topic over to their thread if the crashing starts again. I do still get the occasional crash on the VAB, but it is not frequent enough to be game breaking. I will list all the things I changed since my first post and maybe one of them helps you, but it does seem we have different problems.

- Uninstall KRASH

- Update to the latest release of Rp-1

- Update RSS (I was even bold enough to get the medium resolution textures, I might regret that soon)

- Update Real Plume

I do have a couple of other questions for anyone in this thread. 1) Does FMRS work with Rp-1? I know about the air launch function in Rp-1 but I still want to design my own carrier planes. I won't do it if I risk breaking my game though. 2) Is there another supported Soyuz capsule now that Raidernick's mods have been removed?

Thank you to everyone involved in this mod. I haven't played stock in ages due to just how much more fun Rp-1 is.

FYI there was another thread where similar issues were reported and the fix did the trick for me.  Specifically starting KSP with -force-glcore42 has completely eliminated my crashes (though now I've got some memory leak which limits my sessions to a few launches).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just getting into RP-1 after a long time away from KSP - still at the sounding rocket stage (just managed 3000km down range tonight) but I'm really enjoying it and the challenge so far!

Thought I'd report one snag from setting things up - I did a clean install and believe I followed the 1.8.1 install instructions exactly.  But I couldn't add rockets to the build queue initially, it turned out I neded to install the SpaceTuxLibrary from CKAN, which wasn't mentioned anywhere.  I guess something has a missing dependency.

And I have one question - the Early Film Camera only seems to take pictures for me when flying low or in space, not when flying high.  Is that a bug or is the wiki wrong?

Note: Postpone updating to this release if you have an ongoing career where you haven't accepted the First Scientific Orbit contract yet. Doing so could possibly leave you with a lower than intended sum of rewards from contracts.

Changelog from Previous Version

Contracts

• Improve contract completion requirement info
  • Slightly reduce the amount of contract completions needed to reach higher tier sat contracts
  • Make 'Experimental rocketplanes' contract conflict with the other X-plane High contract as well
  • Increase the 'Break the Sound Barrier (Crewed)' contract deadline to 3 years
  • Add additional hints to sounding rocket contract descriptions (#1296)
  • Split the 'Commercial ComSat' contract into 3 separate contracts based on orbit type
  • Rebalance the rewards for most satellite contracts
  • Remove randomness from a lot of the satellite contracts
  • Redistribute part of the huge First Scientific Satellite advance between other contracts. This brings the advance down from 425k to 250k.
  • Add new 'Advanced Biological Suborbital Experiment' contract

Parts

• Add compatibility with new SCANsat release
  • Move the TD-339 from Early docking to Early landing
  • Move F-1B to NF Orbital Rocketry
  • A lot of engine price fixes (see #1290 and #1309 for full details)
  • Move KIS mountable container to same node as its mount (#1306)
  • Add support for the new ROCapsules Mercury (#1294)
  • Add support for the new ROCapsules Gemini(#1302)
  • Add support for the new ROEngines XLR99 (#1312)
  • Remove all "generic" tanks (#1293)
  • Move Procedural Battery to Orphan node to prevent it from being used (#1293)
  • Rename 'Separate Structure' tanks to 'Stringer' tanks to avoid confusion among new players (#1293)
  • Removed tech requirements for being able to put water in a tank (#1293)
  • Fix Scud engine configs (#1311)

Other

• Remove the CareerLog FundsChanged() logging that got spammy in certain cases
  • Rename the 'Interplanetary Probes' tech node to 'Early Interplanetary Avionics and Probes' to better align with others
  • Add tooling preview button for KCT
  • Reduce VAB/SPH upgrade costs from 1M to 650k
  • Fix kOS upgrades adding mass (#1301)
  • Overhaul the Procedural Avionics UX
  • Improve first load crew retirement dates dialog
  • Update the loading screen tips (#1313)

CONTRIBUTORS

Thank you to everyone who contributed for this release!
@Capkirk123 @siimav @RCrockford @HebaruSan @norcalplanner @lpgagnon

Tried the new version and it looks like rewards for many early contracts have been increased. Is it intentional?

Also, why 3 years deadline for breaking the sound barrier? It can and should be done in 1951, using off the shelf parts, without any tech research.

2 hours ago, KSP user said:

Tried the new version and it looks like rewards for many early contracts have been increased. Is it intentional?

Well, the changelog does say the following: Redistribute part of the huge First Scientific Satellite advance between other contracts.

2 hours ago, KSP user said:

Also, why 3 years deadline for breaking the sound barrier? It can and should be done in 1951, using off the shelf parts, without any tech research.

Because planes can take a long time to build and it gets especially bad if you manage to destroy the first one. The contract also has a rather substantial penalty for failure.

Hi, the mod is absolutely great, I am currently at ~1959 technologies and steadily progressing. I can see many empty nodes in late parts of tech tree, starting from advanced capsules era. Am I missing some recommended mods, or its just still WIP?

I found an issue with built in Avionics of Upper Stages like Titan 2. The RP-1 config file gives them appropriate Avionics but requires Tech unlocks that don't exist in RP1. Maybe that's an left over from an old Tech tree? Deleting those Tech requirements solved the issue. 

On 7/23/2020 at 11:08 AM, desert said:

Hi, the mod is absolutely great, I am currently at ~1959 technologies and steadily progressing. I can see many empty nodes in late parts of tech tree, starting from advanced capsules era. Am I missing some recommended mods, or its just still WIP?

Late game is not work in progress, those nodes exist for the player to add in their own parts from far future mods.  Parts in the tree are only historic to currently existing/in development items that have verified documentation to support real world stats.

Sorry if this is not the right place to ask this, but I could not find a more appropriate place. So, I know developing a robust procedural engines system would be an insane amount of work, but does the RO/RP-1 team at any point, even in the distant future, plan on developing something like that? I completely understand if it would be way beyond the scope of the project, but I can see such a system adding a great deal of gameplay and role-playing depth.

2 hours ago, Draginea said:

Sorry if this is not the right place to ask this, but I could not find a more appropriate place. So, I know developing a robust procedural engines system would be an insane amount of work, but does the RO/RP-1 team at any point, even in the distant future, plan on developing something like that? I completely understand if it would be way beyond the scope of the project, but I can see such a system adding a great deal of gameplay and role-playing depth.

You may want to have a look at SPE, which is already well integrated into RO

Does RP1 now have its own parts for SCANsat- the regular parts show up in the tech tree but not the VAB and new looking parts like the dish shaped low res altimeter don't seam to produce a map after scanning. I am using the Dev version of RP1 and the latest version of RO- I followed the instructions in the link below to the letter- maybe it is a conflict with DMagic Orbital Science versions?

https://github.com/KSP-RO/RP-0/wiki/RO-&-RP-1-Installation-for-1.8.1 RO & RP 1 Installation for 1.8 

Other minor issues- the Mercury capsule also no longer show up as configured for RP1 - (just for RO) and the Gemini capsule- works fine but dose not show the crew inside.

8 hours ago, ValiZockt said:

You may want to have a look at SPE, which is already well integrated into RO

Sorry, I should have been more specific. What I mean by robust is the ability to mix and match things like power cycle, materials (for burn time and reliability), expansion ratio, stuff like that. While I appreciate SPE, it is more like a tweakscale for existing engines, and not something that can be used to create new types of engines and technology families.

• 2 weeks later...

What happened with the Procedural Parts mod? I install the new version and it lets me put all kinds of fuel tanks inside a nose cone, including types that have not yet been researched. Some of them weigh almost nothing. Balloon Tank in a sounding rocket nosecone in 1951???

• 3 weeks later...

Hi ppl,

I am returning to RP1 after a break.

I see that Human coloured faces and historical suits from USA/CCCP arnt being updated (the ones from Green Skull Inc, although the "green/black suits" have been re-released as "Green Skull revived", its even on CKAN & works in RP1 v1.6 on KSP v1.8.1).

Human coloured faces was easy enough to fix (even the "albino Gene" issue was fixed), but how do I get my Mercury/Vostok era (1950's) suits to work?

Anyone have there kerbals looking as human as possible, maybe with a working set of CCCP and/or NASA IVA/EVA suits? The last release of the suits/textures was v0.38... I still have them backed up.

PS: wow RP1 has come along way.  

Note: If you use AmpYear its MM file needs small edit too: Its "@RESOURCE" should be edited to be "@RESOURCE[ReservePower]" in MMConfigAmpYear.cfg file (Located in KSP dir @: GameData\REPOSoftTech\AmpYear) to work with current RO/RP1 in KSP 1.7/1.8 (author doesnt update non-current versions)

Human skin tones and historically accurate suits are "nice to have's" BUT AmpYear is a pretty needed planning tool mod, like TWP, KER or KAC, it really beats doing the math on graph paper or using wolfram-alpha online... it really needs a note on the RP1 wiki so ppl can use it still.

Edited by Guest

Just noticed this, no mention in the wiki for RP1 on KSP v1.8.1 (I think its SUPER VITAL INFO) effecting "1st launch" Sci-core MASS/COST

So the "RP1 Wiki/install" notes seem to be missing important info, for procedural avionics and real antenna's, and its VERY misleading (well not leading really, says nothing) about the Real Antenna "Transmit power" slider (on/in probe cores/command modules real antenna tweak area), as this effects the procedural avionics mass and cost (ALOT!).

Seems the info for some of the info on "this setting will effect mass, dV, & costs" procedural avionics and realantenna.

My fix is to copy install doc and edit it to be a little more "hand holding along the way" (ending with a 1st launch example).

Edited by Guest
realized I ranted after getting home drunk, sorry

kHkdMeC.png1ST Image is close up of NASA logo error I made, a few pixel rows too high...I'll fix it. CCCP "Man In space" logo needs to be made like 5% smaller and moved down a few pixels, due to being "just too high" also. Man I suck at this LMAO

Well not perfect: My edit of the Black and White KSP2 suits (as I couldnt find others that worked 100%, other than Green Skill Revived).

They are 100% working, on KSP v1.8.1 (via texture replacer) at the least, to be NASA & CCCP look alike and/or stand in uniforms. The EVA suits are more "IEVA suits" like the mercury ones. The IVA suits are "similar" styled, but look like "pressurized" high altitude flight suites (a la Pressure Suit, Mark IV, Model 3, U.S.N. styled)

Yes, Sadly Nasa logo is a few rows pixels too "high", I plan on fixing, but wanted to show the screenshots I had off

Also using "Human_Colored_Faces_-_RSS_SASS_Kerbal_Texturepack", I "fixed them" for current RP1 build (simple file structure & tr cfg edit) on 2020 Sept 02.

All "major" ground/scene crew like Gene and Werner are also "human" (Gene in mission control is kinds albino, but no longer "bloody/burnt" looking, guess he spends to much time inside at mission control) WHAT FILE NAME EFFECTS THIS MODEL IN GAME?!? POP UP'S WITH GENE ARE CORRECT, SO WHY NOT MAIN "MISSION CONTROL" GENE?!?

I would like to find more Hispanic and Asian male faces (like 3 more of each, just to add 3 facial hair styles to them) and to add 1 or more hair shades, each, to Hispanic and Asian female faces.

I have "old Black male" face, I'd like 1 "old" male & female face for each white, black (only female needed), hispanic & asian faces as well. 1 for each skin/hair shade would be awesome, so each "young" face has an "old(er)" counter part.

If someone really knows how to do this, make 1950's early 60's style NASA and CCCP suits, that work in current RP1 build, (prefer just nation flag + agency logo) I will supply files and upload them. No others seem to work that arnt green or pink or "mod maker colored"

MY "FINAL", AS OF NOW, GOAL: 4 suit sets each, for NASA/CCCP, representing 1st Mach 1 breaking flights & pre Vostok-1/Freedom-7 era to Salyut/Apollo programme era's

* NASA/CCCP "era" variants listed for eachnation flag on helmet sides (always mirrors image?) & agency logo on "chest badge"

"Suit set 1" Pre-Human Space Flight era:

Pressure Suit: Mark IV, Model 3, U.S.N styled (Suit Green drab/gold helmet) /&/ MIG-15 flight suits (white helmet) as both IVA/EVA each with transparent (face 99% visible) very light black tinted unmirrored visor. I plan to continue using these as "atmospheric flight suits" in all era's.

"Suit set 2" Early IEVA suit era:

Navy Mark IV (Silver suit/white helmet) /&/ SK-1 & 2 (Orange suit/white helmet) IEVA suits as both IVA/EVA each with semi-transparent (face 80% visible) light black mirrored visor.

"Suit set 3" Late IEVA Suit era:

Gemini G4C (IEVA all white soft suit) /&/ CCCP Berkut/Yastreb style (all white soft suit with orange stripe down arms) IEVA suits as both IVA/EVA each with semi-transparent (face 50% visible) medium black mirrored visor.

"Suit set 4" Extra-orbital (Lunar) & Extended time orbital (Skylab/Salyut) era:

Apollo/Skylab A7L (as EVA, all white), G4C used as IVA suit /&/ Krechet/Orlan style (as, all white with orange stripe down arms), Berkut/Yastreb used as IVA suit, EVA suits each with semi-transparent dark black mirrored visor (face 25% visible).

PS getting them to spawn 1st scene without helmets on is "iffy", I followed the how too... but I think breathable atmo's, pressure of over "0.6" atmo's, for no helmet isnt triggering right??? WHY!?!

J1Gc6gy.pngE115wKa.pngM2Ci89v.png4gVrrLk.png

I am 101% willing to share all these files on request.. I dont have a github account (should I make 1, most of this is edited and/or fixed, but now unsupported/unmaintained mods, or for textures I borrowed @Chubby_Hamster & @GregroxMun work (thank you guys, your awesome).

PS: Flag's (USA & USSR) & Logo's (NASA "meatball" & USSR "Man in Space" patches) are open/free for public use.

Massive list of credits in Texture Replacer thread here: 

Edited by Guest
spelling, pic added

How do I determine how much EC to take with me? The life support helper will show the time remaining for food, water, and O2, but not EC. It just says "infinisys". Is there anyway to determine how much to pack ahead of time, or maybe even a formula I can use on my own?

Thanks. I'm loving RP-1 so much!

18 minutes ago, proteasome said:

How do I determine how much EC to take with me? The life support helper will show the time remaining for food, water, and O2, but not EC. It just says "infinisys". Is there anyway to determine how much to pack ahead of time, or maybe even a formula I can use on my own?

Thanks. I'm loving RP-1 so much!

I used to use the mod "ampyear", but it doesnt exactly work 100% anymore. But it can track darkness time, power draw rates and power generation rates still. You have to do the math on wolfram alpha or, the good old way, on paper (or PC)

As a rule of thumb, I like to take minimal payload, so what the "rough" math says plus a few % more. Like my "1st launch" 52.8 EC units, lasts about 8 min on a "starting tech" procedural avionics sci core loaded with both a temp/pressure sensor, real antenna set to "0" transmit power on VHF band (good to atleast my needs, 155km to 160km). It hits the ground (if it doesnt self "super cruise" in last 6km of its decent) with a few seconds of power left (like 0.2 EC)

8 minutes ago, Aazard said:

I used to use the mod "ampyear", but it doesnt exactly work 100% anymore. But it can track darkness time, power draw rates and power generation rates still. You have to do the math on wolfram alpha or, the good old way, on paper (or PC)

As a rule of thumb, I like to take minimal payload, so what the "rough" math says plus a few % more. Like my "1st launch" 52.8 EC units, lasts about 8 min on a "starting tech" procedural avionics sci core loaded with both a temp/pressure sensor, real antenna set to "0" transmit power on VHF band (good to atleast my needs, 155km to 160km). It hits the ground (if it doesnt self "super cruise" in last 6km of its decent) with a few seconds of power left (like 0.2 EC)

But isn't ampyear only for systems? I want something that will calculate life support time the way the built in tool does. Maybe this is more of a TACLS questions?

6 minutes ago, proteasome said:

But isn't ampyear only for systems? I want something that will calculate life support time the way the built in tool does. Maybe this is more of a TACLS questions?

TAC-LS? You should be using kerbalism in the newest RP1, kerbalism, testlite and realantenna seem to have replaced TAC-LS, testflight and remotetech.

Did you follow the wiki install? Wiki always > this thread and, if applicable, mod's thread relating to issue/question. I always talk before reading then seem the fool personally

I can provide minor assistance only, I'm hardly able to edit a cfg or dds file lol

Edited by Guest

6 hours ago, proteasome said:

CKAN

Thats part of it:

Read this, including the side bar links, https://github.com/KSP-RO/RP-0/wiki/RO-&-RP-1-Installation-for-1.8.1 

pay "special" attention to anything about:

1: FAR design VAB/SPH building tools,

#2 All procedural parts (avionics, wing & other) these are all you should use 90% of time

#3 realantenna (comms),

#4 kerbalism (how to science and life support),

#4 KRASH, KER & KCT (test sims, "live" design readouts and construction/research)

#5 and testlite (failures, reliability, engine R&D)

Its only 44 pages, and lots of images, if you need more I will direct you to where I learned/still learn (I'm been on RP1/RSS, and KSP, from when they where just a new borns)

learning mechjeb and transfer window planner, or any planning/predicting tool, is a good idea too.

Edited by Guest