RP-1 Realistic Progression One for KSP 1.12.3

pap1723

Hi, I have the KSP from Epic Games, that seems to not have other versions than 1.12.5, is RP-1 compatible with the version(if are, what version is?) 

I tried using the last version from github, v1.12.15.0, but the mod says that the installation was incorrect, duo to wrong version, what I can do? 

In the case of no other RP-1 version for this KSP version there some workaround or file editing I can do?

Edited by John12
wrong version

@John12 1.12.4 from EGS worked for me in very brief testing, so 1.12.5 is probably also fine.  I needed to tell ckan to consider 1.12.x as compatible, other than that I just followed the normal install instructions. (Note I recommend copying the KSP folder outside of the Epic or steam folders, and modding the copied version. Also I always start KSP by either double clicking ksp.exe, or by creating a shortcut to ksp.exe, and not through the launcher).  https://github.com/KSP-RO/RP-0/wiki/RO-&-RP-1-Express-Installation-for-1.12.3 .

Also, in general you will get faster/better support on the KSP RO/RP-1 discord https://discord.gg/VdsxK9p7QC .

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/5/2023 at 3:31 AM, CatastrophicFailure said:

Hey can anyone recommend a RP-1-compatible mod pack for nuclear reactors? I like the Near Future ones but it seems Dynamic Battery, a dependency, conflicts with the install.

Dynamic Battery Storage should not conflict anymore. It disables itself when Kerbalism is detected. NF is the only reactor mod I am aware of that is configured for RP-1.

Am I missing something, but besides a few space station contracts, there doesnt seem to be any use for space stations in regards to long term science experiments like with stock kerbalism (experiments that take crewed scientists months to years to complete).  Is this the case?  Or perhaps are stations worth it for gateways to/from moon/earth and beyond?

On 2/5/2023 at 2:47 PM, CrzyIrishmanBob said:

I belive you have to manually install NF Electrical

On 2/6/2023 at 10:00 PM, Arrowmaster said:

Dynamic Battery Storage should not conflict anymore. It disables itself when Kerbalism is detected. NF is the only reactor mod I am aware of that is configured for RP-1.

Thanks guys, a manual install did work and seems not to have broken anything. :D

So as a token, have this eye-watering unholy lovechild of Chamberlin and Chelomei. 

UtaKHo6.jpg

On 1/25/2023 at 4:04 AM, AVaughan said:

I needed to tell ckan to consider 1.12.x as compatible, other than that I just followed the normal install instructions.

Could you tell me how to do this? Or point me towards a set of instructions? I'm very new to CKAN, and I think this is the issue I'm running into.

EDIT - Figured it out. It was right in front of me, sorry.

Edited by NotAgain

LlWqSzS.png

I just started RP1 and I am running into an issue with my first orbital rocket.  I am watching Carnasa playthrough video and he uses a XLR43 . This engine does not exist in current version of RO. It appears that it was replaced by NAA-75-110 A series.  The issue I have is that you can not use it for a second stage it can only be ignited from the ground.  What does everyone use as a second stage engine to get to orbit. Using the AJ10 I am coming up short on DV even running engines long.

Edited by Lucky Spacer

Thanks for the Ideas,  I am using Sputnik as my avionics control but when I simulate its says avionics can control 0 tons locking controls.  What am I doing wrong?  I thought sputnik was supposed to control any craft. That is what the specs say.  Do I need to reinstall?

If I use procedural avionics with near earth the weight is way to high.

Well I uninstalled using ckan all mods and reloaded.  That has not fixed the issue of Sputnik being able to control a rocket.  I know at one point I was able to do this but now no matter what size the rocket I can not press T and get sas.  I am going to try a new career to see if that fixes it.  I am at a loss as to what to do.

I'm fairly sure that sputnik is a science core.  That mean it only allows partial control.  It can stage, turn the engine throttle on or off, activate things like science instruments etc, but it cannot control craft attitude and has no SAS support.  Think of it as following a crude level of pre-programming and/or radio control. 

For fully controllable avionics use procedural avionics, and choose near earth avionics, and set the controllable mass appropriately.  Whilst near the earth they will give you full SAS control.   (Often players use multiple avionics units, so they can drop heavy first stage avionics when they drop the stage). 

As you research new techs, you will be able to unlock higher avionic tech levels and build lighter avionics units, and deep space avionics, which give full control even when you aren't near the earth and can hibernate to save EC.    

If you want to use Sputnik for you final stage, then typically you will point in the appropriate direction, then spin up the rocket before decoupling the last controllable avionics unit and activating the final stage engine. 

Edited by AVaughan

So ive just started playing KSP like 2 weeks ago.  Still noobish but just installed rss and ro from ckan but when i tried adding rp1 it said it wasnt compatible w the 1.12.5 or whatever the newest version was that i had installed via steam.  Do i have to go back to an older version of ksp via steam in order to run it or is it just a problem w ckan and i need to try installing it manually?

7 hours ago, BrunoKerman said:

So ive just started playing KSP like 2 weeks ago.  Still noobish but just installed rss and ro from ckan but when i tried adding rp1 it said it wasnt compatible w the 1.12.5 or whatever the newest version was that i had installed via steam.  Do i have to go back to an older version of ksp via steam in order to run it or is it just a problem w ckan and i need to try installing it manually?

You can change the settings in CKAN to allow it to install as if you have an earlier version of KSP.

18 hours ago, AVaughan said:

I'm fairly sure that sputnik is a science core.  That mean it only allows partial control.  It can stage, turn the engine throttle on or off, activate things like science instruments etc, but it cannot control craft attitude and has no SAS support.  Think of it as following a crude level of pre-programming and/or radio control. 

For fully controllable avionics use procedural avionics, and choose near earth avionics, and set the controllable mass appropriately.  Whilst near the earth they will give you full SAS control.   (Often players use multiple avionics units, so they can drop heavy first stage avionics when they drop the stage). 

As you research new techs, you will be able to unlock higher avionic tech levels and build lighter avionics units, and deep space avionics, which give full control even when you aren't near the earth and can hibernate to save EC.    

If you want to use Sputnik for you final stage, then typically you will point in the appropriate direction, then spin up the rocket before decoupling the last controllable avionics unit and activating the final stage engine. 

Thank you for your help.  I was using the ksp model not RO about control of each stage.  Add avionics to each stage and it all works! Have to use Near earth and I do not mess with sputnik any more:)

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/3/2021 at 10:53 AM, Nobody6 said:

Update:

After deleting half a dozen shorthand key combinations I was able to access the debug console and find out that I was missing electric charge... ? Turns out my batteries had vanished or were empty. Still strange but I can at least fly again.

Did you ever find out what caused your batteries to vanish?  I'm on a fresh install, and I've noticed none of the batteries are present either.  Neither the stock ones or the extra mod ones.  I've also noticed some other parts seem to be missing.  All of the default rockets are unavailable in the VAB because they contain "Locked or invalid parts".  I'm in a sandbox so I don't think that they're locked in parts of the tech tree.  They're just not there.

Another question, are failures hard coded into a vessel when it's built?  As in, when a vehicle is constructed it will have a default in it that means it will 100% fail?  I've tried to launch a sounding rocket and I've had to revert 4 times now because it's failed every time.   

And related to that, is the TestFlight mod a dependency to anything else?  Or can I just... remove it without worrying about breaking anything

16 minutes ago, PTNLemay said:

Another question, are failures hard coded into a vessel when it's built?  As in, when a vehicle is constructed it will have a default in it that means it will 100% fail?  I've tried to launch a sounding rocket and I've had to revert 4 times now because it's failed every time.   

And related to that, is the TestFlight mod a dependency to anything else?  Or can I just... remove it without worrying about breaking anything

The TF 'failure curve' is hard wired but each flight moves you along this curve by collecting 'data units' (du), so each flight improves your chances.  Each part will have it's own failure curve but as far as I know none start at 100%.  Typically they start at a 70%ish chance of failure and go down to 1% or so. 

These ignition failures also give you du and if it's an ignition failure you can simply roll it back and try again with a better chance of success.  You won't get du from reverting the flight though.  You can disable failures in the TF menu if you like, but honestly this is doing exactly what it's supposed to be doing.

Edited by Pehvbot

@Pehvbot

I see.  I'm following the excellent tutorial on the Github, but it didn't give much detail on how failures work.

By default I can see the Aerobee engine is intended to run for 47 seconds.  Which is short of what's needed to pass the Karman line.  As I collect DUs, should this number be going up?  I'm guessing 47s is like the mean in a bell curve, where sometimes it fails earlier, sometimes it fails later.   What I'd like is to see how "experienced" my space program is for a given engine.

If you center click on a part in the VAB it will give you the TF stats. 

The expected run time tells you how long the engine uses the nominal failure curve, but once you exceed that time the chance of failure goes up pretty quickly.  If you open the TF menu in flight you can see how the chance of failure goes up dramatically once you exceed this time.   It's roughly modeling things like engine burn through or parts wearing out.  A better understood engine can certainly be 'over burned' more than a new one, but there are limits.

Hi, can someone explain to me the differences between the 'location' button in the KSC menu, the 'select launch site button' next to a craft in the KSC menu, the arrows in the KSC menu that allow me to switch to different sizes of launch pads, and finally the selection in the tracking station of the global launch site(e.g. woomerang, cape Canaveral, etc.)?

I have Katniss' Canaveral, which I think has something to do with all of this as I think it adds launch sites to the canaveral launch 'location'.. but how do the launch pads function in this then?? 

Many thanks in advance

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, mateusviccari said:

Is there a way to disable crew leave (time inactive after completing a mission)? There's an option to disable crew retirement, but I couldn't find one to disable crew leave.

Coming in next release.