RP-1 Realistic Progression One for KSP 1.12.3

pap1723

@pt1243 and @ValiZockt

Thank you guys for helpin out a n00b :P

2 hours ago, pt1243 said:

It doesn't matter - just make a new text file, paste that in, and save it with a .cfg extension somewhere in your GameData folder. Although, you may want to name the file something descriptive so it's easy to find it should you need it.

Spoiler

j49nGH3.png

Am I missing something here?

Edited by mcwaffles2003

Hey guys, sorry I keep popping in here  but I'm really trying to enjoy this mod. I'm learning kOS so I can get more reliable launches and this keeps happening:

Spoiler

OO4k6Al.jpg

I don't get how I have "Insufficient Avionics", this works if I attach a 1m wide "A-4  Guidance Unit" but I am trying to use the procedural avionics part. I believe I have the requirements filled out:

Spoiler

ZVb1YpJ.jpg

I've tried using this mod several times then I hit a wall and go back to modded stock ksp... But I'm determined to actually get somewhere on this playthrough and hopefully even learn to code better along the way, but stuff like this is killing me here :/

24 minutes ago, mcwaffles2003 said:

I don't get how I have "Insufficient Avionics", this works if I attach a 1m wide "A-4  Guidance Unit" but I am trying to use the procedural avionics part. I believe I have the requirements filled out:

Be sure to have enough EC.

Right now your avionics volume is 100% utilized to avionics tonnage, but not to batteries. Make your avionics a bit bigger (but don’t raise the tonnage), open the fuels menu and select Electric Charge.

3 minutes ago, ValiZockt said:

Be sure to have enough EC.

Right now your avionics volume is 100% utilized to avionics tonnage, but not to batteries. Make your avionics a bit bigger (but don’t raise the tonnage), open the fuels menu and select Electric Charge.

Sweet jesus you are a savior... Learning to code while learning RP-1 is a bit frustrating.

Once again, I'm sorry to clutter up this thread. I can't believe I overlooked that....

Oooh man. I haven't played RO + RP-0/1 for a long long time, and it seems better and more stable than ever. Just wanted to say  thanks to everyone working on all these mods :)

Hi all,

I was wondering how to upgrade the X-1 cockpit's service ceiling. I have researched the Supersonic Flight node which allows crew to survive up to 75km from the current 30km, but when I go into the SPH the cockpit still has the 30km service ceiling. I can't seem to figure out how to apply the upgrade and was wondering if anyone can help.

Thanks!

18 hours ago, pt1243 said:

Hi all,

I was wondering how to upgrade the X-1 cockpit's service ceiling. I have researched the Supersonic Flight node which allows crew to survive up to 75km from the current 30km, but when I go into the SPH the cockpit still has the 30km service ceiling. I can't seem to figure out how to apply the upgrade and was wondering if anyone can help.

Thanks!

Is this for a newly placed cockpit, or a loaded craft? You might need to replace the cockpit on old craft for it to get upgraded stats.

You also might need to buy the upgrade in the R&D centre.

14 hours ago, Flibble said:

Is this for a newly placed cockpit, or a loaded craft? You might need to replace the cockpit on old craft for it to get upgraded stats.

I've tried both but it didn't seem to make a difference.

14 hours ago, Flibble said:

You also might need to buy the upgrade in the R&D centre.

I'll give this a try.

Not sure if this is the right place (if not, please let me know). I’ve installed the RP-1 for KSP 1.8.1 exactly as instructed on the wiki and am following the first sounding rocket walk through. I use the WAC control unit and it works fine with the rocket without the Tiny Tim SRB. When I add the SRB, I can no longer ignite the Aerobee engine. I tried adding procedural avionics (it complains about being able to control 0.000t with the core used), but 3.2m of 300mm avionics can only control 0.08t  rocket, about 1/10 of my sounding rocket. This doesn’t seem to make sense. 

The tutorial mentions a 0.3m sounding rocket Probe core. The closest I have is the WAC controller. is this part coming from a parts mod that isn’t part of the minimal installation? 

Edited by Bongotastic

28 minutes ago, Bongotastic said:

Not sure if this is the right place (if not, please let me know). I’ve installed the RP-1 for KSP 1.8.1 exactly as instructed on the wiki and am following the first sounding rocket walk through. I use the WAC control unit and it works fine with the rocket without the Tiny Tim SRB. When I add the SRB, I can no longer ignite the Aerobee engine. I tried adding procedural avionics (it complains about being able to control 0.000t with the core used), but 3.2m of 300mm avionics can only control 0.08t  rocket, about 1/10 of my sounding rocket. This doesn’t seem to make sense. 

The tutorial mentions a 0.3m sounding rocket Probe core. The closest I have is the WAC controller. is this part coming from a parts mod that isn’t part of the minimal installation? 

Sounds like you’re using a Near Earth Avionics, the one that gives you full control over your rocket (pitch, yaw, roll), but for sounding rockets you don’t need full control over your rocket.

Try using a Science Avionics, they only give you the ability to stage, which is enough for a sounding rocket.

Edited by ValiZockt

3 minutes ago, ValiZockt said:

Sounds like you’re using a Near Earth Avionics, the one that gives you full control over your rocket (pitch, yaw, roll), but for sounding rockets you don’t need full control over your rocket.

Try using a Science Avionics, they only give you the ability to stage, which is enough for a sounding rocket .

This is correct, I'll try this tonight. I wouldn't have thought about trying science core to fix a control issue. Thanks! 

I kind of enjoy trying to figure things out on my own, but after a while I start to wonder whether this is a missing part or a mod conflict issue. 

Edited by Bongotastic

13 hours ago, Bongotastic said:

This is correct, I'll try this tonight. I wouldn't have thought about trying science core to fix a control issue. Thanks! 

I kind of enjoy trying to figure things out on my own, but after a while I start to wonder whether this is a missing part or a mod conflict issue. 

Also check your Aerobee isn't failing due to 'vapor in feed lines' - it needs ullage ie ignite on the ground or while accelerating. In short, make sure you stage before the Tiny Tim extinguishes. 

Hi,

I was wondering if I understood the entry cost modifiers correctly, the page on the wiki seems(?) to not be entirely accurate anymore.

If I want to research the RD-107 engine, the engine ECM file tells me the following:

RD-107-8D74 = 10000, R7-TP

The general ecm file in the repo then has the following:

R7-Engines = 40000
R7-TP = 80000, R12-TP-1957, R7-Engines

Does this mean that the RD-107-8D74 will cost me 10 000+80 000+40 000+(R12-series) funds? Will I then have 'unlocked' the R7-Engines 'node' for subsequent research of e.g. the RD-108?

Would appreciate any clarification.
Thanks in advance,

Nicolai

@sqreNicolai Yes, that sounds correct.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Changelog from Previous Version

Contracts

• Fix floating point issues in payload contracts by requiring 0.01 less than stated
  • Add soft cooldown to 'X-Planes Low' and 'X-Planes High'
  • Increase the FO advance to 75k
  • Round FO and FSO reward amounts
  • Change uncrewed Lunar landing deadline to 2 years
  • Add explanation to FSO contract that it does not properly complete in Kerbalism
  • Geostationary sat contract pay more than Tundra
  • Improve completion count info in contract descriptions
  • Greatly lower contract reputation penalties
  • Split the Orbital Recovery contract into 3 separate contracts with increasing difficulty
  • Add repeatable orbit contracts for all planets
  • Fix 2.4 times lower than intended rewards for some planetary orbit contracts
  • Fly-by contracts that were gated by Mars are now gated by either Venus or Mars

Parts

• Lower ORM-65 entry cost to 1
  • Add SM tank upgrade information to the tech tree
  • Fix tech tree positions for Balloon tank upgrades
  • Move all the Separate ROTanks parts to the starting node
  • Add part configs for ROEngines Extended mod
  • Add ECMs to Science Cores
  • Fix Balloon tanks ECMs so that unlock cost is shared
  • Add training for ROC Gemini
  • Add tooling support for ROTanks procedural probe cores
  • Move Cavea-B to the same node as bipropellant RCS
  • Fix tooling for ROTanks SM
  • Move ETS Apollo Solar Panels to the correct node
  • Make unbalanced parts non-RP-0
  • Tech tree adjustments for Kerbalism parts
  • Add support for ROCapsules CST-100
  • Add support for a lot of new ROEngines parts
  • Better unlock cost for ROC gemini RCS pack
  • Fix RD-253-Mk3 config
  • Docking port unlock cost tweaks
  • RSB + KK SpaceX pack avionics support
  • Add more Agena Configs
  • Fix Rutherford configs
  • Fix RS2100 configs

Other

• Various improvements to career log
  • Improve the on-screen messages in ModuleUnpressurizedCockpit
  • Fix untooled vessels losing progress with KCT edit
  • Fix procedural Science Core MaxControllableMass being calculated as Infinity, not 0.
  • Add training course name to ModuleShowInfo in part picker dialog
  • Add GeneralAviation training category for all the subsonic cockpits
  • Fix Spaceplane training configs
  • Short training times show hours in RP-1 UI
  • Add workaround for KRASH not reverting game state correctly. This should mostly fix crew trainings not completing after a very long KRASH sim.
  • Ensure that maintenance funds are deducted at least daily
  • Add maintenance cost to all crew training courses
  • Double the death chance when a crewmember has passed out from going over the cockpit service altitude
  • Improve part tag texts
  • Rework how retirement dates are calculated (read more at #1271)
  • Rework R&R calculations (read more at #1271)
  • Add retirement No-Later-Than value to GUI
  • Update loading screen tips

CONTRIBUTORS

Thank you to everyone who contributed for this release!
@lpgagnon @siimav @leudaimon @glilienthal @Capkirk123 @lukecologne @Haukifile @DRVeyl @Standecco @norcalplanner @smartdummies

Edited by siimav

Hello everyone,

I was hoping somebody could help me figure an issue out. I am playing RP-1 version 1.4.1 (KSP version 1.8.1) on Linux (Ubuntu 16.04). Performance as far as frame rate and loading times was much better than 1.6, but I am getting a lot of crashes, usually when igniting engines on launch. My Player.log file spams this:

(Filename: ./Runtime/GfxDevice/opengles/DeviceStateGLES.cpp Line: 72)

OpenGL Error: Invalid texture unit!

The file is also huge (usually over 1Gb), and gedit crashes when I try to scroll down to the bottom, so I am not even sure this is related to the crash. I suspected procedural parts was at fault, because they appear black in the part menu on the VAB, but I removed it and the spam persists. I will try disabling KSP logging to see if the crash is just a memory issue due to the size of the log, but I would still like to know if this means I have something installed incorrectly. Has anybody encountered something like this?

My mods:
RP-1 and its dependencies installed through CKAN.

Principia

RO part mods (tanks, engines, etc.)

Procedural parts

ScanSat

KIS and KAS

KRPC

MechJeb

Some ASET IVAs

RSSVE + dependencies

Kerbalism

Those are the main ones. I just completed the first polar orbit contract, so I haven't really used many parts aside from procedural and RO tanks and a couple of RO engines. I also don't have more than one vessel in orbit. I did not have a crash the last couple times I played, so my current player.log will not have a crash report. I can still provide it if it is useful. I will also come back with an update on whether disabling KSP logging help. Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance.

Is there any decent guide on beating real world to crewed lunar landing? I am playing on normal difficulty and I can't even keep up with the historical timeline.

For my past two careers I took advice from that guide on the github wiki of RP-1. By investing only in VAB and tech, I am able to keep pace until about the first orbit (1955-1956). After that, I simply cannot research nodes fast enough. By around 1960, real world catches up to me, and after that I fall about 5-7 years behind. I keep seeing careers of other players with lunar landings in 1966. At the same time, my past career has achieved crewed orbit in 1965 and would have achieved only crewed flyby by 1972. In my current career I'm even further behind with crewed orbit in 1968.

It would be very insightful if someone more experienced would write a general outline of their progression, but any advice is welcome.

On 6/12/2020 at 2:53 AM, Darth Marvin said:

Hello everyone,

I was hoping somebody could help me figure an issue out. I am playing RP-1 version 1.4.1 (KSP version 1.8.1) on Linux (Ubuntu 16.04). Performance as far as frame rate and loading times was much better than 1.6, but I am getting a lot of crashes, usually when igniting engines on launch. My Player.log file spams this:

(Filename: ./Runtime/GfxDevice/opengles/DeviceStateGLES.cpp Line: 72)

OpenGL Error: Invalid texture unit!

The file is also huge (usually over 1Gb), and gedit crashes when I try to scroll down to the bottom, so I am not even sure this is related to the crash. I suspected procedural parts was at fault, because they appear black in the part menu on the VAB, but I removed it and the spam persists. I will try disabling KSP logging to see if the crash is just a memory issue due to the size of the log, but I would still like to know if this means I have something installed incorrectly. Has anybody encountered something like this?

My mods:
RP-1 and its dependencies installed through CKAN.

Principia

RO part mods (tanks, engines, etc.)

Procedural parts

ScanSat

KIS and KAS

KRPC

MechJeb

Some ASET IVAs

RSSVE + dependencies

Kerbalism

Those are the main ones. I just completed the first polar orbit contract, so I haven't really used many parts aside from procedural and RO tanks and a couple of RO engines. I also don't have more than one vessel in orbit. I did not have a crash the last couple times I played, so my current player.log will not have a crash report. I can still provide it if it is useful. I will also come back with an update on whether disabling KSP logging help. Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance.

I'm also seeing this.  I just started a new game on 1.8.1 (linux) and initially saw a few crashes that seemed to be related either to scene changes or explosions, but after creating my first rocket using an XLR43 the game crashes on engine ignition almost every time (probably something like 5/6 so far).

Mod List

Player.log

To partially narrow down my issue, I tried removing Real Plume (since the issue seemed to be most common at engine ignition) and sure enough my rocket was able to launch successfully.  However, when launching via KRASH simulation terminating the simulation (going back to the VAB) caused the game to crash again.  Flying the rocket normally (outside of simulation) and going back to space station after explosion did not crash the game.

It also looks like the OpenGL Error: Invalid texture unit! errors may be a red hearing as I still see those in the logs for a session that doesn't crash.

9 hours ago, jenden said:

However, when launching via KRASH simulation terminating the simulation (going back to the VAB) caused the game to crash again.  Flying the rocket normally (outside of simulation) and going back to space station after explosion did not crash the game.

I also suspect KRASH might be the culprit. Yesterday I played for a couple of hours without simulations and it went smoothly. Later I started up the game again and did a simulation which went fine. After said simulation I tried repeatedly to launch a rocket and it crashed on ignition. I used a backup persistent file to restore my save to just before I did the simulation. I tried launching the same rocket that was crashing and it went smoothly again. Today I removed KRASH and launched a rocket repeatedly in sandbox to test some KRPC code. I had no issue. My player.log file is still huge though.

14 hours ago, jenden said:

I'm also seeing this.  I just started a new game on 1.8.1 (linux) and initially saw a few crashes that seemed to be related either to scene changes or explosions, but after creating my first rocket using an XLR43 the game crashes on engine ignition almost every time (probably something like 5/6 so far).

Did you happen to run a KRASH simulation beforehand like in my case?

This is my player.log file for one of the times it crashed on ignition:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4z8badbhlq0mf8d/Player.log?dl=0

42 minutes ago, Darth Marvin said:

Did you happen to run a KRASH simulation beforehand like in my case?

In my case it was actually during the KRASH simulations that it was crashing.  I didn't think to try the launch without simulating first, but will do so.

Ok, new launch, no KRASH (still installed but not used), uninstalled RSSVE, EVE, Scatterer, or Distant Object Enhancements (basically all the optional mods in the graphics section).  I added RealPlume back in as it was still crashing without (though maybe slightly less frequenty).

And it still crashes fairly frequently on ignition.

This time the last entry in Player.log is a stack trace, though doesn't seem to be super useful:

Obtained 18 stack frames.
#0  0x007fbdc3eebb21 in __nss_database_lookup
#1  0x000000007385dc in (Unknown)
#2  0x0000000074238b in (Unknown)
#3  0x00000000742788 in (Unknown)
#4  0x00000001264f1c in (Unknown)
#5  0x000000012657a6 in (Unknown)
#6  0x000000008c9856 in (Unknown)
#7  0x000000008d4bce in (Unknown)
#8  0x00000000d2af3b in (Unknown)
#9  0x000000008e9835 in (Unknown)
#10 0x000000008d1326 in (Unknown)
#11 0x0000000088ea36 in (Unknown)
#12 0x00000000889d6b in (Unknown)
#13 0x0000000088614a in (Unknown)
#14 0x00000000886289 in (Unknown)
#15 0x00000000cbad49 in (Unknown)
#16 0x007fbdc3f54ea7 in start_thread
#17 0x007fbdc3e8b5af in clone

Edit: While I am still crashing occasionally, removing the various graphics mods does seem to reduce the frequency considerably.  Definitely seems to be video related, will try changing graphics driver versions and see if that helps. Currently on nVidia driver version 440.82-r3.

Edited by jenden

On 6/15/2020 at 9:37 AM, jenden said:

Edit: While I am still crashing occasionally, removing the various graphics mods does seem to reduce the frequency considerably.  Definitely seems to be video related, will try changing graphics driver versions and see if that helps. Currently on nVidia driver version 440.82-r3.

Ok, I think at this point our paths are diverging. My game has no longer crashed on ignition since I removed KRASH. I will reinstall later and then take the topic over to their thread if the crashing starts again. I do still get the occasional crash on the VAB, but it is not frequent enough to be game breaking. I will list all the things I changed since my first post and maybe one of them helps you, but it does seem we have different problems.

- Uninstall KRASH

- Update to the latest release of Rp-1

- Update RSS (I was even bold enough to get the medium resolution textures, I might regret that soon)

- Update Real Plume

I do have a couple of other questions for anyone in this thread. 1) Does FMRS work with Rp-1? I know about the air launch function in Rp-1 but I still want to design my own carrier planes. I won't do it if I risk breaking my game though. 2) Is there another supported Soyuz capsule now that Raidernick's mods have been removed?

Thank you to everyone involved in this mod. I haven't played stock in ages due to just how much more fun Rp-1 is.

Edited by Darth Marvin