Lunar rescue Contract?

Thanks guys but pick up the pace around here.  Took you almost a minute to respond!

Well I did find her but there is no orbital data.  I'll try going out there and see what I can do.  On another note i noticed just now that I left a lot of debris all over the place. Do I get anything for cleaning that up?

Edited by GungaDin

4 minutes ago, GungaDin said:

My good guess is that I would be able to see her orbit if I had enough money to upgrade my tracking station...

I don't play realism overhaul, but that isn't standard.. Nor have I ever heard of that happening.

A Kerbal stranded in her space suit shouldn't show as debris.  Debris would normally be a spacecraft fragment, and when it's not showing an orbit ellipse, it may be "landed" on the surface of the Mun.

The antenna on your ship only affects how far you can communicate back to Kerbin, it has nothing to do with targeting.  Lack of targeting ability is likely due to not having upgraded your Tracking Station (or Mission Control, but I think it's Tracking Station in this case).  To rendezvous with a Kerbal who likely has no EVA fuel left, without the ability to target the rescuee?  You've got your work cut out for you.  I don't know that I could do that, and I've done a bunch of rescue contracts in LKO and Munar orbit -- but never tried them before I had targeting ability.

21 hours ago, GungaDin said:

My good guess is that I would be able to see her orbit if I had enough money to upgrade my tracking station...

What level IS your tracking station? I would be suspicious if you have never upgraded it at all.

There are no other factors that I know of that would affect visibility of orbit lines, including various antennae configs. It's not on the vessel, it's on your ground facilities.

47 minutes ago, eddiew said:

What level IS your tracking station? I would be suspicious if you have never upgraded it at all.

There are no other factors that I know of that would affect visibility of orbit lines, including various antennae configs. It's not on the vessel, it's on your ground facilities.

OK so I'm going to save the game and then cheat by borrowing money to upgrade my ground facilities to see if that's it.

I upgraded my Earth tracking to level 3 now.  When I'm in map mode and click on my target - the only option I get is to "View From Tracking Station".  I do that and this is what I get - my target but with a red line leading to Earth.  My thought here is if my locking and tracking is done from Earth and not from my ship - then it can only be done when my target is visible from Earth and it is in a VERY low lunar orbit so not trackable 50% of the time.I will wait until both it and my ship are on the Earthward side and try to lock on it then.

----

No luck with that idea.  Both of us Earthward and I still can't lock on it.  I might have to break out pencil and paper and do some math.  Anyone have a good book on Orbital Mechanics?  I think I can get close to it but with no read out of relative speed I don't think I can do it.  (I do NOT have RO installed - only KSRSS) 

img%5D

Edited by GungaDin

Another thing I notice. "Last seen"

That's just weird. I don't pay much attention and don't do much of these rescues, but I don't recall ever seeing that text on anything recovered.

If you post your save somewhere and it doesn't require a ton of mods I don't have, I'll load it up and take a look.

Actually I see you're using RSS or something? As I admit I don't always pay enough attention, you and the contract have both been saying "Moon" and "Earth" :D

So I won't be able to load it, but maybe I can look at the text.

Edited by 5thHorseman

It looks like its classifying the rescue target as an asteroid - that's the only time I've seen the "Last seen ...." tag, on asteroids that aren't being tracked.  Also, it lists her as a "Size class: A (tiny)" which is also only listed for asteroids.  Kinda seems like something is glitched with the contract and/or the target.

6 hours ago, Cavscout74 said:

It looks like its classifying the rescue target as an asteroid - that's the only time I've seen the "Last seen ...." tag, on asteroids that aren't being tracked.  Also, it lists her as a "Size class: A (tiny)" which is also only listed for asteroids.  Kinda seems like something is glitched with the contract and/or the target.

Indeed. Are you using any mods that might interfere with the selection of parts that the rescuee is in, or with the contracts itself?

Is there an option to track "Cridson's Debris" in the tracking station?

5 hours ago, AHHans said:

Indeed. Are you using any mods that might interfere with the selection of parts that the rescuee is in, or with the contracts itself?

Is there an option to track "Cridson's Debris" in the tracking station?

No and no. I can only imagine that the debris is orbiting below the surface of the moon since the Mun is smaller then my KSRSS Moon.

15 minutes ago, GungaDin said:

No and no. I can only imagine that the debris is orbiting below the surface of the moon since the Mun is smaller then my KSRSS Moon.

O.K. But even then the way that this part is reported is strange.

You could check in the save-file if the semi-major-axis (SMA) of the orbit is smaller than the radius of your Moon.

8 hours ago, GungaDin said:

That would explain most of what you're seeing -- no orbit ellipse for Crisdon, inability to get a target lock.  "Debris" might be because the game decided (s)he was below the surface and crashed, but won't actually show the craft as destroyed until you're within physics range.  The "last seen on" and size class, however, are typical of an asteroid.  I supposed the game getting confused with Crisdon being inside the Moon might do something weird like that, but I think it's very unlikely you'll be able to make this rescue.  Mine all you like, you can't dig actual holes in the Moon (or the Mun).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.