Kayak Club

a4k1egb.png

More formally known as the Prestigious Association of Kerbin Explorers

Being as, and whereas, a number of us have gathered together and discussed the present matter, that a deplorable number of Kerbals, eager to explore the confines of Space, are yet insufficiently familiar with our own dear habitat.  Kerbin.  And in order to raise consciousness, and preservation, of our own natural environment, we have decided today, to form the Prestigious Association of Kerbin Explorers.  Membership is Strictly Limited and by Invitation Only.  I.e. open to all who qualify according to these, the rules, of our association.

3rspRWJ.jpg

Rules of Kayak Club:

1. Do not talk about Kayak Club.
  2. Post herein this topic a screenshot of some pretty location on Kerbin.  Should be panoramic enough for others to identify the location from some angle upon arrival.
  3. Explorer (poster) must not reveal coordinates until acknowledgement of visitation of 5 Adventurers.  [Recommend simply Like the post if thought to be correct; else abstain.]
  4. Give some clues about how to get there, couched in terms of (e.g.) an initial heading from KSC, followed by flowery description of landmarks along the way.
  5. Adventurers will respond with a screenshot of the target location including their own Kerbal or vehicle in such a way as to distinguish that Adventurer from other exploiteers.
  6. Adventurers do not give away coordinates (disqualification).
  7. First five arrivals will be awarded 5,4,3,2,1 points, as adjudicated by the Supreme Judges (@Castille7 and @purpleivan).
  8. Poster of the initial Landmark Screenshot will be awarded 10 points for the post, as soon as the first Adventurer proves visitation.
  9. A Leader-board of point scores shall be kept.
  10. Do not talk about Kayak Club.

NEW: Some Suggestions for Explorers and Adventurers is recommended reading.

Who says Kerbin is boring!?  Bah.  Let's get out there and show us what we've got!

Standard disclaimer: yeah, praise be to the rules of the forum in ascendancy...  nobody break 'em.

Kayak Club

Leaderboard
Explorer Score
Hotel26 229
swjr-swis 124
Pds314 120
purpleivan 88
Klapaucius 56
Castille7 53
TheFlyingKerman 45
Smokey the Bear 34
Sir fulgur 25
Koolkei 20
Paaaad 16
AlienWall 15
SuicidalInsanity 14
oAsAo 14
Akagi 10
Chequers 4
Chryssalid 8492 3
Retro Starship 2

Kayak Club

Landmark Discoverer Visitors
Kayak River Castille7 purpleivan Hotel26 Chryssalid 8492 AlienWall TheFlyingKerman
Great Wall purpleivan Klapaucius Hotel26      
Lost Valley Klapaucius Hotel26 SuicidalInsanity      
Valhalla Hotel26 swjr-swis Paaaad      
Lake Dumbell SuicidalInsanity purpleivan Hostel26      
Estuary purpleivan Hotel26 TheFlyingKerman      
Fake Victoria Falls Hotel26 fulgur Klapaucius      
Lake Klapaucius fulgur Klapaucius Castille7      
Lake Excalibur fulgur Hotel26 Castille7 Klapaucius TheFlyingKerman  
Grand Rapids TheFlyingKerman Klapaucius        
Heavenly Valley Hotel26          
Fire Escape Island Klapaucius AlienWall        
Swiss Cheese Seafronts AlienWall          
Kamp David Hotel26 swjr-swis Chequers purpleivan    
Kwitzerland TheFlyingKerman          
Footstep Island swjr-swis          
Lake Omaroo Hotel26 swjr-swis   Chequers    
Mt Keverest[2] Castille7 swjr-swis        
Mt True Keverest purpleivan swjr-swis Smokey the Bear      
Jeb Atoll Klapaucius swjr-swis oAsAo Hotel26    
Ben Creag ***** Hotel26 purpleivan swjr-swis      
Point Break Hotel26 swjr-swis purpleivan      
Target Island Castille7 swjr-swis Klapaucius Hotel26    
Venice Beach Hotel26 swjr-swis        
Cape Stinger swjr-swis Hotel26        
Lake Zamboni Hotel26 oAsAo        
Mhole Koolkei Pds314 purpleivan      
Summer Lake Pds314 oAsAo Hotel26      
Mt Brutality Pds314 Hotel26        
The Spine of Dres Pds314 Smokey the Bear        
Mt Pinocchio Hotel26 Pds314        
Mt Imposition Hotel26 Pds314        
Lac Eve Pds314 Hotel26        
Iceland Hotel26 Castille7        
St Andrews Hotel26 Pds314        
Gravity Lake Hotel26          
Standrews Pds314 Hotel26 purpleivan      
Lake Zero Koolkei Pds314        
Madness Meadow Pds314 purpleivan        
Ice Ridge Koolkei          
Long Drop Mountain Hotel26          
K2 Hotel26 Pds314        
Tylos Coliseum Pds314 Smokey the Bear Hotel26      
The Amphitheatre Hotel26 Pds314        
Peak 6038 Pds314          
Hill 303 Smokey the Bear Hotel26        
Ross Bay Smokey the Bear Hotel26        
Davey Jones (Left) Locker Smokey the Bear          
Null Bay Paaaad purpleivan        
Great Barrier Reef Hotel26          
The Three Sages chequers          
Airstrip Sandbar Pds314 Hotel26        
Loch Inverness Hotel26          
Safe Harbor Hotel26          
Explodium Sea Akagi swjr-swis        
Von Kerman Outlook TheFlyingKerman swjr-swis        
Ginormous Twins swjr-swis TheFlyingKerman        
Bank of Einstein-Rosen swjr-swis          
The Philadelphia Experi-Truss swjr-swis          

Note 2: controversy over name    
***** Mt Majestic Trophy holder    

Please note: the first 15 rows of Landmarks are being painstakingly reconstructed from the journal.  Your patience is appreciated.  Scores are certified correct.  This notice will be removed when work is complete.

[Updated to this point on April 22, 2022.]

Edited by Hotel26

Ooo... here's a pretty impressive location (probably my favourite on Kerbin), but as it looks like I'll be helping with the judging, this one is just for fun, so I won't get the bonus 10 points.

RlPSdUP.jpg

Flowery description of how to get here from the KSC, hmmm, let me see.

Take off from the runway (either direction), keep flying straight until you get there... can't miss it.

Edited by purpleivan

18 hours ago, purpleivan said:

his one is just for fun, so I won't get the bonus 10 points.

Nuthin' in the rules say Judges can't participate, and, under the circumstances, your Superbly Pretty location can only stimulate Kerbin Exploration!  Thus, you will enable other Adventurers to score a total of 15 points, so you will have given back to the Association!  I'll open the leaderboard....!!

(Note to self: hurry up and post own screenshots: e.g a place I tantalizingly named "Victoria Falls"; before some danged tail-gating claim-jumper does...  :) )

Be it duly noted, that Prestigious Adventurer,  Horatio Kerman, has visiteth this Landmark (Castille7), and doth Properly claim hith due Bounty, being in the Amount of 4 credits, behind that of Hith Honor PurpleIvan...  bla bla bla

Ye Proofe:

SAWb98H.png

Have an associated recce photo with coords and name, Horatio Kerman, proving not a photo-shop [kind of], to be provided to Ye Adjudicators Upon Request....

[Jest makin' up the rules as We go along: I think the flag on the MiG is Ye Genuine Stampe, yeth?]

Edited by Hotel26

@purpleivan

I'm pretty sure this is your spot. I confess I Mission Buildered myself to where I thought it was, but I since I have flown around this area a lot, I was pretty sure where I was.

VXVrTg6.png

And here is my entry:

Go the Dessert Airfield. Fly due west.  If you get to water, turn around.  I'll give two picture hints, since this one may be a bit tricky.  This photo is taken looking at 225 degrees.

NaoNirv.png

Look for peaks like this. You are just a little bit up and to the left of the caldera.

LKREfmE.png

I was pretty proud of my landing in there.

hgADitf.pngUwVh05Q.png

On 12/2/2019 at 9:52 PM, Klapaucius said:

Go the Dessert Airfield. Fly due west.  If you get to water, turn around.  I'll give two picture hints, since this one may be a bit tricky.  This photo is taken looking at 225 degrees.

Your pics It looks like they're not far from where my pic was taken (looks like you identified that location). Looks similar to the terrain that Bob drove through over a couple of days in that area anyway.

Might fire up the Juice Goose (on second thoughts, might take something faster) and head out that way to take a look.

1 hour ago, purpleivan said:

Your pics It looks like they're not far from where my pic was taken (looks like you identified that location). Looks similar to the terrain that Bob drove through over a couple of days in that area anyway.

Might fire up the Juice Goose (on second thoughts, might take something faster) and head out that way to take a look.

I actually made a whole flying racecourse through there ending by flying into and out of the caldera.  @Rocket In My Pocket was the only participant, alas.  I've pasted the old challenge below, but it will be a location spoiler if you open it.  But it was quite fun and might be a diversion for later.

Spoiler

[continue the tour]

OK, here's my Landmark entry: [click & arrows]

zpgJcZd.png

obB2Vm1.png

This is Lemdas Kerman, Mathematical Physicist and eminent B.A.S.E. jumper, just moments before he slipped and slid to his death, R.I.P.

He had gotten overly-excited by his discovery of this Landmark -- and suffered premature, unplanned ejection into the chasm.  [..words to that effect..]

He will be missed.

We truly believe this might be the absolute best B.A.S.E. location on Kerbin, but all we have to go on for the whereabouts is Lemdas' last SMS...

"This place is OUTSTANDING, Dude!

I can't believe Kerbals periodically see this from a distance as close as 70-100km but NOBODY notices it!  It's PRISTINE!  We have to keep this a SECRET, Dude!!

All I can tell you now is: abs(lon) ~= abs(lat).   Aah!  Waaaaah!  OOP....."

If you can find this well-kept secret Valhalla, you will know you are there due to the datum the instrument on your left wrist is reporting -- and because you are a B.A.S.E. jumper...  Dude!

[But don't tell anyone!!!  First Rule of Kayak Club...]

Edited by Hotel26

2 hours ago, Chryssalid 8492 said:

Found Hotel's location

That is, indeed, Castille7's original Landmark post, with purpleivan and myself having been there (Castille7 and purpleivan both posting in What Did You Do Today In KSP), so you can claim 3 points.

And... you're in the Leaderboard!

On 12/1/2019 at 11:47 AM, Hotel26 said:

Proposal for Rule Modification, 19-12-04 (directed @Castille7 and @purpleivan for ratification, but user comment welcome):

be it proposed that visitation by 1 other Explorer is sufficient to qualify points for the Landmark poster and for visitors.  A Landmark interesting enough to be visited by someone else is sufficient validation of the Landmark to allow point scoring.  Unanimous "yea" from Judges carries the proposal.

(19-12-07: having heard no objections to this proposal, it is carried and takes effect immediately.)

Yes good sir, I wholly approve of said rule modification.

On 12/5/2019 at 3:40 AM, SuicidalInsanity said:

And I'll throw in a landmark I've always been fond of:
6jRP6Od.png
Directions: Head roughly WSW from the Impact Crater.

I think this might be the location.

C6XIKNg.png

1q5e6cy.png

U6aSufU.png

I've got another, similar type of location if anyone wants to take a stab at it.

hrdhi3w.png

To find this picturesque location, take off from the KSC runway, then head South East and when you get to the South end of that huge bay, that's almost a lake, head East. When you find the watery road North, follow ig.

20 hours ago, purpleivan said:

Head roughly WSW from the Impact Crater.

Lovely location.  But I had given up on the directions!  Just needed an existence proof from purpleivan to get there!

Uhm, bit embarrassed about this and hope I don't get accused of cheating:

DZl4x42.png

Because I couldn't resist the mighty fine plane, either!  I was amazed how fast your plane goes, @purpleivan!!  It does Mach 2+ @2km on just normal aspiration: I did not know Panthers could go so fast without afterburners.

Edited by Hotel26

2 hours ago, Hotel26 said:

Because I couldn't resist the mighty fine plane, either!  I was amazed how fast your plane goes, @purpleivan!!  It does Mach 2+ @2km on just normal aspiration: I did not know Panthers could go so fast without afterburners.

Pure luck on the speed. I basically threw it together (I don't make a lot of planes) and cruised at high altitude to get here, at a much lower speed than Mach 2.

It takes quite a bit of speed to get in the air fully fueled, but landing it so easy as you can come in really slow, so good for landing on bumpy ground.

On 12/8/2019 at 10:10 PM, purpleivan said:

To find this picturesque location, take off from the KSC runway, then head South East and when you get to the South end of that huge bay, that's almost a lake, head East. When you find the watery road North, follow ig.

OK!  How about this pretty place?

3PQKS0S.png

This reminds me that I have a pseudo-Elcano Challenge attempt underway with a Pacemaker rover that is about 1/3rd of the way around Kerbin, going westward, but planning to take a very southerly dip down into this Lakes Region.

Thanks for this one, @purpleivan!

5 hours ago, Hotel26 said:

This reminds me that I have a pseudo-Elcano Challenge attempt underway with a Pacemaker rover that is about 1/3rd of the way around Kerbin, going westward, but planning to take a very southerly dip down into this Lakes Region.

Thanks for this one, @purpleivan!

That would be the place.

On my Kerbin Sorta-Circumnavigation trip, The boat headed up river from the coast to take a look at this location. Bob climbed the the nearest mountain in the rover that went along for the trip and looked wistfully at the further one. No chance that rover was going to make it to the top, but Bob can dream I suppose.

I went scouting around ENE and arrived at the second Continent and got a nice night view of some mountains. Nothing spectacular but I was able to test my Mini-F14. It's holding up well in 1.8.1 with full warp and full fuel tanks. If you decide to download the craft, I'm not sure how well takeoff will be. I used Vessel Mover to start near the end of the runway.

It looks like it could be another J.U.M.P.E.R.S. location. Night was not planed, I left in the daylight :blush:

This is not an actual Landmark for this challenge but I did find one I am calling "Mount Keverest" in the same area. You can find it here "Mount Keverest"

eXtjUmY.png  

More Views of the Area and the trip there

Spoiler

ywrf8co.png

yrecm09.png

vKwuiyA.png

RHaDo2Z.png

E9vcFa9.png

Edited by Castille7
ENE....ooops! Added Mount Keverest link

[continue the tour]

(Fake) Victoria Falls:

pFeo1nG.png

So called, because the first time I saw it was at high altitude and some optical illusion made it look like a KSP waterfall, which was an exciting phenomenon at the time, although every one now knows water is flat.  (Which bears the heavy implication also that there are no winds on Kerbin, borne out by the fact that no Kerbalese Pilots Operating Handbook mentions anything about cross-wind landings.)

I'll add a couple more shots so you can identify when you have arrived, but suffice it to say that:

1. it's a part of the longest water feature on Kerbin
  2. you can see it's at a fork in the feature
  3. there's a convenient little landing strip shown (in case anybody is thinking about opening up a tourist resort at this very picturesque rafting/submarining site.
  4. somewhere Northward of Baikerbanur (just to identify the 'water feature', a.k.a. river)

As discussed elsewhere in the topic, this location has become widely known as Fake Victoria Falls, due to an egregious error on the part of Hotel26.

In the interest of Exploration, and just for reference, the True Victoria Falls (90 klicks west of the above), looks more impressively like this:

UxcxBJi.png

Edited by Hotel26

Well, I was attempting to answer the above challenge, but I failed. I did it like this.

1. Build a mid-range craft with good manoeuvrability.

2. Open up Firefox, search for a challenge related to where I thought it was.

3. Having found some images pointing to what I thought was the longest water feature, I launched my plane.

4. I turned to a heading of about 70 degrees and flew across an ocean.

5. I crossed land and a few minutes later came to a river delta with some islands in. [F5].

6. I followed the course of the river towards some mountains.

I didn't get there but I found some very picturesque mountains. I might come back with a helicopter.

They're my entry because I couldn't walk away with nothing. They look like this:

Z80rfh3.png

The very foolhardy can land on the mountains, or alternatively those with downwards-facing engines. Val was feeling pretty foolish as she had gone to the wrong river.

yCUJqGN.png

That's my entry. It's pretty easy to find online info if you know your way around the Forums.

Edited by fulgur

@fulgur excellent directions and a most beautiful place.

If you deem the following to be the right location, and with everyone's kind approval, I'm gonna post the 5-point claim for my visitation to @Klapaucius, since this is the site of a rather famous challenge -- and I've been fully expecting him to mention such a worthy place sooner or later:

h0vALHS.png

EQTOjR2.png

c2dSIpn.png

Edited by Hotel26

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.