Kayak Club

15 minutes ago, Hotel26 said:

@fulgur excellent directions and a most beautiful place.

If you deem the following to be the right location, and with everyone's kind approval, I'm gonna post the 5-point claim for my visitation to @Klapaucius, since this is the site of a rather famous challenge -- and I've been fully expecting him to mention such a worthy place sooner or later:

Famous? Wow, did not realize I had cachet :wink:

I confess I am a bit confused by the scoring, but that is okay...I think this is quite a cool idea, and I trust the scoring is all good and worthy and befitting such a noble endeavour.

We've a guest visiting at the moment, so I have not been able to progress with this or my own challenge. Hopefully I can set some time aside to do some visiting to all of them in a few days.

Found it! At least I know where KSC2 is.
eAcPdl1.png

I think that's the right fork in the right river. As I was flying KSC->Baikerbanur it was the first tiver I passed under, and I turned north and followed it until I came to this spot.

Edited by fulgur

1 hour ago, Klapaucius said:

I confess I am a bit confused by the scoring

It's a leisurely pursuit and not really so competitive: just a bit of chukka, I think that's the term.  In this case, @fulgur posted a spot and gets 10 provisional until someone validates by actually going there.  I went there, so he gets 10 and I get 5.  The next 4 visitors get 4,3,2,1.  A bit more like F1 and less like polo, perhaps.  In the "point-scoring", as it were.

Now, in this case, I can't really claim much credit for going to this place, made so well-known by your own Good Self, so I have already posted those 5 points to your own account.  All Hail, @Klapaucius, Explorer Extraordinaire!

And well done, Sir Fulgur, old bean!

Now, chaps, on to the next chukka...  :)

Edited by Hotel26

I like being Sir Fulgur. I will endeavour to live up to my moniker, by utilising old-fashioned and aristocratic vocabulary.

Below you shall find my unique entry, the next (Chukka) Umuna [groan], a picturesque spot which has been the graveyard of many an ill-designed craft supposedly destined for the watery world of Laythe.

aFvZgbY.png

This is a lake, or perhaps merely a large gap in the ice. The Kayak I exploratory craft easily covered the distance here, via @Hotel26's spot. [The Kayak I is licensed in the name of the Kayak Club, with all models safely in the club hangar, except the three prototypes scattered across the landscape].

engYoOC.png

As the craft's fuel was sadly depleted, Val set it down lightly and entered the icy waters. Unfortunately, she could not climb the practically frictionless ice.

Directions:

Turn until your magnetic compass indicates your direction is due North. Follow the cap's jagged coastline. If the ice meets the grassland, turn Eastwards. Sir Fulgur takes no responsibility if the ice melts before you reach the spot, and humbly suggests that in that case we should relocate to Skafell Pike.

Edited by fulgur

I read what @Castille7 was talking about as he showed the picture of the mountain and water area, similar to what was shown in this image down below.  

3rspRWJ.jpg

I found it purely by accident (and got a clip of it) as I was heading off to do a contract task for some pressure readings near the south pole. It was fun to see it and think of what we are not supposed to talk about. (hehe)

Kayakimage.jpg

I think @Hotel26 named this "Victoria Falls" in another part of this thread. Cool name! To me this will be a great vacation place for Val & Bill Kerman.

Edited by Saturn5tony

On 12/16/2019 at 3:58 AM, fulgur said:

This is a lake, or perhaps merely a large gap in the ice.

Aeh32Z2.png

I was going to drop a ground-based relay station here (in my Orbit (production) world) but was possibly flying too slowly in Swallow to eject the module: it suffered a hang-up.

In any case, it's an excellent spot for ice-fishing!

And, congratulations to Sir Fulgur: your knighthood has come through...  it's official.

Edited by Hotel26

I launched off the left side of the runway on the turf. Set my course at 45 degrees flew over land and headed for the highest Mountains. Here you will find what I am calling "Dead End River" Again I left in the day and got there at night. :blush:

I remembered seeing a place like this during a challenge and I decided to get a closer look.

EY5cPt1.png

Daylight Shot of Dead End River

kVoCe8w.png

Finding "Dead End River"

Spoiler

As mentioned in the OP

(I launched off the left side of the runway on the turf. Set my course at 45 degrees)

RqBzX1h.png

Approaching the Mountains in that area

pj97I84.png

Aerial shot as approaching

IuqEmA4.png

"Dead End River"
(In the day light :D)

kVoCe8w.png

Edited by Castille7

On 12/8/2019 at 10:10 PM, purpleivan said:

I've got another, similar type of location if anyone wants to take a stab at it.

hrdhi3w.png

To find this picturesque location, take off from the KSC runway, then head South East and when you get to the South end of that huge bay, that's almost a lake, head East. When you find the watery road North, follow ig.

Can't see the picture but I guess this is the location

screenshot24.png

or this slightly further north?

screenshot23.png

On 12/26/2019 at 3:19 PM, TheFlyingKerman said:

Will let @purpleivan adjudicate your entry, but I'd say your first screenshot is Viable...  If so, you will be welcomed as an Esteemed Adventurer of the Kayak Club.

Just don't tell anyone.

Update: a little time has gone by, so in the interest of timely reponse, @TheFlyingKerman I'll judge your first screenshot as Apt and put you on the leader board.  Sterling work and four points!

Edited by Hotel26

My turn to post a location.

Prepare for a long flight to reach this impressive formation. Takeoff at KSC and set a eastern course at the Harvester Massif radio station. When you see the dish continue ahead and you would see a lake. Fly across the lake while lowering your altitude. The north west entrance of the formation is ahead. Fly through it and you see another beautiful lake.

Spoiler

NW entrance

screenshot18.png

Middle

screenshot20.png

SE exit

screenshot22.png

3 hours ago, TheFlyingKerman said:

you see another beautiful lake.

I've been waiting for this!  I can guess immediately it is a place I call Heavenly Valley and I have a settlement there.  (I was there yesterday after a rescue.)  OK, I bet I have a screen shot on file...

UPDATE: here's the shot from last night in which I think you can identify your river between the two lakes...(if you know the area; your river to the adjoining lake is on the horizon at the left end of that snowy range on the left in the distance)?  Your call!  (If you say, "not close enough", then I'll post this as my own Landmark Submission.  :)  )

YRdYxau.png

Such a beautiful place with huge lake (Tahoe) and mountains on three sides...

I could always be WRONG!  :)

Edited by Hotel26

33 minutes ago, TheFlyingKerman said:

My turn to post a location.

Prepare for a long flight to reach this impressive formation. Takeoff at KSC and set a eastern course at the Harvester Massif radio station. When you see the dish continue ahead and you would see a lake. Fly across the lake while lowering your altitude. The north west entrance of the formation is ahead. Fly through it and you see another beautiful lake.

Flying there right now. I know the location from previous exploration.  I'm taking one of my weird but slow airliners, so am listening to some classic Bee Gees whilst doing so.  Hopefully I have enough fuel to get this inefficient beast there!

Edited by Klapaucius

This was a good excuse to dust off some old planes and take them for a spin.

My gas guzzling liner...

LLGr4GW.png

did not make it. Despite taking off from the Dessert Runway, the Harvester Massif was too far for its fuel supply.  So I had to grab some other planes.

So a change of plan. First off, arctic swimming holes!  I took Qfwfq (https://kerbalx.com/Klapaucius/Qfwfq-Assymetrical-Plane), which was my entry for my own Asymmetrical Aircraft Challenge

Having EVE with clouds makes searching for landmarks a lot harder!  

Spoiler

tg8EdND.png

AF6H1ED.png

AkNnr91.png

Tt38usV.png

YMU6CL2.png

HJqbZ8o.png

Then we have Lerxst, https://kerbalx.com/Klapaucius/Lerxst

He went to the site of my old Lake Challenge.

Spoiler

jrSumI5.png

JPXHXGp.png

KKBqfHd.png

TKgOU3z.png

I did a quicksave in case I stuffed the landing (which I did). However, the Kraken struck and every time I loaded it at least one engine blew up, most of the time both, and occasionally the whole plane came apart. This was the best landing I could manage--quite far from the actual site.

68XHE99.png

The fork in the river with Pythagoras, a fast liner with a lot of range https://kerbalx.com/Klapaucius/Pythagoras:

Spoiler

BaJQXEK.png

sxI03lf.png

woN2uBR.png

AGdu5up.png

JDQGHor.png

The to the two lakes, with Shirley, a plane I made for the Kerbal Aircraft Drag Race Challenge:

Spoiler

sOkG3yv.png

XdRvjT3.png

g5lWY5p.png

Heading to what I thought was the bay that  @purpleivandescribed, I managed to find @Hotel26's site instead. Dumb luck! Flew this with Squire, my submarine plane. https://kerbalx.com/Klapaucius/Squire-Submarine-Plane

Spoiler

BM2meLd.png

udTthq0.png

XxYBwJj.png

MFLAL9T.png

EBW3Spe.png

up27wU8.png

bokEUtc.png

eJfAb91.png

Aek2yn1.png

boFvhXj.png

And finally, a new place for you all to find.  Head about 133 degrees from the KSC.

The plane is The Professor https://kerbalx.com/Klapaucius/The-Professor

0ItU8zl.png

Edited by Klapaucius

On 12/26/2019 at 8:19 AM, TheFlyingKerman said:

screenshot24.png

Yep that's the place. At first I thought it wasn't as for some reason I assumed the camera was looking towards the lake and not the sea, but once I flipped that around, realised you'd found the right location.

Well, what an exciting 24 hours at Kayak Club!  :)  And congratulations to Lord Klapaucius, for a regular tour de force!

@TheFlyingKerman's entry has been discovered, most definitively by @Klapaucius, so +10 to him and hearty congratulations!

Here are the other awards:

• +4, Klapaucius, the ice lake on the polar cap
  • +4, Victoria Falls at the fork (stay tuned for an announcement!)
  • +5, Heavenly Gorge, most precise/detailed entry (I'll overrule my own 'leapt conclusion')
  • +0, Lake Klapaucius, since +5 was already awarded here, but well done, sir, for making the trip again.

Regrettably, no award can be made (yet) for confirmation of Klapaucius' attempt upon @Castille7 's opening spot, Kayak River.  Surveyor Horatio Kerman (still camping at that spot) submitted this aerial photo for comparison.  What a controversy!!  Count Castille7 may render a final adjudication, if he cares to weigh in with a different opinion...

Here's the survey photo -- and please note the lake/source of the river in the LHS of the image:

QEElxzC.png

It's interesting that it has a very similar sandbar formation.

While I am here and updating the leaderboard, I'll add my own entry for Duke @purpleivan 's first Landmark...

AS3M6SO.png

+4, as I believe I am the second visitor -- please do correct me if I am wrong, anyone.

And now: the huge (ly embarrassing) announcement!

I 'discovered' Victoria Falls, a kind of optical illusion, long ago.  I had a very hard time finding it again.  The image I posted earlier in Kayak Club was my best recreation of the location, although I was never quite satisfied that I had been able recapture that illusion.  In flying out to that location once again, to verify Klapaucius' interesting angle on the location, I did confirm he had found the same location I had posted.  However..............

....I regret to inform members of the Kayak Club that the real location of Victoria Falls is some 90 klicks west of that posted.  (Do be assured this will not effect scores and Adventurers are welcome to visit the previously listed site for extra visitation points.)  But the location of real interest (in the name of Exploration), looks like this:

UxcxBJi.png

This angle shows the illusion of a giant waterfall exceedingly well, I think you might agree?

Leaderboard will be updated shortly after final tabulation...

Edited by Hotel26

19 hours ago, Klapaucius said:

And finally, a new place for you all to find.  Head about 133 degrees from the KSC.

I can't see any picture on imgur (I use imgbb.com). So I set course at 133 degrees and arrived as exactly the same place shown here

screenshot40.png

What's the name of this place :confused:

Meanwhile the staff of KSC chartered a flight to

On 12/16/2019 at 3:58 AM, fulgur said:

This is a lake, or perhaps merely a large gap in the ice.

screenshot41.png

screenshot42.png

Edited by TheFlyingKerman

2 minutes ago, TheFlyingKerman said:

I can't see any picture on imgur (I use imgbb.com). So I set course at 133 degrees and arrived as exactly the same place shown here

screenshot40.png

What's the name of this place :confused:

Meanwhile the staff of KSC chartered a flight to

That is not it.  Hint, if you want it:

Spoiler

You overshot a lot. It is hiding in plain sight.

38 minutes ago, TheFlyingKerman said:

What's the name of this place

That's @Castille7 's Kayak River, after which Kayak Club is named.  I think you probably get about +3 for going there and providing a selfie...  And I think you'll get another +3 for The Ice Lake.

...tabulating...  yes, H6 and purpleivan have been to Kayak River; fulgur and h6 have been to the Ice Lake: 3 each for you.

Edited by Hotel26

I found (fake) Victoria Falls a few days ago:

Spoiler

TME8WZS.jpg           UkVnR0V.jpg

And I'm pretty sure this is @Klapaucius's location:

Spoiler

EFjyovR.jpg           fIGXe9p.jpg

Rover testing there would be fun.

Here's my spot: Swiss Cheese Seafronts™

7YErJZh.jpg

Spoiler

WsE2v2v.jpg              VQHWHBc.jpg

Directions: Head roughly ESE from KSC (if you see (fake) Victoria Falls, keep going in about that direction). At one point there will be twin medium-large-sized islands, very close to the continent, with quite a few lakes in them. Head to where the eastern island borders the continent, and you should see the place. A seaplane would probably be pretty fun to use here.

7 hours ago, Klapaucius said:

Yes, you found it.

+10 for Klapaucius and +5 for @Alienwall.  And +2 for Alienwall for Kayak River (which has somehow widely become known as the fake, fake "Victoria Falls"  :) ).  +10 provisional for Swiss Cheese SeafrontsTM and thank you for the contribution as well as welcome to Kayak Club!

Edited by Hotel26

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.