Kayak Club

Kamp David in Molar Valley is nearly half way to the Pole.  [Click slide and arrow next]

4RKVU99.png   oRwofBZ.png   pV9OeXd.png

It was made famous by a long-forgotten Adventurer/story-teller who landed a dirigible here.

It is infamously difficult to land a conventional craft here and at least half as hard to climb out again.  (Most sadly, two Kerbals were lost in the making of this slideshow...  they will be missed.  :( )

[I will leave it as an exercise for an Adventurer to figure out which Pole (dead easy) and from where (ditto)!]

Edited by Hotel26

Again I took off and headed SW. After overflying @Castille7 's Kayak River again I went ahead to what I think to be

14 hours ago, Alienwall said:

Swiss Cheese Seafronts™

screenshot19.png

Then I turned NE to revisit   @purpleivan's bay,

screenshot20.png

and also @Hotel26's Heavenly Valley. 

screenshot21.png

Then I turned east and found this place just west of the coast, and landed

screenshot26.png

26 minutes ago, TheFlyingKerman said:

Again I took off

I am left speechless by your outburst, good sir.

"I think a baronetcy may be in the works", is about all that comes to mind.

More tabulation...  :(

15 minutes ago, TheFlyingKerman said:

Is this the real Victorian Fall?

Not the True Victoria Falls, no.  (More controversy...  I love Kayak Club!)

Edited by Hotel26

Baron @TheFlyingKerman, your scores are in.

+10 to @Alienwall and +5 to you for visiting his Swiss Cheese SeafrontsTM.  This was a really tough call to recognize from your different angle/altitude, but it's definitely the place, especially with your description of how you got there.  Alienwall may override me, but I expect he will concur?

+3 for @purpleivan's estuary.

+3 for @SuicidalInsanity's curiously-shaped lake.

Now, controversially, Heavenly Valley with mountains on 3 sides?  May I ask you where in your shot you believe it is located?  I have an interest of +10 points in this, but I have to be scrupulously fair, especially so.

Finally, thank you for your conjecture about a Fake3 Victoria Falls, already ruled out, but greatly appreciated.  "The more bally waterfalls, the better, I say, what ho!?"  Well done, Baron: +11 so far, with a possible 5 more upon your response to our inquiry above.

Edited by Hotel26

3 hours ago, Hotel26 said:

+3 for @purpleivan's estuary.

+3 for @SuicidalInsanity's curiously-shaped lake.

I had been those places before so I should get no point. I was just passing by.

Now, controversially, Heavenly Valley with mountains on 3 sides?  May I ask you where in your shot you believe it is located?  I have an interest of +10 points in this, but I have to be scrupulously fair, especially so.

I was flying over the SE lake (which was surrounded by mountains on 3 sides), shooting NW. The valley was the exit of the formation. The eastern side of the lake was like marshy land, nothing like a valley. Based on what you said " your river to the adjoining lake is on the horizon at the left end of that snowy range on the left in the distance ", I guess your settlement is at the lakefront on the left bank of the river estuary.  I am probably wrong.

So score should be +5 for Swiss Cheese Seafronts  and +10 provisional for the new location in the last picture, which I call Kwitzerland.

The +6 (estuary + lake) stands since you posted shots proving visitation.  Well done.

And, yep, your shot re Heavenly Valley doesn't show Lake Tahoe or the "valley".  Not Lake Tahoe.  (Funny you should comment about marshland because I have also thought of the lake you show as a kind of swamp.  Great Explorers think alike!?)

I'd say you know where it is, though!!!!  And it is definitely worth a visit, a landing and a selfie...

Thank you for Kwitzerland!  :)

Edited by Hotel26

On 1/1/2020 at 4:23 AM, Hotel26 said:

Kamp David in Molar Valley

(...)

It is infamously difficult to land a conventional craft here and at least half as hard to climb out again.

Jeb felt he was issued a challenge and marched into the hangar to ready his trusty Seaplane One (his own variation of it anyway) and see about that.

Spoiler

jjKM2qx.png

NyVsp3R.png

Vcon2b3.png

0YuqITr.png

PAunA0P.png

hRWIQ48.png

B6wA7pA.png

lvERqmG.png

Ejar5C9.png

Full album (including a second landing on a tiny snowy plateau much closer to the entry point): https://imgur.com/a/zEDUqrD

A seaplane is a conventional enough craft, yes? ^_^

Edited by swjr-swis
link

I used to be an adventurer like you, then I took an aeroplane to the sea. So, in reminiscence of days long past, I shall attempt to regale you of far away locations, so as to gain my way into the Brotherhood of Knee I mean, explorers.

In lieu of clues and a flowery description, I present my feeble attempts at poetic riddling:

One giant step for small kerbalkind,

One tiny speck in the great sea to find.

One other island lonelier may roam,

Won only by being farther from home.

One line states form, one line states place,

Two lines to warn of impending disgrace.

Prepare for your journey by looking from space,

And try not to journey the wrong of two ways.

This destination may lack massive rocky formations and elusive victorian falls, but for the lone explorer seeking absolute silence and oneness with nature there is nigh a better location. Immerse yourself in the breathing tides of the vast ocean around you, and achieve consciousness of your insignificance. Only then can you prepare for your journey to space.

Spoiler

4x0XHaz.png

A view from the highest peak atop Footstep Island's spine.

vo149Fz.png

View west

dDcezHJ.png

View south

rt3VkW6.png

View east.

uvQSkEe.png

View north

vImvZNv.png

The view from 10km up, and reason for its name.

Having been invested with exploratory knighthood, sleep evaded me tonight. Thus I embarked on a quest, a pilgrimage, to seek out the Selfie Places of the Brotherhood.

All the locations on the first scroll, attested with pictorial evidence of visitation, in the same canonical order:

Castille7's Kayak River

Spoiler

XTm4AU9.png

purpleivan's Wall

Spoiler

cuQM8l4.png

Klapaucius' Caldera Air Rally

Spoiler

fPtSVel.pngtpgIClu.png

Hotel26's Valhalla B.A.S.E.

Spoiler

qnkapEk.png

SuicidalInsanity's Dumbell Lakes

Spoiler

NV8BrjK.pngrjEWpBA.png

purpleivan's End of the Watery Road

Spoiler

gr2n7VA.pngzBXxbop.png

vULmJgW.pngcXow7B7.png

Castille7's nighttime J.U.M.P.E.R.S. location (I could definitively match only one of the screenshots, the river one. I flew around the area for a good hour without finding anything that looked even slightly similar to the other pictures. Are there any directions missing from the river to the mountains in those pictures? Perhaps it explains why no one seems to have located this one yet.)

Spoiler

ThmK29g.png

Hotel26's Fake Victoria Falls (and True Victoria Falls as well)

Spoiler

7WNmtTt.pnghYnmKr6.png

hOD22vz.png

fulgur's Klapaucius Mountain Lake

Spoiler

4lk51bG.pngDnOA6HC.png

UTDnORY.pngT6rP64x.png

hxjlfPd.pngjhaOyVf.png

41 minutes ago, swjr-swis said:

I embarked on a quest

Whoaaaaa, Good Sir Knight!

None Shall Pass!  ...not before Ye Answer These Questions, Three:

1. WHAT ...  is your name?
  2. WHAT ... is your quest?
  3. WHICH ... flies faster: the European or the African Swallow?

Sir Lancelot swjr-swis answers: Uh, that's not in the bleedin' rules, though, is it?

[Score-keeper is hurled into the chasm with a blood-curdling scream...]

Nyuk nyuk.

Seriously, Esteemed Newcomer, you have shown yourself worthy to sit at the Round Table!!  Your Tour de Force looks akin to Ye Clean Sweep the likes of which this realm has never before made mark!!

Verily, and forsooth, the Lowly Tabulators must now follow Ye Fine Example and also Pull An All-Nighter Or Two adding this lot up...  So Be It.

Edited by Hotel26

On 12/15/2019 at 8:58 PM, fulgur said:

aFvZgbY.png

This is a lake, or perhaps merely a large gap in the ice.

On 12/24/2019 at 12:35 PM, Hotel26 said:

I was going to drop a ground-based relay station here (in my Orbit (production) world) but was possibly flying too slowly in Swallow to eject the module: it suffered a hang-up.

To quote our liege: you make me sad. Considering my involvement in the redesign of the Swallow, it is upon my honour to prove the infallible workings of this (European) method of transportation. Hence, another quest was started: the Quest for the Grounded Relay. May the Lady of the Icey Lake (apparently fulgur's Val) grant us favour this day.

Spoiler

W5RpijQ.png

VkL9Vtd.png

XKPTA8r.png

Behold! Successful deployment!

JuRwnAG.png

o9UJpfn.png

JPUKBJd.png

Alas, the icey pond is bereft of strange women distributing double-edged tokens of royal investiture.

3 minutes ago, swjr-swis said:

Behold! Successful deployment!

Yes, I too, inquired into this mystery.  Found responsible was a Magic Spell cast by Agents of the Simian Empire, upgrading Our World from Ye Olde 1.6 epoch to the 1.7 era.

A Royal Engineering Change Order was issued and the Captain of the Guard has reported, All Is Well.

Thanks be to ye also for your kind attention in this matter.

On 12/30/2019 at 9:49 AM, TheFlyingKerman said:

Fly across the lake while lowering your altitude. The north west entrance of the formation is ahead. Fly through it and you see another beautiful lake.

Sending my G.A.S. candidate design, the Gojira3, to this location:

Spoiler

uVfdtp6.png

BvZiWX7.png

Well, I had been preparing a new Landmark when all this activity burst on the scene.  So here it is:

Fv0fSbh.png

A high alpine pass overlooking a large lake the size shape of Australia...  This shall be the landmark to take a shot of.  The whole place, which I call Newfoundland, is well worth visiting.

Spoiler

This is Gander International Airport (serving only as a clue):

dA6YL4m.png

A view of the coastline as my Kite aerial rover departs the airport to head to the Landmark:

KYzo8OO.png

The alpine pass:

2tXxBun.png

Approaching the lake:

wGiuyo7.png

Any Kerbal Adventurer worth his/her salt already knows where this is!

UPDATE: Chequers has kindly suggested the name, "Lake Omaroo", for this.

Edited by Hotel26

On 1/1/2020 at 9:03 AM, TheFlyingKerman said:

Then I turned east and found this place just west of the coast, and landed

screenshot26.png

On 1/1/2020 at 3:46 PM, TheFlyingKerman said:

and +10 provisional for the new location in the last picture, which I call Kwitzerland.

Uhm guys, this looks very much like looking east from the western-most shore of @SuicidalInsanity's Dumbell Lakes (my name), which would make it not a new location:

Spoiler

NV8BrjK.png

rjEWpBA.png

Fv0fSbh.png

A high alpine pass overlooking a large lake the size shape of Australia...  This shall be the landmark to take a shot of.

Time for ConnaitAir: dumping a fresh batch of incorrigibles at Mach 4 on your penal colony.

Spoiler

cE0gwqm.png

Ps1dVVD.png

UbpQxU8.png

viFsmwB.png

HBWdO4F.png

Incidentally, my own name for this island is James Brown.

I wasn't able to positively identify Fire Escape Island earlier because the terrain looked a bit different with my (minimalistic) terrain settings.  However, this is my entry:

uGxjlMg.png  5PNK9tM.png

Edited by Hotel26

On 1/1/2020 at 4:15 PM, TheFlyingKerman said:

Is this the real Victorian Fall?

Would you like to name and posit this fine shot of yours as a Landmark entry, sir?  As well perhaps as provide further instructions, if so desired?

Cancel request:  you've called it Kwizterland, as I now understand.

Edited by Hotel26

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.