Kayak Club

3 hours ago, Poodmund said:

I think KSP gives the altitude from the position of the top parent game object of the root part so the best, most consistent way to get altitude readings of places is to EVA a Kerbal and read off the altitude where they are standing on the surface.

I know the values going to change according to the position of the game object relative to the ground... even have an example of that happening up on Keverest.

Bob and Val took a ride up to the top of the world during the Kerbin Sorta-Circumnavigation.

6768 metres that time.

qcfG6Oq.jpg

Actually taken a rover up there three times now. Took one up to find a good route for the timed run.

Q3M63sG.png

12 minutes ago, purpleivan said:

I know the values going to change according to the position of the game object relative to the ground... even have an example of that happening up on Keverest.

Bob and Val took a ride up to the top of the world during the Kerbin Sorta-Circumnavigation.

6768 metres that time.

qcfG6Oq.jpg

Actually taken a rover up there three times now. Took one up to find a good route for the timed run.

Q3M63sG.png

Those values will also change if you are running environmental mods.  We discovered this in the Mountain Lake Landing Challenge 2. The lake dept varied depending n whether the player was in stock or using STE.

I knew that Sir @fulgur Lake Excaliber had been seen during the Kerbin Sorta-Circumnavigation, although I was sure I'd seen it at the South ice cap, until I ready the directions.

Just visible here top right in one of the images from Leg 57.

dXv0D9x.jpg

But this morning (well evening for me) Val and Bob took the Flyak (*not officially licensed from the Kayak Club, but instead a cheap knockoff with crummy welds and flimsy stickers that peel off in a week) up to the frozen North.

Afterburners away.

Spoiler

kPeHkoI.png

Bob looks happy to be in the air again.

Rsa9jvv.png

Carving through the clouds

Spoiler

vRnurov.png

Icecap in sight.

LsXsyT1.png

Yep... think that's it.

6YhxyZ9.png

Setting down on the ice.

Spoiler

Hrg9wSu.png

Wheel stop.

1vxmPJu.png

If we sneak up on it slowly, it won't hear us.

Spoiler

mWjmbfN.png

Bob takes the view that if it's this cold here, they must be at high altitude, so keeps his helmet on... it's science!

Row0GqQ.png

Lakeside views.

Spoiler

xngFD3u.png

Edited by purpleivan

So here's a Weekend Exploration Challenge: find the mountainous riverside shown in Cupcake's latest video, at 2:32, post it a screenshot here at Kayak club as a Landmark[*] with your directions for how to get there -- and receive ten points if you get a successful visitor!

Terms and conditions: as long as it is not already a Registered Landmark.  It might even be Kayak River, for all I know!!

3 hours ago, Hotel26 said:

So here's a Weekend Exploration Challenge: find the mountainous riverside shown in Cupcake's latest video, at 2:32, post it a screenshot here at Kayak club as a Landmark[*] with your directions for how to get there -- and receive ten points if you get a successful visitor!

Terms and conditions: as long as it is not already a Registered Landmark.  It might even be Kayak River, for all I know!!

Aren't we back in the "Land of Contention"?

This looks like the area.

9QtPr9q.png

Time to needlessly burn some fuel.

XNamZnQ.png

Head for the top of that peak.

LPpFosS.png

Afterburners are fun.

ia3P66T.png

Yep... that looks like the right kind of puddles down there.

g9yOozA.png

Better go round for another look.

3QtlHzf.png

Yep, still looks like the spot in Cupcake's video (even if his FOV is narrower)... well if Jeb and Bill were on the other side of this peak anyway.

Tried to get a similar shot to Cupcake's, but Jeb didn't want to smash his new toy.

8pkSU3q.jpgi5Cc2rJ.png

Edited by purpleivan

8 hours ago, Hotel26 said:

It's not Kayak River, it's the River Formerly Known as Castille7's Dead End That Turned Out to be Too Near to Klapaucius' Mountain Lake, but approached and viewed from the northern edge of the canyon. In other words: go to The Lake Currently Named for Klapaucius, then fly out/along the canyon that ends in it. Where the canyon transforms into a river, its northern (left-hand side) wall ends in a pretty high peak with a plateau on top, and some ridges that descend steeply towards the river. Looking towards the river from that peak you will see the ridges from cupcake's video down below, and the same river rapids in the background.

Spoiler

W2xOi0d.png

Yes, that's a Swallow Observation Post payload floating towards a soft landing on this strategic location.

7udZRWl.png

Bob decided to run out to the edge to get a clearer view of the landmark.

Which, incidentally, I already screenshot back when I did my second visit to the lake to claim visitation rights of that tiny canyon-trapped lake. Remember this one?

Spoiler

jhaOyVf.png

First stop I made before plunging into Klapaucius' Lake (to the right of this position).

So, since I had a screenshot from before @cupcake's video, and @purpleivan just posted visitation screenshots too... doth I retroactively get my 10 points for this unwitting landmark and prematurely started Weekend Exploration Challenge? Naturally, @cupcake should then be accorded 5 points for first visitation, and @purpleivan 4 points for second. I am nothing if not generous. :D

Just to keep the contention going a little longer, and if this landmark is (against all odds) assigned to me, I'd like to rename it back to Dead End River, to redeem an explorer of this here club we shall not discuss (the club, not the explorer) whose previous naming of this landmark was rendered invalid (the explorer, not the club) (what club?).

Yes, I'm having way too much fun at this. ^_^

On 12/1/2019 at 11:47 AM, Hotel26 said:

Kwitzerland TheFlyingKerman

I just realized why I wasn't being assigned any points for visiting this: I was looking at the wrong screenshot (last picture in this post), when it should've been this one:

Spoiler

screenshot34.png

So here's my visitation proof for what I now understand to be the actual landmark referred to as Kwitzerland:

Spoiler

uAk2NX9.png

swjr-swis, cinque pointes. Oui?

7 hours ago, purpleivan said:

Aren't we back in the "Land of Contention"?

Well done, purpleivan, swjr-swis!  (And once more we see the formidable Flyak and Swallow in stupendous operation!  Excellent work.)

At least I had the foresight to apply some T&Cs!  And I do proceed to quoth myself:

10 hours ago, Hotel26 said:

Well, that view is amazing and, bin there or not, I think I have to fire up my own Swallow and go there, full afterburner and re-viddy the situation.  And plant another coconut on that same mountain.

@TheFlyingKerman gets 10 points now for Kwitzerland and Earl @swjr-swis gets 5 for determining its secret location.

Edited by Hotel26

Hear ye!  Hear ye!  The Royal Court of Contention is now in session.  To consider the matter of the unilateral and autocratic naming of the Landmark contentiously named 'Lake Klapaucius'.

Applying the rules, 1 through 10, especially 1 and 10, the initial Kayak Club discoverer (poster, anyway) of the location hereunto known as Lake Klapaucius -- that personage being one Sir @fulgur, according to Ye Big Book of Official Record -- gets to choose its name.  Therefore, I say unto Sir fulgur, consider the matter carefully, Good Knight, and choose wisely, for this Revered Place (and bellowing after-charged engines) will forever be called whatever Ye Doth Rule.

@Castille7 and @purpleivan may rule me Out Of Order on this if this does not seem fair.

I can only submit to the Court in my own defense that, in earlier times, naming rights were not highly valued, it appears, and Landmarks were hastily submitted amid excitement without Ye Veritable Moniker.  (Additionally, I do wonder if it is not true that all rivers have 1 or more dead end(s), being their springs and then terminate either in a sight-seeing Lake or a sight-seeing Ocean, that end being the not-so-dead end?  However, a name is a name and the Landmark is yet the same.  No objection.)

Edited by Hotel26

I go too.  You can see Ludsel and myself center shot.

PeNuVZS.png

Spoiler

Left: Cupcake Station deployed askew atop Mt Cupcake.  Ludsel is going to rue this assignment.  Right: I sheared off the V-tail somehow on departure...

Id9JRpI.png   WMr3M6A.png

and discovered that, without the V-tail, Swallow flies without the 'wallow'.  Maybe wiring the authority way down would achieve same, or even to zero, keeping the tail only for cosmetic reasons.  Interesting.

Edited by Hotel26

On 1/15/2020 at 6:07 AM, purpleivan said:

I knew that Sir @fulgur Lake Excaliber had been seen during the Kerbin Sorta-Circumnavigation, although I was sure I'd seen it at the South ice cap, until I ready the directions.

6YhxyZ9.png

I think we need to give a shout out to @Triop. This lake was the focus of a pretty cool challenge he created:

Now that we all have gone there, how many are up to diving in and rebooting this challenge?

Edited by Klapaucius

8 hours ago, swjr-swis said:

I just realized why I wasn't being assigned any points for visiting this: I was looking at the wrong screenshot (last picture in this post), when it should've been this one:

Hide contents

screenshot34.png

So here's my visitation proof for what I now understand to be the actual landmark referred to as Kwitzerland:

Hide contents

uAk2NX9.png

swjr-swis, cinque pointes. Oui?

Just realised that I'd been to that spot in the Kerbin Sorta-Circumnavigation (leg 24).

Tf0OOIk.jpg

Even parked the boat on the sandbank that blocks the tributory coming from the mountains.

EiKKY5T.jpg

28 minutes ago, Klapaucius said:

Now that we all have gone there, how many are up to diving in and rebooting this challenge?

I'm in.  I've read Triop's original post and need read no further therein.  We, at Kayak Club, are nothing if not Original Thinkers!  Fair warning, I'll be using the little-known Tardis Effect...

2 minutes ago, purpleivan said:

I'd been to that spot

I reckon that's 4 points...  official the moment it's posted here.

Edited by Hotel26

I actually think that may be another lake, it looks a little bit smaller. This calls for a flight! In my new 100m/s prop lead zeppelin thingy! I'll get back to you in a few months...

- - - - -

7 hours ago, Hotel26 said:

Hear ye!  Hear ye!  The Royal Court of Contention is now in session.  To consider the matter of the unilateral and autocratic naming of the Landmark contentiously named 'Lake Klapaucius'.

Applying the rules, 1 through 10, especially 1 and 10, the initial Kayak Club discoverer (poster, anyway) of the location hereunto known as Lake Klapaucius -- that personage being one Sir @fulgur, according to Ye Big Book of Official Record -- gets to choose its name.  Therefore, I say unto Sir fulgur, consider the matter carefully, Good Knight, and choose wisely, for this Revered Place (and bellowing after-charged engines) will forever be called whatever Ye Doth Rule.

Since this is my opportunity to annoy everyone in the future, I first thought about naming it:
Lake Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis

Lake Mons Lacusque Altus

Lake καταδυση?

Having decided not to annoy people with those names, I progressed to:

Lake Tanggula (source of the Yangtze)

Lake Gangotri (source of the Ganges)

Having kerbalised my chosen name:

Lake Gangokri

I eventually decided on the latter, because I like the name more. Also, it fulfils my aim of annoying people as the river is named the K'Yangtze yet the source is the Lake Gangokri.

Edited by fulgur

2 minutes ago, fulgur said:

I eventually decided on the latter, because I like the name more. Also, it fulfils my aim of annoying people as the river is named the K'Yangtze yet the source is the Lake Gangokri.

Point of Order, Good Sir Knight: in your original Landmark post in which you took many screenshots, none of the lake and several of the river (and surrounding mountains), and one of those over the lake (but lake not in view), your posted Landmark was, according to your intention, Of What?  Rivers, Mountains, Lakes?  Let us go back and examine the record.  You do say the river is named K'Yangtze...?  How do you characterize your Landmark in the region shown in your post?

In a challenge that I posted at the top of page 2, several years ago, it was named the K'Yangtze. My landmark was the lake and surrounding mountains. Therefore, when I named it, I thought first of the source of the Yangtze and having decided that I didn't like that name, I named it the Gangokri.

I didn't post the lake itself because that would have made it too easy. Unless you live under a rock, or on a rock in the far reaches of the Kerbol system, you would know where it was instantly.

Edited by fulgur

Alas, I have been usurped from head of the explorers table!  I shall have to mount another grand tour. In the meantime, I am making it harder on you all!  Find this one: 

Head about 135 degrees from the KSC and fly about 2,000ish km.  NOTE: I found the place, then went back and flew directory from the KSC (after targeting another aircraft I had there. For some reason, my target was at exactly 135, but as I approached it seemed to drift. I'm not sure what is going on, but at around 1000 km, gradually turn until you are about 120. Dunno why, it just seems to happen).

5KGfSum.png

Bonus explorer points for landing and taking soil samples. And, enjoy the lovely water while you are there. Jeb had a great swim.

0xlwUyV.png

6MKoxhS.png

1 hour ago, Klapaucius said:

Dunno why, it just seems to happen

When you fly a fixed heading, you are flying a "rhumb line" and it curves due to the spherical nature of your surface.   A direct A-to-B route is known as a "great circle" and your compass heading, flying it, will change precisely as you describe.

And what, pray tell, do thee dub this magnificent reef/sanbdar/atoll/and/or/promontory, Learned Squire?

On 1/12/2020 at 11:24 PM, purpleivan said:

Keverest.

6768 metres that time.

Q3M63sG.png

Visited Mt. Kerverest peak and planted a flag. I think that means it's officially mine now. (^_^ "I claim Mt. Kerverest as landmark!" :mad: "You can't claim this. I got here first! At the top of this page!" -_-"Do you have a flag?")

Spoiler

Pr9XuNf.png

Call me Ishmael. Actually it's Jebediah. Jebediah "The Peak" Kerman. Just... just Jeb, really. Or 'hey you there!'. Where *is* everyone?

ERQonN3.png

Had to climb a bit from where the plane was parked, following the slope and the altimeter.

UePESBF.png

Next stop: Minmus! Doesn't look all that far from up here, does it? Man I got a hankering for ice cream all of a sudden. Mmm mint. I wonder where my scoop went...

I'll settle for first visitation rights. I'm flexible.

2 hours ago, Klapaucius said:

Head about 135 degrees from the KSC and fly about 2,000ish km.

Distance as shown by F3? Leaves me dabsmack in the middle of a very green continent, no sand or water to be seen.

2 hours ago, Klapaucius said:

my target was at exactly 135, but as I approached it seemed to drift. I'm not sure what is going on, but at around 1000 km, gradually turn until you are about 120.

At 1000km, I was flying right over some whitepeaked mountains. After the turn and another 1000km, some more mountains.

If you're measuring through something other than F3, distances (and search area) could vary a lot.

I'll try again when I get back. Val wants to go scuba diving!

2 hours ago, swjr-swis said:

Man I got a hankering for ice cream all of a sudden

Did you mean "ice cream cake"?  Or "death!"  :)  Thanks for the Eddie Izzard reference: I just binged a few of his videos.

2 hours ago, swjr-swis said:

I'll settle for first visitation rights. I'm flexible.

Ahem, once again, I'm being a stickler.  Bein' as, and whereas, the landmark currently known as "True Mt Keverest" is already listed in the Register (opening post, page 1) with @purpleivan's waxen seal impressed thereon, I'm inclined to opine that you've done him a favour.  +10 for him and +5 for you, I'd say.  Meanwhile, the Keverest controversy [note 2] is still on the Supreme Court schedule.

Edited by Hotel26

4 hours ago, Hotel26 said:

Ahem, once again, I'm being a stickler.  Bein' as, and whereas, the landmark currently known as "True Mt Keverest" is already listed in the Register (opening post, page 1) with @purpleivan's waxen seal impressed thereon, I'm inclined to opine that you've done him a favour.  +10 for him and +5 for you, I'd say.

Well, I did say visitation, not discovery. So we're saying the same thing. The age of imperialism has come to an end, after all.

("What's that behind your back?" "It's Mt. Kerverest and a number of other landmarks." "Give it back." "Oh alright. But we need the Island Airport. For strategic... sheep purposes." ).

Good morning, Everyone.  I am announcing the Paramount "Mount Majestic" Trophy.  But first, a Landmark which I hereby a) claim and b) dub "Ben Creag".

Fly a jiff from Crater Rim Station on heading 150.  Ben Creag is 5km tall and it impressed me a few weeks ago when I first came across it because 1) it's one of those mountains that appears simply as an impressive triangle on the horizon when you approach, and b) it stands relatively isolated.  [Click & arrow to view]

4SfE6Ej.png   36wDAQu.png

The Highly Prestigious & Prized "Mount Majestic" Trophy carries no points; neither is it "owned".  It is held by the Valiant Explorer who has identified the mountain on Kerbin that impresses the most as a replica of the Paramount Studios "Mt Majestic" logo.  The holder of the Trophy is its care-taker until it must be surrendered when a better candidate is found.  The Current Holder will be marked in the Leaderboard.

th?id=OIP.qPwFHU34UrZfYhmfCT_kNQHaFq%26pid=Api&f=1

Since "better" is in the eye of the Beholder, this will inevitably be a subjective process, potentially stirring up Maelstroms of Controversy!  Hooray.  Therefore, each candidate proposal will be subjected to rigorous scrutiny:

a) mark your Landmark as a "Mt Majestic contender"
b) to qualify for judging, post must receive N-1 likes where N is as many as received by the current holder of the title
3) Supreme Judges vote Yea or Nay.  [We have two Judges, so Lowly Tabulator casts a Tie-Breaker, when called upon.]

Oh yeah, and I'm awarding it to myself initially for Ben Creag...  you'd already connected those dots, of course.

Edited by Hotel26

The Woods Hole Deep Dive team has assembled at the side of Lake Excalibur.

oxgi3EP.png

The white-out is intense.  From left-to-right, Dr Katdred Kerman, Kommander Hotel26 Kerman, Dr Trifurt Kerman.  The equipment is a Stingray submarine (left) and a Swallow TE (right).

(We now break for lunch.)

Spoiler

Swallow takes off; fires the capsule over the midpoint of the lake; it lands under chutes, which are repacked; ballast tank is flooded with sea-water and chutes are popped around 700m to slow the descent; touch-down at a depth of 1166m; comms antennae are deployed.

68FGZWq.png  dVrGpsJ.png  HN2prik.png

7a6BSOQ.png  zUan5iw.png  0u6vQVH.png

Spoiler

Stingray dives into the lake nose-first, under chutes; H6 braves the risks of instant death falling into icy water in order to repack the chutes (and secretly hoping to meet the Lady of the Lake); ballast tanks flooded with sea-water, Stingray dives through the crystal-clear but totally deadly waters toward the bottom; lands & taxis; to dock with the new Excalibur ocean research & comms station.

gNdfqrm.png  GEO61ZB.png  Df6tWGh.png

x7nGiWA.png  7TFgACD.png

All in a day's work for the Woods Hole team.

Edited by Hotel26

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.