Kayak Club

7 hours ago, oAsAo said:

"Jeb Atoll"

Unless that's an extremely tweakscale-enlarged craft, that's way too tiny to be Jeb Atol.

Please ignore my initial reaction; you did in fact find the place, as far as I can judge (Klapaucius would render the final verdict).

For some reason I can't explain now, and even after looking at it for a bit, that screenshot looked like it was taken just a few meters off the surface, like the plane was hovering right over it.

It is quite obviously not, and the imgur album clearly shows I was wrong (not sure why I didn't immediately look at it).

Edited by swjr-swis
correction

All right; while we are speaking of Jeb Atoll:

0FCB9Lg.png

Or perhaps more recognizable like this:

rDRS7UM.png

12 minutes ago, swjr-swis said:

Unless that's an extremely tweakscale-enlarged craft, that's way too tiny to be Jeb Atol.

A matter of perspective?  Close-up of the airplane with the atoll quite distant.  In any case, @Klapaucius will have to definitively decide the matter and it can be done, if necessary, through the private communication [PM] of coordinates.

Edited by Hotel26

On 2/26/2020 at 4:43 AM, purpleivan said:

If you're just wanting to make a plane that can take off and land in the water, it's possible to do that stock.

possible? of course....... i just could not build one.

i made like 5 _failed_ prototypes already

4 hours ago, Koolkei said:

possible? of course....... i just could not build one.

i made like 5 _failed_ prototypes already

The Pelican was my 2nd attempt, the first The Duck, was an abysmal failure.

As I remember the biggest problem I had was making something that would lift off the water, instead of just buzzing around as a very fast jet powered boat.

The 5 failed prototypes sounds like my first attempts at boats... one after another they'd roll upside down, chug along at pathetic speed etc. But what I learned meant I ended up with the boat (with rover on the back) the fuel was delivered to that I took around the entire mainland coast of Kerbin. So don't give up... maybe number 6 will be more successful.

Alternatively take a look at KerbalX for something ready made that works, then build from there.

wellllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll you still made boats..........

i made accidental submarines

well i kinda sorta managed to make one.
and i am now here.
P0CJiQY.png

what place is this?
0mv8tiz.png

managed to land (after 5 attempts) and took a selfie
0Egotye.png

Edited by Koolkei

20 hours ago, Hotel26 said:

All right; while we are speaking of Jeb Atoll:

0FCB9Lg.png

Or perhaps more recognizable like this:

rDRS7UM.png

A matter of perspective?  Close-up of the airplane with the atoll quite distant.  In any case, @Klapaucius will have to definitively decide the matter and it can be done, if necessary, through the private communication [PM] of coordinates.

That is definitely the island. The new texturing has cut some chunks out of it, but it is the place.

I would like to name the aforementioned island Kuttyhunk. I spent a lot of summer weekends here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuttyhunk_Island

On 2/26/2020 at 1:14 PM, oAsAo said:

"Jeb Atoll"

@Klapaucius Well, this is the one, ^,  that was in contention.  Check out also the album, which makes it even clearer.

My terrain settings (and in 1.7.3) are a separate issue.  My mileage varies a lot, apparently.  But there's not much doubt that @oAsAo nailed it (and has been awarded the points).  All good and thank you for your input.

1 minute ago, Hotel26 said:

@Klapaucius Well, this is the one, ^,  that was in contention.  Check out also the album, which makes it even clearer.

My terrain settings (and in 1.7.3) are a separate issue.  My mileage varies a lot, apparently.  But there's not much doubt that @oAsAo nailed it (and has been awarded the points).  All good and thank you for your input.

Album? Contention? Sorry, confused here :confused:

NOTICE To All Prestigious Kerbin Explorers

Be it known on this date that Pds314 has intentionally or otherwise thrown down the gauntlet and/or issued a challenge to the Members of This Here Notorious Exploration Club.

To wit, please consult the citation below and make Very Particular Note of Ye Treasure Map hidden within, that appears to denote the locations of Fourteen (14) mountains on Kerbin exceeding 6,000m in height:

It is of course with no doubt nor any fear of contradiction that we can claim discovery of the TALLEST of those Fourteen (the True Keverest) -- which leaves us the Small Matter of the other Thirteen (13).

I personally will be Pulling Out All Stops to bag myself a mountain or two (and name them!), so, for other Explorers looking for a new Adventure: "here t'is", I say!  Let's get busy, chaps!

Just remember the Golden Rules, I and X: "Mum's the word lest some other blighters bag our rightful claim!"

And just in clarification, our own rules apply.  We don't have to scale these mountains personally, nor employ rickshaws to ascend the heights (hot & sweaty business, that) -- airplanes and cameras are all the Modern Day Explorer requires...

Gad.  That didn't take long.  "Pds314 likes this"

Gentlemen.  We have a leak in our organization.

Edited by Hotel26

I have discovered a lake. It is of roughly 6 kilometers in greatest measure. It is.. easily missed from space, but is remarkable for its isolation from other bodies of water, and its proximity to three impressive mountain peaks of greater altitude than six kilometers. It has steeply-inclined shores. Of great severity are the rocky outcroppings on the eastern and especially southwestern shores
0AkTIrW.jpg

Shall no explorer have named it, I propose it be called "Summer Lake," named after a pilot I probably use more than Val or Jeb and have ported between multiple savegames.

Summer lake:
6K1Ir7L.jpg

Edited by Pds314

6143 meters high, Val ponders as to what this mountain is called.

(One paramotor was crashed in the making of this photo, Val is not gonna be so happy when she realizes she needs to walk down)
s97TNnR.jpg

Edited by Pds314

32 minutes ago, Pds314 said:

I have discovered a lake

Then a Mighty Explorer are Thee -- and Welcome to Kayak Club, Good Sir!

Summer Lake it is and an Entry will be made in The Great Book.  Therefore it will forever be remembered as Pds314's Summer Lake.

You will receive Credits into your account as soon as some Brave Adventurer ventures there.  Your clues are a Challenge, Indeed, but I am sure Many Happy Campers from This Squadron will flock/frolic there soon enough...

"Keep your compass boxed and your powder dry".  Good Hunting and Welcome.

12 minutes ago, Pds314 said:

6143 meters high, Val ponders as to what this mountain is called.

Oh gee, and what's that I see, in the background?  (Monocle to good eye.)  My, it does look like Summer Lake, doesn't it!

This could be what we term, here at Kayak Club, a "twofer".  Yummy.

Summer Mountain?  Mt Summer?  Summer Lake Mountain...?   Hmmm mmmm.  "Finders, namers."

Veritably, a Clue to one of The Famous Thirteen!!

Edited by Hotel26

This ridge is at greatest altitude of over six thousand meters. She is relatively isolated, surrounded on all sides with grassy plains for many kilometers, standing out convincingly with her darkened yet fertile soil and distinctive lack of glacial ice. Had she not been of Kerbin I should have been so-inclined as to declare her soil as a species of regolith. I shall call this ridge herself The Spine of Dres. None of her peaks, perhaps as they lack isolation from one another, have, to my knowledge, been entitled with their own names.
il4qne8.jpg
FOUwaSA.jpg

Edited by Pds314

On 2/27/2020 at 3:32 PM, Koolkei said:

and i am now here

Nice shot!  Lovely place!

Rule 4: "Give some clues about how to get there".  And not exactly stated, but "Finders, Namers", which mean you get to name the place!  Yay.

"What place is this?"

What would you like to call it?!

22 minutes ago, Pds314 said:

I shall call this ridge herself The Spine of Dres.

Good job!  Now you have a clue in the height of this place that could be connected to the Treasure Map, however, please give us a clue how to get to this particular site (and not the coordinates themselves (see Rule III)).  If you like, take a look at the links in the Discoverer column of the Landmarks table in the Original Post to see how some Explorers have couched their clues.  They can sometimes be quite an entertaining (or annoying) puzzle that stimulates the "thrill of the chase"!

(I'll be updating the Leaderboard/Landmarks table first thing tomorrow morning.)

Referring to the Pds314 Treasure Map and the two locations in grid location -3,-1:

Mt Snowtip Pinocchio (6,039m):
KjGIolu.png

DqfIByM.png

MxSx5rK.png

and this is Mt Imposition:

vfEUmNt.png

yDTDH4W.png

Just before swinging around on course for the summit, I got lucky and saw this on a neighboring peak:

sUqq9U5.png

Edited by Hotel26

2 hours ago, Hotel26 said:

Referring to the Pds314 Treasure Map and the two locations in grid location -3,-1:

Mt Snowtip:
KjGIolu.png

DqfIByM.png

MxSx5rK.png

and this is Mt Imposition:

vfEUmNt.png

yDTDH4W.png

Just before swinging around on course for the summit, I got lucky and saw this on a neighboring peak:

sUqq9U5.png

I've made attempts to climb both Snowtip and Imposition before. Snowtip is incredibly difficult and Imposition is incredibly easy. To the point I think you could use it as a runway for airliners. Both are over 6k.

An old picture of snowtip.

92ke1QS.png

And imposition.

slgILOx.png

Btw, if you're trying to avoid giving coordinates, orbital elements are definitely possible to get partial coords from. Fortunately there's no arg of periapsis here so no longitude, but it still makes it easy to find.

u9vvPbk.jpg

Edited by Pds314

Summer has been dispatched to the scene of an anomaly found on an old map of Kerbin, though it should be duly proclaimed that the anomaly in question is not visible on the treasure map.

She has surveyed the anomaly under present consideration from the air and described it as a crater lake. The crater was itself surveyed at two thousand, six hundred meters in measure, whilst the lake was surveyed at six hundred and eighty meters in proportion across the same dimension. The crater walls measure 350 meters in height, and ascend to the level of the surrounding terrain. She has decided to deem the lake as the Lac Eve.

There is in addition to the lake, a small pond to the north and slightly to the west, which is separated by a sandbar 3 meters in height and 35 meters in thickness. Summer has estimated the pond at 18 meters by 11 meters, though aerial survey techniques could not be applied. She deems the pond Lac Gilly.

Summer has provided what is in no doubt sufficient information to find the lake in a photograph taken from almost precisely 10 kilometers in altitude, with a mountain on the horizon. She has remarked that the heavens looked precisely as cold as over the greatest of treasures, growing frigid and then lukewarm in twenty minutes from perfect antithesis.

wmG1Txf.jpg

Even from nearby, Lac Eve is near perfect in its disguise, only visible as a most perplexing hole in the terrain.
0HhJJdd.jpg

Kerbol's warmth does not prevent the shores of Lac Eve from being a chilling five degrees of Celsius below freezing even during the heat of the day, suggesting perhaps that the lake is in fact slightly saline or fed by the incandescent warmth of hot springs deep within Kerbin.
XPjjSjO.jpg

The inclined shores of Lac Eve make it most difficult to land at, but it is not hard to overfly.
FcSHW7w.jpg

Edited by Pds314

@Koolkei I decided to fly directly to the KeiNile from Lac Eve. I do Agree with Hotel26 that this is probably too well known of a river to qualify as a discovery.

Swamps:
CFIB5Vm.jpg

Cliffs:
uLSU5A5.jpg

Start:
UsYk1vX.jpg

Start, same mountains and same lakes visible in the distance:
AzGlO8Y.jpg

Edited by Pds314

I must say: I am inspired by the work ethic of new member, @Pds314  Bravo, sir!

Well, I was hoping to find Summer Lake!

Vjr5LE8.png

But, not one lake, but two.  Clearly not the place under scrutiny.  Lake Double Disappointment, then.  :) (No, I'm not land-marking this one...)

Ahem.  As much as I am inclined to get all pompous and such and spout Article IV ("Give some clues about how to get there, couched in terms of (e.g.) an initial heading from KSC, followed by flowery description of landmarks along the way."), I note that oAsAo worked it out and arrived at the place.  Harumph.  I will keep exploring!

I claim Iceland for the Regent:  Flowery prose follows...  "Smallest Arktik (or Antarktik!!!!) island on Kerbin...??"  (The Royal Fact-Checkers may contradict me, but close enough...)

It's actually a nice place, for a chess tournament.  Possibly not enough bowling alleys for recreation...

Aczr7r3.png   cCFzbbl.png

St Andrews is "the largest island in the largest lake on Kerbin".  (Concise enough?)  It's about big enough for an 18-hole course and a 5-star hotel and conference center.

TxebuUD.png

In five years playing KSP, I had never been within line-of-sight of this lake.  "Exploration is great, mate!"

This is Gravity Lake and you may have seen the documentary in which Sandra Kerman took a dip here.  True story!

Some kind of craft about six months ago re-entering for an unplanned/uncontrolled landing, no chutes.  Mission Kontrol (late at night) became fascinated with whether the hapless craft would under/over-shoot the lake.

Z9qjO9V.png   81pfuyE.png

Nobody bet on splash-down, but that's what happened: true dead center of the lake.  Everyone was amazed.  No survivor, though, because this is real-life and no chutes, duh.  Meanwhile the KSP "reset vessel budget back to minimum and wipe out all debris on next boot" bug took over and wiped out any evidence of the scene that Forensics could return to.  No one could find the lake again until some bright spark commissioned Kayak Club to find it.  Yup.

Now for the flowery prose.  "It's a big enough lake with steep sides, pretty close to circular, with no other lakes nearby.  Naturally it's close to the equator and it's after KSC and before Netherania, KSC's opposite marker."

I can add to this that, if you're an Explorer like me, you will never go on Expedition without a mini-sub.  I can say, thereby, that Gravity Lake is about 130m deep and this is how you will know you will have visited the True Landmark!

Since Mt Snowtip hasn't gone into the Leaderboard yet, I think I am going to a) rename it to Mt Pinocchio and b) send Capt. Kilroy Kerman in a Spark to land upon it and plant a flag to officially record the discovery.

Edited by Hotel26

Went from KeiNile to St. Andrews.

Taking off at the shore of KeiNile where it enters the ocean.
wUp3BHR.jpg

KeiNile visible in the background.
RVEhGqA.jpg

Close pass on some random sharp mountain. I'm not gonna name it.
H0eWYif.jpg

Headed to the lake where St. Andrews is located.
pDXG52b.jpg

I decide to stop near a small island in the lake. This is NOT St. Andrews.
YLSV6WE.jpg

It is indeed a small Island. Maybe ~100 meters across? Maybe a little bigger.
fnpsWll.jpg

An overhead view of the small island.
GAzUpY3.jpg

Flying away.
Gx0MhEK.jpg

Coming in for a landing at St. Andrews.
04xfaxA.jpg

Splashdown!
JXfLVsS.jpg

The shore of St. Andrews.
0Qtsq1H.jpg

And it's getting closer...
b6sGoRS.jpg

And closer!
V1rOYBP.jpg

Climbing on shore.
l7LZ21o.jpg

Zoomed out photo.
EF18gRo.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.