Kayak Club

St. Andrews most definitively is the largest island in the largest lake. Knowing such, the largest Island in any lake shall be called Standrews to prevent any confusion.

To get to Standrews, Summer takes off in the vicinity of several highest peaks and a river. Her lake is not visible but she could definitely have gotten there with ease.

25av8Dm.jpg

Some more mountains.

VEA7chR.jpg

Even more mountains.

srs8p6W.jpg

Rather close to the mountains, we follow the narrow river valley.

KEGv4wm.jpg

Through the valley, we get to open skies.

dXVNzd4.jpg

Some nearby terrain with a small island in the lake/river.

vakElGr.jpg

Distant mountains.

Cj4zekL.jpg

Standrews.

UL0Wcdf.jpg

Standrews zoomed out.

WPGUxZT.jpg

Edited by Pds314

This is Mt Brutality.  I wrecked the plane landing.  Jack Kerman disembarked and then slid 415 meters, narrowly averting a proper plummet from the back face of this cruel mountain.

KO9OrWX.png

The top is at 6,143 meters (if I recall).  (You can see a rather large and well-known lake in the background.)

TQpxEQy.png   zs5bNvt.png

That's Lake Summer in the background!!
xkZpdoB.png

And that's the wrecked Spark...
jPDB8TX.png

I figure I am going to get +4 for visitation of Lake Summer?  And get challenged over Mt Brutality...?

Edited by Hotel26

Just now, Hotel26 said:

This is Mt Brutality.  I wrecked the plane landing.  Jack Kerman disembarked and then slid 415 meters, narrowly averting a proper plummet from the back face of this cruel mountain.

KO9OrWX.png

The top is at 6,143 meters (if I recall).  (You can see a rather large and well-known lake in the background.)

TQpxEQy.png   zs5bNvt.png

That's Lake Summer in the background!!
xkZpdoB.png

And that's the wrecked Spark...
jPDB8TX.png

I figure I am going to get +4 for visitation of Lake Summer?  And get challenged over Mt Brutality...?

I didn't name the peak so you get to name it. Congrats finding Lake Summer.

Just now, Pds314 said:

I didn't name the peak so you get to name it.

I borrowed the name from your "Brutal mode" attempt on it in the Climbing 6000s...  So +10 for you for the discovery and I'll take +5 for visitation.  And I think we can both agree this one is Brutal!!  :)

Summer has discovered Madness Meadow.

Physical description:
Madness Meadow is an unusually flat section of mountainside. It is nearly perfectly rectangular in shape. Its dimensions are roughly 700 meters by 2 kilometers. It is gently sloping, with some areas sloping downwards by as little as 20 degrees. It is part of an ongoing experimental project in high-altitude hydroponic farming.

Level 3 clearance required to access:

Spoiler

Access granted.

The previous description is innacurate as to the origins of this structure and is part of our active disinfo campaign as to the reason for its existence. No such high-altitude hydroponic farming project currently exists, however, water must be drained from the snowpack via a series of runoff pipes at a rate of ██████ liters per day, with appropriate fertilizer and nutrients added, in order to maintain our cover story.

Madness meadow cannot be explained by any keological, erosive, impact, sedementary, volcanic, alluvial, or any other known naturalistic process, nor was it build by Kerbalkind. Madness Meadows is part of an anomalous structure believed to have originally extended for over 100 kilometers. This anomalous area is thought to be the location of an ancient megastructure created by intelligent entities which were on Kerbin before the great impact event, and at least █████████ years before the evolution of Kerbalkind, although the disruptive nature of the anomaly precludes the possibility of accurate dating. The particular nature of the megastructure's creators, alongside its original function are not known at this time.

NvMRM5V.jpg

Pe3skcP.jpg

OlC9qLm.jpg

AE1oqTz.jpg

Edited by Pds314

In search for Iceland!

Also I've been tweaking this craft I named Sonic 7 but not sure about that name yet, maybe Sonic One or Sonic 71....eeehh not sure.

Oh look up ahead in the distance, is that Iceland?

dJNtDCV.png

While screaming pass it doesn't look like Iceland so maybe this can be "Iceland Too"?

z8bNAr2.png

Another small Island covered in snow ahead, could it be????

iboTlOv.png

Aaaah! it is Iceland....

MVMPcEk.png

2 hours ago, Koolkei said:

anyone been to this massive ice ridge before yet?

Maybe shoot a picture from a higher altitude so we can have a better idea of the size.

Edited by Castille7

46 minutes ago, Castille7 said:

anyone been to this massive ice ridge before yet?

I am very new here but as I watch this really cool thread that has been going on for a while, and awesome names of so many locations have been given, is there a map of these great finds that have been made yet. It would be very cool to have one on an image to look at and go there. Thanks for reading.

8 hours ago, Retro Starship said:

I am very new

Hello, Retro Starship!  No maps as such and Article VI (6) would imply that a location may not be listed on a map until it has had at least 5 Visitations.  After that time, co-ordinates and mapping would be completely valid.

What we do have are the Discoverer links in the Landmark table in the Original Post, which link to the original publication of a Discovery.

Recently, however, a Treasure Map of all Kerbin summits over the height of 6,000 meters was found and it certainly has added a new interest to Exploration!

Edited by Hotel26

I will add two more peaks from the Pds314 Treasure Map:

They are from grid ref -7,-2 and -7, -1 respectively.

Mt Griswold Long Drop Mountain, 6,067m (I'm still open to a better suggestion for name):

CNOo3kW.png

DofAHVL.png   jT8QELb.png

K2 (6,566m):

HodKe91.png

P5m38Aj.png   AkEU0zQ.png

I will be continuing my exploration of the 6K+ group, for sport, but withholding any further Landmark claims for the time being...  Good luck, chaps, and don't forget your pitons!

Edited by Hotel26

18 minutes ago, Hotel26 said:

I will add two more peaks from the Pds314 Treasure Map:

They are from grid ref -7,-2 and -7, -1 respectively.

Mt Griswold, 6,067m (I'm open to a better suggestion for name):

CNOo3kW.png

DofAHVL.png   jT8QELb.png

K2 (height, TBA):

HodKe91.png

P5m38Aj.png   AkEU0zQ.png

I will be continuing my exploration of the 6K+ group, for sport, but withholding any further Landmark claims for the time being...  Good luck, chaps, and don't forget your pitons!

Scott Manley has named the big mountain near KSC as K2. Worth considering.

Edited by Pds314

31 minutes ago, Pds314 said:

Scott Manley has named the big mountain near KSC as K2. Worth considering.

capi3101 referred to that one (near KSC) recently also as Mt Killerkerbal.  (He has the knack of naming, for sure.)

I've chosen 'K2' here provisionally because it should refer to the second highest mountain.  Whether or not this one is (judging from the size of the X mark on Ye Treasure Map), I cannot yet say.

Meanwhile, the Royal Tabulators have been pulling another all-nighter after yesterday's Kayak marathon.

Also, "Hear ye!  Hear Ye!  Court of Conjecture is now called to session."  Hooray!!

Supreme Court (Judges @Castille7 and @purpleivan presiding) is asked to pass ruling on the attempted land-marking of Kerbin features of "global" characteristic.

Two samples in question are attached.  The Court is asked to rule "these kinds of landmarks are permissible or impermissible".  Public comment is also welcome, but Judges' ruling is final.

Sample 1 is the longest river on the planet: https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/190112-kayak-club/&do=findComment&comment=3745943

Sample 2 is any undistinguished section of the polar ice-cap: https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/190112-kayak-club/&do=findComment&comment=3749448

In contrast, an honorable mention for @Koolkei's 'Lake Zero', which is a) highly specific, b) of interest, c) locatable and d) has been visited.

Edited by Hotel26

On 2/27/2020 at 3:32 PM, Koolkei said:

Koolkei!  A very interesting place and I should like to visit it!

It's not yet in the Record of Landmarks, but I would certainly like to include it.

Here's Some Suggested Guidelines for Explorers (discoverers) and Adventurers (visitors) recommended for everyone's attention.  Hopefully, other members may add further helpful tips...

1. A Landmark should be fun to get to and yet still have the feel like it is some little-known place: off the beaten track.  It should have sufficient appeal, as something unusual about Kerbin, that visitors are inclined to spend the effort to go there.  Bear in mind that if no one is interested in your landmark or no one can figure out how to get there, They will not visit and You will not get the 10 point discovery bounty.  Therefore, it is highly advisable to give reasonable directions to get there that are fun (but not a push-over) to follow.  A pictorial trail of how you got there, for example, can make the enterprise feel like The Hunt For Big Game!
  2. You are the Discoverer!  Please name your find so that others can refer to it and, most importantly, it can be entered properly into the Register of Landmarks
  3. Post screenshots that give a sufficient panorama of the Landmark from a perspective that allows a Visitor to confirm for themselves that they have found the right place.
  4. Visitors, post a similar shot with sufficient distinctive detail and/or panorama to identify the correct trophy has been bagged (but without giving away the location)
  5. All remember not to refer to the Landmark by coordinate, at least until 5 Visitors have attended the scene and no further points are available.
Edited by Hotel26

5 hours ago, Hotel26 said:

capi3101 referred to that one (near KSC) recently also as Mt Killerkerbal.  (He has the knack of naming, for sure.)

I've chosen 'K2' here provisionally because it should refer to the second highest mountain.  Whether or not this one is (judging from the size of the X mark on Ye Treasure Map), I cannot yet say.

Meanwhile, the Royal Tabulators have been pulling another all-nighter after yesterday's Kayak marathon.

Also, "Hear ye!  Hear Ye!  Court of Conjecture is now called to session."  Hooray!!

Supreme Court (Judges @Castille7 and @purpleivan presiding) is asked to pass ruling on the attempted land-marking of Kerbin features of "global" characteristic.

Two samples in question are attached.  The Court is asked to rule "these kinds of landmarks are permissible or impermissible".  Public comment is also welcome, but Judges' ruling is final.

Sample 1 is the longest river on the planet: https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/190112-kayak-club/&do=findComment&comment=3745943

Sample 2 is any undistinguished section of the polar ice-cap: https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/190112-kayak-club/&do=findComment&comment=3749448

In contrast, an honorable mention for @Koolkei's 'Lake Zero', which is a) highly specific, b) of interest, c) locatable and d) has been visited.

Here is this judge's... er... judgement.

In the case of Koolkei's river, the feature is of too large a scale to be considered a specific location. If the image had been closer to the river, focusing on a specific feature of it, then it would be  most suitable.

For example this is approximately the same as as Koolkei's view of the bendy river, ignoring the cloud of course.

NKHylL8.png

An issue with allowing very large area features to stand would be that they would encompass otherwise valid locations for Kayak Club.

For example if we fly closer to the Southern part of the bend in @Koolkei's image, then we can see this neat tributary to the main river, a scale of feature more suited as a Kayak Club location.

W6sZryG.png

Koolhai's 2nd location "the iceridge" may well stand as a suitable location for the purposes of Kayak Club, in that it has a significant feature in the deep iceridge. However this judge has insufficient information regarding the uniqueness of this feature to provide a judgement.

Above water the location is anonymous and featureless, similar to much of the length of both polar cap coasts. During the Kerbin Sorta-Circumnavigation I boated the entire length of them, however the view below the surface was obscurred by Scatterer's water shading, making assessment of the depth of the iceridge beyond a few tens of meters impossible.

Judge Purpleivan's exhibit A.

UYxyyjP.jpg

For this reason I have to reserve judgement until Judge @Castille7 opines on this matter, or a survey mission to the region is undertaken, to determine the scale and/or commonality of the deep iceridge.

7 minutes ago, oAsAo said:

Where can i get coordinates of the places, that were already visited by 5 or more people?

So far, just two such places:

the eponymous 'Kayak River'     30S 38W
'Lake Excalibur'     74N 49W

These coordinates are to the closest degree which means quite approximate, but should put you within 7 km of your  target.

In the longer run, yes, we need a better visitation system -- and possibly a new rank: Spectator/Onlooker/Dilettante.

Edited by Hotel26

Ikr9AGu.jpg

Exploring near K2... I accidentally did some maneuvers that put my plane into a flat spin and barely got out. This thing was NOT designed for high-alpha maneuvers. I'm quite confident I would have crashed if not for turning takeoff flaps on, then off to escape the yaw coupling they create at such an AOA, then on again to avoid terrain.... 7 G at 75 m/s in a seaplane... But hey, it wasn't a crash...

Edited by Pds314

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.