Kayak Club

@KoolkeiI Found Mhole/crater mountain/Mount Brimstone/whatever it is. The first two images gave it away because coastlines are special snowflakes.

Sliding landing on the edge of the death pit. I had to quickly adjust gear friction to avoid slipping over the edge.
n44rsqI.jpg

Looking into the abyss:
VLDx4oO.jpg

Taking off into the abyss. Always great taking off with a 60 degree bank.
7pSp63t.jpg

Leaving the crater.
EJrPPH2.jpg

Same terrain visibile in the background.
8GY6aOK.jpg

Edited by Pds314

7 hours ago, Pds314 said:

Very cool place you've found. However, this is not Lac Eve or Lac Gilly, which are nowhere near another body of water besides each other and are much smaller. Additionally, I can see you have a near vertical shadow, meaning you're basically in the tropics. Lac Eve is subfreezing. Lac Eve has steeper walls, and additionally, is much further from any mountains. The sandbar between Lac Eve and Lac Gilly is also only 35 meters wide st narrowest point and 3 meters tall.

Argh, I was convinced this was the place, although looking at the original pictures again, it's very clear that it's not.

I think I was a little too caught up in doing the build, what with Val tugging on my arm, saying "hurry up airdrop me already", that I overlooked the obvious difference in size.

I have to admit -- I'm a little obsessed...  A whole day of my life now.  Gone.

This is the right view, though.    "Must...  memorize... every... set of mountains...  on Kerbin... from all...  angles..."

NsrisFf.png

And this...

USS3rvX.png

looks like the right hole in the ground.  I'm going to claim this Landmark, if it is what I think it is...

Gopher Hollow!  Ha ha, ha ha ha!

Wait a minute...

AUyFy0w.png

...getting a bad feeling about this...  Strong deja vu!!  Now, where I have seen this before...?

Better land and see what lurks there.

Edited by Hotel26

An incredible place; worth getting to -- and worth sharing the "blooper reel" of what happened next.  Most predictably...

[click & arrow for slides]

mkNiCkg.png  i7gcmLA.png  eKXu4zN.png  G3Pn3N4.png

Em6SZvm.png  K9WWlgg.png  fOuGtYu.png  mQGLE4w.png

I claim a Visitation to Lac Eve/Gilly.

Thank you for the fun, @Pds314

8 hours ago, Hotel26 said:

An incredible place; worth getting to -- and worth sharing the "blooper reel" of what happened next.  Most predictably...

[click & arrow for slides]

mkNiCkg.png  i7gcmLA.png  eKXu4zN.png  G3Pn3N4.png

Em6SZvm.png  K9WWlgg.png  fOuGtYu.png  mQGLE4w.png

I claim a Visitation to Lac Eve/Gilly.

Thank you for the fun, @Pds314

Now you see why I didn't try to land the biplane in that!

On 3/1/2020 at 7:36 AM, Hotel26 said:

In view of the Judge's findings, I am going to enter @Koolkei's 'Ice Ridge' into the Register of Landmarks.

Or we can appoint a keeper of those coordinates.  With the Judges' Permission?

How about adding the Coordinates after the Fifth Explorer establishes his findings?

1cA8LKo.png

4 hours ago, Castille7 said:

How about adding the Coordinates after the Fifth Explorer establishes his findings?

1cA8LKo.png

which coordinates? the one provided by KER? or the one you can see from the tracking station?

also how did a question of 'has anyone been here?'

became me unintentionally claiming a spot? :P

trying to get to little italy, i think i found it, but am gonna overshoot it bad...... again

tcY1JSn.png

nvm wrong area

m8Vcajl.png

ah here we go

0MPtsA1.png

Edited by Koolkei

1 hour ago, Koolkei said:

became me unintentionally claiming a spot? :P

@klond and myself created a Video with "Kayak Racing" and the Location I chose for the filming is a really beautiful place I found on Kerbin. Which was given the name "Kayak River" by: @Hotel26

It was his idea to start naming locations found by other explorers after seeing @purpleivan finding the place after some simple directions were given. Things kinda launched from there.

10 hours ago, Koolkei said:

became me unintentionally claiming a spot?

Very sorry, as this was completely a misunderstanding totally on my part.  (Especially after the KeiNile!)  I entered Ice Ridge, as promised, because the Judges made a ruling and I am obliged for the sake of fairness to all to abide by their judgments.

By the way, the two Judges have as much to do with starting Kayak Club as myself, (as Castille7 aptly explained) since it was their conversation in What Did You Do In KSP Today, that launched this thread.

But no harm, as it is completely up to you whether we retain it or not.  I think the truth is that ALL of the ice-cap coastlines are deeply impressive and it's a worthwhile sight to see -- and not just a single location.

Koolkei, you might be happy to know that both Lake Excalibur and Iceland are very good examples of exactly what you were trying to show us!

13 hours ago, Castille7 said:

Good idea!  Let's do this.

which coordinates? the one provided by KER? or the one you can see from the tracking station?

It won't matter.  They will be close enough to allow a new visitor to find the location, I am sure.  I will verify, certify and record them myself.

trying to get to little italy

Well done, Koolkei!  Would you care to add some details in your post about how Adventures should find the location?

Edited by Hotel26

The Amphitheatre

KV4HOWc.png

(I found this at night and actually thought it looked like a Bowling Ball!)

• I'm going to make this one relatively easy to get to: this Landmark Site is just over 400 kms from the KSC
  • but harder to capture!

For credit, you should:

1. plant a flag in the central amphitheatre (shown in shots 1, 2, 3 below); floor is 3,029m altitude (with photo proof)
  2. take an aerial photo showing the main 5 amphitheatres and the peak (as above)
  3. take a photo of the peak (shot 5 below)
  4. photo of the "green" (shot 4 below)
  5. and lastly, one of Needle Mountain (shot 6)

XFOgHaZ.png   bOgb9PK.png   ouvtgmA.png

KOg7crM.png   DWHC0bv.png   HsXX1Hl.png  

I would like to claim this whole group as one Landmark since it's all within the diameter of a supersonic turn.  (I could just claim all these as separate Landmarks but I think this is much fairer on other point scorers and does this Natural Site better justice in appreciation.)

To sweeten the deal, I wish to point out that "the peak" I refer to is confirmed in excess of 6,000m in height.  Yes, it's one of the Famous XIV -- and I am NOT claiming it!    Whoever gets to this site first and fulfills all the above conditions will not only get a richly-deserved 5 points, but also (potentially) another 10 points for the Peak, claimed as a separate Landmark -- as well as the all-important Naming Rights.  To make that clear, I am not claiming the Peak but leaving it to be claimed as a separate Landmark: on the condition that a complete Visitation to the site known as "The Amphitheatre", complying with the above Terms, Conditions and Stipulations, be made.

I think it is fair then, that subsequent visitors receive double points -- 8, 6, 4, 2 -- for visiting The Amphitheatre and Mount <Whatever> together.

I sincerely hope I am not setting a (bad (or, indeed, any)) precedent for future landmarks, but hope everyone will give due consideration to the numerous, close-packed sights in this location.  (Anything can be appealed and Judges' rulings always as Final as they are Well-Considered.  :) )

I did actually land and depart safely (that's how I know the altitude of the floor of the Central Amphitheatre:

N2wgchi.png

Have fun and stay safe (i.e. F5)!!

Edited by Hotel26

2 minutes ago, Koolkei said:

i really should be doing better with my documentation don't i

1. interesting, attractive place
  2. pictures
  3. catchy name
  4. clues to get there

You're moving up the leaderboard, my friend!  Up is a positive direction.

Edited by Hotel26

I have found The Amphitheatre and the (very) tall mountain nearby, but have yet to find everything else nearby.

BTwtcK9.jpg

I landed atop the peak to confirm it was what I thought it was. And indeed, behold. The peak is 6038 meters.

kpjAsr2.png

ZFRytx3.png

The very first peak in my stylized depiction of 13 out of 14 of the 6000ers, made some months ago.
Zg6KTR2.png

The tailstrike damage (losing a rudder and elevator control surface) did not make the plane any harder to fly.
Mj23XQo.jpg

Edited by Pds314

Pictured: Trying to "land" on the tall spiky mountain with no flat areas. I ended up overshooting the "runway"
"Spider pig, spider pig. Does whatever a spider pig does. Can it swing from a web, no it can't, 'cause it's a pig. Look out! It is a spider pig."
L3S7avh.jpg

"Landed"

But immediately started falling backwards once I stopped going up thanks to lack of ability to push myself into the cliff with negative flap extension and the fact that the brakes turn off my engines.

1XciTgx.jpg

Edited by Pds314

There is something particular I'm looking for, but I don't know if it exists on Kerbin.

I want to find a lake, in an island, in a lake. I have searched quite a bit and have yet to find one.

An example visible from space. Sadly, it's on Eve.

(Sidenote, don't try to use Kerbal maps fro Eve. It has seriously outdated terrain).
WAuUh1b.jpg

Edited by Pds314

On 3/5/2020 at 2:20 PM, Pds314 said:

but have yet to find everything else nearby.

Well, well done and you are the first visitor to this land mark then.  You certainly can claim the mountain, too.

Your photo:

BTwtcK9.jpg

not only shows the 6k+ mountain (what are you going to call it?!), but I can see Needle Mountain in the background near the LHS peaking over the horizon.  You should be able to match it with my image of same.  Furthermore, you are flying over "the green", so that's a grant.

If you look at my original photo:

KV4HOWc.png

you can see the bowling ball construction of five volcanic craters of varying sizes.  The peak is just above and ahead of the nose of the MiG.  And the tail of the MiG (and port wing) are obscuring a small section of The Green.

The only thing you haven't really done (as far as I can tell) is land in the central crater.  The nose of the MiG is aimed at it.  And a couple of my shots showed the valley near its top that provides entry.

Upshot is that everything required is in my shot above except for Needle Mountain (but which you have included in your first picture).

If people won't object, since it was a bit unfair of me to put conditions on this anyway, I'd like to declare you the First Visitor to The Amphitheatre and will register your claim (and name) to The First of the Famous Fourteen.

I salute you, sir!

Which reminds me that, after what I went through to find Lac Eve, I wish also to issue @Pds314 with this challenge to test his navigation mettle!  Here it is: only the greatest Explorer in Kayak Club has succeeded in finding the mythical Valhalla.  I refer, of course, to @swjr-swis (currently holding 114 points).  Accept this challenge and prevail -- and ye shall enter The Hall of Fame!  (Open to All!)

Edited by Hotel26

On 3/5/2020 at 4:57 PM, Hotel26 said:

I wish also to issue you with this challenge to test your navigation mettle!  Here it is: only the greatest Explorer in Kayak Club has succeeded in finding the mythical Valhalla.  I refer, of course, to @swjr-swis (currently holding 114 points).  Accept this challenge and prevail -- and ye shall enter The Hall of Fame!

Well... i think i know where it is. I will go and search for it

Spoiler
On 3/2/2020 at 3:25 AM, Pds314 said:

Summer has discovered: Tylo's Colloseum. A massive, fully-enclosed arena encircled in mountains in the desert. Head northeast east from KSC to get there.

moMY9Bl.jpg

CWneIE9.jpg

1zRj34S.jpg

ZKsS1Rb.jpg

R949zwL.jpg

zO6Wkpw.jpg

CIuS4GA.jpg

ijLJwXk.jpg

nMpzZrU.jpg

7Wkqcbk.jpg

cMC4QJj.jpg

I have discovered the location of Tylo's Colloseum. I had an idea of where this was, and elected to fly a route contrary to the hint given.

Link to Album, "Tylo's Colloseum"

Edited by Smokey the Bear

On 3/5/2020 at 10:19 AM, Pds314 said:

There is something particular I'm looking for, but I don't know if it exists on Kerbin.

I want to find a lake, in an island, in a lake. I have searched quite a bit and have yet to find one.

An example visible from space. Sadly, it's on Eve.

(Sidenote, don't try to use Kerbal maps fro Eve. It has seriously outdated terrain).
WAuUh1b.jpg

Strictly speaking all of the oceans on Kerbin are one big lake, as it's not possible to circumnavigate the globe by water in any direction. That's how my "sorta-circumnavigation" got it's name.

Admittedly it is a very big lake.

Edited by purpleivan

2 hours ago, purpleivan said:

Strictly speaking all of the oceans on Kerbin are one big lake, as it's not possible to circumnavigate the globe by water in any direction. That's how my "sorta-circumnavigation" got it's name.

Admittedly it is a very big lake.

Not really- the Northern and Southern Ice Shelves are just that- if the game was capable of modelling it, there would be water all under those. There's only one way to get to the Northern Ice Shelf from the Water Biome, but you could go right around the bottom of the landmass SW of the KSC, making a submarine circumnavigation possible... If the game could actually model ice shelves properly. I think Unity is to blame for that.

Source: https://ksp.deringenieur.net/

Edited by Paaaad

On 3/9/2020 at 12:49 PM, Smokey the Bear said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I have discovered the location of Tylo's Colloseum. I had an idea of where this was, and elected to fly a route contrary to the hint given.

Link to Album, "Tylo's Colloseum"

I think it's correct but with self-shadows and ultra shaders off, it looks very different. It would be nice to see a shot of the whole ring to be sure.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.