Kayak Club

8 hours ago, Smokey the Bear said:

Also... is there any opposition or restriction to purely air and land travel?

You may use any means to get to any part of Kerbin!  We've already had one location, Lake Excalibur, claimed and the Explorer suggested a dive there.

Please see https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/190112-kayak-club/&do=findComment&comment=3729901

Since you've raised this interesting subject, and in the Name of Sportsmanship, I want to issue a challenge to all Kayak Club members (and wannabes)...

It just so happens that, in my Orbit production world, I have a submarine base situated...  at location...  muhahaha...

... 1,374 km upon the ocean floor!!  A location I call...  Davy Jones' Locker.  Ha ha ha.

#2: But, excuse me, Dr Knievel...  "1,374 km" appears to be what a likely majority of the world's Most Eminent Scientists would construe as a "distance", rather than a location...  most respectfully.

Dr Kneivel: is that so, Number Two?  "Distance".  "Location".  Is there really such a big difference nowadays?  We're all enlightened, I'd say.  Why can't we all just get along?  Why do we need so many opinions about everything...

#2 (now somewhat exasperated): But...  Dr Knievel.  Really.  I've asked you before...  most politely.  Would you please refrain from addressing me as "Number Two".  My preferred title is "Chief Intelligence Officer".  And if what you really mean is a "depth", then surely you mean "meters"; not "kilometers"...?

Dr Knievel:  Perhaps.  [stroking cat]  Perhaps not.  Does it matter so much to you, Number Two??  In any case: refrain from further interruption, if you will.  I am issuing a challenge being broadcast to every Explorer's Guild on the planet!, fur Gott's sake

Dr Knievel: It is a very easy matter for me to revisit this depth (er location).  My own personal submersible is fitted with sophisticated C.H.U.M counter-measures to thwart the patrolling -- and quite ravenous, I should say! -- platoons of tiger sharks, equipped with the very latest technology in dorsal-frikkin' lasers...  that protect the base, 7x24...  from Unwelcome Intruders. I can have screenshots for a Claim within, uhm,  [pinky] nanoseconds.  (Squints menacingly at a cowering #2.)  Microseconds, quite possibly...  let's not quibble, mmm [conciliatory].

Therefore, the Challenge to the world: FIND Davy Jones Locker (any location >= 1.374 m in depth) within 72 hours (seventy two hours) and claim Explorer's Rights -- OR -- I claim these evil depths; I mean: this evil location; for my own unspecified purposes!  (Evil ones.  Most naturally.)  Mu ha ha.

Explorers: you have until 1107 UTC Saturday morning, April 11, to accomplish your Quest.

FRAU KISSENERRRR!!!.....

Edited by Hotel26

9 hours ago, Hotel26 said:

I love it! and I for one really appreciate your stirling contribution to the Club!

Let's await the Supreme Judges ruling on this but I for one will wear this badge (in my signature) with pride if/when approved.

Thank you Smokey Bear!!

To all, I will clean up the mess in the Record of Landmarks and post the latest scores, later today.  Thank you for your patience.

@Hotel26 @purpleivan Let's first decide who gets a Badge and for what accomplishment(s). So ideas first, I'll begin with let's not make it too complicated to get one. Then make a Poll or Vote on the final ideas maybe, what are you two guys thoughts?

Also, should we add color to that badge?

Edited by Castille7

28 minutes ago, Castille7 said:

let's not make it too complicated

Yay!

https://www.pinterest.com.au/pin/468163323760834390/

28 minutes ago, Castille7 said:

add color to that badge

Variations on this red-white scheme for the compass ring?  Altho mixing preserver colors/scheme with the compass sentiment might be ultimately confusing?

th?id=OIP.8NUlTwfxYFah1t73iZB24wHaHa%26pth?id=OIP.kQL15gTrS42T-GoCRlg8OQHaHa%26p

I would say the artistic judgement (and commitment of work) resides fully with Smokey Bear on this but no doubt some community suggestions would be fun...

Edited by Hotel26

1 hour ago, Hotel26 said:

Yay!

https://www.pinterest.com.au/pin/468163323760834390/

Variations on this red-white scheme for the compass ring?  Altho mixing preserver colors/scheme with the compass sentiment might be ultimately confusing?

th?id=OIP.8NUlTwfxYFah1t73iZB24wHaHa%26pth?id=OIP.kQL15gTrS42T-GoCRlg8OQHaHa%26p

I would say the artistic judgement (and commitment of work) resides fully with Smokey Bear on this but no doubt some community suggestions would be fun...

Yo I'll paint up any scheme / change elements at request. I'm not a graphic artist, but I do have a lot of time on my hands. I'll do some mock ups and see if anything looks good, and add various flairs and such.

Gotta go mow the lawn first :cool:

3 hours ago, Hotel26 said:

Therefore, the Challenge to the world: FIND Davy Jones Locker (any location >= 1.374 m in depth) within 72 hours (seventy two hours) and claim Explorer's Rights -- OR -- I claim these evil depths; I mean: this evil location; for my own unspecified purposes!  (Evil ones.  Most naturally.)  Mu ha ha.

Explorers: you have until 1107 UTC Saturday morning, April 11, to accomplish your Quest.

The Hunt Is On GIF - Nelson Simpsons The - Discover & Share GIFs

Scores have been updated.  The Record of Landmarks is mostly reconstructed, although numerous visitations still have to be added to the first 15 rows.

Congratulations to @Pds314, sir: you have moved into 2nd rank!

Thank you for your usual Nat.Geog. quality photo-shoot, @purpleivan

Special thanks to @Smokey the Bear for his initiative and artwork in designing a Kayak Club emblem/badge.

And, um, welcome @Dr Knievel, whomever you are...    Muhahahaha.

Edited by Hotel26

4 hours ago, Castille7 said:

@Hotel26 @purpleivan Let's first decide who gets a Badge and for what accomplishment(s). So ideas first, I'll begin with let's not make it too complicated to get one. Then make a Poll or Vote on the final ideas maybe, what are you two guys thoughts?

Also, should we add color to that badge?

I'm going to guess that a trip to a single location is too low a bar for a badge. If that's the case, then how about visiting a specific number of them (e.g. 5) warrants receiving one. Alternatively we could have a set of different coloured badges (2 or 3), with the first being awards for a visit to a first location, then the other(s) for a specific number of them visited.

Possibly bronze, silver and gold system, for 1, 5 and 10 visits respectively.

Edited by purpleivan

5 hours ago, purpleivan said:

I'm going to guess that a trip to a single location is too low a bar for a badge. If that's the case, then how about visiting a specific number of them (e.g. 5) warrants receiving one. Alternatively we could have a set of different coloured badges (2 or 3), with the first being awards for a visit to a first location, then the other(s) for a specific number of them visited.

I mocked up the Bronze/Silver/Gold scheme on the bezel of the compass, and the color of the oars. I could make one for "visiting a location first", just need to think of something witty or meaningful to put in the center. Anyways, mock up's below...

Spoiler

These are lame AF, look at the post directly below VVVVV

I'm going to see what they look like with metallic texture added, I'll update this post when that happens

Edited by Smokey the Bear

Ok so firstly, I dedicated WAY too much time to this endeavor to the depths of Kerbin's seas, but here it is.... Davey Jones' (Left) Locker

Hcg5ePr.png

Designing a stable submersible with adequate range, then crunching the numbers on how much weight would be necessary to make a Kerbal neutrally buoyant, then attaching the submersible to a rocket, then putting the rocket right on top of the "eye" of the locker... it was a good investment of time and mission planning. I have attached my calculations below, but the important numbers are as follows:

Summary of Calculated Data
Volume of Kerbal 0.16582m^3
Mass of Kerbal 93.654 kg
Buoyant Force Kerbal (in water) 1625 N

The amount of weight necessary to make the standard Kerbal neutrally buoyant is 72 kg (This can be achieved via KAS/KIS)

Spoiler

qxidLgX.jpg

If any of my math is wrong, A) wouldn't be surprised, I'm rocking a killer headache, B) please let me know, I hate loose ends.

Got one for you guys- been meaning to post this for a while actually, just kept forgetting.

Null Bay

kr25MIi2mVjNr42m3jtVbu_MgOzC9w8H5uzuW5J-

Looking North:

Spoiler

5VxKzqy4eE0hOwNQeTkMtg3nw8TkWRMmnYg17wFh

East:

Spoiler

kU2elw3C9UHjYSUgHQLc0MbdYD9JtFEG4Xhesmdy

South:

Spoiler

PlKccPueWcG9_g5rRWl8y499dC8Fcgx5WYgpcs-v

And West:

Spoiler

-uJGiVrMFN4J7QuriK_q7Dc3_O596joy297Lyzre

Directions are pretty simple: Just head due east from the KSC for just under 75°. The Coordinates should be a dead giveaway that you've arrived, if the view isn't enough on it's own. (Not claiming that mountain per say, but I'll provisionally call it Saddle Mountain for it's shape.) I used the f12 menu to get there, but I'm fairly certain this boat has the range to get there on it's own.

Backup link: https://photos.app.goo.gl/9ZsBWUHCoezUKhBY8

Edited by Paaaad
Fix screenshots (I hope.)

9 hours ago, Hotel26 said:

Paaaad, eager to see your screenshots...  just a note that they are appearing to others as locked.  You may be sharing private links...?

Odd, I'll try a quick edit... I guess just right clicking on the pictures and grabbing that address doesn't work with Google Photos...

21 hours ago, Smokey the Bear said:

Ok so firstly, I dedicated WAY too much time to this endeavor to the depths of Kerbin's seas, but here it is.... Davey Jones' (Left) Locker

Hcg5ePr.png

Designing a stable submersible with adequate range, then crunching the numbers on how much weight would be necessary to make a Kerbal neutrally buoyant, then attaching the submersible to a rocket, then putting the rocket right on top of the "eye" of the locker... it was a good investment of time and mission planning. I have attached my calculations below, but the important numbers are as follows:

Summary of Calculated Data
Volume of Kerbal 0.16582m^3
Mass of Kerbal 93.654 kg
Buoyant Force Kerbal (in water) 1625 N

The amount of weight necessary to make the standard Kerbal neutrally buoyant is 72 kg (This can be achieved via KAS/KIS)

Hide contents

qxidLgX.jpg

If any of my math is wrong, A) wouldn't be surprised, I'm rocking a killer headache, B) please let me know, I hate loose ends.

This reminds me of when I did this with a bunch of different parts to find their bouyancy. Some of the data is from other people.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1zWK-f0ptMEJkSuEshDWPaaGoqbUMgZJ58zP3GGbOLik/edit?usp=sharing

Edited by Pds314

On 4/9/2020 at 10:46 AM, Smokey the Bear said:

I dedicated WAY too much time to this endeavor to the depths of Kerbin's seas

Kerbal Space Kommand has received a terse communique which reads as follows:

"Doctor Knievel here.  Outstanding work on your recent Neptunian mission, Herr Smokey Bear.  Truly impressive.  Please permit me to be the last to extend to you -- well, not my congratulations, since we now seem to be pitted against each other in some form of Herculean struggle -- but the gratitude of a thankful planet for saving it from (or merely postponing?) its ultimate fate.  No doubt, Herr Bear, we will cross swords again!  Good luck."

JinXccu.png

"P.S.  about the matter of the disappearance of at least three of my laser-infected dragoons of the deep...  I have to ask: do you have any pertinent knowledge of their whereabouts?

Under the circumstances, I am attaching an invoice to you in the amount of...  three hundred million dollars.  30 days payment, standard terms.  My lawyers (evil lawyers, most naturally) will be in contact."

Edited by Hotel26

On 4/8/2020 at 10:39 AM, purpleivan said:

@Hotel26 @purpleivan

I like the idea of a point system...ie 5 points any way you get it would give you a bronze, 10 points silver and maybe a Gold badge if you get in the top ten of the leader board? These are just some ideas for us to throw around.

Edited by Castille7

My modest proposal:

1. Adventurer: bronze badge for Kayak membership (on the leaderboard)
  2. Explorer: silver badge for a confirmed landmark
  3. Navigator: gold badge for a landmark receiving five (5) visitations.

A "confirmed landmark" is any claim that has attracted a Visitor.

[I still have to reconstruct visitations to the first 15 or so entries in the Record of Landmarks.  Work pending.]

Edited by Hotel26

2 hours ago, Hotel26 said:

My modest proposal:

1. Adventurer: bronze badge for Kayak membership (on the leaderboard)
  2. Explorer: silver badge for a confirmed landmark
  3. Navigator: gold badge for a landmark receiving five (5) visitations.

A "confirmed landmark" is any claim that has attracted a Visitor.

[I still have to reconstruct visitations to the first 15 or so entries in the Record of Landmarks.  Work pending.]

I'm a bit confused, is the bronze badge for visiting a landmark, while the silver and gold for those who have posted landmarks for others to visit?

If so, is it a bit strange to be splitting up the badges like that, between those who post landmarks and others who visit them. it feels like they should have separate types of badges rather than ones in a range of the same type. An option could be to have a set of badges that covers both visits and posting of landmarks as achievements. I've put together an example of how we could integrate landmark visting and and landmark posting into one design.

The colour is for visiting landmarks, bronze 1, silver 5, gold 10 (those below are all for someone who's only visited one location) and the triangle symbol and number for the posters of landmarks.

pyNRpAI.jpg

So from left to right these would be for 1st visit, 1st visit and posting a single confirmed landmark and finally 1st visit plus a landmark with 5 visitations.

I might be over thinking this though and overcomplicating in the process :)

Well, ultimately, my preference would be to have one simple badge that declares, "I am a member of Kayak Club".  That's simple enough.

Having said that, we have had the notion of Explorer and Adventurer from the time of the OP.

An Adventurer is someone who visits Landmarks that have been declared.  This is hard enough, especially with the directions some like to give!  (Myself included.)

But the gold of Kayak Club are the landmarks that are truly interesting to behold, and those who discover them, the Explorers, are the lifeblood of Kayak Club.

Then, I consider, that the very best Explorers will produce Landmarks that are attractive to others to attempt to find.  The Validation of a Landmark is that Adventurers consider it worthwhile to make the visit.

This is why Explorers get ten points, while Adventurers only get 15, divided between them.  And this is why the Explorer does NOT get any points until the first Adventurer has gone to behold in person.

So, if we care to have a graded system, then that's how I see it: based on the qualitative merit, not the quantitative.

It is true that other "challenges" almost invariably use the linear game-scoring mechanism -- and we do have a leaderboard -- but I think Kayak Club is truly different from the usual challenge or competition.  Especially since there is a symbiotic relationship between the Adventurer and the Explorer and that each of these can also be the other!

I think one type of badge, certainly with different colors, and possibly (but not necessarily), including the nomenclature "Adventurer", or "Explorer", or "Navigator"[*] would be quite succinct and uncomplicated.

[*] I'm not set on this term, [Master] Navigator.  I had never conceived there might be a third rank, but why not?  I like it.

From here, with input from all members, I'll leave it to @Smokey the Bear and Judges purpleivan and Castille7 to make a final recommendation.  I must say, the idea of having badges makes me very happy (thank you, Herr Smokey and Duke purpleivan!) and I will be pleased with whatever is decided.

Edited by Hotel26

@Hotel26 @purpleivan @Smokey the Bear

I think at this point we have given our opinions and ideas on the direction of how we would like to see this Badge System work. Also I would like to give one more suggestion to Smokey the Bear when making his final decision. Hotel26 will be the one maintaining Kayak Club (Leader Board) so I would lean in his direction from here. I like the idea of a Badge also and whichever way this turns out is fine by me. :)

4 minutes ago, Castille7 said:

so I would lean in his direction from here

Not at all!  This is Smokey's initiative and purpleivan's project also, by contribution.  Let's leave it to them with Smokey having final vote.  I'm really looking forward to whatever they produce; all arguments having been heard!

Edited by Hotel26

3 hours ago, Hotel26 said:

Well, ultimately, my preference would be to have one simple badge that declares, "I am a member of Kayak Club".  That's simple enough.

Having said that, we have had the notion of Explorer and Adventurer from the time of the OP.

An Adventurer is someone who visits Landmarks that have been declared.  This is hard enough, especially with the directions some like to give!  (Myself included.)

But the gold of Kayak Club are the landmarks that are truly interesting to behold, and those who discover them, the Explorers, are the lifeblood of Kayak Club.

Then, I consider, that the very best Explorers will produce Landmarks that are attractive to others to attempt to find.  The Validation of a Landmark is that Adventurers consider it worthwhile to make the visit.

This is why Explorers get ten points, while Adventurers only get 15, divided between them.  And this is why the Explorer does NOT get any points until the first Adventurer has gone to behold in person.

So, if we care to have a graded system, then that's how I see it: based on the qualitative merit, not the quantitative.

It is true that other "challenges" almost invariably use the linear game-scoring mechanism -- and we do have a leaderboard -- but I think Kayak Club is truly different from the usual challenge or competition.  Especially since there is a symbiotic relationship between the Adventurer and the Explorer and that each of these can also be the other!

I think one type of badge, certainly with different colors, and possibly (but not necessarily), including the nomenclature "Adventurer", or "Explorer", or "Navigator"[*] would be quite succinct and uncomplicated.

[*] I'm not set on this term, [Master] Navigator.  I had never conceived there might be a third rank, but why not?  I like it.

From here, with input from all members, I'll leave it to @Smokey the Bear and Judges purpleivan and Castille7 to make a final recommendation.  I must say, the idea of having badges makes me very happy (thank you, Herr Smokey and Duke purpleivan!) and I will be pleased with whatever is decided.

I think it's just the "gold, silver and bronze" of the badges that confused me, as it suggests quantitative order of merit. I agree that a single badge design (shape) would be best, with colour being the differentiator between what the badges represent, just threw the "2 shapes in 3 colours" out there as an option. I'm happy if we go with what @Hotel26 proposed.

Edited by purpleivan

31 minutes ago, purpleivan said:

I think it's just the "gold, silver and bronze" of the badges that confused me, as it suggests quantitative order of merit

I do get your point...  let's see if anyone else chimes in.  Smokey?  What are your wishes?  :)

Edited by Hotel26

I claim the Great Barrier Reef (such as it is):

Q6qlCaA.png   NRD6Elq.png

I know, I know.  "Where is it?"  Wise guys...  "That's not a landmark!!!??  That's a watermark..."  Ha ha ha.  Yeah, I get it...

This world-famous (now) coral reef is located close to a barren coast and is in the company of some other islands, which also appear to have reefs.

It's in the Southern Hemisphere.  (Yeah, I think everyone knew that.)  And it's in the tropics.

If you were to fly a very fast Panther-powered jet (that one is a little beauty, let me tell you, it is H/VTOL and so easy to park at e.g. Walmart) -- oh yeah, in a line between two of the principal launch sites on Kerbin...  OK, I think I've blurted out enough.

Not so fast!!

I haven't taken a depth-sounding at this location yet.  So, here's the challenge: how deep is it?  UND...  is it possible to plant a flag underwater????   Mwahahahaa.

Explorers got to know...

Silly me.  Of course it is possible.  https://i.imgur.com/Hcg5ePr.png  How did you do that, Smokey?  Just plant it...??

Edited by Hotel26

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.