Kayak Club

@purpleivan @Hotel26 @Castille7 Gentlemen of the board...

I believe an amalgamation of the ideas presented would be the best course of action. A tiered system of badges, denoted by exquisite color and sheen, would be simple to implement, yet help to both increase the prestige of the organization and provide for some fun advertising.

Thus I propose:

·         Three tiers (bronze, silver, and gold). My thoughts with this are to make getting bronze a relatively simple task, but achieving the higher levels to be an act requiring persistence and interest in achieving True Exploratory Prowess. I invite criticism for the point values themselves, as I don't know what constitutes as too much or too little

o   Bronze Tier: 10 points on leaderboard

o   Silver Tier: 30 points on leaderboard

o   Gold Tier: 70 points on leaderboard

·         Dicovering a landmark would adorn the badge with a triangle (per purpleivan’s example)

·         Discovering a landmark, with an explorer planting a flag, would qualify adorning the badge with a planted flag image of some kind (this would encourage landing craft on sites instead of simple fly-bys)

·         Discovering a landmark, and having 5 explorers visit said site, should denote a badge adornment of some kind but I can’t think of something witty at the current moment.

The idea behind these three adornments is to encourage more involvement in expeditions, and create a simple yet alluring addition to the challenge of the Club. I think more adornments / permutations should be considered, but as a baseline I think this should be a sufficient start to a badge initiative

Edited by Smokey the Bear

On 4/13/2020 at 12:16 AM, Smokey the Bear said:

I believe an amalgamation of the ideas presented would be the best course of action.

Esteemed @Smokey the Bear, your course of action has been heartily approved by the Supreme Board.  A sentiment was expressed that the hue of the 3 colors of badges should show more contrast to distinguish them, if that be possible.

Please do feel free to draw on the work of @purpleivan as you see fit and/or call on his help as you need.  I think the next step would be to produce Ye Artefacts, as they would be used by Club Members for final ratification and then publication in the OP with instructions and the inevitable regulations.

Incidentally, the STS badges in your own signature seem to have 103x105 pixels.  Additionally, I've noted lately that Chequers of Orbit Boot Camp (with whom I note you are also familiar) may possibly have awesome expertise in the field of making badges...  he might be willing to provide pointers?

Thank you once again for your initiative in this important matter.

Whilst on a mission to conduct some atmospheric flight readings, Jebediah uploaded a mission progress report, including images of a rather interesting mountain formation.

'Zounds!' I exclaimed, for I immediately recognised the topography, 'that simply has to be Kamp David, in the Molar Valley, first documented by the honourable @Hotel26, of the Kayak Club!'

I immediately ordered Jebediah to set down, deciding it was against our interests to advise him of the previous casualties of other Kerbals who had attempted the landing.

As expected, the landing was hazardous; a small plateau just beyond the ridge would make a fine landing platform for a smaller vessel, but Jebediah had to land the SP-IV 'Talon' within the valley proper. 

While exploring the beautiful surroundings, he spotted a strange object a short distance from the landing site... and on approach, was delighted to discover a Squad Monolith; no doubt in memorium to the brave Kerbals who were not so lucky to walk away from a landing among the mountains. Jebediah marked the spot with a flag, before returning to the Talon for the flight home.

As an aside, looking at previous screenshots of this location, I applaud the developers for making Kerbin look so beautiful with the latest 1.9 update. I didn't play before this update, but I certainly appreciate the improved visuals!

Photographs

Spoiler

S327MAZ.jpg
A routine atmospheric survey flight has turned up a surprise! A familiar looking mountain formation, that can only be the site of Kamp David!

zSsGvRp.jpg
Jebediah loops around for a slow entry.

CKWzHot.jpg
Precision flying is needed to thread the Talon through the gap. Jebediah is up to the task!

wrEJdAN.jpg
Once through, a small plateau would make an ideal spot for both landing and lunch; but the Talon is not designed for such a short stop. Safety first!

TYRhcY7.jpg
An alternative landing site is selected. Jebediah is enjoying the challenge - Bob, not so much.

At3t3KW.jpg
Safely landed and engine shutdown. Jebediah explores the beautiful surroundings, while Bob requisitions alternative underwear arrangements.

xYtYhGB.jpg
Whilst exploring the area, Jebediah spots a Squad Monolith, a short distance from the landing site! A perfect place to plant a flag.

Edited by Chequers

Just a short message to my fellow explorers, new and veteran alike: reports of my MIA status have been greatly exaggerated.

The main sponsor of my Kerbin travels went out of business and as a result, my explorations were interrupted quite rudely by my sudden need to seek out new sponsorship. It's been a bit of a hassle and I'm not out of the woods yet, which will keep me grounded for a bit longer, but I am currently schmoozing up to a new source of funding so hopefully I can restart my travels soon.

I'm glad to see our ranks have been growing in the meantime, some of them quite active too. Welcome to all, and keep up the good works!

7 hours ago, swjr-swis said:

Just a short message to my fellow explorers

So very, very good to hear from you, dear friend.

Wish you the very best with your endeavors in these trying times.

9 hours ago, Chequers said:

'Zounds!' I exclaimed

Welcome to Kayak Club, brave-hearted Aviator and congratulations on finding what is indeed Kamp David.  Same on landing and planting a flag.  Bonuses for finding the monolith, too.  No one had before noted its presence (I myself kept it quite secret!).  And kudos most of all for the use of abstruse, extraordinary and/or frightfully rarefied vocabulary.  Zounds, indeed!!  You will find that sort of thing very well-received here at Kayak Club, I must say!

Be advised that the Record of Landmarks for the first 15 entries or so are currently being reconstructed after a drunken error by the Lowly Tally-Keeper, who has been punished by being put on rations...  And your score will duly be entered and your name recorded in the Leaderboard.  Welcome.

Edited by Hotel26

7 hours ago, Hotel26 said:

Welcome to Kayak Club, brave-hearted Aviator and congratulations on finding what is indeed Kamp David.  Same on landing and planting a flag.  Bonuses for finding the monolith, too.  No one had before noted its presence (I myself kept it quite secret!).  And kudos most of all for the use of abstruse, extraordinary and/or frightfully rarefied vocabulary.  Zounds, indeed!!  You will find that sort of thing very well-received here at Kayak Club, I must say!

Be advised that the Record of Landmarks for the first 15 entries or so are currently being reconstructed after a drunken error by the Lowly Tally-Keeper, who has been punished by being put on rations...  And your score will duly be entered and your name recorded in the Leaderboard.  Welcome.

My sincerest gratitude for your most gracious welcome; I count it the highest honour to be considered among this most prestigious of organisations, and hope my contributions uphold the legacy of this esteemed institution of brave and intrepid explorers.

And furthermore, my heartfelt apology for disclosing the secret of the monolith at Kamp David - if indeed, it was to remain a surprise to visitors. I could scarce contain my excitement; it was indeed the first I had encountered 'in the wild'.

The call of adventure and challenge was incessent, and so I was compelled to answer. The previous expedition to Kamp David revealed a tantalising luncheon spot - a plateau just beyond the ridge. The 'Talon' was too heavy and fast a bird to set down on such a narrow wedge of land.

And so Jebediah made the return in the AP-I 'Rapscallion' - designed for just such a feat. And the views were suitably magnificent.

Photographs

Spoiler

Ath33zi.png
The ridge overlooking Kamp David; a wonderful spot for losing one's breath. And for a spot of luncheon amongst the mountains.

pZmYxrB.png
Magnificent views!

11 hours ago, Chequers said:

a tantalising luncheon spot

Wonderful.  I think you should at least name this spot even if it's too close to be a separate Landmark.  Please let us know what you want to call it!![1]

If I remember correctly, out the back NNW is a snow ridge that is quite accessible by air.  I think I discovered that one during my project to connect KSC to the North Pole using ground-based relays (with 100% occlusion).

Here it is:

name = LUKLA
            lat = 35.372358406261732
            lon = -75.385059493498446
            alt = 5278.1111943827709

worthy though the views were -- it was still probably too close to call a separate Landmark.

Factoid: I use Kamp David for round-trip test flights of larger choppers although I do occasionally venture in there (foolishly) with fixed-wing equipment.

[1] how about something suggestive of an "eyrie"?  Eyrie Field...  ?

Edited by Hotel26

Just took a trip out to @Chequers Kamp David as well as a landing at the "luncheon spot".

Jeb was so eager to get going, he was up at the break of dawn to take to the air in Stopo Starto, the SRB assisted quick takeoff and landing thingamabob.

CDbmNz5.png

As usual Jeb couldn't resist hitting the afterburners for a quick getaway.

Spoiler

ZszQo7n.png

Nice morning for it.

9gxv26M.png

Going to lose sight of that coast soon, then it's just grass and more grass for some time.

Spoiler

zq9M56c.png

Meanwhile Jeb busies himself with the morning's crossword puzzle.

Spoiler

zlI9aHZ.png

Ahah... the Molar mountains dead ahead.

Spoiler

8L48LM3.png

Now time for some needle threadering.

EnDqaoe.png

Oops... nearly a dropped stitch there, Jeb saves the day with a quick bank to the left.

xGKUoFS.png

And there she is... in the rearview mirror. Today's landing spot.

uHsI8KG.png

Jeb has to think now about how to approach the landing and not what's a 5 letter word for someone who flys planes.

Spoiler

PVJfVMQ.png

First thing turn round to point the right way.

roQahVF.png

Jeb cut the engines a little way out and glided in and by the time he crossed the edge of the plateau the Stopo Starto was down to about 55m/s.

The forward facing Sepratrons were fired to quickly arrest the forward velocity, but I forgot to grab a pic.

ELI9gr8.png

But land she did, if a bit bumpily, but nothing fell off.

dCAM7xo.png

Jeb exited the plane to jab a flag in the ground.

CInmoBQ.png

Hmmm... since when did I change the flag from the default KSP one.

I'm looking at you Jeb.

Spoiler

UZ7re34.png

Ok, time to get out of here, so just need to get back in the cockpit and...

Hmmm... doesn't seem to be a way to climb back in. Never mind F9 to the rescue.

Spoiler

jn45EJf.png

Ok, so there it is, a short downward slope then a very long, very steep one.

How to approach this.

Spoiler

JmoSpKa.png

Answer... light up the rearward facing Sepratrons and go for it!

hlCvdRz.png

Once again Jeb experiences the joys of flight, as opposed to the not so joys of falling down a cliff in an exploding aircraft.

Spoiler

ouMws30.png

Now it's time to head home.

Tt9gs0B.png

As a little bonus I can claim a much earlier visit to Kamp David, back in the heady days of November 2014, when I visited there as part of the "visit all the anomalies" mission that I'd set myself.

It was a crazy time, a time of "I don't do no fancy planes to get places" (ok... I sucked at flying them), so a rover was despatched the natural way... by rocket.

Spoiler

K9YRLGq.jpg

Then dropped in on chutes. Ah yes, the days of chutes being able to survive the fires of re-entry.

Spoiler

iwOlow5.jpg

Once on the ground I saw that luncheon spot in the distance and thought "that would make a fine place to send Jeb in some strange winged flying machine one day."

But not this day, we have work to do.

lIqXXyQ.jpg

Like finding that monolith, or at least what little of it was visible.

mUEgTsZ.jpg

Edited by purpleivan

17 hours ago, Hotel26 said:

Wonderful.  I think you should at least name this spot even if it's too close to be a separate Landmark.  Please let us know what you want to call it!![1]

[1] how about something suggestive of an "eyrie"?  Eyrie Field...  ?

Ah, what an honour! I was going to call it Luncheon Ledge, in honour of Jebediah and the prawn mayonnaise sandwich he delightfully consumed whilst dwelling on the meaning of Kerbal-kind. But if you'd prefer something suggestive of an Eyrie, then perhaps 'Erudite's Eyrie' - as in, to be erudite: having or showing knowledge that is gained by studying - as this spot marks a wonderful place to survey Kamp David, and ponder the beauty of Kerbin. It is a spot that tempts one to flirt with all manner of philosophy. 

Edited by Chequers

9 hours ago, Chequers said:

I was going to call it Luncheon Ledge

I love it.  It perfectly captures the relaxed nature of this whole place -- as long as you are not on short final!!!!

Glad to see purpleivan showing us all how to do things with Ultimate Flair...  Rockets?!  Of course!  :)

I'm feeling quite guilty about the Leaderboard now.  I'll update everything first thing Saturday morning.  (No cartoons for me!)

Scores have been updated.

@Chequers awarded his first 4 points and several Honorable Mentions for his brave foray to Kamp David.

1. Welcome to the Leaderboard and Ye Official Membership, therefore, in Kayak Club!
  2. Celebration of your discovery of a Squad monolith hidden within Molar Valley
  3. Congratulations on naming Luncheon Ledge (and b<snip>dy landing there!).  Good show, old chap!

@purpleivan awarded 3 for visiting Kamp David, with "Super Honorable Mention for Usage Of Unconventional Transportation Technique(s)"  Well done!

@Smokey the Bear (retrospectively), "Citation for Admirable Usage of Vocabulary" for "thalassophobia".  Gads!  I had to look that up myself!

I still have some clean-up to do in the Visitations to the first 15 or so Record of Landmarks entries, which I expect to complete today; but for now I must hie meself to the TV to catch the last of the Saturday Morning cartoons...  Cheers.

Edited by Hotel26

• 2 weeks later...

Esteemed colleagues of the Kayak Club. I would like to enquire as to the current registration of this landmark, and whether it had yet been chronicled?

mVXNYRM.jpg

Jebediah, on an expedition North East of the KSC, sighted this wonderfully serine island lake, glinting in the low-hung light of sunset, backdropp'd by a dramatic range of peaks: between which a wonderful landing spot offered sensational views of the lake.

I can, of course, provide a full entry if it turns out to be an, as yet, undocumented landmark. Otherwise, I share in the joy it must have brought another adventurer.

Edited by Chequers

8 minutes ago, Chequers said:

current registration of this landmark

It doesn't look like it's been registered, although it may have been claimed and visited?

Please compare with this:

If you feel it's the same, I'll credit you with a visitation (and get the original registered in the Records!)

1 hour ago, Chequers said:

It certainly is Newfoundland!

Well done on finding it, good Sir Knight!

Since I apparently did not bestow a name on this magnificent site, and you have the gift, why don't you name it for us then, good sir?!

My claim was on the lake and not on Newfoundland in its entirety (too big for a landmark).

OK, so it looks like this lake would have been registered in order after Footstep Island, which puts it in the first 15 or so entries that were lost and had to be reconstructed.  I missed this one during reconstruction since it had apparently not been named.  I'll rectify the mistakes.

Edited by Hotel26

49 minutes ago, Hotel26 said:

why don't you name it for us then, good sir?!

An honour! As you rightly pointed out, it bears the shape of my homeland, Australia, so it seems fitting to name it in accordance.

I propose ‘Lake Omaroo’ which is an aboriginal word meaning ‘beautiful view.’

The Three Sages

I would like to to submit a location to the esteemed Kayak Club, for consideration as a landmark worth a visitation. I have checked the chronicle thoroughly, and did not find another had claimed it.

I have named it 'The Three Sages', after a tale from local folklore in the area.

It is found by travelling to the northern ice shelf from the KSC, then following its coast to the east, until one comes to highlands that are connected to the shelf. The Three Sages are close to the centre of the mountain range to the east. 

Photographs

Spoiler

48H3U4z.jpg
The Three Sages from their western side.

zk0kjMY.jpg
The gully formed between The Three Sages and the nearby mountain is great for a high-speed pass.

jzGFy5U.png
Approaching from the east.

The Tale

Spoiler

Legend has it, that in ages past, when the stars were still a mystery, and the Mun's surface was nary trod by Kerbal feet, the wise-women of the Kerman tribe would tell stories of their own brave explorers. For Kerbals have always been people of conquest and adventure: not of the far flung reaches of space — for Kerbal minds could scarcely fathom such in ancient times — but of the secrets of Kerbin.

One such legend, and a favourite campfire story told to young Kerbals, tells of three sages — Er, Ud, and Ite. On seeing a particular alignment of the Mun and Minmus, and through abstract divination, concluded that great knowledge could be found on the northern pole of Kerbin. 

And so they ventured t'wards it, despite the many warnings, for their lust of learning could not be quenched. In single file they trudged on, with cloaks clung tightly about them, and their pointed hats to keep the rain from their heads, until they reached a mountain pass.

But there they were overcome, for the cold winds whip, and the snow-storms wail, and their strength departed them. And though their cloaks were made of fine material, they were not warm - and though their pointed hats were splendid, they did little to keep out the chill. They huddled together, beneath the shadow of a great mountain, until the three of them were frozen solid.

They still stand there, to this day, their pointed hats and flowing cloaks a reminder: Kerbals should always wear proper spacesuits.

Edited by Chequers

A Communique from the Board of Kayak Club to All Esteemed Members.

As a provisional first step, resulting from an initiative by His Inimitable Smokey the Bear, Kayak Club membership badges have now been established.

As a Member of Kayak Club, you are entitled to use this badge, if you wish, e.g. in your signature line.  it is possible in the future, that a graded line of merit badges will be defined and awarded; so this badge is issued on the understanding that it may be upgraded at some later time.

My grateful acknowledgement to the Supreme Judges, the Honorable purpleivan and the Honorable Castille7, for graciously agreeing to waive Articles I & X in this matter.

And a very warm and sincere Thank You to Smokey; I am sure all Members will appreciate your initiative in this matter, and with special mention also of artistic contribution from purpleivan.

Simply go to your name in the top-right of a page and navigate via it to account settings and thence Signature to edit your Signature line.  Paste this link below into your signature at the point you wish it to appear.  (I do strongly recommend also, that you right-click the image, once it appears and Edit it to set the Link URL also to: https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/190112-kayak-club as this will allow viewers to click your badge to link through to this Kayak Club.

hvCzAxu.png      https://i.imgur.com/hvCzAxu.png

Please contact me if you have any questions or need assistance.

To: @Pds314, @swjr-swis, @purpleivan, @Klapaucius, @Castille7, @TheFlyingKerman, @Smokey the Bear, @fulgur, @Koolkei, @Alienwall, @SuicidalInsanity, @oAsAo, @Chequers, @Chryssalid 8492, @Retro Starship@Paaaad.

Edited by Hotel26

4 hours ago, Hotel26 said:

A Communique from the Board of Kayak Club to All Esteemed Members.

As a provisional first step, resulting from an initiative by His Inimitable Smokey the Bear, Kayak Club membership badges have now been established.

As a Member of Kayak Club, you are entitled to use this badge, if you wish, e.g. in your signature line.  it is possible in the future, that a graded line of merit badges will be defined and awarded; so this badge is issued on the understanding that it may be upgraded at some later time.

My grateful acknowledgement to the Supreme Judges, the Honorable purpleivan and the Honorable Castille7, for graciously agreeing to waive Articles I & X in this matter.

And a very warm and sincere Thank You to Smokey; I am sure all Members will appreciate your initiative in this matter, and with special mention also of artistic contribution from purpleivan.

Simply go to your name in the top-right of a page and navigate via it to account settings and thence Signature to edit your Signature line.  Paste this link below into your signature at the point you wish it to appear.  (I do strongly recommend also, that you right-click the image, once it appears and Edit it to set the Link URL also to: https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/190112-kayak-club as this will allow viewers to click your badge to link through to this Kayak Club.

hvCzAxu.png      https://i.imgur.com/hvCzAxu.png

Please contact me if you have any questions or need assistance.

To: @Pds314, @swjr-swis, @purpleivan, @Klapaucius, @Castille7, @TheFlyingKerman, @Smokey the Bear, @fulgur, @Koolkei, @Alienwall, @SuicidalInsanity, @oAsAo, @Chequers, @Chryssalid 8492, @Retro Starship@Paaaad.

That looks great! I love the design but ... those are canoe paddles. :o

Edited by Klapaucius

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.