Kayak Club

So I just looked at the OP, and I noticed I'm marked as having submitted Saddle Mountain. I submitted Null Bay, not Saddle Mountain. Also, I have provided screenshots - try looking at my post on the last page again. They were there when I looked at a different computer. If not, they should be right through the link below, which I have also added to the bottom of the original post..

https://photos.app.goo.gl/9ZsBWUHCoezUKhBY8

On 5/11/2020 at 3:09 AM, Klapaucius said:

those are canoe paddles

Just refresh everyone's memories that "kayak" is a Kerbal word meaning (and I do quote from Wiktionary.org.kerb): "kayak: a canoe, kayak or hollowed-out log ... with any method of propulsion from paddle all the way up to multiple Whiplashes."

Questions?

Edited by Hotel26

9 hours ago, Paaaad said:

having submitted Saddle Mountain

Thank you kindly for now having submitted the images.

As Null Bay is very close to another recorded Landmark (referred to by you as "Saddle Mountain"), the Judges will confer to render a decision.  Stay tuned.

Edited by Hotel26

1 hour ago, Hotel26 said:

Just refresh everyone's memories that "kayak" is a Kerbal word meaning (and I do quote from Wiktionary.org.kerb): "kayak: a canoe, kayak or hollowed-out log"... with any method of propulsion from paddle all the way up to multiple Whiplashes.

Questions?

To be fair, those paddles could also be used by rafters.

The difference is that canoe and raft paddles have one blade while kayak paddles have two. Referring to your Kerbal definition above, I would argue that the difference is that the canoe uses only one blade or Whiplash, while the kayak will have two blades or Whiplashes. I would also imagine that on Kerbin the word is Kanoe.

I'm a whitewater kayaker in real life (I even made a film about it).  So of course I have to be pedantic about it :cool:

52 minutes ago, Klapaucius said:

I'm a whitewater kayaker in real life (I even made a film about it).  So of course I have to be pedantic about it

The force of your reason in this matter does a power of justice to the Dining Room of the Halls of Kayak Club.  We yield!  Well done.

Having rather nothing else to argue about, the boys and I decided to toodle off over the horizon with a picnic feast for consumption.

ztRBgSe.png

We wanted to bag ourselves some Scenery...

Spoiler

The flight there

pojSdM9.png

OiEuG5g.png

Molar Valley

cFRYFkJ.png

Setting up the approach

34OGAke.png

Careful.  Careful.

9jA4AvV.png

OK, easy does it...

8x8bBHD.png

Spoiler

We've arrived!  Who's hungry?!

bkERHfO.png

We all are!!  From the left: Jack[1], Wernher, Jebediah, Hotel26, Bill, Bob, Scott[2] Kerman.

Luncheon Ledge!!  (Tip of the hat to @Chequers)

m53qI4C.png

[1][2] Secret Service

Edited by Hotel26

13 hours ago, Hotel26 said:

Thank you kindly for now having submitted the images.

As Null Bay is very close to another recorded Landmark (referred to by you as "Saddle Mountain"), the Judges will confer to render a decision.  Stay tuned.

No, no. I submitted Null Bay- Saddle Mountain is a sub-landmark at best.

Summer flew to this location blindfolded, making many circuitous and unnecessary turns as a precondition for being allowed to visit it at all. As such, she was unable to obtain any documentation of the route. You get no further info on where it is than what she could obtain with permission on the island itself and the relevant info from the aircraft's avionics.

This unusual lake island has been deemed Airstrip Sandbar for its unusually perfect size and shape as a runway, relatively flat terrain, and almost perfect east-west alignment.
3E0b7bp.png

Several shots taken of the aircraft. She was permitted to take these so that she would have evidence the communications were not staged.
lEwIA34.png
uqKmLRi.png
l0MAMb6.png

Measuring the length of the island. Full power at a prop pitch that means I stay near 9.0 m/s. The island comes out to 1485 m. Call it 1500 for the length of the plane. + or - 50 meters maybe.
0KuV6q1.png
X7zBh58.png

The island is NOT visible as anything meaningful in Kerbal maps. Nor is it visible in map view, or in the source imagery used by Kerbal maps, or in the tracking station.

Edited by Pds314

@Chequers, I have (partially) updated scores and inserted Lake Omaroo and the name for Null Bay (@Paaaad).

I don't believe I've tallied your score for Lake Omaroo as yet, until I find the other visitors, but I believe you are likely owed 3 points.  (It will not be forgotten; and apologies for the unseemly delay.)

Edited by Hotel26

Summer decided to pay a visit to the Great Barrier Reef. It was not especially easy to find, and is surprisingly huge and shallow. Summer estimated the reef at three thousand meters in length and width.

She brought two probes with her for measuring depth. The first probe landed at 19 meters below sealevel. The second at 14, but a shallower area was found just 4 meters below sea level by maneuvering the probe. There are other reefs nearby, but none as large as this one, and they appear to much further below the surface.

Target sighted.
xeM2cNq.png

Diving at the reef.
4UUc5uH.png

A bit of a rough landing.
OT14pwa.png

First probe.
hoJwtsD.png

Going off to investigate odd underwater groundscatter. It ran out of fuel before reaching said groundscatter.
huHZaSI.png

Second probe.
5UJVhvp.png

Migrating to the nearby peak. It's within 4 meters of sealevel!
3wjOlXj.png

Edited by Pds314

On 5/11/2020 at 11:25 AM, Hotel26 said:

Just refresh everyone's memories that "kayak" is a Kerbal word meaning (and I do quote from Wiktionary.org.kerb): "kayak: a canoe, kayak or hollowed-out log"... with any method of propulsion from paddle all the way up to multiple Whiplashes.

"canoe, kayak or hollowed out log... up to multiple Whiplashes." that sounds like a challenge :)

Ok, so a kayak eh, one with Whiplashes... how about this fine coffin, er I mean kayak.

Kayak shape (kind of) and not one, but two whiplashes, now just to fire her up and...

qgiWUsF.png

ah... it seems like this boat has a slight stability issue even before firing those two jet fuelled trouble makers.

Spoiler

aExMvNA.png

Well, shame to let them go to waste.

Spoiler

cHWgYvO.png

But no, that was no kayak.

Wings... that's what's needed to keep upright and ready to set sail across the briney sea. Ok, this does look like a plane that's ditched, but I assure you it's not, it's a fine ocean going kayak.

Spoiler

hZoq9FS.png

Weeeeell... until it inevitably explodes once it settles on the surface.

dew7tBu.png

In the midst of the chaos, the cockpit, with Jeb in it, seems to be making a bid for orbit.

Spoiler

eTNwCUX.png

Jeb, as usual, is quietly unconcerned at his current predicament.

Spoiler

jp8RePB.png

Ok, not wings then, how about some nice tubes to keep this tub afloat.

Ah yes, the smell of the sea air and the burning jet fuel... it's why we get up in the morning, no?

hNeo2Qb.png

But this design too seems to have issues that result in it taking a trip to the scrap yard.

The attempt that followed this one, with a slightly modified design ended with KSP crashing with a"Fatal Error", which nicely sums up Jebs experience this evening.

Spoiler

JUmfcBc.png

So... you know what's a really good boat, the Coastal Cruiser from the Kerbin Sorta-Circumnavigation. So how does that look with some Whiplashes crudely attached.

Like this... cool and flamey.

WLiuI99.png

Bob up back in the rover is enjoying his new high octane view.

Spoiler

PLxgPep.png

But how quick is it... well, it's actually slower than the Coastal Cruiser with its single Wheelsey.

So, what if it's stripped down to a single Whiplash, surely that's more kayak than a single Wheesley.

The answer to that again is no, by about 2m/s it's still slower than the original boat.

U4kGfpF.png

So I guess if I'm going for some kayaking, it's back to the original and best.

KnF25K7.png

Edited by purpleivan

2 hours ago, purpleivan said:

Ok, so a kayak eh, one with Whiplashes... how about this fine coffin, er I mean kayak.

Kayak shape (kind of) and not one, but two whiplashes, now just to fire her up and...

qgiWUsF.png

ah... it seems like this boat has a slight stability issue even before firing those two jet fuelled trouble makers.

Hide contents

aExMvNA.png

Well, shame to let them go to waste.

Hide contents

cHWgYvO.png

But no, that was no kayak.

Wings... that's what's needed to keep upright and ready to set sail across the briney sea. Ok, this does look like a plane that's ditched, but I assure you it's not, it's a fine ocean going kayak.

Hide contents

hZoq9FS.png

Weeeeell... until it inevitably explodes once it settles on the surface.

dew7tBu.png

In the midst of the chaos, the cockpit, with Jeb in it, seems to be making a bid for orbit.

Hide contents

eTNwCUX.png

Jeb, as usual, is quietly unconcerned at his current predicament.

Hide contents

jp8RePB.png

Ok, not wings then, how about some nice tubes to keep this tub afloat.

Ah yes, the smell of the sea air and the burning jet fuel... it's why we get up in the morning, no?

hNeo2Qb.png

But this design too seems to have issues that result in it taking a trip to the scrap yard.

The attempt that followed this one, with a slightly modified design ended with KSP crashing with a"Fatal Error", which nicely sums up Jebs experience this evening.

Hide contents

JUmfcBc.png

So... you know what's a really good boat, the Coastal Cruiser from the Kerbin Sorta-Circumnavigation. So how does that look with some Whiplashes crudely attached.

Like this... cool and flamey.

WLiuI99.png

Bob up back in the rover is enjoying his new high octane view.

Hide contents

PLxgPep.png

But how quick is it... well, it's actually slower than the Coastal Cruiser with its single Wheelsey.

So, what if it's stripped down to a single Whiplash, surely that's more kayak than a single Wheesley.

The answer to that again is no, by about 2m/s it's still slower than the original boat.

U4kGfpF.png

So I guess if I'm going for some kayaking, it's back to the original and best.

KnF25K7.png

That's a nice boat, although I will point out that something a bit more like my M-9 Axolotl flying boat with a fairing as the main float could probably get pretty fast as long as it doesn't end up pushing the nose underwater. And definitely doesn't need Wheesleys and Whiplashes worth of thrust to do so.

Edited by Pds314

In fact, even with one Juno as a powersource, it still goes 41 44 47 meters per second when correctly piloted. And can still turn at a relatively useable 7 degrees per second sustained at 23 m/s.

yXfOmYA.png

Edited by Pds314

Let's not even discuss the more hideous abuses of fairings as boat hulls... suffice to say, they're extremely overpowered under the right circumstances.

OExpfGr.png

Edited by Pds314

40 minutes ago, Pds314 said:

Let's not even discuss the more hideous abuses of fairings as boat hulls... suffice to say, they're extremely overpowered under the right circumstances.

Fairings you say... extremely overpowered you say.

I must look into that :)

Certainly for speed the de-planed M-9 Axolotl has the Coastal Cruiser beat, but what about facilities. My kerbals can sit out on deck on fancy garden furniture, watching the sun go down, then the next day take a trip in the buggy. The crew also tells me that there's a pool table and restaurant grade kitchen inside, but I've not seen it.

6 hours ago, purpleivan said:

Fairings you say... extremely overpowered you say.

I must look into that :)

Certainly for speed the de-planed M-9 Axolotl has the Coastal Cruiser beat, but what about facilities. My kerbals can sit out on deck on fancy garden furniture, watching the sun go down, then the next day take a trip in the buggy. The crew also tells me that there's a pool table and restaurant grade kitchen inside, but I've not seen it.

Fair point. But wouldn't they rather do that in category 5 hurricane winds? Probably not. But at least they could have the option to.

Also can you land an Aeris 3A on it?
qrjiig9.png

This light carrier goes 73 m/s top speed. (not pictured). And it can go 25 m/s at about 5% power draw. (<0.01 u of oxidizer per second)
AH3gl86.png

Edited by Pds314

It was at this moment that he knew... he messed up. Actually somehow Jeb and bill have no concern about the events that are currently unfolding... Perhaps they know that the ship has ladders under the crew compartments?
2QjlyDg.png

Edited by Pds314

3 hours ago, Pds314 said:

Your super-carrier

Woooaaaah!    Hyperbole!!!!  I love it.

I waaaaaant oooooone...

By the way (while I am here), I really savored the trip reports from @Chequers (Three Sages) and @Pds314 (Great Barrier Reef).  Very professional stuff.  Well done, chaps!

14 minutes ago, Hotel26 said:
  3 hours ago, Pds314 said:

Your super-carrier

I waaaaaant oooooone...

By the way (while I am here), I really savored the trip reports from @Chequers (Three Sages) and @Pds314 (Great Barrier Reef).  Very professional stuff.  Well done, chaps!

TY, I wouldn't call it a supercarrier. More of a light carrier. The first attempt I made at a carrier today had a 130 m deck. This one is more like 80 depending on what counts, but it's also much less likely to randomly detonate upon looking at it funny.

My earlier design, much larger floats and powered by 4x goliath instead of 100 parts of prop engines, but it often explodes when being physics loaded, bumped, or repositioned using cheats.
N9C4zH7.png

Edited by Pds314

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.