Kayak Club

3 hours ago, Akagi said:

a badge for Kayak Club members

Yes.  See my signature and you may R-click it and Copy Image Link to get the link.  By posting this challenge, you are qualified (as I remember Ye Ancient Law)...

Exploration Units have been scrambled.  (Natalorf drew the short straw this very early morning.)

Edited by Hotel26

One thing to note about landmarks, @Akagi, is that certain (smallish) features vary from user to user depending upon Terrain Detail Settings.  This lake may be bigger or just a patch of dirt for others.  (The mountains in the background help, as Natalorf was able to identify those from the general search area.  She did report a likely lake location, but quite a lot larger than yours.  Same general shape.)

In general, for beginners, it's a good thing to first go exploring and find the landmarks that others have posted and have been successfully discovered by explorers. But nevertheless, if you don't get a successful discovery for this one, do have a whack at posting another one!

Edited by Hotel26

11 hours ago, Hotel26 said:

One thing to note about landmarks, @Akagi, is that certain (smallish) features vary from user to user depending upon Terrain Detail Settings.  This lake may be bigger or just a patch of dirt for others.  (The mountains in the background help, as Natalorf was able to identify those from the general search area.  She did report a likely lake location, but quite a lot larger than yours.  Same general shape.)

In general, for beginners, it's a good thing to first go exploring and find the landmarks that others have posted and have been successfully discovered by explorers. But nevertheless, if you don't get a successful discovery for this one, do have a whack at posting another one!

Was it by the Cove Launchsite?

On 4/16/2022 at 7:38 AM, Akagi said:

Turn to HDG 032.

Good to see you have the badge!  Welcome, Intrepid Kayaker.

I'll ask a question you are within your rights to decline to answer.  I also note, for the record, and all members, that I have disqualified myself from this particular challenge.

Here's the question: I interpreted that screenshot (with gear down) as "landed".  That makes a difference to locations that could and could not view the mountains in the background.  The question: "landed or not?".

(I had the opportunity to run out there (wherever it is) in 1.12.3 tonight in a "green" save -- things look pretty much the same.)

Edited by Hotel26

2 hours ago, Hotel26 said:

Good to see you have the badge!  Welcome, Intrepid Kayaker.

I'll ask a question you are within your rights to decline to answer.  I also note, for the record, and all members, that I have disqualified myself from this particular challenge.

Here's the question: I interpreted that screenshot (with gear down) as "landed".  That makes a difference to locations that could and could not view the mountains in the background.  The question: "landed or not?".

(I had the opportunity to run out there (wherever it is) in 1.12.3 tonight in a "green" save -- things look pretty much the same.)

Not landed, I was slowing down to take the screenshot.

In fact, I was traveling around 400 meters off the ground and nearly supersonic in that shot

All right.  I will go fly out to the location I thought it might be and take a shot and show it here.  You can confirm the location or not, but it won't count as a "find", since I am disqualified.  But it might encourage others to go look for it if it shows your landmark is indeed identifiable.  Expect that within the hour.

On 4/16/2022 at 1:38 AM, Akagi said:

xnUiAxm.png

26 minutes ago, Hotel26 said:

I will go fly out to the location I thought it might be and take a shot and show it here.  You can confirm the location or not, but it won't count as a "find", since I am disqualified.  But it might encourage others to go look for it if it shows your landmark is indeed identifiable.

Might this be the place?

eFIkluX.png

Terrain detail is different due to 1.3.1, but the outline of both the lake and the background mountains are pretty much identical.

2 minutes ago, swjr-swis said:

Might this be the place?

eFIkluX.png

Terrain detail is different due to 1.3.1, but the outline of both the lake and the background mountains are pretty much identical.

Correct!

When KSP2 comes out, I'm going to build a GIANT Kayak Club explorer ship and put it in an ARaRCO (Advanced Rask and Rusk Cycler Orbit) so we can Kayak Club on Rask and Rusk!

18 minutes ago, Akagi said:

Correct!

Jolly well. In that case, I wish to nominate @Akagi to be added to the roster of intrepid explorers whose club affiliation shall not be named or discussed, and request the awardance of the appropriate amount of pointage.

Have you decided by what name we shall henceforth know this quaint little lake? :D

Edited by swjr-swis
to been or not to been

3 minutes ago, swjr-swis said:

Jolly well. In that case, I wish to nominate @Akagi to be added to the roster of intrepid explorers whose club affiliation shall not be named or discussed, and request the awardance of the appropriate amount of pointage.

Have you been decided by what name we shall henceforth know this quaint little lake? :D

I was thinking Explodium Sea, just to confuse the Kerbals at the Kerbal Astronomical Society!

8 minutes ago, swjr-swis said:

I wish to nominate @Akagi to be added to the roster of intrepid explorers

Seconded.

1 minute ago, Akagi said:

just to confuse the Kerbals at the Kerbal Astronomical Society!

That's the right attitude, old sport, and just what we're looking for in new blood!

Oh dear.  In plain sight.

y6FEW6G.jpg

On 4/20/2022 at 11:31 PM, Akagi said:

Correction: plane

I actually first wrote "in pain sight" and considered leaving it with '[sic]' because I found it funny/apt.  :)  My problem is that I thought the plane was on the ground and therefore, the lake was very small.  (It didn't occur to me that the plane was very big.)  :)

Anyway, good job, Akagi!  The leaderboard will be getting updated today.

UPDATE: it has been updated, 22-04-22.

Edited by Hotel26

50 minutes ago, TheFlyingKerman said:

I've got another one or is this place well known? No mod used. It's so close that you can easily walk there from KSC. It just hides in plain sight.

5Aq6t8.png

Val has some fond memories of that little place.

4pcV6Pg.png

Val also found this old snap of her visit to what she calls, with a mysterious grin, 'the Ginormous Twins'.

sw2YfZO.png

Hint: Things are not as they seem. This pad is next level, yo.

Edited by swjr-swis
hint

There's also this very temporary feature my kerbals named the 'Bank of Einstein-Rosen' (which incidentally may actually explain where kerbals come from and how they came to be on an otherwise uninhabited planet in a barren solar system):

Hint: Thinly veiled by the sands of time, facilitated by its secondary nature, soon to be washed away by the tides of entertainment.

Edit: Hmm, are youtube links suddenly no longer embedded? Just shows a non-interactable black panel for me.

Gif-ified imgur link then:

4NG3tT2.gif

Bah, doesn't seem to work either, just gives me a still image. The interwebs are making me sad today.

video is at this link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MsWeC9B3mo

Edited by swjr-swis
"where's the kaboom? there was supposed to be an earth-shattering kaboom!"

Ok one more then.

Sally calls this The Philadelphia Experi-truss.  o.O

tZab1FM.png

Hint: Obviously on KSC premises, but... you can't walk the walk, unless you retier the career.

rVIvvRX.png

Same place, moments before the scientists hit the switch...

Edited by swjr-swis
additional pic, other angle

20 hours ago, Hotel26 said:

Qualified!

Explored!

@TheFlyingKermanWhat be she named?  (The place; not the kerbonaut.)

Von Kerman Outlook sounds appropriate.

19 hours ago, swjr-swis said:

Val also found this old snap of her visit to what she calls, with a mysterious grin, 'the Ginormous Twins'.

sw2YfZO.png

Hint: Things are not as they seem. This pad is next level, yo.

Here you go

5LJdlP.png

22 hours ago, swjr-swis said:

Ok one more then.

tZab1FM.png

Hint: Obviously on KSC premises, but... you can't walk the walk, unless you retier the career.

rVIvvRX.png

Ow0

22 hours ago, swjr-swis said:

Ok one more then.

tZab1FM.png

rVIvvRX.png

What I take that to be: a level 2 building

I do hereby, hand behind back, fingers crossed (rather ambiguously), dutifully submit  the following to His Honorable Magistrate, Dr Swis, for rulings.

qOBwk8D.jpg    OUKm5GW.jpg    PwyvHZ1.jpg

1. requires some further explanation.  As I drove the Invader onto what I (anyway) thought was the "Bank of Einstein-Rosen", the color kept changing (that's the funny thing about relativity), so I wasn't quite sure which end I was at.  I may have taken the snap at the wrong end.  Or, maybe it was Doppler Shift.  I think, in principle, therefore it is not possible to be certain.
  2. When you live far from a river system, you can never get enough, water towers.
  3. that is, admittedly, a suspiciously high-fangled conveyance, foreground mid-picture...

Anyway, the above hereby purported to be Exhibit A (Bank of Einstein-Rosen), Exh. B (Trinormous Towers), Exh. C (Philadelphia Experi-truss)

(All snaps taken in my 1.11.2 Lab sandbox)

Edited by Hotel26

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.