Kayak Club

6 hours ago, Hotel26 said:

I do hereby, hand behind back, fingers crossed (rather ambiguously), dutifully submit  the following to His Honorable Magistrate, Dr Swis, for rulings.

qOBwk8D.jpg    OUKm5GW.jpg    PwyvHZ1.jpg

1 and 3 unequivocally discovered. I can't confirm 2 though.

1. I think the wormhole evaporated when they redid Kerbin's textures, so that may be why you don't see it anymore in 1.11.2. Although on mine it still looks very sandy. But the shape of that patch is unique and spot on.
  2. I do recognise the background, you're in the correct vicinity. I do however not recognise those specific towers. I went and loaded up 1.11.2 and went back and forth in time to see in what epoch those existed... but I can't find them. Any chance those are a residue of Kerbal Constructs?
  3. The only place on Kerbin with that particular structure.

11 minutes ago, swjr-swis said:

Any chance those are a residue of Kerbal Constructs?

Bingo!!

I don't play Science/Contract.  So the only way to do this economically was to "construct a set", like Hollywood.  And, yes, Kerbal Konstructs.

The "set" was 1-2 km West of the R9 threshold, on the same campus ("green").  It's now gone, packed up.

Your verdict, PASS/FAIL, on this, respecting whatever you think others may feel about it.

(I got caught because that Inner Imp couldn't help adding that third tower!  :) It was fun playing.)

Edited by Hotel26

4 minutes ago, Hotel26 said:

I don't play Science/Contract.  So the only way to do this economically was to "construct a set", like Hollywood.

Making it too hard.

I shall read from the Book of Instructions, chapter two, verses nineteen through twenty-one:

And the Jeb spake, saying, 'First shalt thou start a new career, granting thyself the maximum starting funds. Then shalt thou upgrade one facility, no more, no less. One shall be the number thou shalt upgrade, and the number of the upgrading shall be one. Two shalt thou not upgrade, neither upgrade thou zero, excepting that thou then proceed to one. Three is right out. Once the number one, being the only upgrade, be reached, then spawnest thou thy intrepid kerbal, who, being within sight of the Holy Twins of Ginormity, shall explore it.'

Takes all of one minute maybe. Just don't let Jeb start on about the sloths and stuff.

You had me at "First shalt thou...  granting thyself the maximum starting funds"

not to mention that Holy Grenade of Antioch I see you are holding behind your back -- with the pin drawn.

(This isn't going to get me hooked on "Contracts" or something, is it?  I wouldn't like that.)

Edited by Hotel26

Here we go then.

ALOSbiS.jpg    AVOuwUU.jpg    w5xwtMD.jpg

"I hereby certify I did this the honorable, correct way" [except for stealing about 1.5 mil kerbux to pay for it].  :)

It took me 15 minutes just to find out how to upgrade a facility (R-click) and I knew I'd accidentally seen it before many times.  Sheesh.

18 minutes ago, swjr-swis said:

Thou art hereby anointed in the Holy Order of Antioch

Well, congratulations to you also, King Solomon, as your 30 ducats are in the mail.  Talents?  Shekels?  Ah, yes, "points".

On 4/21/2022 at 3:18 AM, TheFlyingKerman said:

I've got another one or is this place well known? No mod used. It's so close that you can easily walk there from KSC. It just hides in plain sight.

5Aq6t8.png

Got it!

8dncvPb.png

17 hours ago, Akagi said:

Found the Nile during an SSTO test

That does look like 0/20E on the equator (near a place I call "Alexandria") and, if so, that would, most unhappily, not be the Nile.  (I will ensconce myself in the Kayak Club Map Room for a couple of enjoyable hours to make a determination.)  More in a day or two, as I am currently vacationing in Denmark.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Watermel00n said:

I call it Lake Pathetic.

And I call that an excellent first try.

Unfortunately however, your spoiler makes your location too obvious.

Spoiler

(And yes, devious Kayak Club members make it a rule to open all spoilers, envelopes, drawers and wallets before embarking upon any momentous mission; and when I say "devious", I mean all of us.  We explorers, you see.)

You opened this, didn't you?  :)  You're well on your way then to being a first-class, tip-top explorer!

• 6 months later...

@SkyFall2489 well, I have a suggestion.

Why not try the eponymous Kayak River?

There is enough(?) information in the link to attempt to navigate there -- plus the snapshots.

Please post a photo when you get there and you will be inducted into the Kayak Club!

Spoiler

Or try the following directions for fun:

• depart at dawn/early morning
  • fly on a heading of 110 until reaching a group of large/small islands
  • turn south and head toward the snow-capped mountain peaks
  • there ye be!  identify Kayak River.
  • take some snaps and attempt to mimic any of those posted in the link

Edited by Hotel26

2 hours ago, Hotel26 said:

There is enough(?) information in the link to attempt to navigate there -- plus the snapshots.

Please post a photo when you get there and you will be inducted into the Kayak Club!

Reveal hidden contents

Thanks! I'll try it out tomorrow. Landing my dropship on those hills will be fun.

On 12/9/2022 at 5:04 PM, Hotel26 said:

Reveal hidden contents

I think I made it!

Dropship didn't do well in the thin atmosphere near the mountaintop, crashed but the kerbal survived.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1JilbBPspyAuVK7z6W1Hv1rUh_9uu104HZ8zKWyd7q1w/edit?usp=sharing

1 hour ago, SkyFall2489 said:

I think I made it!

Welcome to Kayak Club, SkyFall2489!

If you would like to try another destination and you pick one that has had less than 5 recorded Visitors and you succeed, you will be recorded on the Leader Board.

• 7 months later...
4 hours ago, Hotel26 said:

I came across this today (and thought I'd post it here rather than in WDYDIKT) but I'm not submitting it as a landmark.  Uhura's Rock, it is.

B3OLwon.jpg

Looks to me like a giant launch ramp.

• 2 months later...

Just posting this one for posterity, as well.  (Not a landmark, since I'm giving the coordinates.)

0.25S 27.7E

Diamond Lake is easy to miss.  The surrounding grasslands are elevated 600m higher than it.  Discovered it on an equatorial ASR sweep for spent boosters and the like.

nZ2TB4M.jpg

Edited by Hotel26

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.