Kayak Club

Venice Beach or Venice Island?:  (it's gonna look suspiciously like a hydrofoil ad for the Rich & Famous, but hey! it's only 18 minutes from HQ.)

xoX1r8j.png

I've used it in the past for short VTOL rides, while testing...

EJ1m66u.png   oBQY5r0.png

A recent post about "Bridge City" reminded me of this location...

...I'm gonna call it Venice Beach.

Edited by Hotel26

2 hours ago, Hotel26 said:

Venice Beach or Venice Island?:  (it's gonna look suspiciously like a hydrofoil ad for the Rich & Famous, but hey! it's only 18 minutes from HQ.)

xoX1r8j.png

I've used it in the past for short VTOL rides, while testing...

EJ1m66u.png   oBQY5r0.png

Always fancied visiting Venice:

Spoiler

0XDUTyb.png

On supercruise, it's under 2 minutes away.

EQf4DLk.png

On my graphics detail settings, it's actually two islands.

7WwZCqe.png

Landed on the smaller one. Since the big one is Venice, I'll call this one Murano.

qSKWvrG.png

And claim it of course. For the Empire. -_-

Edited by swjr-swis
couple more pics

Cape Stinger is looking for a worthy and somewhat philanthropic explorer to build and perhaps even man a light-tower to keep sea-faring traffic in and out of our small harbour safe.

This worthy endeavour is open to any and all who wish to become part of our picturesque seaside community. Enquiries at the beach café.

olKOd6b.png

Our little harbour could use a light-tower. Fancy the job? (light-tower not included. some assembly required.)

iilLMGH.png

Sea, beach, mountains. What more could one wish for?

SjOf04u.png

I wonder what sparked the name of this place...

Routing instructions: follow the coast west until people speak Italian. Keep going until they speak something else. Watch out for the stinger.

Edited by swjr-swis
route

Scusi.  Parli Italiano?

Xl7VtEH.png

Spoiler

Sì. Ti sei perso?  [Yes.  Are you lost?]

aP6i7rh.png

Spoiler

"Apparentemente così!  Puoi dirmi come arrivare a Cape Stinger?"  [Do you know where Cape Stinger is?]

"No scusa..."  [No, mate, unless perhaps it's further upstream on the River Effluent...?]

Spoiler

:(  :(  :(

Edited by Hotel26

6 hours ago, Hotel26 said:

Sì. Ti sei perso?  [Yes.  Are you lost?]

aP6i7rh.png

I do think you may be lost. You may have overly complicated your search.

Perhaps I was unclear in my instructions: the reference to Italian refered to the recent discovery of Venice (beach, apparently). I didn't expect you to go look for (and find!) Little Italy on the Kerbin map. :D

Does that bit of extra info help with parsing the route?

5 minutes ago, swjr-swis said:

Does that bit of extra info help with parsing the route?

Well, my first instincts were that (like any Mighty Explorer) I knew exactly the location, albeit by a different name.  But that location has no offshore island.

And when I set the Terrain Detail level up, I run out of memory in a few minutes.  Untenable, alas.

So I will take a gamble (that Kerbin is not 'flat') and plant my light-house.  And see what verdict your High Council renders...

Edited by Hotel26

10 hours ago, Hotel26 said:

Well, my first instincts were that (like any Mighty Explorer) I knew exactly the location, albeit by a different name.  But that location has no offshore island.

And when I set the Terrain Detail level up, I run out of memory in a few minutes.  Untenable, alas.

I lowered my graphics detail to default and took another gander over to my landmark. Looks much the same. Then I pulled detail down to low. Does look different, but would still be somewhat recognizable. In both cases though, the offshore island remains. So I would say you were not at the right location.

O5TJ0t6.pngtaDPEqw.pngnnnHAQC.png

So Little Italy is a new landmark then. Any routing instructions you can give? I have a plane on standby...

On 2/16/2020 at 8:40 AM, swjr-swis said:

Any routing instructions you can give?

I searched the west coast of the KSC peninsula.  Start on a nor-nor-westerly heading.  (But beware of the Dragon Stinger at the northern end of that sea.)

Edited by Hotel26

For this Commission, I dug out my old Tower Cruise ship:  [click & arrows for slide show]

qeFxFzK.png   eHy8QZc.png

dOy3rWA.png   AWNQbvS.png

It's a control tower, but it can easily serve as a lighthouse.

No more ship wrecks on Cape Stinger!

Edited by Hotel26

5 hours ago, Hotel26 said:

No more ship wrecks on Cape Stinger!

@Hotel26 for mayor (and lighthouse operator)!

(position contracted in nonnegotiable terms of 4x50 years. harbor and/or lighthouse may be haunted visited by souls lost at sea under terms of former mayors. lighthouse nonrefundable. enquiries at the beach café.)

@Hotel26 Val and Lodzer made a trip to Heavenly Valley this afternoon.

The journey was made in the Tiny Twosome with Val in the pilot seat of course and Ludzer in the back. Even with his helmet securely attached, he wasn't to happy about taking to the skies in this thing.

Ok... some assistence from the F12 menu might have been required to get it there, as this plane has nowhere near that kind of range.

lAhf0Du.png

I think this is a similar shot to the views of the lake that's been posted before.

tlsFy1h.png

Val spotted a small sandy patch stretching out into the lake and decided to try and land on it.

Spoiler

VUHI5EY.png

But first she wanted to make a low pass to check it out.

Spoiler

OZtb7h3.png

Satisfied that it would be suitable for a landing, she put the Tiny Twosome into a tight turn.

cx5whis.png

Then brought it in low over the lake for a landing on the beach.

Spoiler

EwjVHmC.png

Well... replacing landing with splashdown and beach with lake might be more accurate.

Spoiler

wHac8q4.png

But with a little jet power Val soon had the plane rolling out of the breakwater.

Spoiler

tm2P8xk.png

The pair then left their aircraft for a look around.

Val realised that this now left them stranded on the beach, as climbing back into the Tiny Twosome was too gruesome to contemplate.

gfS7kit.png

Never fear Val... Lodzer Kerman to the rescue, using the awesome power of jumping under the nose of the aircraft, to tip it on its rear end, boarding is made easy.

Spoiler

Ryq3OM2.png

Once her copilot had strolled up the wing to his seat, Val followed him to take her seat up front.

Spoiler

xZXcdsz.png

With the plane righted (some jet power with the brakes on tipped it up) and turned to face inland, Val hit the throttle and tore up the beach.

Spoiler

lllJ38A.png

This screenshot doesn't really do justice to Val and Lodzer's near death experience. The altimeter shows 1m, but a moment before it must have been only 1/3 that distance from the ground. Just after takeoff, the plane rolled forwards just as the gear was raised as it zoomed up the incline of the beach.

Missed the ground by centimetres .

IxShXXp.png

But Val sees that as all part of the fun, even if Lodzer didn't quite agree.

Spoiler

UtDKO2L.png

Well, another trip over, time to say goodbye to Heavenly Valley.

Spoiler

5XbhBWH.png

Edited by purpleivan

21 minutes ago, purpleivan said:

But first she wanted to make a low pass to check it out.

Great job!  Because the whole time I've been going to the place, I've never found any definitively satisfactory landing sites.  I never thought to check out the beach.  So, depending upon how long it is...!!

2 hours ago, Hotel26 said:

Great job!  Because the whole time I've been going to the place, I've never found any definitively satisfactory landing sites.  I never thought to check out the beach.  So, depending upon how long it is...!!

The Tiny Twosome takes off at a bit of 50m/s and gets up to that speed quickly, as the Juno isn't pushing much, which makes it a useful landing site.

This place is too beautiful to languish any longer in obscurity -- and it has a hidden feature (that both pilots and skaters just love): I present, Lake Zamboni.

6l5fe35.png   lVGjf2J.png

The directions to find Zamboni Field are concise: 70 20 41N

Good luck, and pack a pair of skates!

22 hours ago, Koolkei said:

this thread just made me want to go at any random direction

Bravo, Koolkei, that's the spirit!!  Go explore, by all means.  Find beautiful places or sights you think maybe no one else before You has seen.

And then make a little adventure/puzzle on how to get there that makes it fun for others to retrace your steps.

The feature you've found is sometimes (I think) called the K'Yangtze.  It's probably TOO significant on a global scale to term as a "discovery", but go explore it and you might find some striking locations along its way!?

Here's your second image:

pEuqTp0.png

Let us know what you find!

4 hours ago, Koolkei said:

Knile as in, it's big like the Nile river, and 'discovered' by koolkei?

I like it!

4 hours ago, Koolkei said:

(i never even took a closer look on kerbin's surface much before)

Koolkei.  I think you are going to need an airplane!!  Welcome to Kayak Club!

either way, im gonna need another plane to explore that, the last plane i went there with was a short range high altitude plane. wasn't great for low altitude.

crashed soon after i discovered the place :P

either way. i like it. but i want to change a bit

KeiNile :)

so i started from near the mountain

Spoiler

Sh1hpNT.png

took a break and some selfie

and will now start traversing the river

starting, and passing this swamp area

Spoiler

DjLwfWZ.png

some stiff cliff

Spoiler

yjywbaa.png

and here i am at the end of the river.

Spoiler

RlgbvTX.png

a mountain range on one side, and the ocean on the other. nice!

u9isd4U.png

but also... unfortunately, the end of my plane

hTR6yPg.png

did 3 separate landing attempts and kept being unsatisfied with that i can't get a flat landing area to take a nice pic on.... ended up stalling on the 4th landing and now she's stranded

q9wldqc.png

yeah she didn't looked too happy

Edited by Koolkei

6 hours ago, Koolkei said:

so, i want to try making a boatplane so it's more versatile. anyone know of good boat mods?

If you're just wanting to make a plane that can take off and land in the water, it's possible to do that stock.

This is the Pelican, that I made to top up the Coastal Cruiser with fuel on the last leg of the Kerbin Sorta-Circumnavigation.

HjK0mTg.jpg

cjCFU5A.jpg

Yes... that's fuel delivered via the command seat.

JMW834l.jpg

Or you could go with a boat that carries a plane (well 2)... and a rover... and a minisub.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.