[DEFUNCT] AD ASTRA --- Check the latest post and update!

G'th

So I have a problem with ad astra I installed it like the read me file said but it makes the water orange but all the clouds appear but when I take off ad astra the water goes back to normal so I know its not some of my mods

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, SpaceFace545 said:

This mod is kinda weird and I think it’s pretty much been abandoned 

aww man that sucks, this looks so good but then nothing works or its all mush

plus some people get it working and we dont know how

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Oh my gosh, I NEED this for my JNSQ install!!

Quick question, will this work in 1.11.2? The mod seems pretty outdated, and I do not know if it will break my game. :P

Edited by JebNotFound

On 9/17/2021 at 11:57 AM, SpaceX_Boi said:

Quick question, will this work in 1.11.2? The mod seems pretty outdated, and I do not know if it will break my game. :P

it works fine for me, some weirdness and slow downs near jool but nothing game breaking

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
8 hours ago, alberro+ said:

Man's got something up his sleeve  :huh:

Indeed. First step is getting back into the swing of things and that'll be a pack similar to this one except much more elaborate and built for KSRSS. Then I'll likely come back and release a new version of this based on what I have planned for the other pack. 

Only a matter of time basically. Had quite a lot of time to think about what I want to do and how it can be done. 

11 minutes ago, OrbitalManeuvers said:

*small coronary*  May I ask what version of scatterer you'll be targeting?

Good question. Not quite there yet as I'm still tweaking with my own install and tracking down weird bugs I keep getting. 

I also wasn't aware there was more than one. lol

13 minutes ago, G'th said:

I also wasn't aware there was more than one. lol

Ah yes - you've been distracted by life! Well there is a great rift between scatterer 0.7 and 0.8. Basically, 0.8 broke compatibility with almost all planet packs, due to changes in how atmospheres are handled. For example, JNSQ is not compatible with Scatterer 0.8 (name casing changed, too).  

Huh, how about that. So is that a problem with configs needing to be rebuilt for each planet pack or is there something more fundamental thats breaking scatterer in conjunction with planet packs?

Generally speaking I'd prefer to push everything to be as up to date as possible, but of course if scatterer just doesn't work unless you're in stock then thats obviously not going to work. 

6 minutes ago, G'th said:

but of course if scatterer just doesn't work unless you're in stock then thats obviously not going to work.

I'm out of my depth on the details, so please allow me not to mislead you. All I know is that existing planet packs have non-starter atmosphere problems when scatterer is updated to 0.8. But since it's being developed using stock, it's working there. The author commented once that the updates shouldn't be that bad ... but that's the scatterer author. No one has taken on KSRSS that I know of. I, who knows nothing about editing scatterer configs, tried using the UI to fix some issues but alas, it was chock full of terms I'd never even heard before. I have seen comments on the JNSQ thread about people taking stabs at updating configs, but I don't know any recent status there.

If you're thinking about a new project, I would think that using Scatterer 0.8xx would be a good idea, since that's the only way you'll ever get new features now. I just don't think that KSRSS's configs will be any help as a starting point. 

Interesting. Definitely sounds like we'll be making some bespoke configs for scatterer then. :)

I don't mind; IIRC I threw them out for Ad Astra anyway, or at least threw them out just for my own install haha. 

Its not a rift. Blackrack updated Scatterer implementing new functionality and  simplified the process of creating configs but, in doing so, the syntax of the configs has changed slightly.

Most planet packs/visual packs haven't been updated because authors are either busy doing other things or don't care to update so their packs do not work with the recent versions of Scatterer. Its a shame as the new version is markedly improved.

TL;DR There's no reason to use the older versions of Scatterer over the latest unless the mod you use hasn't updated it's configs to do so.

8 hours ago, Poodmund said:

Its not a rift. Blackrack updated Scatterer implementing new functionality and  simplified the process of creating configs but, in doing so, the syntax of the configs has changed slightly.

Most planet packs/visual packs haven't been updated because authors are either busy doing other things or don't care to update so their packs do not work with the recent versions of Scatterer. Its a shame as the new version is markedly improved.

TL;DR There's no reason to use the older versions of Scatterer over the latest unless the mod you use hasn't updated it's configs to do so.

Thats what I figured  was the case. Fortunately not going to be an issue for me. :D 

Finally got my install working so once I get some playtime in I'll be going in hard. Gonna be fun.

Dev work has begun on SOL, which is linked in my signature. 

While I haven't started on it, I have an inkling to go ahead and update Ad Astra to be up to 1.12.3, or at least whatever the latest version of JNSQ is up to anyway. 

Unlike my Shuttle IVA mod from yesteryear Id rather not end up abandoning this one, particularly considering I want to do a full revamp of it in the long term using the assets I'll be developing for Sol. 

So stay tuned. From what Ive seen getting everything updated, including Scatterer, will be a breeze, so while there may not be anything new, it will at least be confirmed working, which Im sure will be appreciated if nothing else.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.