[DEFUNCT] AD ASTRA --- Check the latest post and update!

G'th

16 minutes ago, Flipper028 said:

@G'th

Ive got AA 1.7 and all its dependencies installed in a clean environment. Having an issue where all of the Eve config texture files are red so nothing shows up in game. Should these texture paths be guiding to /AstronomersVisualPack/ instead of /Ad_Astra/

Capture.jpg

Technically yes, as thats probably how I should have done it instead of having people extract folders and such. If you take the Textures folder in AVP and extract its contents into Ad Astras textures folder, then that will resolve the path issue. 

Alternatively you can also fix the paths in the mod itself. 

However, keep in mind that these textures are eventually going to be deprecated so whichever way you go, you'll only really need those textures for may be a month or so, depending on how fast I can do Sol. 

And I'm also going to be releasing a hotfix within the next hour or so which should ensure all the settings are current, and I'm going to recommend that anyone using the mod make a fresh install with that hotfixed version once its up. 

v1.7.1 is up. Should ensure that all settings for the planets are up to date and current. 

https://github.com/gthaatar/Ad_Astra/releases/tag/v1.7.1

https://spacedock.info/mod/2283/AD ASTRA

And just as reference, here is what some of the major bodies should look like: 

Moho:
RuZ4dTn.png

Eve. The washed out colors is to be expected, though not intended. This will be fixed with 2.0 after Sol. 

AFa4gqx.png

Kerbin:
cJcJigL.png

Duna:

OiwUZGD.png

Jool (another known issue, if you play with the view of Jool or go into a super low orbit, you'll see a white line appear on the horizon of Jool. This has been plaguing me forever and I can't quite nail it down):
O8KWorp.png

Laythe (the same thing happened to Laythe that I think happened to Eve, which is why Laythe is actually blue now instead of dark brownish. But luckily for Laythe, the change turned out to make it look dramatically better rather than worse)

HU51CtT.png

Lindor:

XZkVcuh.png

Huygen:

OkYbJMv.png

1 hour ago, TonyT said:

The atmosphere seems really thick and reaches really high. I play with the stock system. Did i do anything wrong? 

Well this mod is for JNSQ and that should be what you're using. And if you are using that, then yes thats normal as JNSQ is 2.5x the size of Stock. 

11 minutes ago, MoeKitsune said:

I noticed from the pictures you posted earlier that Eve looks very pale green, is that intentional?

Not really. JNSQ's Eve it seems has changed in my absence so the cloud settings are completely off. 

It will be rebuilt with 2.0, so for now we just have to deal with it as I'm not going to be making any changes to this mod until after Sol. 

12 minutes ago, G'th said:

Not really. JNSQ's Eve it seems has changed in my absence so the cloud settings are completely off. 

It will be rebuilt with 2.0, so for now we just have to deal with it as I'm not going to be making any changes to this mod until after Sol. 

Gotcha, Sol seems awesome, and I was wondering if you had any plans of adding Parallax support to Ad Astra.

1 minute ago, MoeKitsune said:

Gotcha, Sol seems awesome, and I was wondering if you had any plans of adding Parallax support to Ad Astra.

I'm not sure. I haven't tried it out yet nor do I know if JNSQ has it already or not. My main concern is that I don't want to have to replace anything JNSQ adds file wise. Configs are one thing but replacing files out right is another. 

Which is why Eve ended up breaking like it did, as what it used to look like was dependent on the irradiance files that JNSQ provides, which have obviously changed. 

@G'th I just did a fresh install of Ad Astra and had a quick look at the planets. First of all, it looks beautiful! I love it! Great job!

On Lindor I noticed an issue with the ring again, which I haven't had yesterday (with my personal edits). See image below. I don't see it in your images. But could you still double check that this isn't a general issue? It might also have to do with me having messed around in JNSQ's planetlist.cfg and restoring it might solve it. I will definitely give it a try later today.

Spoiler

screenshot277kjnq.png

Also, when I switched from Lindor in the tracking center back to the KSP center, I got a scatterer NRE spam (wouldn't stop until scene change) which I never got before. A fresh Ad Astra install was all that I did. I might have messed up something or it might be my scatterer settings, and I will probably investigate it further, but would you mind taking a peek at the message?

Spoiler

[EXC 09:34:24.880] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    scatterer.SkyNode.UpdateNode () (at <cfffef0e458b4b3d87698d7c7f3ab260>:0)
    scatterer.ProlandManager.Update () (at <cfffef0e458b4b3d87698d7c7f3ab260>:0)
    scatterer.ScattererCelestialBodiesManager.updateBody (scatterer.ScattererCelestialBody scattererCelestialBody, System.Boolean& inPqsEnabledOnScattererPlanet, System.Boolean& inUnderwater, System.Boolean& inCustomOceanEnabledOnScattererPlanet) (at <cfffef0e458b4b3d87698d7c7f3ab260>:0)
    scatterer.ScattererCelestialBodiesManager.UpdateProlandManagers () (at <cfffef0e458b4b3d87698d7c7f3ab260>:0)
    scatterer.ScattererCelestialBodiesManager.Update () (at <cfffef0e458b4b3d87698d7c7f3ab260>:0)
    scatterer.Scatterer.Update () (at <cfffef0e458b4b3d87698d7c7f3ab260>:0)
    UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
    ModuleManager.UnityLogHandle.InterceptLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
    UnityEngine.Debug:CallOverridenDebugHandler(Exception, Object)

/Edit: Ok, I've restored the original JNSQ planetlist and a fresh-out-of-the-box clean install of Ad Astra 1.7.1 in my normal game and the Lindor ring issue was still there. It seems to be more prominent looking at it from one side than the other. Also, that visual glitch in the ring is moving around in a stable orbit, so it might just be in the shadow in your screenshot. If you investigate, warp a little bit ahead and see if you get it too.

As for the NRE-spam: I didn't get it the second time. Might have been a one time issue... I don't know.

Edited by caipi

Oh motherf 

Lmao. Super easy fix on Lindor. I don't have time to upload a fix but if you go to Ad Astra > Kopernicus and open up Lindor, find the line for thickness and delete it. That will fix that. 

How that managed to still stay in is beyond me. 

And yeah IDK about that nullref spam. Might have just been a weird scatterer bug.

19 minutes ago, G'th said:

Lmao. Super easy fix on Lindor. I don't have time to upload a fix but if you go to Ad Astra > Kopernicus and open up Lindor, find the line for thickness and delete it. That will fix that. 

YES. I am not even entirely sure what that thickness value is even meant for.

Edit: Welcome back BTW! I can't wait to try this amazing pack again.

Edited by fleventeen

2 minutes ago, fleventeen said:

YES. I am not even entirely sure what that thickness value is even meant for.

Edit: Welcome back BTW! I can't wait to try this amazing pack again.

AFAIK, its supposed to let the ring have depth to it but it didn't really work back in the day and definitely doesn't work now. So oh well. 

17 minutes ago, alberro+ said:

I would recommend making Jool and Lindor slightly lighter. They seem way too dark, imo

I've tweaked Ad Astra a LOT, so i've changed a fair bit of stuff over time.

Noted. Admittedly I'm not playing with TUFX so I can easily believe I overcompensated when fixing their settings.

If you (or anyone else) have any other suggestions re general color schemes that you think would work better do let me know. I'm finally getting into the swing of this so this it he time to crowdsource this kind of stuff :D

2 hours ago, G'th said:

Noted. Admittedly I'm not playing with TUFX so I can easily believe I overcompensated when fixing their settings.

If you (or anyone else) have any other suggestions re general color schemes that you think would work better do let me know. I'm finally getting into the swing of this so this it he time to crowdsource this kind of stuff :D

I haven't looked at those configs in ages, but I could send you some scatterer and eve configs I tweaked. I just changed up Kerbin's atmosphere, switched Jool's and Lindor's textures, and removed the sphere around Moho (and maybe some other stuff i forgot).

Also, some nice pics because why not

1DAUbnv.png (2560×1440)4YqGtPM.png (2560×1440)

Edited by alberro+

1 hour ago, kerbalboi said:

All I can tell from that  if you're having a "loading problem", whatever that means to you, is that you have too much installed to load the game. 

If you want to be more descriptive about what the problem actually is then may be that can give more insight but this isn't anything to go off of. You have no major errors so if KSP isn't loading then you're running out of memory.

20 minutes ago, G&#x27;th said:

All I can tell from that  if you're having a "loading problem", whatever that means to you, is that you have too much installed to load the game. 

If you want to be more descriptive about what the problem actually is then may be that can give more insight but this isn't anything to go off of. You have no major errors so if KSP isn't loading then you're running out of memory.

it only happens when i try to boot the visual mod and config, might be because im trying to boot the 43k textures

8 hours ago, kerbalboi said:

it only happens when i try to boot the visual mod and config, might be because im trying to boot the 43k textures

The 43k textures are very resource intensive, and should only be used on high end PCs. I don't know what your PC specs are, but I would start with the 8k textures (which still look quite nice) and see if you can get the game to boot with that. 

On 4/24/2022 at 10:27 PM, fleventeen said:

The 43k textures are very resource intensive, and should only be used on high end PCs. I don't know what your PC specs are, but I would start with the 8k textures (which still look quite nice) and see if you can get the game to boot with that. 

I’ve tried to run the 8k textures and I think it’s not the textures anymore, the log is saying something about a bump map so it could be some configs?

24 minutes ago, kerbalboi said:

I’ve tried to run the 8k textures and I think it’s not the textures anymore, the log is saying something about a bump map so it could be some configs?

You're likely still running out of memory. You're trying to load this, JNSQ, BDB, Tantares, and who knows what else all at once. Thats a lot and even I can't run absolutely everything at once. 

1 minute ago, G&#x27;th said:

You're likely still running out of memory. You're trying to load this, JNSQ, BDB, Tantares, and who knows what else all at once. Thats a lot and even I can't run absolutely everything at once. 

from experience, RPM can consume a considerable amount of memory alone.

15 minutes ago, fleventeen said:

from experience, RPM can consume a considerable amount of memory alone.

Indeed. 

Personally I end up tailoring BDB to just what I actually use. Most big parts packs like BDB could do with an easier way of managing what you actually get other than deleting stuff out of the folder and hoping you don't accidentally delete some random part you do actually use. 

Like I appreciate the probes and early rocketry stuff, but not at the memory cost it takes to have it loaded when I don't ever use those parts. 

48 minutes ago, kerbalboi said:

Here's a thing that really pays off in terms of time and frustration: work on your solar system before installing *any* other mods. To get AdAstra on JNSQ probably takes like 10 folders, so I would identify which mods those are, and then move everything else out to a temporary folder.  Once you can run the game and have everything looking right, then you can move back all your QoL mods at once, and re-run to verify everything is fine. Then add part mods back as you see fit. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.