[DEFUNCT] AD ASTRA --- Check the latest post and update!

G'th

I noticed everyone having issues here (I haven't tried this mod before) and figured I'd give it a try on a clean install. Required mods only. Following the Readme file to the letter, I got the following results:

Spoiler

lOpHFgW.png

Clouds looking fine from the menu and tracking station!

But then:

Spoiler

vvKE3NB.png

j4il7Sv.png

ki11Vqr.png

That really doesn't look like high res clouds to me... So something is definitely going wrong here. Scanning the log didn't help me figure anything out however.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Howdy doody folks, 

Im still alive, even though I just got diagnosed with COVID19. Symptoms are mild so no real worries. Wouldnt have known I was even sick if it werent for a rash I got. 

But anyway, at some point in the near future I hope to be playing and modding again, though if KSP2 does start nearing a substantive release then there may not be anything new for KSP1. We'll just have to see how that goes. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/3/2020 at 1:06 AM, G'th said:

Howdy doody folks, 

Im still alive, even though I just got diagnosed with COVID19. Symptoms are mild so no real worries. Wouldnt have known I was even sick if it werent for a rash I got. 

But anyway, at some point in the near future I hope to be playing and modding again, though if KSP2 does start nearing a substantive release then there may not be anything new for KSP1. We'll just have to see how that goes. 

I was just checking the whole post as I also have no clouds (and I'm not newbie using mods lol) and just stumbled into your last post... Just focus on getting better, mate! I think we all can wait until you are back :D  

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, alberro+ said:

How exactly do I install the 43k textures?

Unpack the archive, read the readme therein.

2 hours ago, alberro+ said:

They're inside a .7z file, and I can't open them at all. Am I missing something?

Probably 7zip, strangely enough, since it's a 7zip archive.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Morphisor said:

I'd be very interested to know if your clouds look properly nice while going up through them and if so - if you could improve on the install explanation?

They look about as nice as JNSQ's normal clouds while going up them, but infinitely better from 200 km and up. 

To install 43k, you'll have to install the files in OP.

-Put the main one in gamedata, and then put the other two in aswell.

-After this, install the 8k textures from AVP, and put AVP/EVE/Textures in Ad Astra's gamedata folder.

Let me know if you have any issues.

23 hours ago, alberro+ said:

They look about as nice as JNSQ's normal clouds while going up them, but infinitely better from 200 km and up. 

To install 43k, you'll have to install the files in OP.

-Put the main one in gamedata, and then put the other two in aswell.

-After this, install the 8k textures from AVP, and put AVP/EVE/Textures in Ad Astra's gamedata folder.

Let me know if you have any issues.

Well, I tried again but got the same result as before. Does your game look the same as this going up?

Spoiler

eghyFCm.png

nzvfIHI.png

BqlmV0B.jpg

40T0us2.jpg

GzCBBUY.png

BZ1IZVh.png

Note how particularly the bits just before and just after the clouds look very choppy - Eve redux does a good job of making the clouds look better while exactly inside them. The original JNSQ clouds definitely look much smoother than this for me.

One possible issue that caught my eye in your description is "install the 8k textures from AVP". Do you mean to actually put the downloaded AVP folder with everything in it within gamedata? From the readme it only needs you to put the textures within the Ad Astra folder, so that's all I did.

Edited by Morphisor

2 hours ago, Morphisor said:

Well, I tried again but got the same result as before. Does your game look the same as this going up?

Hide contents

eghyFCm.png

nzvfIHI.png

BqlmV0B.jpg

40T0us2.jpg

GzCBBUY.png

BZ1IZVh.png

Note how particularly the bits just before and just after the clouds look very choppy - Eve redux does a good job of making the clouds look better while exactly inside them. The original JNSQ clouds definitely look much smoother than this for me.

One possible issue that caught my eye in your description is "install the 8k textures from AVP". Do you mean to actually put the downloaded AVP folder with everything in it within gamedata? From the readme it only needs you to put the textures within the Ad Astra folder, so that's all I did.

The 8k textures from AVP should also be in there, and yes, it looks like that for me too. I don't really mind, since I can make a scene make much better from the right altitude.

5 hours ago, alberro+ said:

The 8k textures from AVP should also be in there, and yes, it looks like that for me too. I don't really mind, since I can make a scene make much better from the right altitude.

So basically the choppy clouds are supposed to be like that :/

Sure it's fine from orbit, but it's all about the journey you know...

• 3 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, chris-kerbal said:

Did you use updated dependencies for 1.10?

I used the latest versions of every dependency when I ran the mod.

The mod lacks a detail texture so when you're *really* close to the upper clouds the aliasing appears.

On 9/22/2020 at 4:02 PM, Gojira said:

Does the mod provide updated planet textures, or is it just clouds for now?

I believe it does as it changes some Kopernicus configs from JNSQ, I'd double check though as it has been a long while since I have looked at the mod.

Oh yeah one more suggestion
if this mod is going to be updated, a Parallax config for it would be really nice.
If you don't know what parallax is it is a mod that replaces the stock terrain shader with something a lot nicer

Link: 

2 hours ago, Geoplex_Official said:

if this mod is going to be updated, a Parallax config for it would be really nice.
If you don't know what parallax is it is a mod that replaces the stock terrain shader with something a lot nicer

Link: 

Great suggestion, looking forward to it in the future.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.