Jump to content

[1.7.3] AD ASTRA ---v1.6 "Camp Fires" (12/14/19)


Recommended Posts

On 11/14/2020 at 6:11 PM, infinite_monkey said:

How much RAM do you guys have? I have 32 GB, wanted to try Ad Astra, and with it KSP eats all of my memory, plus 17 GB of swap space. Without Ad Astra, total memory usage of my system is about 80%

16GB, usually hovers around 60%. Never had any issues, with or without Ad Astra.

Edited by alberro+
Link to post
Share on other sites

If I terminate all other applications, I'm able to run it. I love the volumetric clouds, the dust etc. But I prefer the original JNSQ clouds - Ad Astra's clouds look like spilled milk from LKO. And I don't like the pink/orange sky during daylight - seems a bit over the top. City lights are cool, but during the day the cities seem to be shown on top of the clouds.

Where can I change these settings?

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, infinite_monkey said:

If I terminate all other applications, I'm able to run it. I love the volumetric clouds, the dust etc. But I prefer the original JNSQ clouds - Ad Astra's clouds look like spilled milk from LKO. And I don't like the pink/orange sky during daylight - seems a bit over the top. City lights are cool, but during the day the cities seem to be shown on top of the clouds.

Where can I change these settings?

I've been doing some messing around with Ad Astra lately. Here is a picture from 130km over JNSQ Kerbin.

z8RWXuA.png

43k cloud textures. This beats any other mod's cloud visuals in LKO, in my opinion.

EVE and Scatterer configs seem to be optimized for a wide range of altitudes, but with the right amount of tweaking both of these configs (all possible using the in-flight UI) you can obtain scenes like this in very low orbit. Some of the most important values to look at and tweak are the Extinction Tint, Exposure, and Thickness. Followed by Post Processing and RimPower/Blend. The other thing is depending on your system and lighting settings the detail layer that appears on top of the clouds (the mottled puffy look seen here) can be drowned out; you can adjust that to be more visible in the EVE settings. Finally TUFX really comes in handy to bring it all together. 

As for the city lights I went ahead and outright deleted the Day.dds texture file in the City Lights folder. This stops them from showing up during day time altogether and risking glitching through the cloud layer. 

Sadly my laptop is just not powerful enough to run this at full speed during gameplay so I'll be leaving Ad Astra in storage unless I feel like taking some more screenshots like this :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Adoelrome said:

has anyone had same issue?

AVP works perfectly at the same time.

AcNjHCR.png

kzesXyX.png

You're using the stock system, you'll need JNSQ for it to work properly.

On another note,  AVP is pretty much the same as Ad Astra, but for the stock system.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, alberro+ said:

On another note,  AVP is pretty much the same as Ad Astra, but for the stock system.

One source of confusion may be regarding those who are interested in 43k cloud textures, because while AVP used to have an option for that, it seems like that is no longer anywhere to be found. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

that's a sad news cos only one JNSQ size is almost 4 gb and it takes 12 gb in final build - hell of a lot more than AVP absolutely without any visible benefits.
for some reason I thought that AD ASTRA is a replacement of JNSQ but not an addition to it.
by myself I am not against all this and I have a lot of RAM, but it takes 12 GB alone and I have another 170 functional mods so it is dead idea already.

nevermind.

I have another question. 
A couple years ago for 0.90 version I wrote configs for the planets myself and did cool things, but now a lot has changed and I can't immediately figure out what I need to touch to get the required result.
It doesn't matter what I use, I get the result on the left.
If anyone can suggest what I should change in the configs to get something close to the right one, I would really appreciate help.

7XVMsBa.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, unwisechart17 said:

Does this mod work for any new versions other than 1.7.3?

Yes, as long as you use it with the correct version of EVE and Scatterer. I have used this on 1.8.1 and recently 1.10.1, I’m sure 1.9 would work as well but I haven’t tested that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Has anyone had an issue with the Day/ Night terminator appearing as a yellow orange transition instead of the orange red transition shown here? https://imgur.com/F3WVKKZ

EDIT: Never mind, copying and pasting the cfg for the Kerbin's atmosphere from AVP to Ad_Astra\scatterer\Planets\Kerbin fixed the issue.

Edited by Jcking
The problem was solved.
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, SpaceFace545 said:

So could someone please walk me through installing this, so far I have no clouds and the sun is non existent 

Install Ad Astra and drag the folder named Ad_Astra into the GameData folder (If you are also installing 43k clouds drag the Ad_Astra folder from it and the 43k settings folder into the GameData folder, and accept any files it wishes to overwrite), Next install the AVP textures that are linked through the Github (Not later versions), and navigate to AVP_8kTextures-2.zip\GameData\AstronomersVisualPack\EVE and drag the folder named "textures" into the Ad_Astra folder you put in GameData. Finally reinstall Kopernicus and launch.

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Jcking said:

Install Ad Astra and drag the folder named Ad_Astra into the GameData folder (If you are also installing 43k clouds drag the Ad_Astra folder from it and the 43k settings folder into the GameData folder, and accept any files it wishes to overwrite), Next install the AVP textures that are linked through the Github (Not later versions), and navigate to AVP_8kTextures-2.zip\GameData\AstronomersVisualPack\EVE and drag the folder named "textures" into the Ad_Astra folder you put in GameData. Finally reinstall Kopernicus and launch.

So I guess I’m not smart enough to color your instructions. Could you show me some screenshots of the game data and ad astra folders please

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, SpaceFace545 said:

So I guess I’m not smart enough to color your instructions. Could you show me some screenshots of the game data and ad astra folders please

Download Ad_Astra-v1.6.7z and drag the Ad_Astra folder to your Gamedata folder (for the 43k clouds download the 43k cubemap and settings from the github link in the OP and drag the Ad_Astra folder into GameData). Next download one of the AVP textures from here: https://github.com/themaster402/AstronomersVisualPack/releases/tag/v1.9, and drag the folder located here https://imgur.com/gq1dwgD to the Ad_Astra folder you put in the Gamedata folder, such that the textures folder matches the contents depicted here https://imgur.com/5FqdK4C. After that, your Gamedata folder should look like this https://imgur.com/4KsEBHy.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Jcking said:

Download Ad_Astra-v1.6.7z and drag the Ad_Astra folder to your Gamedata folder (for the 43k clouds download the 43k cubemap and settings from the github link in the OP and drag the Ad_Astra folder into GameData). Next download one of the AVP textures from here: https://github.com/themaster402/AstronomersVisualPack/releases/tag/v1.9, and drag the folder located here https://imgur.com/gq1dwgD to the Ad_Astra folder you put in the Gamedata folder, such that the textures folder matches the contents depicted here https://imgur.com/5FqdK4C. After that, your Gamedata folder should look like this https://imgur.com/4KsEBHy.

Thank you so much but still nothing. Im probably a big pain in your cheeks by now so sorry but could you please make a video or a more comprehensive tuturoial on how to install this.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...