[DEFUNCT] AD ASTRA --- Check the latest post and update!

G'th

On 6/16/2022 at 7:32 PM, MashAndBangers said:

This one's confusing.  I've installed the latest of everything; JNSQ, Kopernicus, EVE, Scatterer, so on and so forth, and yet I get this:

>snip<

My Gamedata folder:

>snip snip<

If anyone's having the same issue with the current Kopernicus there's a config on the GitHub called ColorFix that should fix the issue.

On 7/17/2022 at 4:14 PM, Kerbin Launch Coalition said:

Hello, I have a quick question for those involved. Does Ad Astra work fine with the rescale option included in JNSQ? 

To answer own question, Ad Astra does indeed work with the JNSQ 10x rescale option HOWEVER there is a slight graphical issue with atmospheres. I've came across something like this before with Sigma Dimensions, where the planet has a translucent 'ball' around it. I can't remember how I fixed that in Beyond Home though, as it was a huge issue with Hydrus in particular in that mod.

For the record though, JNSQ paired with Ad Astra is perhaps the best planet pack/graphical mod available for the game, there's others that are beautiful (like Beyond Home to name one) but JNSQ, with it being a remaining of stock Kerbin System has that much more charm. The textures of Minmus and the Mun in particular are gorgeous!

• 4 weeks later...
Just now, Fabled_Mike said:

Do I need scatterer for this to work?

Yes, a ton of the visual improvements are linked to scatterer vs EVE or just texture enhancements. Playing without scatterer will make this pack look pretty terrible imo.

If performance is your concern, you can tune scatterer to reduce the most demanding effects. Alternatively there are visual overhauls which do not require scatterer and have backup options if it is not installed.

@G'th or any other experienced Ad Astra user,

I just upgraded my PC and want to add Ad Astra 43k to an existing JNSQ save. Several questions:

1. JNSQ requires Scatterer 0.07xxx not 0.08xxx. It's been previously discussed in this thread but I didn't find a conclusive answer. Which Scatterer version does the latest Ad Astra v1.7.1 need?
  2. The readme strongly suggests KS3P. Is that old info or do you recommend I change from TUFX to KS3P?
Edited by DeadJohn

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone else help me diagnose Ad Astra? G'th hasn't logged in recently. My questions:

1. Does anyone know how to fix a weird green cast on the distant ocean? I get nothing like that with vanilla JNSQ, Scatterer, EVE.
  2. Which version of Scatterer is appropriate for Ad Astra? I tried 07x and 08x and they both look poor in low atmo Kerbin, better in orbit. (I read this thread and didn't spot a definitive answer)
  3. Is it normal for the Scatterer setting window to show "ModuleManager patch detected, saving disabled" in red text with Ad Astra? Vanilla JNSQ doesn't do that.

Screenshots below show how the green cast looks. There's not much difference using Scatterer 07x or 08x: 1) JNSQ without Ad Astra; 2) Ada Astra with Scatterer 0.0772; 3) Ada Astra with Scatterer 0.0838. All screenshots use the TUFX Default-Empty profile to try ruling out a TUFX issue.

bEGd438.png

WwOruhg.png

exq6b5t.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/26/2022 at 3:35 AM, DeadJohn said:

Can anyone else help me diagnose Ad Astra? G'th hasn't logged in recently. My questions:

1. Does anyone know how to fix a weird green cast on the distant ocean? I get nothing like that with vanilla JNSQ, Scatterer, EVE.
  2. Which version of Scatterer is appropriate for Ad Astra? I tried 07x and 08x and they both look poor in low atmo Kerbin, better in orbit. (I read this thread and didn't spot a definitive answer)
  3. Is it normal for the Scatterer setting window to show "ModuleManager patch detected, saving disabled" in red text with Ad Astra? Vanilla JNSQ doesn't do that.

Screenshots below show how the green cast looks. There's not much difference using Scatterer 07x or 08x: 1) JNSQ without Ad Astra; 2) Ada Astra with Scatterer 0.0772; 3) Ada Astra with Scatterer 0.0838. All screenshots use the TUFX Default-Empty profile to try ruling out a TUFX issue.

bEGd438.png

WwOruhg.png

exq6b5t.jpg

JNSQ has always had that green hue, not sure if it was intentional or just the result of something else. I don't believe Ad Astra fixes this. 

On the topic of JNSQ and Ad Astra, and which Scatterer version to use. JNSQ needs Scatterer 0.7** but Ad Astra works with 0.8** without issue, infact without the latest Scatterer Jool, Lindor just appear as shaded orbs.

If using Ad Astra, don't forget to go into the config 'LindorNew' and alter the value of the setting entitled 'thickness'. Change it from 100 to 0, otherwise Lindor has a white donut for a ring instead of the intended rings. :rep:

3 hours ago, Kerbin Launch Coalition said:

JNSQ has always had that green hue, not sure if it was intentional or just the result of something else. I don't believe Ad Astra fixes this.

On the topic of JNSQ and Ad Astra, and which Scatterer version to use. JNSQ needs Scatterer 0.7** but Ad Astra works with 0.8** without issue, infact without the latest Scatterer Jool, Lindor just appear as shaded orbs.

Thank you for the feedback. I've never noticed such a strong greenish horizon color with JNSQ before. IMO Ad Astra was either causing or greatly amplifying it. I tried with and without TUFX.

I ultimately gave up and picked a very different mod collection for several reasons. I was experimenting with (JNSQ + Ad Astra + Kerbalism + Tantares) and changed to (GPP 2.5x + Knes + multiple airplane mods + no Kerbalism).

5 hours ago, DeadJohn said:

Thank you for the feedback. I've never noticed such a strong greenish horizon color with JNSQ before. IMO Ad Astra was either causing or greatly amplifying it. I tried with and without TUFX.

I ultimately gave up and picked a very different mod collection for several reasons. I was experimenting with (JNSQ + Ad Astra + Kerbalism + Tantares) and changed to (GPP 2.5x + Knes + multiple airplane mods + no Kerbalism).

To be fair, I keep trying different planet packs every now and again but I keep coming back to JNSQ and Ad Astra. Might be worth hitting up OhioBob (I *think* he's one of the people who made it) and G'th (for Ad Astra) to see whether there's a straightforward method of removing the green hue.

Doesn't bother me too much personally as it's just something that appears when the Sun is setting or rising. I'd love to think it's a chemistry thing to be fair, but not sure Kerbal Space Program has such factors. Because here on Earth sunsets and sunrises have a reddish hue down to the chemical composition of our atmosphere, on Mars the Carbon Dioxide atmosphere gives a blue hue rather than reddish.

Might I suggest giving Gameslinx' Beyond Home a look, it's hands down the most beautiful 'stock system' I've came across. The main reason I'm back to JNSQ is for Parallax 2.0, because the planets all have the same names still it works without issue. :rep:

Having an issue, but not sure which mod is causing it. Hard to see in the screenshot, but when on the night side of certain planets or moons, the cloud layer becomes a black shell. Though it might have been scatter an installed an older version but that didn't fix the issue. Any ideas? I would really like to keep the white glow over the Mun but if not its not a deal breaker. https://imgur.com/a/5g1vG6H

• 3 weeks later...

Kerbal-Space-Program-Screenshot-2022-10-
My game doesn't seem to have scatterer working until I get way into space, leading to everything looking, well, pretty damn bad.

This is on a fresh 1.12.3 install with the only mods being JNSQ + Dependencies and Ad Astra, installed by the book. 
43k clouds seem to be working, I fixed the kopernicus bug. 
Anyone know what could cause this?

Just now, MHgamer1107 said:

My game doesn't seem to have scatterer working until I get way into space, leading to everything looking, well, pretty damn bad.

This is on a fresh 1.12.3 install with the only mods being JNSQ + Dependencies and Ad Astra, installed by the book. 

image.png
This is the gamedata, encase someone is wondering.

On 10/5/2022 at 4:28 PM, MHgamer1107 said:

image.png
This is the gamedata, encase someone is wondering.

Im also having this issue.. the mod seems very buggy

So I have made a decision regarding this mod, and it is quite simple: JNSQ and Astronomer's have been deprecated. 

Why? Reasons, and quite a lot of them, but primarily to do with my creative freedom. 

What does that mean for all of you? Obviously, JNSQ fans lose out.  Sorry, not really sorry lol.  However, the artistic spirit of this mod, that inspired my recently released mod SOL, is not going anywhere, and is now further emboldened as this mods replacement will be free from the shackles of realism that SOL must abide by. 

As for the future of Ad Astra and what it will look like, stay tuned.  Today I am going to challenge myself to see just how fast I can build a mod from the ground up, so keep an eye on Add On developments for the new dev thread once I'm ready to showcase the ongoing work. 

EDIT: Right; as far as the mod as it exists now, it will be available for legacy reasons and for anyone who feels compelled to try and maintain it (IE, fix its myriad problems). I'm always happy to lend a hand to such efforts, but I won't be doing any of the work :P

Edited by G'th

1 hour ago, G&#x27;th said:

As in, will no longer be required for this mod in new versions.

Without JNSQ we'll get a surprise: the Ad Astra replacement might be new visuals for stock planets, or an entirely new planetary system of your own design.

Whichever it is, please consider a new name instead of Ad Astra to limit confusion. That will be a big help when searching the forum.

17 minutes ago, DeadJohn said:

Without JNSQ we'll get a surprise: the Ad Astra replacement might be new visuals for stock planets, or an entirely new planetary system of your own design.

Whichever it is, please consider a new name instead of Ad Astra to limit confusion. That will be a big help when searching the forum.

Well I'm pretty emotionally attached to the name, but, it'll be pretty easy to tell which is which.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
On 10/12/2022 at 3:44 PM, G&#x27;th said:

So I have made a decision regarding this mod, and it is quite simple: JNSQ and Astronomer's have been deprecated. 

What does that mean for all of you? Obviously, JNSQ fans lose out.  Sorry, not really sorry lol.  However, the artistic spirit of this mod, that inspired my recently released mod SOL, is not going anywhere, and is now further emboldened as this mods replacement will be free from the shackles of realism that SOL must abide by. 

I sorta understand this, but why close down the Github with the 43k textures?

• 4 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.