Sign in to follow this  
Spacescifi

Planets That Could Not Exist

Recommended Posts

24 minutes ago, Shpaget said:

You're forgetting that we're not talking about recreational scuba diving, or even professional technical diving. We're talking about living in a high pressure oxygen rich atmosphere.

Actually, magnemoe and I were specifically talking bout diving/recreational scuba.

I was specifically attempting to correct an argument that oxygen toxicity is a relevant danger when recreational diving with compressed air.

I did not disagree that the partial pressure of oxygen in a high-pressure environment is a potential issue, only that recreational scuba divers do not spend enough time at depth for it to become an issue(by more than an order of magnitude), and have much more pressing safety concerns.

 

Some other things to consider when living in an high-pressure environment:

* breathing effort (even with a higher partial pressure, breathing in an environment that much denser takes a lot more effort and is a leading cause of 'scuba-naps')

* Need gradual decompression to transfer to lower pressure environments(need to let the excess dissolved gasses in the blood and tissues to percolate out naturally so they don't create un-wanted bubbles in the blood or tissues, potentially causing damage, and that will take time)

* cooking and other chemical processes: Water only boils at 100c at 1 bar of pressure, more and it needs to be hotter, less and it will boil cooler, this added density should also affect other chemical processes to a greater or lesser degree, and things that are safe at 1 bar may be hazardous at 3 bar, and vice versa(don't expect your internal combustion engine to work the same at higher pressures without making adjustments for example)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's how (more or less) Hatzegopteryx - biggest flying creature we found so far, would look. Notice that tiny Homo sapiens next to it? This enormous, giraffe - sized pterosaur weighted about as much as the man next to it. And it needed 10 - 12 meters of wingspan to fly.

1570_hatzegopteryx_sameerprehistorica.jp

Anyone wants to carry equivalent of a boat sail on their back all their life? :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Scotius said:

That's how (more or less) Hatzegopteryx - biggest flying creature we found so far, would look. Notice that tiny Homo sapiens next to it? This enormous, giraffe - sized pterosaur weighted about as much as the man next to it. And it needed 10 - 12 meters of wingspan to fly.

1570_hatzegopteryx_sameerprehistorica.jp

Anyone wants to carry equivalent of a boat sail on their back all their life? :)

Agree, now an saddle sounds like an idea :)

That thing is not much smaller than the dragons in Skyrim. 
Interestingly the Hatzegopteryx used the wings as front legs then walking and it also used them to push off on takeoff. 
Skyrim dragons also did wing walking, I guess they looked at flying dinosaurs then designing them. Yes the dragons are too heavy build and have too small wings but think they looked at flying dinosaurs then designing them. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

8 hours ago, Scotius said:

Anyone wants to carry equivalent of a boat sail on their back all their life?

Spoiler

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRuH9fvBTl3L1KQ-T2rMxV

 

Edited by kerbiloid

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/2/2019 at 6:12 AM, magnemoe said:

Have no idea how to make wheels work with biology, how to pass blood and nerve signals to an continuous rotating join. 
Second problem is that wheels works best if you are large I think, you want the wheel to be large enough for you to keep an good speed. 

But the wheel could be "dead", like hollow keratin or something, and use a "kick-leg" for propulsion and bending steering

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PositronLance001 said:

But the wheel could be "dead", like hollow keratin or something, and use a "kick-leg" for propulsion and bending steering

 

 

Good point you added.

To add to this, the creature could even have rocket mode out the rear like the bombardier beetle.

For times when ot wanted to go as fast as possible to get away.

 

Actually, the cool thing about rocketry is if the creature has nozzles spaced appropriately...  it can retroburn to slow down.

The kick leg as you called it could be two at least, used for steering like a rudder or even pivoting, something even a car cannot do.

 

WOW! I think you're on to something, mankind can actually build a vehicle or car with these abilities.

The selling point would be this... never have to back up again if in a wide and clear lot. Just rotate and set her back down and drive. Cool!

Edited by Spacescifi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PositronLance001 said:

But the wheel could be "dead", like hollow keratin or something, and use a "kick-leg" for propulsion and bending steering

How do you handle repairs and lubrication if it is dead?

How do you excrete a complex structure like a wheel in the first place?

As far as I am aware, keratin is generally excreted from a structure of the same general shape.

Also, Wheels are an awful primary means of propulsion without an external resource providing long, flat roads.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Terwin said:

How do you handle repairs and lubrication if it is dead?

How do you excrete a complex structure like a wheel in the first place?

As far as I am aware, keratin is generally excreted from a structure of the same general shape.

Also, Wheels are an awful primary means of propulsion without an external resource providing long, flat roads.

This, wheels makes lots of sense sense on an very flat surface, you can not use small wheels like on skateboard or roller blades on an dirt road who is way smoother than anything in nature outside of some salt flats there you don't have much life as in resources.  
Do some off road wheelchair use to understands the issues. Note that larger animals evolve slower and they have longer generation spans. 
Tanks tracks makes more sense but is some order of magnitudes harder to make works biological and way more to evolve. 
If we had some I say it would prove intelligent design as you need the wheel to get the track. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/2/2019 at 3:23 PM, farmerben said:

Wing skeletons could be rated for 1.5 times body weight since they don't impact the ground.

No, then you could only do 1.5 G's. That wouldn't even allow you to do a 60 degree bank. Hit some turbulence, and you break your wing.

No aircraft today has such a low G limit, I haven't heard of anything stressed for less than +3 Gs. Generally the smaller and slower flying, the higher it needs to be as turbuelnce in the atmosphere can change the load factor on something flying along at 30 km/h much much more than something flying along at 200 km/h.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, magnemoe said:

This, wheels makes lots of sense sense on an very flat surface, you can not use small wheels like on skateboard or roller blades on an dirt road who is way smoother than anything in nature outside of some salt flats there you don't have much life as in resources.  
Do some off road wheelchair use to understands the issues. Note that larger animals evolve slower and they have longer generation spans. 
Tanks tracks makes more sense but is some order of magnitudes harder to make works biological and way more to evolve. 
If we had some I say it would prove intelligent design as you need the wheel to get the track. 

Or maybe we could make it as a mutualistic relationship between "wheel" creatures and a "steering" creature

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/2/2019 at 11:32 PM, magnemoe said:

 I guess they looked at flying dinosaurs then designing them. Yes the dragons are too heavy build and have too small wings but think they looked at flying dinosaurs then designing them. 
 

The only known flying dinosaurs are birds and stem-birds. What you are talking about there are pterosaurs, which are not dinosaurs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, PositronLance001 said:

Or maybe we could make it as a mutualistic relationship between "wheel" creatures and a "steering" creature

Both highly dependent on the 'roads' creature, otherwise in a world full of soft dirt, sand, holes, mud, roots, rocks, hills, fallen branches, and other obstacles, they would not get very far without broken wheel creatures and maimed steering creatures.  (And Ruts from other wheel creatures would do awful things if the wheel separation distance is not standardized across all of them)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Terwin said:

Both highly dependent on the 'roads' creature, otherwise in a world full of soft dirt, sand, holes, mud, roots, rocks, hills, fallen branches, and other obstacles, they would not get very far without broken wheel creatures and maimed steering creatures.  (And Ruts from other wheel creatures would do awful things if the wheel separation distance is not standardized across all of them)

Haha

19 hours ago, Spacescifi said:

 

To add to this, the creature could even have rocket mode out the rear like the bombardier beetle.

For times when ot wanted to go as fast as possible to get away.

 

Actually, the cool thing about rocketry is if the creature has nozzles spaced appropriately...  it can retroburn to slow down.

 

 

BIRD AFTERBURNER!!!!! because why not

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this