KSP 2 First Mod - I Call Dibs

frizzank

I would like to make the first unofficial mod for KSP 2.

I know what your saying "How can you mod something that hasn't even been released yet?". Well that's easy you just start making game ready stuff and just cram it in on release day.

I'm making several assumptions.

1. The game is in fact mod-able in a similar way as KSP 1 "Drop and play mod folders and such".
  2. Polygon and texture memory will be higher. "Educated guess on how high"
  3. A modern PBR shader setup. "Roughness based?"
  4. The parts I am creating are different enough from stock parts to be fun/useful.
  5. No weird pipeline for creating parts like "A single texture RGB houses 3 separate maps to save on memory"   :[

If anyone can answer any of these questions with a definitive yes or no it would be much appreciated.

"Dibs is American slang for claiming something as yours"

7 hours ago, frizzank said:

I would like to make the first unofficial mod for KSP 2.

I know what your saying "How can you mod something that hasn't even been released yet?". Well that's easy you just start making game ready stuff and just cram it in on release day.

I'm making several assumptions.

1. The game is in fact mod-able in a similar way as KSP 1 "Drop and play mod folders and such".
  2. Polygon and texture memory will be higher. "Educated guess on how high"
  3. A modern PBR shader setup. "Roughness based?"
  4. The parts I am creating are different enough from stock parts to be fun/useful.
  5. No weird pipeline for creating parts like "A single texture RGB houses 3 separate maps to save on memory"   :[

If anyone can answer any of these questions with a definitive yes or no it would be much appreciated.

The only people who can answer these conclusively would be Star Theory; though we do know PBR will be implemented. That's about it at the moment though; we also know they're working on a Module Manager like scripting system based on Lua; exposed via API's. Which would also imply the presence of #1 to an extent, but not confirm it.

Memory usage is a complete crapshoot though; KSP1 loads everything in memory upon launch plus some padding so it doesn't have to hit the disk as much. But we have little to no idea what KSP2 will do.

7 hours ago, klgraham1013 said:

I think the only one in the community who actually has a right to call dibs on such a thing is LinuxGuruGamer.

I bow before no modder.

I was here in the beginning, long before the great purge.

When the light of Felipe was bright and all mods where new and good.

I have brought forth my own light upon Kerbal kind and the light persists.

The shadow I cast is as a mountain at sunset.

As others struggle to emerge from it I continue on, forever marching to the horizon.

All kidding aside LinuxGuruGamer does have some great mods BUT, I was here first, still call dibs.

TLDR version- Been a creator here a while and want to keep making stuff.

So I have decided to re-create the original KSP classic parts in the new KSP2 game. I plan on making them from scratch and drawing on the original parts only as a reference.

I'm going to start with these parts below and then add more from there.

Also there is no KSP2 mods section so I'm just sticking the post here....

zGvMdWO.jpg

18 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

So, let me know when you decide to abandon your mod, and Ill be the first to adopt a nonexistent mod for the as yet unreleased KSP 2

Usually on these forums we burn towards prograde or retrograde, not at each-other. That man had a family.

1 hour ago, linuxgurugamer said:

So, let me know when you decide to abandon your mod, and Ill be the first to adopt a nonexistent mod for the as yet unreleased KSP 2

I have a pretty good track record for keeping up my mods. FASA started in 2013 and I just put out a patch for 1.8. I mean that's longer support than a lot of published games.

All else fails I'm cramming it in KSP1. Like BB's in a Christmas pellet gun.

Edited by frizzank

On 12/5/2019 at 11:44 PM, frizzank said:

Agreed...

it's all well and good saying you'll make the first mod, but the problem is the only thing that's been known is PBR textures.

Starting work on it now is futile, even if the game's built in unity, the only things you can do now is come up with the models and the sounds.

All the same, best of luck!

Yea, most of the work is the model and the textures. Also I have a lot of experience making game ready models in many, many engines. They all require basically the same setup so I should be good.

Barring any weird model import setup or absence of mod tools it will be ready day 1, or at most day 1 and a 1/2.

2 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

You should really wait for 2.1.1 or even 2.1.2.

I, for one, will be sticking with the stable 2.0.3 version.  I haven't seen any reports that 2.1 actually fixed any major bugs.

On 12/3/2019 at 4:06 AM, frizzank said:

I think the entire English speaking world knows this one... the word in that usage alone is close to a century old and has existed in other forms for longer lol :P

You'll be telling us what "cool" means next... a word even more recent that dibs lol.