Map mode unavailable after changing vessel type to Science

I'm sorry if this is a known bug, I didn't notice this problem mentioned elsewhere but I'm a newbie-ish player and I'd guess it is something easy to overlook.

I landed a cheap and tiny probe on Minmus, to earn easy money from "transmit science data from Minmus" contracts before I'd get around to sending a lab-equipped base there, and everything worked fine. However, as the list of craft in my tracking station grew, I got the idea to change the vessel type of that probe. I do have a base on Minmus now, so I wanted something I could hide for most of the time and only see if I wanted to.

But once I've changed the vessel type to Science, something I've never used before, map mode became unavailable. It works fine in another playthrough, it works fine if I load an older quicksave, and I'd guess it has something to do with the fact that the Science type is not a valid filter type in map mode, so I feel this *is* a bug.

Or am I missing something here?

1 minute ago, HebaruSan said:

There is no Science vessel type.

https://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Craft#Vessel_types

What exactly did you do?

Right-clicked the probe core, chose Rename vessel, the right-most vessel type option was Science, next to Relay. And I'm running latest stock game, no mods.

I just took a look at a manned ship and that too offers me the same Science type; here's a screenshot: screenshot109

The science category in the map filter was intended to only show the Breaking Ground surface deployed science experiments.

If assigning other vessels to that category breaks the map mode then I would say it should never have been provided as a selectable assignment when renaming craft, and thus is a bug.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.