Ksp 1 Vs Ksp 2 - Which Should I Buy?

I am thinking about getting KSP 1 this Christmas, but I recently found out that KSP 2 will be released next year. Which should I buy? Please give me the pros and cons of either, justify the price, and give a final conclusion based on the information known. Thanks!

Edited by Humongusfungus1

21 minutes ago, DeadJohn said:

KSP 2 is not on the verge of being released. It's still around a year away, and software projects frequently arrive later than planned.

Fiscal year 2021 does not mean "It's still around a year away", just that it is coming out after march 2020.

That said @Humongusfungus1, KSP 1 is still way worth it. Get it, itll be cheaper, it's fully developed, and you can start early on learning how to play it.

Look up "scott manley" if you get stuck

8 hours ago, mcwaffles2003 said:

Fiscal year 2021 does not mean "It's still around a year away", just that it is coming out after march 2020.

That said @Humongusfungus1, KSP 1 is still way worth it. Get it, itll be cheaper, it's fully developed, and you can start early on learning how to play it.

Look up "scott manley" if you get stuck

And give it some time, it´s definitely not a cheerleader. It´s more like the physics nerd who needs some time and effort to open up. But with her watching the Mun will never get boring while the cheerleader after one weeks bothers the hell out of you with always the same stupid talk about her hair style, false fingernails and if you think her trunk became fatter. Chose wisely ;)

Maybe KSP2 will become both, a cheerleader who is a physics student (?) But that´s far away yet and I only believe it when I see it. KSP1 isn´t, that´s for sure.

Edited by HUG

14 hours ago, Humongusfungus1 said:

Please give me the pros and cons of either, justify the price, and give a final conclusion based on the information known.

KSP 2: Pro, it'll be newer than KSP 1, include interstellar travel and more colony-building.  Con, it doesn't exist.  Price $60 can't be justified.  Buy it if you want the new shiny stuff with new shiny bugs, don't care when it comes or what it costs.

KSP 1: Pro, It's been constantly improved for 5 years, has thousands of hours of content and more thousands of mods, including interstellar travel and colony-building.  Con, the graphics have never been leading-edge and it's still a bit buggy.  Price $30, plus DLC, is hard to justify to be honest, but it's often on sale for a lot less.  Unfortunately, you've just missed a 75% discount in the Steam sale, for instance.  Buy it on sale for everything time and the modding community can do to polish it then decide in a year or two if you want to upgrade to KSP 2 - by which time it should also be on sale.

2 hours ago, Pecan said:

KSP 2: Pro, it'll be newer than KSP 1, include interstellar travel and more colony-building.  Con, it doesn't exist.  Price $60 can't be justified.  Buy it if you want the new shiny stuff with new shiny bugs, don't care when it comes or what it costs.

KSP 1: Pro, It's been constantly improved for 5 years, has thousands of hours of content and more thousands of mods, including interstellar travel and colony-building.  Con, the graphics have never been leading-edge and it's still a bit buggy.  Price $30, plus DLC, is hard to justify to be honest, but it's often on sale for a lot less.  Unfortunately, you've just missed a 75% discount in the Steam sale, for instance.  Buy it on sale for everything time and the modding community can do to polish it then decide in a year or two if you want to upgrade to KSP 2 - by which time it should also be on sale.

For the sheer amount of hours I have sunk into this game and enjoyment it continues to bring... $60 is a bargain even for KSP 1. I can only think of maybe 6 or 7 games that have captured my mind to the extent of this one in all my life. That, and with the modding community (if you chose to utilize it), you essentially buy a game for $30 with like 10 DLC packs worth of content... at the LEAST.

I have spent $60 on far less worthwhile things in my life at least

Hello @Humongusfungus1 and welcome to the KSP Forums!

KSP:
  Pros: Constant development over a fairly long term has created a game with many features and options to allow a great variety of gameplay.
            Countless mods created by a very active and imaginative modding community can enhance or tweak KSP or transform into an almost completely different experience.
            KSP is completely DRM free and portable.
            Absolutely the best value of any entertainment I have purchased.  Worth every penny even at five times the price I paid.

Cons:  Originally created by a person who was not yet a professional software developer and developed by a company that had no experience whatsoever in game development or software publishing.
              Many features feel as though they were implemented with the intention to develop them further later on, but nobody ever got back to them. (IVA, career mode, facility levels, kerbal experience  levels, etc.)
              Sound and music are not KSP's strong points.
              KSP's graphics quality is not as advanced as some players would like, but it has steadily improved over time.

KSP2:
  Pros: An experienced, professional development team, some of whom are ardent fans of KSP, should allow for a focus on polish and quality.
             Starting with the core concept and assets of KSP, yet still programming the new version from the ground up should allow for significant efficiencies in the code, and quality enhancements in the game.
             Other star systems and interstellar travel will be in the stock game.

Con: It has not yet been released.

Happy landings!

Hmmmm.

Get KSP1 now, and syart having fun.   Then look at KSP2 when it comes out and decide whether or not to upgrade later.

Their respective UI may be different, but the basic physics of both will be the same, so anything you learn will transfer anyway.

19 hours ago, Humongusfungus1 said:

I am thinking about getting KSP 1 this Christmas, but I recently found out that KSP 2 will be released next year. Which should I buy? Please give me the pros and cons of either, justify the price, and give a final conclusion based on the information known. Thanks!

KSP 1 Pros:

Good game for building a space agency

Enjoyable kerbals

KSP 1 Cons:

Glitches (Kraken)

Hard to start

KSP 2 Pros:

Better graphics and less bugs

KSP 2 Cons:

Not a lot of info on gameplay and what we can expect from playing this

KSP 1 is a great game to get and I would also get KSP 2 when that comes out

[snip]

The "grown up" reason is that there aren't many options for a space SIM as niche as KSP (only KSP itself, actually) and the user base only willing to pay 5$ every 8 years is a big part of the problem.

The typical modern day "AAA" is a 15-20 hour walking simulator with most of the budget spent on useless wallpaper details like voice acting or graphics instead of entertaining gameplay (making a movie wannabe is less risky than trying something new), here we're talking about a game that at least will be a modern and professionally made KSP remake with some of the most popular mods (like MKS and Near Future) integrated in the gameplay..

We're talking about 1000 hours at minimum of gameplay at 0.06$ per hour, and that makes KSP2 the cheapest form of entertainment I will have in 2020.

Edited by Vanamonde

[snip]

Finding a game enjoyable is actually a decent justification for purchasing it. In fact I think it would be strange if enjoyment was not the top justification for purchasing any form of entertainment as that is the purpose of any entertainment.It would be really strange if someone recommended a game and then caveated their explanation with something like "but I did not find the game all that enjoyable". 

That said I did mention my play hours as play hours per cost is, to me, a great measuring tool of value. I also mentioned modding as that is a core feature of the base game, which is essentially a platform for mods.

Edited by Vanamonde

The first few milestones in KSP are incredibly rewarding, more than any game I have played. After that its more about what you want to do, and if you enjoy sandbox games. Will KSP2 bring in more game mechanics and progression? I hope so, but am doubtful at this point.

Just now, Waxing_Kibbous said:

The first few milestones in KSP are incredibly rewarding, more than any game I have played. After that its more about what you want to do, and if you enjoy sandbox games. Will KSP2 bring in more game mechanics and progression? I hope so, but am doubtful at this point.

Colonies are confirmed so there's that at the least

KSP 1

Pros

I have never played a single player game as long as I have KSP 1, I have over 3000 hours at this point...

Cons

It is bug ridden. I have reported over 20+ bug reports since 1.8.0 (last major release) was released and many before 1.8.0 that haven't actually been fixed.

However I have to reluctantly say that its worth the money if its on special.

DLCs arent really necessary until you know you will like the game and Break Ground is buggy as well...more so after 1.8.0 was released.

Play Recommendations

I would recommend playing science mode when you first play because getting all of the rocket parts all at once is just overwhelming.

And force yourself to do Rendezvous (getting two rockets in space close together) as soon as you can, its easy once you do it for the first time. Just do the tutorial again and again until you get it should be enough. I took over 2 months before I just committed to figuring how to do it

KSP 2

I would wait until it comes out to see if a more experienced games developer can make it worth US$60

22 hours ago, Curveball Anders said:

I compare the cost to what else I could get for the money.

$60 would get me c:a 12 beers at my local pub and that fun would be over in 1/1000 of the time I've spent having fun with KSP.

No! The fun would be over on the next morning already!! :)

[snip]

I've spent over 1000 hours in at least 4 different games this decade. Minecraft, FTL, KSP, and Darkest Dungeon. I'm pretty sure Steam is wrong about my hours in Rimworld but I'm not including it because I "only" have 600 hours in it. Each one of those games I paid less than $30 for (not counting the DLC I happily bought) and to suggest that any of them would not be worth $60 (to me) is ridiculous. I'm not "most people" of course but I doubt I'm that much an outlier around here.

As to the OP @Humongusfungus1 I'd suggest, if you truly can only get one of the two games, do this: Wait for KSP2 to come out, read reviews and watch some LPs of people who like KSP1 and listen to what they say about it. Then decide which one to buy, the cheaper (in cost) original or the more expensive new one with (presumably) more.

I'd suggest though in that case you only don't buy KSP2 if people tend to pan it a lot, as it's the one that's going to be getting support from any new (and a lot of old) modders unless it's utter trash.

Edited by Vanamonde

2 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

Each one of those games I paid less than $30 for

Is the very reason I say no game is worth buying for $60; I expect to buy better for less than half the price.

Some comments have been removed from this thread. OP doesn't want to know about the economics of game pricing, nor does he/she care why you're mad at each other over your opinions about that. The question is which game you'd recommend she/he purchase, so let's stick to that, please. 

Since KSP 1 is available now...  and the DLC that adds robotics is pretty cool, and I like the helicopters and such.

I would say don't hesitate to pickup KSP 1 this Christmas, and you can get KSP 2 for next Christmas!

If you absolutely can't afford both (and are set on waiting for KSP2) I'd at least recommend looking for the free demos.  There were at least two:

.18 (demo) [.02-.18 were also freely available and presumably stuck on a thread somewhere]: this was the game right before it went into "open access".  Expect all the weird features you may have heard about "old school KSP": needing aspargus staging to for any large craft, aerodynamics really don't matter and flat, round spacecraft made much sense, and the means to orbit is straight up to 10k, then hard West.

1.0.0 (demo) learning this at least won't require learning KSP(1) again, assuming you find KSP1 on an extreme sale.  It has the aero model (both drag and stability.  Stability will be the biggest problem if you cut your teeth on .18) and most of the major improvements for release (but is likely more intentionally limited than .18.  In .18 I doubt there was any real limits on what you could asparagus together with tiny little rockets).  Be warned though: plenty of gamebreaking bugs will be present that weren't really stable until 1.0.3 (if your demo says 1.0.3 then breathe a sigh of relief, but I'm pretty sure it was only 1.0.0).