Throttle issue.

First off thank you guys for constantly improving and updating KSP for consoles; I haven’t sunk as many hours into a game in a long time! I’m loving the new Breaking Ground release but I’m having to learn a lot of new mechanics. I’m building a helicopter and I’m trying to have the turboshaft’s RPM bound to a custom axis but I can’t for the life of me find out how to enable the 4 custom axis options while flying.

Also I’m trying to bind the throttle but when I do it starts at 50% even though I set the game to start at zero throttle. How do I enable to throttle to go from 0 to 100% instead of 50-100? With the KAL 1000? Could anyone point me in the right direction? Again, awesome game and thanks for the updates!

On 12/6/2019 at 4:13 PM, Vanamonde said:

Hi @Bhansenlt4 and welcome to our forum. 

I have moved your question to its own thread in the support forum, where it's more likely to be seen by someone who might be able to help. Does this problem come up when using the throttle on other kinds of engines? 

I’ll try with an electric motor and see what it does, but for now what I do is bind the proper pitch to throttle (it correctly goes from zero to 150) and just set rpm and torque manually, it seems to work decently. I’d still like to figure out how to use the custom axis groups though; I’ve tried everything I can think of but to no avail.

Have you tried mapping the power curve to the KAL-1000?

...and then assigning the "Play Position" of the KAL-1000 to the throttle?

I never map RPM or Torque directly to throttle because I typically want a blended curve of both ramping up as I move through the throttle.  I wrote a bit on the topic in a 1.7.3 tutorial, and aside from the pitch curves changing a bit in the 1.8.x updates, the concepts are all valid:

...and actually, you really don't want RPM's to go to zero anyway.  It would cause your blades to stop spinning in midair.

Edited by XLjedi

On 12/9/2019 at 3:40 PM, mikey117 said:

Figured it out:D. You just use docking mode. The linear and rotational controls relate to the Custom axis' listed in the action group window.

Will have to do some proper testing,but I'm thinking this could make controlling propeller type craft a lot more viable. It's a bit clunky to switch docking mode back and forth.  So im thinking, if you remap normal flight controls to DM rotation and any additional robotic controls (like propeller pitch etc) to the DM linear then we should be able to just stay in DM and switch between lin/rot at the tap of a button.

Atleast if you play on Cursor controls you just tap A button on xbox to switch. Not sure about other control schemes.

As for custom axis groups. I will need to test this, but might be that you have a secondary (axis )set of action groups when in DM

Hope this helps, now go unleash your inner Robotnik

Hope this helps. As for the throttle staying at 50%, I'm having the same issue. I haven't found a work around/solution yet

On 12/9/2019 at 3:46 PM, XLjedi said:

Have you tried mapping the power curve to the KAL-1000?

...and then assigning the "Play Position" of the KAL-1000 to the throttle?

I never map RPM or Torque directly to throttle because I typically want a blended curve of both ramping up as I move through the throttle.  I wrote a bit on the topic in a 1.7.3 tutorial, and aside from the pitch curves changing a bit in the 1.8.x updates, the concepts are all valid:

...and actually, you really don't want RPM's to go to zero anyway.  It would cause your blades to stop spinning in midair.

Thanks so much for the link, and thanks for writing that great tutorial! It definitely helped me understand everything a lot better in regard to motors and the KAL-1000. After some fiddling around I noticed that (in console KSP at least) the first half of any track in the KAL doesn’t work, so the halfway point is actually your starting point, 75% becomes your halfway point, etc. I still can’t figure out how to use custom axis groups on console but at least now I can program the KAL properly. Thanks again for the help!

On 12/11/2019 at 6:21 AM, mikey117 said:

Hope this helps. As for the throttle staying at 50%, I'm having the same issue. I haven't found a work around/solution yet

On the track editor, the first half of the track actually doesn’t exist; it starts at the halfway point on the track. So think of 50% as actually being your starting point, 75% actually being your halfway point, etc.

Probably not the answer but are you clicking the little icon in the throttle map ?  One button is for on off, one is for ramped control. Looks like a cell service icon.  Havent got too much into it but i remember there being a toggle of this sort

• 2 weeks later...

Several issues here. For one, you don’t really want to change your RPMs very much if at all. I highly recommend picking a set speed and just toggle on and off. Two, you need to bind your prop pitch to your throttle controls. Zero throttle equals zero angle of attack on your propellers. Max throttle equals 50 degrees of prop pitch (for airplanes). As far as the sweet spot for max prop pitch for a helicopter, you might want to do some research. I’d recommend building a prop plane before a helicopter. Less complicated and you’re not trying to find that perfect sweet spot for hovering. It took me a while to grasp this concept, just remember that your prop pitch controls your speed, NOT your RPMs or torque. RPMs rev up and down waaay too slow to ever be able to reliably control. Also, make sure to go ahead and deploy your props in the VAB/hanger and unbind prop braking so that’s one less thing to deal with on the runway. When your throttle controls are all the way down and your props are spinning at full speed you should be at a complete stand still. As you slowly throttle up your propellers will start to grip the air and you’ll get a much faster top speed and faster acceleration. Hope this helps. My gamer tag is Homedawgian if you’d like help on Xbox.

• 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.