Seeking advice for throttle control using turboshaft engine.

So I've just downloaded the Breaking ground dlc on xbox. I've put together a basic biplane using the R121 turboshaft. I'm having difficulty with throttle controls.

I've seen advice on another forum ,to use the Kal 1000 to bind RPM and Torque limits to the main throttle, this seems to be working , kind of as intended. Problem is it won't throttle back down.

The plane keeps trying to spin/roll due to the single engine.however I'll figure out how to sort that later. Can't even get off the ground yet .

For the moment I just want to figure out how to make the Kal sequence work In reverse also.

It's going to take a while to get my head around all the new robotic parts and how to use them with a controller.

Also, just out of curiosity. Are there any PC players who happen to also own the console version?(highly unlikely I know) 

If so then it could be really helpful for us console players to have one of you folks do a comparison of sorts, as in how well some of the controls/methods to  control robotics and planes etc have been implemented on console.(I have a feeling some things have probably been overlooked in this regard)

Or even how some of it works. There's a lot of new settings/options for action groups and the Kal 1000 etc, that are not explained at all. TBH it's going to be a headache figuring some of this out without some help/comparison from the PC community.

Edited by mikey117

On 12/7/2019 at 9:30 AM, mikey117 said:

So I've just downloaded the Breaking ground dlc on xbox. I've put together a basic biplane using the R121 turboshaft. I'm having difficulty with throttle controls.

I've seen advice on another forum ,to use the Kal 1000 to bind RPM and Torque limits to the main throttle, this seems to be working , kind of as intended. Problem is it won't throttle back down.

You don't need the KAL-1000 for this; you can just bind the rotor directly to the throttle.

The important thing is to make sure you bind it in absolute mode and not incremental mode.  (For most control axes, you'd want the defailt "incremental", but for throttle you want absolute.)

I'd suggest leaving the torque maxed out (i.e. don't bind it to the throttle), and just bind RPM to the throttle.

16 hours ago, Snark said:

The important thing is to make sure you bind it in absolute mode and not incremental mode.

On PC (well, on my Linux version) the "Main Throttle" axis action group doesn't allow to choose between absolute and incremental mode. It only ever allows absolute mode. Is this different on consoles? (In that case I would consider it a bug.)

Some unsolicited, but maybe helpful advice:

On 12/7/2019 at 6:30 PM, mikey117 said:

The plane keeps trying to spin/roll due to the single engine.

That is a known problem, and I think this issue is worse in game than in real life. The usual solution is to have two counter-rotating propellers. I usually use a small fairing to put two (electrical) engines on the same axis, but a classic twin-engine design also works well.

For my prop-planes I don't use the main throttle at all. I keep the max RPM to max, bind the torque limit to one axis group, and bind the propeller pitch to another axis group. Then when flying I set the torque limit to the limit of my power consumption (usually just max), and do the actual thrust control with the propeller pitch. That allows me to adjust the pitch for high thrust at low speeds or increase the maximum speed at which the props generate thrust, and at it allows me to nearly direct control over the airspeed at low speeds by lowering the prop pitch (down to 0 for braking on the runway, or a quick increase for a go-around). The latter makes braking way more easy for a fat-fingered slob like me. ;)

This is how I manage everything discussed on this thread...

Send me your plane and I'll show you a couple different ways to setup the KAL-1000.  You don't need to make the KAL sequence work in reverse, you just need to bind the KAL "Play Position" to your throttle.

Edited by XLjedi

21 hours ago, XLjedi said:

Play Position" to your throttle.

Yeah this is another one I was not sure about. I was using play speed (I think) haven't been on for a day or so.

Thanks for the advice, also I can't share craft as I am on console. Also not 100%sure how to upload a screenshot to the forum.

11 minutes ago, mikey117 said:

Yeah this is another one I was not sure about. I was using play speed (I think) haven't been on for a day or so.

Thanks for the advice, also I can't share craft as I am on console. Also not 100%sure how to upload a screenshot to the forum.

The PDF doc is pretty detailed...  I show every curve with step-by-step on every button click on how to set it up for both aircraft and helos.   This weekend I might post a video on an advanced prop setup mixing in propeller pitch as well.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.