Recommended Flight Simulator

Klapaucius

Hello,

Considering how much I enjoy flying in KSP (but also know it is more about building weird craft than actual flight simulation) and due to the fact I am hoping to start on a real life microlite licence in 2020, I''ve been looking at flight simulators.

Since all games have a learning curve, I'm keen to get some advice before diving in.  I've downloaded Flight Gear and DCS, but am okay spending money (within reason) if there is better and more realistic.

Other options:

Flight Simulator X

XPlane 11

Aerofly FS2

and part of me wonders if I should just wait for Microsoft X019.

Do you any of you play these? If so, what do you prefer and why? At the moment, I am more interested in civilian than military.   If you start in one, is it fairly easy to go to another?  Is most of the learning curve about the individual aircraft or does each individual game require a big time investment just to get your head around the game mechanics?

Finally, how much grunt do you need in your computer? I have a reasonable video editing PC. i7 3.6 GHz 32GB Ram with a Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060.

Edited by Klapaucius

I really like Flight Simulator X.  I enjoyed the missions in the original quite a bit and I think I completed all of them, including a sighting of a UFO in the area 51 private vip flight.

I played a newer flight simulator from MS that kinda flopped back in 2011/2012 time frame.  It was pretty good.   There is a new Flight Sim that is coming out, I believe it uses ML (machine learning) generated terrain with some gorgeous terrain assets.  It sounds like they are hopeful for some level of VR support as well.  Likely for the PC, as I believe the Xbox One management is still avoiding the VR investment.

https://venturebeat.com/2019/10/13/microsoft-flight-simulator-vr-support-we-will-try-our-darnedest-to-make-it-happen/

8 hours ago, Klapaucius said:

Finally, how much grunt do you need in your computer? I have a reasonable video editing PC. i7 3.6 GHz 32GB Ram with a Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060.

Your PC sounds great and I think it will handle almost any of the flight traditional flight simulators out there, as there hasnt been a new great one in a while.  The new MS Flight Simulator will likely do great things on PC.

Edited by championofcyrodiil

2 hours ago, championofcyrodiil said:

There is a new Flight Sim that is coming out, I believe it uses ML (machine learning) generated terrain with some gorgeous terrain assets.  It sounds like they are hopeful for some level of VR support as well.  Likely for the PC, as I believe the Xbox One management is still avoiding the VR investment.

Yes, I saw that, which had me wondering if I should wait, but then again, who knows when in 2020 it will actually be released.

Long time flight sim player here (2000+ hours poured to FSX)

Best recomendation I for you  is to wait till the new FSX comes,giving that it's coming to Xbox it should run just fine on your PC

But if you can't wait i would suggest you try out the original FSX on steam.Yeah its really old but it works pretty fine with the only issues being that it's on 32 bits

But if you are taking the second option be sure to install a mod called FSpassengers,its paid but it has a free demo that allows you to fully use it only on when taking off from San francisco.But either way it makes the sim a lot more realistic

There was this other flight sim called FSW that was a bit of a mess and it's no longer getting attention but it is a decent GA sim but the only thing that saves it are it's missions(and actually I don't even know if its on sale anymore defenetly not on steam!)

My personal advice is to wait for the new FSX microsoft didn't let us down (yet) with their flight sims and it looks really nice right now

FSX:Steam Edition.

If you catch it on sale, it's cheap.  There's a whole world of add-ons for it, free or professionally done.  If you don't care for the absolute latest graphics, it's fine (and how much detail can you really see from 20k feet and above?).  Of course, it's going to be completely obsolete in a year, but so is everything else.  Additionally, you don't need the latest computer for it, so you can save up and wait until FS2020 and KSP2 are released to upgrade.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.