Jump to content

[1.9.x] Store My Reports


Recommended Posts

Originally made by @cybutek, it hasn't been updated for a few years.  Original thread is here: https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/163826-13-store-my-reports-11-12017-07-31/

I've updated and optimized it for 1.8 since I desperately wanted it (ok, not desperately, but still wanted it)

The primary job of this mod is to fix the inability for Kerbals to find glove-boxes within their vessel or pockets on their EVA suits. You can now make crew reports and have them stored without the need to exit the vessel, take all of the reports out, then put them all back in again. It also allows Kerbals on EVA to store science data within pockets on their EVA suits.

Although this mod's primary goal is to alleviate the ridiculousness of crew report storage, it will also work with any other science experiments that have their own separate science containers within the same part. Experiment data will be automatically stored within these containers making room for further experiments.

Availability

Installation

Place the `StoreMyReports` folder found within the downloaded zip file into `GameData` found within the game's installation directory.


Configuration

To change these settings you can open the stock settings page

Automatically Discard Duplicates
When enabled this feature will automatically discard any duplicate science data if it already exists within the container (i.e capsule for crew reports and kerbal for eva reports).

Save Experiments Result Dialog Position
When enabled this feature will save the position of the  Experiments Result Dialog

 

Changes

  • Added InstallChecker
  • Added AssemblyVersion.tt
  • Added stock settings page
  • Removed old config support files (button, config window, config class)
  • Changed Update to LateUpdate
  • Added Events to catch when science is stored, removed an if from the Update (now LateUpdate)
  • Moved 2 lines of code from OnExperimentsResultDialogOpened to LateUpdate for optimization
  • Removed OnExperimentsResultDialogOpened method

 

Edited by linuxgurugamer
Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow that sounds great! It could be interpreted as a little bit "cheaty" right, because for instance a thermometer needs to be collected before it can run again, and the crew report now doesn't? I guess you err more on the side of "gameplay fun" instead of "stock-ness" in that sense, right?

I think I agree with that, will install tonight after work :)

Link to post
Share on other sites

If I get this right, I could add this behavior to for example the thermometer by adding the scienceboxcontainermodule thing to it? (Can’t recall the name at the moment, you know the one)

If so, sounds like Kerbin is about to enter the digital age where even a thermometer has a bit of storage for data. 

I’ll just leave out the whole Commnet of Things as that sounds like a nightmare to secure..

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, avalancha said:

Wow that sounds great! It could be interpreted as a little bit "cheaty" right, because for instance a thermometer needs to be collected before it can run again, and the crew report now doesn't? I guess you err more on the side of "gameplay fun" instead of "stock-ness" in that sense, right?

I think I agree with that, will install tonight after work :)

Well, a crew report is a kerbal making a report and storing the report in his pocket.  So that the next crew report won't overwrite it.  A thermometer does need to be collected, since it is external.  But, once collected, you don't have to do the "take all, store all" 

2 hours ago, Jognt said:

If I get this right, I could add this behavior to for example the thermometer by adding the scienceboxcontainermodule thing to it? (Can’t recall the name at the moment, you know the one)

If so, sounds like Kerbin is about to enter the digital age where even a thermometer has a bit of storage for data. 

I’ll just leave out the whole Commnet of Things as that sounds like a nightmare to secure..

Most likely

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/9/2019 at 6:15 AM, avalancha said:

Wow that sounds great! It could be interpreted as a little bit "cheaty" right, because for instance a thermometer needs to be collected before it can run again, and the crew report now doesn't? I guess you err more on the side of "gameplay fun" instead of "stock-ness" in that sense, right?

I think I agree with that, will install tonight after work :)

TBH the whole idea that you have to go on EVA, or have a storage container, to perform multiple crew reports never struck me as a good idea for gameplay. It's unrealistic and grindy. The only purpose I can see for it is to force players to go on EVA and motivate them to upgrade the Astronaut Complex as early as possible, and I can't help but think there are better ways to encourage EVAs.

That said, I'm really glad to see this mod resurface. Thanks, @linuxgurugamer, yet again!

Edited by LitaAlto
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LitaAlto said:

TBH the whole idea that you have to go on EVA, or have a storage container, to perform multiple crew reports never struck me as a good idea for gameplay. It's unrealistic and grindy. The only purpose I can see for it is to force players to go on EVA and motivate them to upgrade the Astronaut Complex as early as possible, and I can't help but think there are better ways to encourage EVAs.

That said, I'm really glad to see this mod resurface. Thanks, @linuxgurugamer, yet again!

I'm going to guess and say that it was just the way it was coded, and they never bothered to fix it

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...

What a great idea - I've been using Automated Science Sampler for this for years, but that doesn't help with EVA reports.

The stock logic just makes no sense, it's not like the pod only has room for these reports, because you can do the EVA shuffle to make room, just move them there to start with.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I never understood the problem with this in the stock game. I mean, that's exactly how NASA did it. I still remember to this day when Buzz replied to Neil's first words on the Moon with, "Yeah, well this is your first time off the ship. I've hopped in and out 30 times on the way here to store those crew reports."

More seriously thanks. If I didn't fully automate science already anyway this would be a must-install.

Link to post
Share on other sites
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...