About plane design

Target: design a highly maneuverable plane with conventional layout (2 vertical and 2 horizontal tails with 2 main wings)

FAR: Yes

CoM & CoL: the CoM is only a bit forward than CoL, the CoL is within the sphere of CoM

Problem: when flying, control the plane to rise its head will cause of trembling (up and down) head.

PS: I've already turned off the AoA and pitch SAS given by FAR, but the stock SAS is on.

Guess: The torque given by main wings is larger than that given by control-surface when the speed dropping down (which is cause by stalling)

Anyone has idea about this? Did someone once encountered this problem?

Thanks.

Edited by Scrooge

Just now, Incarnation of Chaos said:

Canards for extra pitch control are generally helpful if you're going for a inherently unstable design like this, but make sure to set the control limits so SAS doesn't freak out and cause noodling.

Canards have positive feedback when AoA is larger so I think it's a good idea.

But I am still curious about how this kind of phenomenon occurs, well, maybe it's not because of lift of main wings but the reverse torque given by SAS?

got an answer perfectly solve my puzzle.:lol:

To be honest, I've tried moving CoM backward until the aircraft was nearly static-unstable, but the improvement is limited.

I will try reduce angles of every control surfaces, and see how it goes.

Edited by Scrooge

On 12/10/2019 at 9:04 AM, Scrooge said:

Target: design a highly maneuverable plane with conventional layout (2 vertical and 2 horizontal tails with 2 main wings)

Check the assignment (right click) of each control surface. By default all axis are turned on. I found the planes hard to control once they are in a stall spin, with the CoM centered or slight in front. The SAS has no chance of regaining control nor manual control (keyboard or XBOX-Controller for Windows)...:ph34r:

That said please note that KSP ist not a very accurate simulation of aerodynamics...:lol:

2 hours ago, UncleManuel said:

Check the assignment (right click) of each control surface. By default all axis are turned on. I found the planes hard to control once they are in a stall spin, with the CoM centered or slight in front. The SAS has no chance of regaining control nor manual control (keyboard or XBOX-Controller for Windows)...:ph34r:

That said please note that KSP ist not a very accurate simulation of aerodynamics...:lol:

7D636B4AEC1A2EE20A679F707A5B8C35A04FB6E7

07F3D27A9F5EFF0B022DA656CA0FF75F38DDF4B4

571AB7ABFC31386A094DAE4EC759562DCD29BB96

Yeah, you are right, but I found it easy when you add exceeded control torque to fully cancel the fixed torque, then your plane can go any AoA you want...

I add TV engine (Panther), 2 reaction wheel, 40 degree control surfaces...and now, the plane can go stall and do Frolov's Chakra at a speed below 100m/s

High TWR make it quick to recover speed, I think I seize some inspiration, but I haven't figure the system out...:lol:

Edited by Scrooge

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.