Less realistic parts

mcwaffles2003

Under what circumstances are seemingly fictional technologies ok?  

103 members have voted

1. 1. Under what circumstances are seemingly fictional technologies ok?

• In base game
    • As DLC
    • Mods only, fiction has no place in KSP base or DLC

Please no fantasy tech like warp drives. Things like Orion might be ok since we know fission and fusion work without any doubt. Warp Drive is science fiction, it probably wouldn’t work as imagined in Star Trek. If at all.

*I voted no lol. I’d prefer it is kept within the realm of realistic engineering and physics.

Edited by Guest

I have a real aversion to things like wormholes and warp drives: mainly because it removes a core function from the game: the orbital mechanics. When you travel faster than light gravity can no longer be an influential factor. As such the whole idea of "orbits" is removed from the game, and you can almost travel in a straight line. Even if relativity is not taken into account.

"near future" things like orion engine, or vasimir and solar sails (infinite specific impulse for a solar sail) would be perfectly fine with me: they have theoretical roots and do not violate physical laws.

I'm not sure how you do interstellar travel without wormholes or warp drives, even if it's 1/10th scale, but if the devs find a way then I'd love to see fictional drive and power technologies as a DLC.

Normally I don't like "parts DLCs", because they fragment the player base.  I hate that I can't share a craft than needs a DLC part without caveats and warnings.  However, "post-endgame" tech, just fun stuff to play around with in sandbox or a completed campaign seems OK.  And, just in general, content that some players would love and others don't want in the game: perfect DLC.

On 1/2/2020 at 8:00 AM, paul23 said:

"near future" things like orion engine, or vasimir and solar sails (infinite specific impulse for a solar sail) would be perfectly fine with me: they have theoretical roots and do not violate physical laws.

Solar sails have aren't "near future" any more: they've been used.   A giant laser to push a craft up to interstellar speed might be "near future".  But the problem with that is it's continuous thrust, and so can't be "on rails".  I really hope the new physics engine would support something like that, because then it could also support multi-hour ion drive burns in the background while you flew other craft.

3 hours ago, Skorj said:

I'm not sure how you do interstellar travel without wormholes or warp drives, even if it's 1/10th scale,

You would probably hit the fast forward button like you do now so it doesn’t take 50+ years in real-time. 

(Totally looking forward to building some huge interstellar ships! Like from Avatar!)

Edited by Guest

12 hours ago, Skorj said:

But the problem with that is it's continuous thrust, and so can't be "on rails". 

Continuos thrust under warp and even in background has been confirmed since the very first interviews