[1.9.x] PicoPort, the Micro Docking Ports

linuxgurugamer

Forum user @steedcrugeon made these micro-sized docking ports at my suggestion, and eventually passed it to me.  I'm making a new thread now because of an update, I need to be able to change the subject, etc.  Original thread here: https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/155020-143-picoport-the-micro-docking-ports-v014/ 

PicoPort is a small parts mod pack which contains a set of very small Docking Ports intended for use with tiny probes.

5ol2kF7.png

EXxByBQ.png

Presently, this mod comprises four parts:

FYWre7n.png

Coupling:

1.    PicoPortBasic - This is an orientation specific, ungendered docking port. It will mate with other PicoPortBasics in only 4 positons (90 degree rotations). This is useful if you wish to use balanced RCS from porbes connecting to the mother vessel.
2.    PicoPortPlus - This is an ungendered docking port, similar to Clamp-o-Tron.
3.    PicoPortM -This is a Male PicoPort, non-orientation specific and will only dock with the femal counterpart.
4.    PicoPortF - This is a Female PicoPort, non-orientation specific and will only dock with the male counterpart.

Availability

Available via CKAN as well.

To install, download and copy the SHED folder directly into the your KSP GameData folder.

Licensing: 

The contents of this mod are distributed a CC-BY-NC-SA International License (please refer to the license file on github for further details).

Highly Recommended Supporting Mods:

PicoPort is a stand-alone parts mod and does not have any other mod dependencies, that said, it has been designed around the utilisation of supporting mods and it is highly recommended that you add them to your collection (they are very useful in their own right).

I must say thank you to @DStaal for setting me off down the path of this pack, its been a good learning experience (basically blame him). Also thanks to him and @linuxgurugamer for helping with testing and development ideas. 

Change Log: 

Reveal hidden contents

Feedback and suggestion:

Always welcome, if you have any ideas which you might like to see implemented let me know and i'll see what can be done!

Localisation now supported!

Any translations would be greatly appreciated.

Update 0.1.6

• Converted TGA files to DDS
  • Updated for KSP 1.8

Would it be possible to switch between Basic, Plus, Male, and Female ports mid-flight using animations(?) (like cargo bays)? I.e. having moving parts that can be deployed and retracted stuffed in one single part instead of having them separated into four different parts?

Also, having Male, Female, and Plus versions of the Jr., standard, and Senior ports would help a lot! Also, maybe a sideways/linear port that you slide into instead of docking face-to-face and are only able to face forward or backward? Where a docking port is a reusable stack decoupler, the linear port would be a reusable radial decoupler. It'd be useful for removable wings on SSTOs, weapon racks, parasite fighters, re-attachable drop tanks, and other stuff.

Either way, it's awesome to see Pico Port being maintained again! It's a surpsingly useful mod for the kind of stuff I do!

21 hours ago, Fireheart318 said:

Would it be possible to switch between Basic, Plus, Male, and Female ports mid-flight using animations(?) (like cargo bays)? I.e. having moving parts that can be deployed and retracted stuffed in one single part instead of having them separated into four different parts?

Also, having Male, Female, and Plus versions of the Jr., standard, and Senior ports would help a lot! Also, maybe a sideways/linear port that you slide into instead of docking face-to-face and are only able to face forward or backward? Where a docking port is a reusable stack decoupler, the linear port would be a reusable radial decoupler. It'd be useful for removable wings on SSTOs, weapon racks, parasite fighters, re-attachable drop tanks, and other stuff.

Either way, it's awesome to see Pico Port being maintained again! It's a surpsingly useful mod for the kind of stuff I do!

To all your questions, the answer is no.  These ports are small and simple.  It doesnt make sense to have male& female ports if they could be switched in flight..  You can look at the following two mods which are supplemental to this which may help:

https://github.com/linuxgurugamer/PicoPort4AllSizes  

https://spacedock.info/mod/2245/PicoPort Shielded

• 2 months later...
4 hours ago, Tinkman said:

@linuxgurugamer There used to be a mod for shielded versions of pico ports, is there any chance you might revive it? Also, thank you for keeping the huge library of mods you are currently maintaining alive!!

It's here: https://spacedock.info/mod/2245/PicoPort Shielded

8 hours ago, Tinkman said:

@linuxgurugamer There used to be a mod for shielded versions of pico ports, is there any chance you might revive it? Also, thank you for keeping the huge library of mods you are currently maintaining alive!!

*chuckle* - Sanka cha dead? nope. :D

was just about to review it for any moderizations/updates before releasing a new version. right after docking port descriptions.

thanks @linuxgurugamer

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Latest version 0.1.6.1 is giving an error on game startup (upon reaching main menu), KSP Installation Validation Error (or something to that effect, don't have it to hand), and says the files should be in <KSP Installation Directory>/GameData//SHED (double slash prior to SHED is quoted). I've just reverted to 0.1.6 and it works fine. For both versions I'm using KSP 1.8.1, CKAN says 0.1.6.1 is still suitable for 1.8.1 so I'm presuming that's not the issue. Just a heads up anyway. 0.1.6 performs perfectly fine for me atm :)

Edited by TeddyBearBonfire

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 5/22/2020 at 7:53 AM, TeddyBearBonfire said:

Latest version 0.1.6.1 is giving an error on game startup (upon reaching main menu), KSP Installation Validation Error (or something to that effect, don't have it to hand), and says the files should be in <KSP Installation Directory>/GameData//SHED (double slash prior to SHED is quoted). I've just reverted to 0.1.6 and it works fine. For both versions I'm using KSP 1.8.1, CKAN says 0.1.6.1 is still suitable for 1.8.1 so I'm presuming that's not the issue. Just a heads up anyway. 0.1.6 performs perfectly fine for me atm :)

Can confirm. Even tough mod installed literally how this error asks to install.

2 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

What version?  Not sure what you mean by the above statement, but the @TeddyBearBonfire was commenting on 0.1.6.1.

How did you install it?

It is 0.1.6.2 version. I dropped SHED folder into GameData. And error asks me to drop SHED folder into GameData :/

Completely same error as @TeddyBearBonfire had.

Edited by Selphadur

2 minutes ago, Selphadur said:

It is 0.1.6.2 version. I dropped SHED folder into GameData. And error asks me to drop SHED folder into GameData :/

Completely same error as @TeddyBearBonfire had.

Ok, I'll look at it this evening.  You can ignore it for now, it's just a warning message 

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I thought this mod would be great for those (like me) that build small probes and want to provide them with refueling options.

Unfortunately, I found out picoport probes don't accept fuel transfers. Rebuilding the same probes with Clamp-O-Tron Docking Port Jr. accept fuel transfer with no problem... I compared both .cfg files to create some MM patch but could not find WHAT is the difference.

Can someone help me? @linuxgurugamer?

1 hour ago, jlcarneiro said:

I thought this mod would be great for those (like me) that build small probes and want to provide them with refueling options.

Unfortunately, I found out picoport probes don't accept fuel transfers. Rebuilding the same probes with Clamp-O-Tron Docking Port Jr. accept fuel transfer with no problem... I compared both .cfg files to create some MM patch but could not find WHAT is the difference.

Can someone help me? @linuxgurugamer?

I think I got it:

@PART[PicoPort*] {
	MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleToggleCrossfeed
		// crossfeedStatus = False
		toggleEditor = True
		toggleFlight = True
	}
}

Is that correct?

23 hours ago, jlcarneiro said:

I think I got it:

@PART[PicoPort*] {
	MODULE
	{
		// crossfeedStatus = False
		toggleEditor = True
		toggleFlight = True
	}
}

Is that correct?

If you intend to allow crossfeed always, you can  change it to this:

@PART[PicoPort*] {
	MODULE
	{
		crossfeedStatus = True
		toggleEditor = True
		toggleFlight = True
	}
}

but other than that, it looks ok

On 2/12/2021 at 10:30 PM, linuxgurugamer said:

If you intend to allow crossfeed always, you can  change it to this:

@PART[PicoPort*] {
	MODULE
	{
		crossfeedStatus = True
		toggleEditor = True
		toggleFlight = True
	}
}

but other than that, it looks ok

Thanks, man! Not only for your kind answer, but ALSO for your awesome job taking so many mods under your wing!

I think I'll try to create a new Clamp-o-tron Picoport based on Clamp-o-tron Jr., though. Can you help me some more?  I'm using some of Picoport's data:

+PART[dockingPort3]
{
	@name = dockingPort_pico
	@rescaleFactor = 0.5
	@entryCost = 6000
	@cost = 500
	@title = Clamp-O-Tron Docking Micro Port
	@description = After a toy company recently disposed of numerous novelty fridge magnets due to a unit error on the drawings, Clamp-O-Tron announced the release of a new type of sub-miniature docking port. The two events are entirely unrelated.
	@mass = 0.01
	@maximum_drag = 0.05
	@minimum_drag = 0.05
	@angularDrag = 0.25

@MODULE[ModuleDockingNode]
	{
//		@nodeTransformName = dockPoint
		@referenceAttachNode = top
		@nodeType = size00
		@stagingEnabled = False
		@acquireRange = 0.1
		@captureRange = 0.05
		@acquireForce = 0.5
	}

@MODULE[ModuleCargoPart]
	{
		packedVolume = 70
	}
}

But, although I change acquireRange, captureRange and acquireForce, values remain the same in VAB... Is there some mod to see all properties of a part?

UPDATE: I think I got it working, I changed all "@" to "%".... Is that correct?

Edited by jlcarneiro

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.