[1.9.x] PicoPort, the Micro Docking Ports

linuxgurugamer

HI @linuxgurugamer,

I've been playing with these PicoPorts and I found a bug and a missing feature and have come up with fixes for both of them.

• When used with your  DockingCamKURS, the camera is pointing in the wrong direction.
  • The PicoPorts aren't flagged as cargo parts so you cant put them in inventory and use then in EVA construction, which I felt was something that should be added, as the Clamp-O-Tron Jr.  can be.

This is my first attempt at modding but the patches seem simple and I've tested them on 1.12.2. I've included the MM fix for removing the ModuleCargoPart on KSP < 1.11 sa this mod is compatible with 1.9.x but haven't found a way of testing that.

Assuming you'd like to have these, would you like me to have a go at trying to do a Git fork / pull request with these (I'll do two, one for each issue) or would you prefer another method? 

Hi @linuxgurugamer,

Here's a zip with just the changed files https://drive.google.com/file/d/1NdEeF59VJKOwd6bzxd3VaUnbcm6X0CZE/view?usp=sharing, that should be unzippable to the SHED directory.

I added the cargo part module to the parts and removed them in Pre KSP 1.11 with a MM patch so that this works without MM in up-to-date versions of KSP but requires MM for older versions (I believe there's an issue with parts with a cargo part module not having a PAW in KSP < 1.11) as this seemed the best way to do it. But, as I said I have no way of testing this.

Edited by Robin Patenall
Got the unzip directory wrong

2 hours ago, Robin Patenall said:

Hi @linuxgurugamer,

Here's a zip with just the changed files https://drive.google.com/file/d/1NdEeF59VJKOwd6bzxd3VaUnbcm6X0CZE/view?usp=sharing, that should be unzippable to the SHED directory.

I added the cargo part module to the parts and removed them in Pre KSP 1.11 with a MM patch so that this works without MM in up-to-date versions of KSP but requires MM for older versions (I believe there's an issue with parts with a cargo part module not having a PAW in KSP < 1.11) as this seemed the best way to do it. But, as I said I have no way of testing this.

Thank you.  I can't include the preKSP1-11 patch to remove the ModuleCargoPart, since most people install this with CKAN, the patch will remove the ModuleCargoPart.  I'm not aware of there being an issue as you describe

How did you calculate the cargo size?

7 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Thank you.  I can't include the preKSP1-11 patch to remove the ModuleCargoPart, since most people install this with CKAN, the patch will remove the ModuleCargoPart.  I'm not aware of there being an issue as you describe

How did you calculate the cargo size?

The preKSP1-11 patch should be fine on KSP1-11 and above as it's predicated on not having a part that is in 1.11, and should do nothing in 1.11 and above (it was ignored when I checked the MM logs during testing). This is based on the stuff that is in the thread below and currently in the Near Future mods (https://github.com/post-kerbin-mining-corporation/NearFutureElectrical/blob/master/GameData/NearFutureElectrical/Patches/NFElectrical1-10.cfg), but please feel free to leave it out, as I said I don't have and old copy of KSP to test against. 

I based the cargo size on the pico ports being 1/4th the weight of a Clamp-O-Tron Jr (0.005t to 0.020t) so, given the same density, they be 1/4 the volume (35l to 140l). A quick idiot check based on the pico port being 0.3125m in diameter (half of 0.625m) gives a 35l box that is approximately 0.3584m high, so it seems to be in the right ballpark. 

Edit:

Having written that down and thought about it for a couple of hours, I'm not so sure my logic is sound. I assumed that the density would be the same as it would be made of the same material but now I think about it, it's the overall density of the part the matters which can change. A naive scaling of the Clamp-O-Tron Jr gives a volume of  17.5l, so perhaps 20l would be better than 35l. This does mean that a Kerbal could go EVA with a EVA jetpack and a PicoPort to fit, which might actually be better idea.

My original plan was to avoid this as I felt that having to get a rescue craft, a stranded Mun lander and an engineer all within EVA construction range was a reasonable punishment for leaving most of my hero Kerbals in very low Mun orbit with no fuel because I cant read DeltaV chart.

Edited by Robin Patenall
I can't physics.

5 hours ago, Robin Patenall said:

The preKSP1-11 patch should be fine on KSP1-11 and above as it's predicated on not having a part that is in 1.11, and should do nothing in 1.11 and above (it was ignored when I checked the MM logs during testing). This is based on the stuff that is in the thread below and currently in the Near Future mods (https://github.com/post-kerbin-mining-corporation/NearFutureElectrical/blob/master/GameData/NearFutureElectrical/Patches/NFElectrical1-10.cfg), but please feel free to leave it out, as I said I don't have and old copy of KSP to test against. 

OK, I missed that

5 hours ago, Robin Patenall said:

I based the cargo size on the pico ports being 1/4th the weight of a Clamp-O-Tron Jr (0.005t to 0.020t) so, given the same density, they be 1/4 the volume (35l to 140l). A quick idiot check based on the pico port being 0.3125m in diameter (half of 0.625m) gives a 35l box that is approximately 0.3584m high, so it seems to be in the right ballpark. 

Volume is not mass.  I'll recalculate the volumes before merging

• 7 months later...
On 9/9/2021 at 6:05 PM, Robin Patenall said:

HI @linuxgurugamer,

I've been playing with these PicoPorts and I found a bug and a missing feature and have come up with fixes for both of them.

• When used with your  DockingCamKURS, the camera is pointing in the wrong direction.
  • The PicoPorts aren't flagged as cargo parts so you cant put them in inventory and use then in EVA construction, which I felt was something that should be added, as the Clamp-O-Tron Jr.  can be.

This is my first attempt at modding but the patches seem simple and I've tested them on 1.12.2. I've included the MM fix for removing the ModuleCargoPart on KSP < 1.11 sa this mod is compatible with 1.9.x but haven't found a way of testing that.

Assuming you'd like to have these, would you like me to have a go at trying to do a Git fork / pull request with these (I'll do two, one for each issue) or would you prefer another method? 

Thank you for these, working on adding and releasing now

New release, 0.1.6.4

• Thanks to forum user @Robin Patenall for these:
    • Fixes the camera When used with DockingCamKURS, make the camera point in the right direction
    • Added ModuleCargo Part. 
      • Note:  The actual volumes were modified from what was supplied

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.