game randomly closes without warning :(

ive had this happen twice today, i loaded a VAB ship in the SPH, launched, crashed, reverted, then the game force closed.

upon reload, i just went straight to the runway with the ship, and once again, the came force closed upon revert.

ksp loghttps://www.dropbox.com/s/4sj61okshkxot6t/Player.log?dl=0

and my mods
p1YZ7FV.png

Edited by putnamto

Googling the errors at the end of the log:

d3d11: failed to create buffer
d3d11: attempt to lock null buffer

I see references to verifying game files on Steam. It's worth a shot. Also, reinstalling your mods may be in order. Also (and easier) would be verifying your graphics driver is up to date.

Also, you could add -force-glcore to your switches (I see you already use -popupwindow so just put it there) and see if that alleviates the problem as the game won't be using d3d11 anymore.

4 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

Googling the errors at the end of the log:

d3d11: failed to create buffer

d3d11: attempt to lock null buffer

I see references to verifying game files on Steam. It's worth a shot. Also, reinstalling your mods may be in order. Also (and easier) would be verifying your graphics driver is up to date.

Also, you could add -force-glcore to your switches (I see you already use -popupwindow so just put it there) and see if that alleviates the problem as the game won't be using d3d11 anymore.

if you dont mind me asking, you seem more knowledgeable than myself, ive never understood the driver thing, its a suggestion for almost every game that just randomly stops working and its never made sense to me, if the game works for x amount of time, and you've changed nothing, then suddenly it starts crashing why would updating graphics drivers do anything? i know it does sometimes, but i have no understanding of this.

edit, also the verify steam files thing, if i havent gone into the games folder and done anything with the files themselves, why would they need verification?

im not trying to sound like a prick or anything, im just curious.

Edited by putnamto

1 hour ago, putnamto said:

im not trying to sound like a prick or anything, im just curious.

Not at all, and it's not always obvious.

For the drivers, newer software will use news drive features and if the drivers aren't updated that can cause issues.

For verifying Steam files, I really don't know but it works. For some reason 1.8 has required it a lot more than previous versions. Buggy software is my guess. *shrug*

26 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

For the drivers, newer software will use news drive features and if the drivers aren't updated that can cause issues.

If you are using a embedded GPU (as Mac Minis, my current rig), be aware that abusing the "VRAM" can also leads to random crashes. On my case, it's an Apple problem, not Unity's or KSP - when you overrun the dynamically allocated VRAM ("stole" from the CPU RAM), the drivers start to use the RAM too (as most discrete GPUs does), and somehow now and then something gots overlap and the process is killed by a SIG_ABORT.

I solved my random crashes by lowering the textures quality as I install Add'Ons - a clean KSP install runs fine with Half Res, but a heavy modded KSP only runs stable with Eighth Res on my old rig using a HD3000 graphics. (Stop laughing, please. :D)

Now that I understood my rig's limitations (and it sounds pretty obvious by now!), it's virtually almost a year since my last inexplicable crash. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.