[1.5 - 1.10] Kerbalism 3.11

Sir Mortimer

1 hour ago, theJesuit said:

@The-Doctor I'm kinda working on everything at the moment.  Simplex profile, simplex resources and the Tetrix (simplex 2) tech tree. 

Do you want to PM me with what you would want more stockish?

The simplex profile basically leaves science, comms, radiation alone and only affects the LS resources.  Air and consumables.  Also the fuel cells are MP and Air or LFO.  And the isru becomes the stock formula's again ie.  Ore to LFO or MP.

Peace.

Send me a private message and I'll let you know asap 

Hi, I'm having problems with nitrogen consumption when connecting my lander to space station. On all parts, habitat is enabled. I connect lander to a station with docking port, everything's fine. But when I transfer the crew from lander to space station, I start loosing nitrogen rapidly. As if the pumps were presurizing the lander can, but the can says habitat enabled, not pressurising. This way I lose all my nitrogen in few minutes. I tried other thing, went for EVA with lander crew. Lander can habitat switches to "pressurising", uses some nitrogen and after few seconds it evens the pressure and the nitrogen consumption stops. And then I can board the crew to the other station parts.

Strange think is that this happens only with the Mk1 lander can. When I transfer crew for example between ship with Mk3 command pod and the space station, I loose no extra nitrogen, which is corrrect in my opinion.

Anyone knows how to fix it?

Thanks.

39 minutes ago, mindstalker said:

the pod isn't actually pressurized

Maybe you mean Mk1 Command Pod, which is not pressurised. But Mk1 Lander Can is. It behaves so. When it's connected to the station with noone in, when I turn off the habitat, the pressure starts slowly dropping, when I enable it again, the pumps raise the pressure to 100%, everything works well. Just the crew cransfer from the pod triggers some bug I think.

Can the developers check on the following issue: 

Kerbalism incorrectly modifies the required electrical consumption rate for the Electrical propeller parts from WildBlueIndustries/Buffalo. Original mod from WBI requires a few hundred EC/s. The adjusted rates are three to four orders of magnitude larger. There are no mod-available generators that can give you that (unless you play interstellar and even that is a stretch). I believe this is an error, but I can't find it in any config files, therefore I am pushing the question to the devel team. I apologize for not posting screen shots at this point but I will follow up with more details.  I checked this with the base game ( just squad/squad expansion in game data) where I added the WBI/Buffalo mod first. Checked the rates on those parts and they were nominal. Added Kerbalism/Kerbalism configs, module manager and resource pack and checked again and the numbers were ridiculously large. Removed Kerbalism and the numbers returned to nominal. Typically I don't use those parts so I haven't noticed until yesterday even though I've been playing kerbalism for close to a year. Base game version is 1.7.3 and kerbalism is version 3.0.2. Since 3.2 is advertised for 1.8.x I haven't switched yet as I need other mods to work there as well. Therefore I am not sure if the 3.2 version (either intentionally or accidentally) addresses this issue. 

thanks 

2 hours ago, pp3d said:

Can the developers check on the following issue: 

Kerbalism incorrectly modifies the required electrical consumption rate for the Electrical propeller parts from WildBlueIndustries/Buffalo. Original mod from WBI requires a few hundred EC/s. The adjusted rates are three to four orders of magnitude larger. There are no mod-available generators that can give you that (unless you play interstellar and even that is a stretch). I believe this is an error, but I can't find it in any config files, therefore I am pushing the question to the devel team. I apologize for not posting screen shots at this point but I will follow up with more details.  I checked this with the base game ( just squad/squad expansion in game data) where I added the WBI/Buffalo mod first. Checked the rates on those parts and they were nominal. Added Kerbalism/Kerbalism configs, module manager and resource pack and checked again and the numbers were ridiculously large. Removed Kerbalism and the numbers returned to nominal. Typically I don't use those parts so I haven't noticed until yesterday even though I've been playing kerbalism for close to a year. Base game version is 1.7.3 and kerbalism is version 3.0.2. Since 3.2 is advertised for 1.8.x I haven't switched yet as I need other mods to work there as well. Therefore I am not sure if the 3.2 version (either intentionally or accidentally) addresses this issue. 

thanks 

update: loaded the latest, 3.2 with 1.7.3... same issue. Pictures below (before and after kerbalism)

6cJA1ZH.jpg

wf9H9Nc.png

@pp3d We are aware of the issue with some WBI dependant mods (Airships, Buffalo...) due to us using the same "Atmosphere" resource name with a different density. Unfortunately changing that name would break all existing saves, and since we are planning to remove that resource we won't fix it, sorry for that.

@lk00david See https://github.com/Kerbalism/Kerbalism/wiki/FAQ#q-my-probes-use-12-ecs-for-comms-and-die-within-seconds

@tinygrox Feel free to contribute another language if you can, but be aware that the Kerbalism UI code is (very) partially localized.

so how kerbalism change ec so nether of other mods can not read it ? i really love this mod but it would be nice that if i have stock ec. i know u cant change mod for every individual so some info would be nice to do it myself. (if even possible)

ps: my rpm iva. and amp year cant read ec

On 12/28/2019 at 5:57 PM, lk00david said:

this question may have been answered, but how do you view the total amount of science you will have once transmissions are done, or is that not a thing?

Right click on your science part. It will let you know how many science you have collected vs. how many science is available. Unlike stock you do not lose science based on your % of connection with ksc.

Edited by IceCube

Can someone confirm whether kerbalism is meant to allow 100% sustainable bases on a given planet? Mainly due to food as the description of the green house specifies that greenhouse is mostly there to provide oxygen?

I am trying some early design for the first time to understand the full rss process flow and clearly can’t manage to get a sustainable food generation unless I am adding a crazy amount of greenhouses for a very limited number of kerbals.

maybe some additional mods allow that? I’ve noticed that space station redux add greenhouses with a better return on food. Mod has too many parts for my potato mac though. Might only use the greenhouse parts. Maybe planetary base mod?

Thanks for the feedback and happy new year to all

@IceCube  yes it can but it is difficult.  As you also need to provide entertainment and sick bay upgrades to a hitchhiker. These are expensive to run.

You'll need to mine particular resources too.  So while feasible, it is hard.

Yes the SSPX greenhouses provide more food per harvest.  Not sure on theor oxygen though. 

Peace.

5 hours ago, theJesuit said:

@IceCube  yes it can but it is difficult.  As you also need to provide entertainment and sick bay upgrades to a hitchhiker. These are expensive to run.

You'll need to mine particular resources too.  So while feasible, it is hard.

Yes the SSPX greenhouses provide more food per harvest.  Not sure on theor oxygen though. 

Peace.

Main issue is that parts will break down and are not always fixable. And radiation damage keeps adding up.

Thanks for the quick reply guys! 
I might give it a try with a tiny outpost able to cater for an engineer’s need and see how it goes from there. Mining the proper ressources might be an issue as stated! 
cheers

btw I love the complexity of the mod and the fact that you need to spend much more time in the vab to plan everything out!

Great mod, I'm re-exploring!

------------ Edit ----------

It seems that the ScienceOnly config is not for 3.2, but not obvious from CKAN :(

------------ /Edit ----------

I'm using KerblismScienceOnly config on KSP 1.8.1 (is it compatible?) with UnKerballedStart and others, and found a bug, I think.

When I change the probe core (stayputnik) to enable the Geiger counter, there is an error. FPS is dropped, log is full of

[EXC 15:04:18.906] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
        KERBALISM.Experiment.Update () (at <d0c64642e7b34b419c7638a19618d36d>:0)
        UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
        ModuleManager.UnityLogHandle.InterceptLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
        UnityEngine.Debug:CallOverridenDebugHandler(Exception, Object)

, and there is no Geiger counter.

Screenshots, logs are here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1cn5Nvfxi5cZ-A74TlaoI247ojspId6N-

Did I miss a mod dependency?

Edited by kubi
more investigations done

Thank you for this awesome mod. I hope something like this will be vanilla in KSP2.

After conquoring Kerbin, Mun and Minmus i have worked out a lot of what Kerbalism has to offer. Probes, rovers and some kerballed landings.

Now i am off to Duna. I have done some tests in sandbox mode, and i seem to die to radiation each time.

After 360 days in space they reach 50% radiation. I took 4 kerbals up into a sun orbit.

• Bill in the "Asylum storm shelter" which advertises beying able to protect against solar flares. I added max shielding to this one.
  • Valentina in a hitch hiker which advertises itself as being able to cure radiation. RDU is turned ON, but not actively curing Val.
  • Bob in a deep space laboratory
  • Jeb in a cuppola.

Of those Valentina is the lowest at 43% and bob is at 45%. Overall i attribute none of the differences between them to the modules they are in, but rather some randomness (but i could be wrong?)

I got hit by quite a few solar flares during my  test, it didn't seem to have any impact on the ship or crew. What effect should i expect? Bob, Jeb and Val outside the shelter took just as much (if any) damage as Bill in the shelter. I parked the ship so all 4 got nuked (according to the info hover message)

Then i sent up the same ship, with shielding maximised for all modules, and voila they only got 10ish% after 360 days.

Maybe i am reading too much into the descriptions of the modules, or maybe there's a mod conflict? I just don't quite know what to expect gameplay wise with the radiation mechanic. 

Radiation and shielding is averaged over the whole vessel, it doesn't matter where the kerbals are.
Currently the only way of changing that is by disabling specific habitats, which isn't really practical because that will depressurize them.
Gameplay wise, the basic recommendadtion are :
- Max out shielding for anything interplanetary, you will need a lot of extra margin, trust me.
- Avoid getting inside radiation belts as much as possible
- Follow this guide to design a vessel that minimize solar storm induced radiation : https://github.com/Kerbalism/Kerbalism/wiki/PlayGuide-~-Environment#coronal-mass-ejection-cme